Multimedia Games Reviews | Glassdoor

"What happened?"

Former Employee - QA Analyst II in Austin, TX
    Former Employee - QA Analyst II in Austin, TX

I worked at Multimedia Games full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The company is not going away. It has enough recurring revenue and money in the bank to coast for quite a while despite its massive debt load.

Cons

The family atmosphere, the fun, and the comradery are gone. The salary's used to be competitive, but they are now stagnating while the rest of the jobs in that field in Austin are raising wages quickly. In one situation my job title changed so that they could say I was making closer to 100% industry average than I was before. Nice trick. On paper it looked like a 7% raise, in reality it was about 2%. To top it off, mobility is limited, and a pathway to promotion is vague, or changes year over year.

Its things like this that has killed the atmosphere. Talent is leaving for more money and less rigidity. The company feels very top heavy as well.

Many benefits have been rolled back, or re-tooled to appear better, but actually end up worse. I understand streamlining and cost synergies, but at this point it is sacrificing long term growth in the name of short term gains.

Advice to Management

Go back to the roots of Multimedia. The sense of family, the fun, and the insane amount of talent lead to monumental growth. Turning GCA/MGAM into the HP/Compaq merger is not the way to go...

"Dropping the ball"

I have been working at Multimedia Games full-time

Pros

It used to be a great place to work. Most of the people that made Mgam so great have already left, but some are still remaining.

Cons

Since GCA took over, the company culture started going downhill fast. There's very little communication, the workload has doubled, all the little perks from before have been either taken away or are frowned upon. Employee morale and communication is low and there is no real way to address issues directly (without fear of backlash). In many ways the prevailing mentality is very high school-esque, lots of office politics. Salary is decent, but not particularly competitive.

Advice to Management

Take some lessons from Pat Ramsey (he was an excellent company leader).

"What happened?"

I have been working at Multimedia Games full-time

Pros

Hard to say. A lot of what made this company so inviting and welcoming years ago is gone.

Cons

A lot of high school mentality, it feels like people are out to get you.

Decisions seem to be based on the mood of those in charge.

A LOT of inconsistency in terms of whats acceptable and what is not for work and everything under the sun. One higher-up will say its okay, another one will say its not. Some people may get called in for doing X, while another wont be told its an issue at all. Makes it very difficult to know what you really need to do.

Culture has changed drastically. What was once a welcoming, friendly and family-like work environment has become what feels to be very toxic - a lot of that which comes from upper management and trickles down to employees.

No longer competitive salary. Doesnt help that a lot of achievements or diligent work will be overlooked.

Supervisors can tend to throw people under the bus or jump ship immediately.

Advice to Management

Re-evaluate your upper management team and delegate more power to keep everyone calmer. Its not a healthy environment when things are based on peoples' moods. Because of this a lot of employees fear speaking up because they also don't want to burn bridges or risk bad reviews. Particularly in the dev department.

"Not the old MGAM anymore"

Former Employee - Software Developer in Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Software Developer in Austin, TX

I worked at Multimedia Games full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Not very much anymore. All of the things and people that made this company great are now gone.

Cons

Management changeover after the GCA acquisition has taken its toll on the company and culture. Communication is at an all time low.

Advice to Management

Make this an enjoyable place to work again and the talent will return.

"Hopeful but going downhill"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

I have been working at Multimedia Games full-time (More than a year)

Pros

MGAM used to be a great company and I have hopes that it will be again. Flexible work schedule good benefits, fun events and nice coworkers all make working here fun and rewarding.

Cons

Since our GCA acquisition, things have gone downhill. Fun events and employee YEI rewards systems have been cut, workloads have doubled and all of us have a sense that we're being used until they can feasibly get rid of us (despite many announcements to the contrary). Our executive team is more interested in a rushed pace to accommodate an arbitrary integration deadline than to take the time to get things right. This pace does not allow us to properly implement processes and complete testing which will leave us with system fallout issues for years to come. Work smarter is not a concept that is being demonstrated here recently.

Advice to Management

Stop killing the culture of the company you just paid big dollars to acquire. Communication is key and that doesn't mean standing in front of us for 15 minutes on an occasional visit while spouting announcements contrary to your actions. Allow both sides of our new team to demonstrate their skill rather than have them scurry through your unnecessarily quick deadlines for integration. All you are doing is making a bigger mess to clean up later most likely with your truly skilled staff already gone.

"Good Company Turning Bad."

I have been working at Multimedia Games full-time

Pros

decent pay and the staff is not too big. flexible with time off.

Cons

Unrealistic expectations and overload of work since the company got acquired. lots of egos among the staff and very tense environment. it's like an episode of survivor every week.

Advice to Management

Don't sell out.

"Not bad"

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Austin, TX

I have been working at Multimedia Games (More than a year)

Pros

flexible hours, good family environment

Cons

lack of direction from senior management

Advice to Management

Focus on building a software company with the standards of today.

"QA"

Current Employee - QA Analyst in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - QA Analyst in Austin, TX

I have been working at Multimedia Games full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good work environment, discounts on food, plenty of events, low stress compared to other QA jobs. Team oriented friendly.

Cons

Hard to move up. All the executives that made this company successful and a great place to work have been let go by GCA. No option to work from home. Many good people leaving since GCA took over.

Advice to Management

Keep the culture that was successful for us the past 4 years.

"Was once great. :("

I worked at Multimedia Games full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Pay
    Office environment, until lately
    Company outings and events, until lately
    Very good work/life balance, until lately
    Company kitchen is very convenient and well stocked

Cons

Oh, where to begin?
    After a bumpy ride for a few years, the company really came into it's own and seemed to be thriving...until it was bought out.
    Morale is at an all time low.
    The work location is still absolutely horrible, and will continue to be via a renewed lease.
    Everyone is looking out for themselves instead of working as a team.
    People are worried about if they'll have a job.
    Good management/VP got let go.
    The technology is ancient.

Advice to Management

Take care of the people who make the company successful! Stop selling out!

"Voted one of the best places to work in Austin by its employees for many years in a row ... BUT"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

I have been working at Multimedia Games full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Overall a really GREAT place to work!
    - A growing company in the casino industry
    - Flexible work hours
    - Great work/life balance
    - Generous snack subsidy and choices
    - Super casual dress code
    - A lot of training opportunity if you want it
    - Depending on the group, you get to work with a bunch of fun people
    - Does things to show employee appreciation

Cons

- Company just got bought by another casino-related company and has started laying people off
    - New executives changed bonus payout to once a year instead of every quarter depending on goals met
    - Not sure yet if new executives are going to start messing with the great atmosphere here
    - Not a lot of opportunity for career growth. People seem to be able to do career advancement after they leave.

Advice to Management

This has been a REALLY great place to work! Will your employees want to keep rating this company as one of Austin's best places to work? Be careful what you do with this place. I know you spent a lot of money to buy us but that doesn't mean you need to come in and gut this place.