Munson Healthcare Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated March 21, 2017

Full-time Part-time

Rating Trends Rating Trends
Edwin A. Ness

Pros
  • The Traverse City area is a wonderful place to live (in 6 reviews)

• great team work among all employees, good salaries,etc (in 3 reviews)

Cons
  • Low pay, small town, cliquey, "View of the bay, half the pay", high staff turnover, non-competitive pay because there is no competition in the area (in 5 reviews)

• The cost of living is NOT factored into wages (in 3 reviews)

1. "Munson Healthcare"

Current Employee - Nursing Assistant
    Current Employee - Nursing Assistant

I have been working at Munson Healthcare part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Traverse City is a beautiful place to live year round. Munson Medical Center is a great teaching hospital for nursing students. Wide array of units - many opportunities to specialize with different patient demographics. Overall, I have experienced a teamwork-based approach to patient care, which is always refreshing and appreciated in coworkers.

Cons

Munson has been notorious for the below market average that employees earn in terms of hourly wage. The idea of offering a type of raise based on incentive as opposed to annual market matching is consistently ignored. Nearly all policies for individual units are determined per "manager discretion." This leaves room for frustrating inconsistencies between employees, and ultimately takes a negative toll on the way staff perceive management. Frequently I have noticed a tendency nurses have to become pigeonholed on certain units due to institution or unit policies requiring 1-2+ year tenures. Here, the manager holds you to a policy that is left to "manager discretion," citing this as an appropriate reason for their vetoing of potential department transfers. It seems to be evolving continuously into a sort of monopoly affecting Northern Michigan healthcare professionals, nurses in particular. For bedside nurses living in Michigan, it is one of few acute care facilities North of Grand Rapids, making it difficult to find other options outside the Munson name. I have felt a significant decrease in overall morale the past few years. Working every other weekend (Saturday/Sunday) will be something you can schedule out until retirement. Many units have a painfully slow transition process from hiring in on nights to transferring onto days.

Advice to Management

Listen, be fair, and be kind. Communicate, recognize our accomplishments, and show gratitude by throwing out a "Great work!" or a pat on the back once in a while. Little things like this go far for morale. Happy staff = happy patients = increased patient satisfaction ratings = happy manager. Consistently showing genuine appreciation will undoubtedly create a lasting ripple effect throughout the unit.

2. "Fair"

I worked at Munson Healthcare full-time

Pros

Lived close to hospital that was good

Cons

I don't know of any

Advice to Management

To much management

3. "Where people go to settle..."

I have been working at Munson Healthcare full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Enjoy the pepole I work with, that's about it.

Cons

No guarantee for raises, management is all about the all mighty dollar, major paradigm shift with new management

5. "Munson Healthcare"

I have been working at Munson Healthcare full-time

Pros

One of the largest and best employers in Northern Michigan

Cons

Low pay, undergoing significant changes/uncertainty

"A great place to work if you have a trust fund to help"

I have been working at Munson Healthcare full-time

Pros

The insurance is decent. My coworkers are great as are most of the hospital employees. To repeat the administration's mantra, it IS a great place to work, if you can afford it. It's a great model of fiscal America in miniature - some make a livable wage, most live in poverty and a very few keep almost all the money. The top guy makes more in an hour than the guys who stock the operating room cases make in a week.

Cons

They pay the bare minimum they can get away with and most positions pay a little over half the national average. The best employees don't stay, those who do don't get longevity raises. I also saw a coworker denied a transfer to a much more suitable position due to the HR department's mistakes. Since the HR department adjudicates any grievances regarding such mistakes, the employee did not dare complain.

Advice to Management

Administration has a good thing going, they won't change anything. As for actual front-line management, I can't offer any advice, only my genuine hope for extraordinary luck. We need a good hospital in NW Michigan besides Petoskey's and I know how hard it can be to staff when you are not given competitive wages to work with.

"Logistics, not an important job at all judging by the compensation"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Traverse City, MI
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Traverse City, MI

I worked at Munson Healthcare full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great co-workers, good smelling food in cafeteria though my wage was never high enough to eat lunch.

Cons

Wage is so pathetic that one full-time job is not enough to survive on unless you live in your car. Most positions, like mine, pay slightly more than half the national average while the cost of living is high in Traverse City. Definitely not the place to work if you need to make a living.

Advice to Management

Stop trying to enrich yourselves by paying poverty wages. No place can be a great place to work if you end up homeless because you worked there. The employees don't really like it there, they just say what admin wants to hear to keep them off their back.

"You are on a Farris wheel..."

Former Employee - PAs in Traverse City, MI
    Former Employee - PAs in Traverse City, MI

I worked at Munson Healthcare full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Some of the employee are decent as long as they are not trying to play manager...

Cons

This company goes through employees like Kleenex! First they need employees then they lay you off. Then they call you back months later and offer you a different position. They are very unorganized in so many ways the list is just too long.

Advice to Management

Good luck...

9. "Home Health Aide"

I worked at Munson Healthcare part-time

Pros

you get paid every 2 weeks

Cons

Hours are inconsistent never know when you might work week to week

10. "Monopolistic Healthcare"

Pros

Modern central campus located in Traverse City, MI. If your a doctor in Traverse City you've got it made.

Cons

Totally centered on the Traverse City, MI area. There is complete neglect of the out lying hospitals and communities for which they care. Patient's are expected to come to them from upto an hour and a half away. Have eliminated many specialties in the NW Michigan service area.

Advice to Management

Start thinking like a regional system that provides for health care in the local community. Stop centralizing all care in Traverse City.

11. "RN"

I have been working at Munson Healthcare full-time

Pros

Great teamwork! Everyone is willing to help one another. Management is caring and approachable. Magnet hospital, recognized several times.

Cons

Rate of pay. Employee turnover. I have a long drive, that is obviously not the organizations fault, but it comes into play with the rate of pay.

Advice to Management

Unit management is outstanding. I understand executive management, I used to be once upon a time in a previous career; that being said, letting staff know their worth would get them far!