Murad Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-time Part-time

2.7
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Howard Murad

Pros
  • Most departments work hard but have good work life balance (in 4 reviews)

• Great products-best in the business (in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • rude and unprofessional upper management (in 10 reviews)

• Work-life balance is always an issue with salespeople (in 5 reviews)

"Managers need more training. Should follow the culture and values Murad are based upon."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in El Segundo, CA

I have been working at Murad full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Murad is now considered a wellness company. Dr. Murad's vision is to treat the inner and outer body. Some products are given to employees. The effectiveness of the products show average to above average results (depends on the brand).

Cons

Too many Executives, Directors, and, Managers. There is a disconnect in procedures between mid-level and upper-level management.
    The company has too many office politics and favortisms amongst employees. Instead of promoting and rewarding employees that have a proven track record of good performance; those with sub-par work ethics are promoted due to the fact they are friends of the managers.

Advice to Management

The mid-level Managers need more training in managing their employees. There has recently been an issue with a fairly new Executive that constantly speaks Spanish in the presence of non-Spanish speaking employees, which is causing dissension between employees--this should stop due to the fact it's considered rude.

"Account executive"

I have been working at Murad full-time

Pros

Competitive pay
    Great products-best in the business
    Inclusive health philosophy
    Great direct supervisor

Cons

Management says one thing and does another. They talk about the importance of connected beauty and inclusive health but do not create that environment for employees. Communication amongst peers is discouraged because it will breed negativity. Or maybe people will just compare stories. Top leadership is inappropriate and discriminatory.

Advice to Management

Involve the field when making decisions: we know what we need. Practice what you preach. Hr hold everyone accountable otherwise it looks like you are condoning discrimination.

"account manager"

I have been working at Murad full-time

Pros

Competitive salary
    Amazing products
    Dr Murad and inclusive heath philoshophy

Cons

Senior Management
    Poor Work Life Balance

"Great company with a very exciting future"

Current Employee - Field Representative in El Segundo, CA
    Current Employee - Field Representative in El Segundo, CA

I have been working at Murad full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Murad is in transition to a bigger and brighter future. I've been here a year and a half and there have been lots of changes. However, they were needed changes. Many of the people that have left or were asked to leave liked the status quo. Definitely an environment where complacency ruled. Unilever has shaken things up. Murad is attracting the best of the best. Their vision for Murad's future is exciting.

Cons

I would say the worse part of the transition is the turnover even though it's necessary. Many of the negative comments on here are from employees that were terminated.

Advice to Management

Stay strong and stay the course.

"Great at first, but everything changed."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in El Segundo, CA

I have been working at Murad (More than 5 years)

Pros

Dr. Murad is an incredible person with the most generous heart. He has created a work environment that encourages healthy eating, exercise, and time for yourself. On top of that, the products are amazing and makes you feel proud to sell products that do what they say. Additionally, the people that work here are truly wonderful and kind and my team alone is one of the reasons I've stayed with the company for so long.

Cons

Murad was purchased by Unilever about 2 years ago and since then, everything has changed. We went from a successful family run business that was focused on creating great products and growing the business to being valued only as dollar signs and focusing solely on the bottom line, no matter what you need to compromise - people, product efficacy, business relationship, just to name a few. Additionally, Murad has been struggling to figure out their brand identity with new management teams taking over every couple years, causing so much wasted time, effort, and money. Decisions are made and changed on an hourly basis and can be very frustrating for those of us doing the work.

"Account Executive"

Current Employee - Business Account Executive in El Segundo, CA
    Current Employee - Business Account Executive in El Segundo, CA

I have been working at Murad full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great products
    Dr. Murad hallmarks
    use of new skin care industry information

Cons

rude and unprofessional upper management
    no work life balance
    burn out likely with how things are run

Advice to Management

Stop micro management and allow for work life balance and Inclusive Health of employees not just talk about it.

"No Communication"

Current Employee - Sales
    Current Employee - Sales

I have been working at Murad full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great products and brand! Discount on retail products
    Dr. Murad inclusive health.
    Health benefits are good.
    Not much to say...anymore!

Cons

Managers do not communicate much with the team of any changes. It's seems they like it this way to have control over the team. Guessing what our future position will be and how the job description changes per region/ manager EVERY day... No consistency

Advice to Management

Stop micromanaging!!

"Two years of total destruction by upper & middle management"

I have been working at Murad full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Murad products are revolutionary and produce results like no other, the concept the company was built on is ingenious... unfortunately the leaders of the ship have destroyed all potential and have created an environment that encourages dishonesty, unethical behavior, and destruction of peoples character for their own protection- What kind of company has to direct people to write a good review? The only positive reviews are from upper management to try to drown out the enormous amount of truthful negative reviews

Cons

It is clear that the very FEW positive commentary is from the upper management at this company, if the enormous amount of negative reviews do not show the truth of the current state of this business nothing will. Once upper management/leadership is changed there would be hope for Murad being on top again, until then the upper and mid management will destroy any employees that do not fit into the unethical, deceitful & lieing environment that has been created. It is extremely heart breaking to see such an amazing company destructed by people whom have zero respect for employees, honesty, and ethics.
    EMPLOYEE BEWARE: Upper and middle management will say anything to get what they want even if they know it is not true. If they have fear or concern that you may possess experience or knowledge that is stronger than theirs they will rid of you instead of utilizing your strengths to create a stronger team.
    Upper management encourage mid management to make up and lie about anything in order to get what they want and to protect themselves- they have zero care about the overall business as they have rid of every strong employee that had made this company what it was. Many new employees were lured into employment only find that what they were told the job was is in no way the equivalent to what they were actually doing.

Advice to Management

My advice is directly to Unilever; remove all upper and mid management, hold HR accountable for turning a blind eye to the unethical practices of the upper/middle management, at this point this is the only thing that is going to save the future of this company. Hire leadership that create a healthy environment of honesty, appreciation for dedication/achievement, reward and encourage staff that performs & supports the company

"Beyond repair"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in El Segundo, CA

I worked at Murad full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

There used to be a lot of beautiful things about Murad. Dr. Murad himself is someone that no person would ever have a bad word to say about. He began the company himself and remains accessible to all of his employees.
    There were times that I absolutely loved this job. It was when I was doing what I was originally hired to do...work hard, but make friends, educate them, help people "Look Live and Feel Better" and have fun!!

Cons

So many cons. First I have to be truthful and say that I was ASKED to write a positive review for this company when the ratings began to nose dive. Because that is not in line with my moral compass, I did not come to Glassdoor to write a fake review. Here is my honest one:

When Murad was acquired by Unilever, the company fell into mismanagement. Murad has become everything that it was against. The culture is stressful, catty, unprofessional and dishonest. The workload is breakneck, life consuming and isolating. Management can not be trusted. VP is not genuine and she proved to be reactive and dishonest. I can say the same for my manager and I would also add the word "coward". As is typical, when businesses panic they usually can't see the effect with their own eyes. How do you see something crumbling when you are at the top? Management believes that their relationship abilities will create trust between themselves and their employees. They can't fathom that they are also being lied to by fed up, overworked, unhappy employees who are eager to get out of the company and into a better one. The culture at Murad has collapsed. Morale is lost, resentment reigns....and still NOBODY knows this brand!!!!! The new management hasn't been successful at keeping Murad competitive to the public and they have lost and fired 98% of their loyal employees. This company won't make it.

Advice to Management

It is clear that you are not taking advice. Numbers are lying to you. You can't build a new culture when you are dishonest and focused on personal gain. Murad was beautiful because it was a culture based on a genuine desire to help improve the lives of people. You can't fake that. Management (VP, VP Sales, RSM-SE) Everything has been for your own personal resume and you have been very successful at taking this company piece by piece.

"Horrible place to work."

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in El Segundo, CA

Pros

Great discount on products. They have an inclusive health philosophy is great, however the company culture does not actually allow their employees practice it.

Cons

Director level and above are horrible. They will tell you anything to get what they need out of you with no actual plan on following through or what is best for you as the employee.

Advice to Management

My advice would be to treat your employees with honesty and respect. It's not always about making a quick number.