Murad Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

2.5
Michelle Shigemasa

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Great products-best in the business (in 8 reviews)

• The company also fosters a good work-life balance (in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • Upper management always changing and so do the rules, salaries etc (in 14 reviews)

• Large territory - work/life balance was almost non existent (in 7 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Great Future"

Former Employee - Account Executive in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Account Executive in New York, NY

I worked at Murad full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Murad is a company that has gone through a lot of changes of the last two years due to the buy out by Unilever. Unilever is developing the much needed rebranding of Murad. From a field point of view the changes are positive. When I started I had 37 stores to cover, now I have only 21. We are provided lots of tools and the expectation is the same as any other company, make your goals. Lots of support from my Regional and VP and my peers.

Cons

I think the negative is that there is a level of uncertainty about what the future is with a big company like Unilever owing a former family run company.

Advice to Management

Stay steady and keep everyone informed.

"Not worth it."

I worked at Murad full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Meeting and working with Dr. Murad was great! He was the best part of the job.

Cons

The base salary was okay but the bonus structure kept changing so you worked really hard to make some outrageous goal only to find out management changed the rules at the last minute so they didn’t have to pay you. The management team made going to work a miserable experience- absolutely no work/life balance and too many egos to deal with. They lost a lot of good people because of ridiculous demands.

Advice to Management

Listen to your employees. They have great ideas and a wealth of experience. They are not mindless idiots who can’t think for themselves.

Nov 21, 2017 – VP of HR

We thank you very much for your time to write this review. We do take these issues very seriously and we want to improve the situation. Since Glassdoor reviews are anonymous please feel free to... More

"No one knows what they are doing"

I have been working at Murad full-time

Pros

Product discount is nice I guess

Cons

Low pay, HR has no idea whats going on, people have meaningless titles, this company is just a disaster really.

Nov 21, 2017 – VP of HR

We thank you very much for your time to write this review. We do appreciate all feedback and we want to improve the situation. Since Glassdoor reviews are anonymous please feel free to reach out... More

"Your Job Changes As Seasons Change"

Former Employee - Acct Executive in El Segundo, CA
    Former Employee - Acct Executive in El Segundo, CA

I worked at Murad full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Dr. Murad and the products are really the best!

Cons

Your job will change every 6 months, and never trust that you have your job because they unmercifully let employees go without any notice. Mainly because they are constantly changing territories and need to downsize. And the higher ups, especially in sales, hide their massive egos with fake smiles and are constantly using their salespeople as scapegoats. They really have done a huge disservice to the company and it's a shame they have let so many good people go. But more importantly, Dr. Murad and all he has done in the industry has been tarnished because they have failed to be competent leaders.

Advice to Management

***No advice, for it's like an unspoken word in the company, every single person knows that until executive management goes, the culture will stay the same.

"Inclusive Health Spa"

Former Employee - Inclusive Health Practitioner in El Segundo, CA
    Former Employee - Inclusive Health Practitioner in El Segundo, CA

I worked at Murad full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great product line. Being close to the corporate offices, you have the feel of being part of something bigger.

Cons

Management came from an aggressive approach.

Advice to Management

Be kinder.

"Dysfunctional / Awful Morale / Stale brand"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in El Segundo, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in El Segundo, CA

I have been working at Murad full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Fair to above market compensation. Work life balance.

Cons

New management brought in by Unilever truly does not understand the prestige market or how to win in the marketplace. The company has declined dramatically since Unilever has taken a stronger hold. The focus is a short term win over a long term brand building strategy. Company is currently lacking strong leadership in marketing and sales. Morale is awful and all the good talent is leaving at a rapid pace. Previous leader promoted dysfunctional environment of competitiveness and allowed silos to exist. Team work has not been encouraged or rewarded.

Advice to Management

A new CEO just started which is very promising. Hopefully, she will quickly put initiatives in place for a major overhaul. In addition, she needs to vet HR team and bring in a more professional team.

Oct 9, 2017 – VP of HR

We thank you for your time to write this review. We take these issues very seriously and we want to improve the situation. Since Glassdoor reviews are anonymous please feel free to reach out in... More

"Awful and stressful work environment"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in El Segundo, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in El Segundo, CA

I worked at Murad full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Discounts on the product and lots of learning opportunities with the work shops they bring in for mandatory teachings.

Cons

Stressful environment where people are pitted against one another. This comes directly from the owners and executive team. Richard Murad is a bully with no filter or tact for management. Dr. Murad seems sweet and smiley but encourages the behavior that comes from Richard. I think there is potential for the company to be better. However, the owners have to want it. It's a shame and a waste to see so many talented people stressed and in fear of losing their jobs.

Advice to Management

Create a better work culture and appreciate the people that working for you.

"No work life balance"

Current Employee - Account Executive
    Current Employee - Account Executive

I have been working at Murad full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

They give great tools to learn

Cons

You never have an actual day off. There expected you to work more than what they pay you .

Advice to Management

You dnt pay us 7 days a week let us have days off!!!

Oct 9, 2017 – VP of HR

We thank you for your time to write this review. We take these issues very seriously and we want to improve the situation. Since Glassdoor reviews are anonymous please feel free to reach via phone... More

"Was good"

Former Employee - Coordinator in El Segundo, CA
    Former Employee - Coordinator in El Segundo, CA

I worked at Murad full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The people were amazing! The spa perks were great. Dr murad is a wonder person. I loved the hikes and events. Office space was fun. The products are great.

Cons

Promotions were all politics. Upper management was difficult. They never knew what they were doing . Tell you one thing and changed their mind

Advice to Management

Need to do an overhaul. This place use to be great!

"Part of a Team"

I worked at Murad full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great training environment. Our team felt really strong from the beginning, but after some shifts and realignments, our team did the best we could at the time to come together and push forward. I am not certain the teams left at Murad have the same morale.

Cons

Large territory - work/life balance was almost non existent.

Advice to Management

Be more involved with Regional decisions and put solid plans in place to achieve results. This will result in teams feeling more supported and uplifted. That there are in fact answers to questions.