Murad Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

2.3
Michelle Shigemasa

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Great products-best in the business (in 7 reviews)

• The company also fosters a good work-life balance (in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • Large territory - work/life balance was almost non existent (in 9 reviews)

• Upper management always changing and so do the rules, salaries etc (in 16 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Happy Camper"

I have been working at Murad full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Although it is not a Family run business any longer, it still feels like it. What other company out there offers an Inclusive Health Day? You get day off to enjoy life. Do what you want with whomever you want. No questions asked. It doesn't come off your sick or vacation time. It is for your well being. Who else offers to pay you to go to the beach or a museum for the day? The CEO sent out an email when the last big rainstorm was about to hit for everyone to leave a half day early to get home before the storm. Perks are great and there are many of them working at Murad. But the people make it happen. Friendly, fun, caring people. And really. Who doesn't like Dr. Murad? The man is awesome. And he makes great products that really work.
    Don't believe all the negative posts you read abut Murad. I wouldn't be here over 10 years if I didn't love this place.

Cons

A lot of negative comments have been posted about Murad. You tell me where there is a place to work that is perfect. Perfect leaders. Perfect work schedule. Perfect direction. The fact is every employer has something people will complain about. You can't please everyone. Murad is no different. There are people saying bad things about Murad. Personally, I don't think they are happy people inside. Is Murad the best place to work in Southern California? No. Is Murad a great place to work in So Cal? Yes. We have our faults like any other company. But Upper Management is trying to fix those faults. They could be turning their heads in the opposite direction to ignore these complaints I keep reading. But they are more interested in fixing those faults than the people are writing about them. They just want to complain. Murad will listen and will improve the situation.

Advice to Management

Keep trying to improve the way you have been. There must be a few bad apples in the bunch if people are writing what they are writing. Show them the door. It's a new time for Murad. Be transparent. Share information within departments. Get out of the silos and include everyone in all departments. I've already seen improvements in these areas. Keep the momentum going.

"Great Future"

Former Employee - Account Executive in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Account Executive in New York, NY

I worked at Murad full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Murad is a company that has gone through a lot of changes of the last two years due to the buy out by Unilever. Unilever is developing the much needed rebranding of Murad. From a field point of view the changes are positive. When I started I had 37 stores to cover, now I have only 21. We are provided lots of tools and the expectation is the same as any other company, make your goals. Lots of support from my Regional and VP and my peers.

Cons

I think the negative is that there is a level of uncertainty about what the future is with a big company like Unilever owing a former family run company.

Advice to Management

Stay steady and keep everyone informed.

3. "Good CEO"

I worked at Murad full-time

Pros

Products, people, pay was good

Cons

Poor management, lack of structure

"DO NOT WORK HERE"

I worked at Murad full-time

Pros

I met some lovely people....who were smart enough to leave early on in my employment

Cons

It has taken some time to write this review but this is the part that will be most important....The number of cons is insurmountable. The executives are emotionally/psychologically abusive, often directing blame, making snide remarks, and establishing unrealistic expectations - which they demand you must meet. As a result, expect to work LONG HOURS; often working over the weekend. Management is poorly trained and the turnover is unlike anything i've experienced before. I takes a extremely long time for the company to fill positions (although a certain clique within the company finds ways to fill positions with their unqualified friends). It is a deeply unhappy environment. I have seen employees leave because they do not feel comfortable with unlawful behavior of executives. I have seen them leave because they do the work their bosses should be doing on top of executing their own work. I don't expect this business to last in the long run. It is sad since the Founder is such a nice person.

Advice to Management

Stop placing blame and start training your employees. Incentivize and promote within ALL DEPARTMENTS. Pay people better for their jobs, you are very low for the industry. Hire an external vendor to evaluate your business and all departments so that you're not just glazing over the REAL issues. Create a strong HR department that actually handles peoples concerns and holds people accountable. Provide continuing education budgets so that employees can continue to expand their skill sets. Encourage people to have a work/life balance and support that work/life balance via the business and setting standards within the company.

"Where good intentions go to die"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in El Segundo, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in El Segundo, CA

I have been working at Murad full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Access to great products and discounts, some of which include other Unilever prestige brands. Dr Murad is wonderful. Promising new CEO.

Cons

There are a lot of intelligent people that walk through Murad’s doors and right back out. This company doesn’t know how to keep top talent, which is crazy since the writing is on the wall listing out the reasons why. Unfortunately, upper management is most likely illiterate (Exhibit A: all the Glassdoor reviews they either are unable to read or choose not to act on, both cases being pretty awful). Sarcasm aside, using your mind is seen as a liability at this company and will give you an endless supply of headaches when you realize all logic is out the window here.

Nobody wants to take accountability for anything, especially upper management. They don’t work to establish processes, empower their staff, or even learn what the work entails for themselves. Most people in this organization don’t even know what their colleagues within their own departments do... mostly because turnover is so rapid and vacancies are absorbed instead of being filled by experienced people. It’s impossible to keep up. The result is a company of untrained people frustratingly trying to do their jobs without proper training or leaders they can rely on. Adding insult to injury, it seems like the most incompetent people are placed in the highest levels and are promoted the fastest, while the lower-level people who doing the work can’t catch a break because they’re needed right where they are at. (Better hope you negotiated your pay well before signing your offer letter! Bc that’s what you’ll be stuck with come hell or high water.)

Most of us came to Murad to be a part of something incredible, but nearly everyone I’ve talked to has mentioned trying to get out. Nobody even tries to hide it anymore. It’s like a bad relationship: you can only take so much. Please cut the crap to make a real change (not just a BS one that you can present to Unilever) and give your employees the positive workplace they deserve.

Advice to Management

It’s completely evident that Murad’s strategy is to keep applying bandaids to knife wounds. Sometimes you need to get a little uncomfortable if it means making a positive change, and it will take a lot more than a management retreat to make an impact with a company that is this broken. Try initiating 360 reviews or anonymous employee surveys to get an honest picture of what is happening, then DO SOMETHING about it. Otherwise, there won’t be a company left to defend.

Dec 21, 2017 – VP of HR

We thank you very much for your time to write this review. We do appreciate all feedback and we want to improve the situation. Since Glassdoor reviews are anonymous please feel free to reach out in... More

"Micromanaging, negative atmosphere with upper management"

Former Employee - Sales Executive in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Sales Executive in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at Murad full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Murad products are amazing and Dr. Murad is wonderful! Vacation is required by state so at least you’ll get time off even if they make you feel guilty by taking it.

Cons

Micromanaging, goals for LY impossible (at least 10k increase per door for 1 month), negative atmosphere, upper management will text/call at 5am (granted they are on east coast time but know your boundaries), HR can’t do anything even if it’s been reported, extremely harsh on conference calls so it’s like being berated amongst your colleagues, huge turnover rate which should be an indication of how upper management runs their business

Advice to Management

Stop micromanaging. If you want your field team to create strong relationships with their doors then you should do the same with your team! Learn to email as a professional because your emails will be shared with HR.. there’s no need to create a negative atmosphere from the beginning.

"Not worth it."

I worked at Murad full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Meeting and working with Dr. Murad was great! He was the best part of the job.

Cons

The base salary was okay but the bonus structure kept changing so you worked really hard to make some outrageous goal only to find out management changed the rules at the last minute so they didn’t have to pay you. The management team made going to work a miserable experience- absolutely no work/life balance and too many egos to deal with. They lost a lot of good people because of ridiculous demands.

Advice to Management

Listen to your employees. They have great ideas and a wealth of experience. They are not mindless idiots who can’t think for themselves.

Nov 21, 2017 – VP of HR

We thank you very much for your time to write this review. We do take these issues very seriously and we want to improve the situation. Since Glassdoor reviews are anonymous please feel free to... More

"RUN FOR THE HILLS!!!"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in El Segundo, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in El Segundo, CA

I worked at Murad full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Discounted product.
    Laid back environment - people literally show up at 10:30am, take a 2 hour lunch break and leave at 5pm.

Cons

Everything.

I'd like to disclose I am not a 'disgruntled employee' who was fired, I left on my own accord and want to post this just so nobody else makes the mistake I made of accepting a job here (and sticking with it for 2 years). All bad reviews are TRUE and all good ones were either falsely created by HR or are people in the field and not in the corporate office.

- No one is ever held accountable for their mistakes or anything for that matter
    - Incompetent people are valued while the good ones are forced to pick up the slack because 'you can handle it' / When people don't do their work, it just gets dropped onto the lap of someone who is "capable"
    - Pay is WAY under market value and often you don't get paid for the work you actually do
    - Special treatment for certain employees (I.E. an employee was told she couldn't work from home when she was undergoing tests for a medical emergency, while another employee is allowed to work from home every Friday because she lives in HB)
    - Everyone is threatened that people are going to take their job so there's no teamwork and all departments sit in silos
    - No processes in place or brand guidelines, which makes it extremely hard to do your job well
    - Bare minimum work ethic from almost all employees and the ones who don't have this mentality are often punished for making other people look bad
    - No clarification on job duties. Often they will hire you and then completely change your job once you actually start working there.
    - Managers pawning off their work and then taking the credit when the Unilever bosses show up
    - Constant hand holding for "junior" people, instead of getting them the necessary training
    - No bonus, no incentive for anyone below manager title. No yearly promotion, they don't even keep up with inflation.
    - Organizational chart doesn't make sense (they even tend to have mistakes as they are presented to the entire company during the 800th restructure meeting of the year)
    - Directors don't let their subordinates go to conferences to grow them in their skill sets, instead they take the opportunity when it arises and don't present any knowledge they obtained to the team
    - Headcount is too large - way too many people at a director level with way too many subordinates, job can be done with half the amount of people
    - Too many meetings that aren't effective / no widely communicated agenda and no recaps sent to greater team post meeting
    - Untrained leadership (or leadership with out of date knowledge) speaking about things they don't know to the detriment of projects
    - Lack of overall marketing direction and guidelines - should be a top priority for leadership so time isn't wasted following unwritten and uncommunicated rules
    - Heavy dependence on vendors without knowledge on what they actually do
    - Responsibilities aren't allocated to the correct people - subordinates are expected to create strategies when that should be a director level
    - Unclear and contradictory direction from managers or no direction whatsoever
    - Failure to define goals and stick to plans lead to misuse of time and internal resources
    - Initiatives immediately just get dropped (ex. Eyes Up)
    - Managers don't recognize contributions and reward good work or challenge employees intellectually, while also failing to develop employees skills

Advice to Management

Nothing. I went to management time and time again (including HR) and nothing ever changed. You clearly do not want to improve this company, but rather watch it burn to the ground. If you can't value employees that deserve to be valued, you don't deserve to have them.

Dec 21, 2017 – VP of HR

"No one knows what they are doing"

I have been working at Murad full-time

Pros

Product discount is nice I guess

Cons

Low pay, HR has no idea whats going on, people have meaningless titles, this company is just a disaster really.

Nov 21, 2017 – VP of HR

"Your Job Changes As Seasons Change"

Former Employee - Acct Executive in El Segundo, CA
    Former Employee - Acct Executive in El Segundo, CA

I worked at Murad full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Dr. Murad and the products are really the best!

Cons

Your job will change every 6 months, and never trust that you have your job because they unmercifully let employees go without any notice. Mainly because they are constantly changing territories and need to downsize. And the higher ups, especially in sales, hide their massive egos with fake smiles and are constantly using their salespeople as scapegoats. They really have done a huge disservice to the company and it's a shame they have let so many good people go. But more importantly, Dr. Murad and all he has done in the industry has been tarnished because they have failed to be competent leaders.

Advice to Management

***No advice, for it's like an unspoken word in the company, every single person knows that until executive management goes, the culture will stay the same.