Murphy Oil Reviews | Glassdoor

2.7
Murphy Oil President & CEO Roger W. Jenkins
Roger W. Jenkins

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • The company really cares about its employees and its community and has good benefits programs (in 8 reviews)

• There are some great people to work with (in 8 reviews)

Cons
  • Upper management poor people skills (in 12 reviews)

• Lack of feedback and poor work life balance (in 6 reviews)

1. "Chief Operating Officer"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in El Dorado, AR
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in El Dorado, AR

I have been working at Murphy Oil full-time (More than a year)

Pros

farewell is excellent - good facility - easy to excess by LRT - Good atmosphere -

Cons

team building - speed of handling issues takes too long - the guys at site (operations) are not in line with the guys in the office.

Advice to Management

get all faces together - stick to the planning - take care of the staff working on your project or company.

2. "casier"

I worked at Murphy Oil full-time

Pros

none at all at this company

Cons

really bad management will fire you gor being robbed

3. "Cashier"

I worked at Murphy Oil part-time

Pros

Don't have a manager over your shoulder watching

Cons

Hate that I worked by myself over night

Advice to Management

More training for employees that had never worked a cash register

4. "Project Manager"

Pros

Good work environment, great new offices

Cons

Lack of control procedures for Projects

5. "Planner / Scheduler"

Pros

Professional Organization with good systems.

Cons

Once project is completed the work is over.

6. "Engineer"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX

I worked at Murphy Oil full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Great place to work. Responsibility was pushed down and you were able to see the impact of your decisions on the company's bottom line. The people, in general, were great to work with. A lot was expected of their employees, but there was verbal and financial rewards with each success. I never saw anyone fired or demoted for making a mistake, unless it was repetitive.

Cons

None that are out of the ordinary for any company of this size in the oil and gas industry.

"Falling into disarray"

Former Employee - Associate Engineer in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Associate Engineer in Houston, TX

Pros

You get to wear many hats at Murphy, you are in total control of your asset and able to make big changes if you see somewhere for improvement. Senior advisors are very willing to help and give advice and assistance to newer engineers.

Cons

Management has a very misguided view of the world. They do not believe in a work life balance, they do not understand the amount of work they are asking their understaffed teams to accomplish, and they do not care to learn how to improve the system. Priorities changes multiple times a day, resulting in long hours for everyone without any reasoning behind it.

Advice to Management

Be more transparent with your why. Try to understand what it is you are asking you employees to do as opposed to just forcing it to happen today. Shortcuts are never the answer, and this company lives off putting a bandaid on a problem and not really finding the root cause.

8. "One of the worst jobs I ever had"

Former Employee - Cashier in Charlotte, NC
    Former Employee - Cashier in Charlotte, NC

Pros

If you love driving to work in the snow when conditions are unsafe then this is the job for you.

Cons

Managers where I worked where uneducated morons. All of the ones I worked for originally have sense been fired so that says a lot.
    Made to come into work even when there is snow on the ground. Wrecked my car.
     If you are hired on as a cashier there is no way they will give you full time hours because they dont want to give you insurance benefits.
    Expected to come in on days off, told to come in to work when I had the flu. Not allowed to sit down on the graveyard shift, no matter how bad your feet hurt lol

"Engineer"

Former Employee - Engineering in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Engineering in Houston, TX

I worked at Murphy Oil full-time

Pros

decent salary and bonus structure

Cons

This is the type of company where they will harass you to donate money to United Way.... I mean, the GM of the business unit will come to your office to to tell you to donate !!, if this is the type of company you want to work for, go ahead, otherwise, stay awaaaaay

Advice to Management

Quit

"Worst Oil & Gas Company to work for."

Former Employee - Systems Analyst in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Systems Analyst in Houston, TX

I worked at Murphy Oil (More than a year)

Pros

No Pros that I can think of.

Cons

I have about 19 years of experience in the Oil & Gas Industry. I happened to work for this company in the Houston corporate office as a System Analyst for about one year. So far this was my worst experience in my professional career.

Although it is a public company, it is still managed as a family owned business. Managers do their best to squeeze the blood and sweat out of employees. I had about 4 weeks of vacation in my employment contract. I was only allowed to take one week in the year 2015 with no compensation for my unpaid vacation. Work hours extend to nights regularly and most of the weekends. Managers use you as a slave resource and have no respect of your private time. This not limited to few managers, but a company wide culture.

There is zero scope of learning an advancing in your career, as you are expected to do your job without asking any questions. Senior managers are not knowledgeable and play lots of politics at an expense of employees personal time.They will never give credit for your good work but focus on projecting everything good as their own idea but everything bad as the fault of lower employees.

Murphy is all about getting more out employees for less. Run and don't walk if you are thinking of applying a position for this company. I resigned finally as I was able to find a new job as I was waiting to get out of this place.

Advice to Management

Change the culture and have some values.