Murphy Oil Reviews | Glassdoor

2.7
Murphy Oil President & CEO Roger W. Jenkins
Roger W. Jenkins

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • The company really cares about its employees and its community and has good benefits programs (in 8 reviews)

• There are some great people to work with (in 8 reviews)

Cons
  • Upper management poor people skills (in 12 reviews)

• Lack of feedback and poor work life balance (in 6 reviews)

"Work at your own risk"

Former Employee - Assistant Manager in McAllen, TX
    Former Employee - Assistant Manager in McAllen, TX

Pros

The hourly pay is a little better then othe places.

Cons

Management offers no training even thought they promise to train you. Shifts are difficult because only one cashier on duty to do 10 things at once and hard to do when the line of upset customers are waiting to be attended to and only one person on duty. Most of the time the pumps do not work and the Murphy cards are always a hassle half the time they do not work alot of customer complaints. Registers are faulty they cut off during transactions and computers are usually down most of the time. When errors occur because of faulty equipment the cashier is blamed and then fired without consideration.

Advice to Management

They need to do the training for employees training that is promised when you are hired instead of being more interested in their bonuses. More hours for employees so that at least we can make a decent paycheck , they tend to cut hours on their whim. Less hours for employees more bonus money for management.

"The worst place I have ever worked"

Current Employee - Cashier in Fayetteville, NC
    Current Employee - Cashier in Fayetteville, NC

Pros

Honestly I appreciate the fact that I have a job,but thats all.No other pros here.Not a good company at all.

Cons

This has got to be the worst place I have ever worked in my 30+ years of employment. They do not care about the employees at all.You have one cashier working and 100 things for that cashier to do in addition to waiting on customers.Then there are glitches in the system or something. Money just disappears and even though everything is on video the cashier is made to pay cash shortages over $25.00 back or be terminated.Every cashier in my store has been made to pay money back or lose their job. I do not understand that concept at all. The promotional opportunities is a big joke as well.Was told I was being promoted and then they gave it to someone else yet still continue to tell me I am being promoted.Its no wonder this company has such a high turnover.Theres too much dishonesty here.I am on my way out the door as quick as I can.Honestly,I cant afford to work there if I have to keep paying back money all the time....especially money I haven't taken.Something is just fishy about that to me.

Advice to Management

You need to revise your policies and run thorough checks on your systems in every store.Cashiers should not be written up and terminated due to circumstances beyond their control.You need to stop acting like customers are so honest .Not all,but several are very dishonest and with the economy as bad as it is,well,its just not always the cashiers fault and you should stop blaming and punishing them.If there is not glitches in your system,then there is some funny business going on somewhere.

3. "I'm an honest person with a dishonest Company."

Current Employee - District Manager in Jacksonville, FL
    Current Employee - District Manager in Jacksonville, FL

Pros

Up front, all is painted with rose colored glasses. Over time, a very short time, one asks where all the color went. Salary and insurance are good, however, comes with a tremendous personal price.

Cons

There is no balance between business and personal time.
    Division Manager is abusive. He was removed once for this behavior, however, it seems that those in Home Office want or totally ignore what he is doing.
    The XO of 3 years now and his inner circle of followers have and continue to destroy moral. It is not completely gone, however, is certainly circulating the drain.
    No free thought allowed. It's do as I say or hit the road. I feel useless!!!
    The people in Home Office do not realize they are their own worst enemy.
    Most all long term, 8+ year people, who really built this company, have been either terminated for the smallest of reasons or if nothing was there, their position was eliminated and the offer they were made to continue was knowingly set up to be declined or to force their resignation. There are very, very few seasoned people left. I guess JG thinks they are a threat??
    This Company will use one up, then toss one aside like garbage. I am looking as I am a 9 year person and the heat has been turned in my direction.

Advice to Management

Hopefully the NEW president will see the damage that has been done, trust no-one in Home Office for advice as they are the problem and if possible make right, very wrong decisions. He needs to clean up the kitchen, so to speak.

4. "What was I thinking"

Former Employee - Store Manager in Cedar Rapids, IA
    Former Employee - Store Manager in Cedar Rapids, IA

Pros

You get paid and you get uniforms

Cons

You cover for illness cant give time to other workers
    No hours for employees
    It's like Aldi's
    Endless inventory counts

Advice to Management

If you have to count every cigarette every night, that means the company can't or won't trust it's Management

5. "Every unhealthy item imaginable"

Former Employee - Cashier in Orlando, FL
    Former Employee - Cashier in Orlando, FL

Pros

Decent wage, decent employees that is all.

Cons

Gas, Cigs, Snuff, Candy, Trash

Advice to Management

Try creating a better community.

6. "Horrible"

Current Employee - District Manager in El Dorado, AR
    Current Employee - District Manager in El Dorado, AR

Pros

They only have their benefits going for them.

Cons

Limited advancement, no work life balance, poor leadership

Advice to Management

People are your #1 resource.

7. "horrible company to work for"

Former Employee - Store Manager in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Store Manager in Houston, TX

Pros

great pay...great pay and that's it nothing is really a pro about this company..except for the managers meeting in florida in which they can save that money and put it in our pay checks.

Cons

dm's are horrible and also area managers. they have their favorites and that's who they role with. training is horrible esp for managers. the training is horrible due to the workload, therefore, the cmt wants a break so they can get rest. they overload you with work that cannot get done all in one day. they are company with high turnover of employees and they need to take an indepth look at that. i think the dm's need to work in the stores instead of from home. they need to have a home store where their office is based out of so they can see what is exactly going on in these stores. i think the executives need to the same so they can see what changes need to be made to this company. they worked us to death with all maineinance issues, however cut our commissions in half. they don't promote very well. dm's are messy like little girls. they tell your business to everyone and anybody when it should be confidential. the pay rate for cashiers for the work they do is horrible. murphy needs a complete turn around with staff it doesn't seem like it's getting any better and i was with the company for 3 yrs. very stressful and can cause a lot of health problems. no lunch breaks due to the way the company is set up which is not good for a stressful environment and especially if you have to work 2 shifts a day if you're shorthanded. and yes, upper management has no rush of help if you're shorthanded they don't try to help you out they just leave you out there to work. if you fire an employee upper management goes behind your back and places the employee at another store which makes it hard for you to manage your store because of what upper management did for the other employee. makes it hard for you to discipline your store. also, upper management cares more about the cashier than they do the manager. they will give the cashier more chances but will come in and straight fire a manager, who isn't stealing or anything but will let a cashier rob you and send him or her to work for an other manager. something is truely wrong with this picture.

Advice to Management

management needs to grow up they are very immature and messy. in other words murphy needs professionalism not unprofessionalism. i have never seen such until i got with this company. they need to become more understanding of your situation and if they can't then these people of upper management need to come run the stores for about a month or so to see how we feel. this company could be good but it needs a lot of work...and i mean a lot of work....

8. "I would not work there again for any reason."

Former Employee - Store Manager in Dalton, GA
    Former Employee - Store Manager in Dalton, GA

I worked at Murphy Oil full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

THERE WERE ABSOLUTELY NO PROS.

Cons

They treat their people horrible. They don't care about anything but their bottom line.

"Very Frustrating Place To Work"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in El Dorado, AR

I have been working at Murphy Oil full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The salary is good, benefits "look good" on paper

Cons

No common sense, idiotic rules, no opportunities for advancement

Advice to Management

Of all the places I have worked, Murphy Oil is the most frustrating. I detect no common sense in the managers of this company. I have tried to suggest some things that will be of great help to everyone, but it was nothing more than an exercise in futility. I was basically told that there will be absolutely no change in the way things are done regardless of how beneficial it would be. It is run like a communist country. Employees should just keep their heads down and keeps their mouths shut. Just fill a seat for "X" amount of hours per day and that's it. There is no sense of contributing to the success of the company. Employees are just tools to be used and abused.

The salary and some of the benefits are good, because they know it is very difficult to attract good people to southern AR. But, trying to take the allotted vacation time is frustrating as well. Why do they offer so many weeks when they frown on you when you actually try to use any of them? This company proves that money should never be the sole factor in considering whether to take a job. I let that happen to me and now I am stuck here and can't escape....

"Awful. If I could give 0 stars, I would."

I have been working at Murphy Oil full-time

Pros

Oppurtunity to meet new people.

Cons

Terrible management. One company, but different departments are treated very differently. Job is very very stressful and not worth the pay! The hours are AWFUL. Not enough employees, seniority does not mean much, and there is constant unfair treatment. They tend to bring in inexperienced management to try to "implement" things, but this fails. There is a lack of communication and also they have their "picks and chooses". If you're not one of them, don't expect to be treated the same. People are quick to say, "yes I want to work for Murphy", but you will be surprised what's on the other side of those doors.

Advice to Management

Stop hiring inexperienced management. Put more time into choosing someone better fit for a job. We had a manager who knew absolutely nothing about her own department. Take the time to actually hear your employees. There is no sense in having HR meetings for change, only to have enployees rant, but you don't actually listen to a word they say. All I can say is BETTER MANAGEMENT. I can not stress that enough or your turn over will continue to get worse.