Murphy and Associates Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-time Part-time

4.3
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Erik Murphy

"Best consultant placing company on Eastside"

Current Employee - Project Coordinator in Kirkland, WA
    Current Employee - Project Coordinator in Kirkland, WA

I have been working at Murphy and Associates (Less than a year)

Pros

Incredible staff. Experienced in the placement business and always seeking ways to make our group of consultants feel like a family. LOVE working for Murphy.

Best billable to in-your-pocket hourly rate scheme I've ever seen with a placement company. I work as a vendor at Microsoft through Murphy & Associates and Murphy takes the same (LOW) percentage of my overall billed rate regardless of whether my rate goes up or down - so I can always count on what my paychecks will be and that they are being totally upfront with how much I am getting billed out at. The most money possible comes to my pocket. No surprises!

Cons

No benefits package other than getting to take advantage of the group medical rate. You pay premiums, however. They do have a 401K plan you can take advantage of but no matching or perks there either.

Although - with excellent compensation - I see this as more of an expectation than a con and don't mind arranging my own benefits.

Advice to Management

You guys are great! I appreciate the monthly check in but that you also understand that if it isn't necessary, we're good to go. You guys have struck a great balance between being involved and letting us be that makes me feel appreciated, secure, and valued.

May 5, 2016 – President

Thank you for your great review. We are very pleased that working with us have been such a great experience for you. There is always a tension between providing benefits versus compensation. As ... More

"Open company, no contract"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Jose, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Jose, CA

I worked at Murphy and Associates (More than 3 years)

Pros

Open and honest, they show all rates and what your cut will be. They have no contract, you stay because you want to.

Cons

They are a consultant based company, there are no cons. If you are looking for a decent income look here.

Jan 14, 2016 – President

It's great to hear that your 3+ years working for our company left such a positive impression. Thank you for taking the time to post this review.

"Consultant"

Current Employee - Consultant in Gig Harbor, WA
    Current Employee - Consultant in Gig Harbor, WA

I have been working at Murphy and Associates (More than a year)

Pros

Good support, great transparency with contract bill rate vs. pay rate

Cons

Every contract I have been on I have brought into the company; they do not seem to have a good pipeline of upcoming opportunities

Jan 14, 2016 – President

Thank you for taking the time to write a review and for the high marks - we greatly appreciate it! Many of our employees do bring contracts our way and we are thankful for their loyalty, as well ... More

4. "Great consulting company"

Current Employee - Data Scientist in Bellevue, WA
    Current Employee - Data Scientist in Bellevue, WA

Pros

They take very little off of the top for doing all of the HR work for you and are completely transparent about where the money goes.

Cons

I can't think of one.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work.

Aug 5, 2015 – President

Thank you for the wonderful feedback. We are happy to hear that your experience with Murphy & Associates has been so positive and greatly appreciate you taking the time to post a review.

5. "Program Manager"

Former Employee - Program Manager in Redmond, WA
    Former Employee - Program Manager in Redmond, WA

I worked at Murphy and Associates (More than 5 years)

Pros

I loved my time with M&A. Truly a family feel even though I was rarely if ever at the home office. Truly felt as though I was a part of the Murphy Family. They highly value their employees. Compensation was great. As others said the transparency was very nice. Straightforward and easy to understand. Comp model was presented to me upon my first meeting with them in 2009.

Cons

None that I can think of.

Advice to Management

Keep up the great work.

Jan 12, 2016 – President

Thank you for your taking the time to provide a review and for the positive feedback. It's very much appreciated.

6. "Consultant"

Former Employee - Business Intelligence Manager in Redmond, WA
    Former Employee - Business Intelligence Manager in Redmond, WA

I worked at Murphy and Associates (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great culture, very transparent compensation model, big share for employee

Cons

Few benefits, you are on you own if you contract expires

Advice to Management

Promote opportunities between consultants to leverage network

May 29, 2015 – President

Thank you for taking the time to post a review - it is appreciated. Perhaps we have not communicated our benefits offering well enough. We offer health insurance through a group plan, a 401(k ... More

7. "Murphy and Associates has your best interest at heart."

Current Employee - Consultant in Redmond, WA
    Current Employee - Consultant in Redmond, WA

Pros

They work hard to help you find a role that's a good fit with your skills and interest, they negotiate the best rate they can for you (and give way more back to you in your pay rate than most firms), and once you're on assignment, they regularly check-in to see how things are going and address any concerns (including helping you find your next opportunity).

Cons

I don't have any cons - I am very happy with Murphy.

Advice to Management

Keep up the great work! It's nice to hear from your Engagement manager, but it's unusual to have other recruiters/engagement managers, and even the president of the company, reach out to check in and see how things are going. It really makes you feel more like you're part of the company, which is not easy as a consultant.

Mar 11, 2015 – President

Thank you for taking the time to post this review - and for the kind words. It's great to hear that your experience with Murphy & Associates has been so positive and we appreciate your partnership. ... More

8. "Great company, very transparent, fair share"

Current Employee - BI Consultant in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - BI Consultant in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Murphy and Associates full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Murphy and Associates takes 15% of your billed rate. And I a consultant I know exactly how much is the billed rate my company is charging to the client. Not only that, but Murphy and Associates does not require that you sing for a non-compete agreement. They are very simple, straight forward, transparent and have great management.

Cons

If your gig is over, they do not do that much to help you out to find a new gig. You are on your own.

Advice to Management

It would be great to have a schema that allows Murphy And Associates employees to leverage their connections with clients to increase the opportunities for new jobs.

Mar 11, 2015 – President

Thank you for taking the time to post a review. We are glad to hear that you are happy with our overall approach. We are committed to working with our employees to help them find their next ... More

"Good support and excellent percentage of bill rate passed to consultants."

Current Employee - Senior Solution Manager in Redmond, WA
    Current Employee - Senior Solution Manager in Redmond, WA

I have been working at Murphy and Associates full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good support and excellent percentage of bill rate passed to consultants.

Cons

A better place to be for consultants and those with a lot of experience. Those with less experience may not be able to be placed very easily.

Mar 11, 2015 – President

Thank you for posting a review - we value your input.

"Great company to work for"

I worked at Murphy and Associates full-time

Pros

This is a very transparent company to work for.

Cons

The benefits may not me comprable to other similar organizations.

Feb 8, 2017 – President

Thank you for your feedback. Transparency is at the foundation of our business model, so we are really happy that you appreciate it. We hope to partner with you again in the future.