Muscular Dystrophy Association Director of Business Development Reviews | Glassdoor

Muscular Dystrophy Association Director of Business Development Reviews

Updated August 7, 2017

Director of Business Development

1.2
Kristine Welker

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Relationships with individuals and families- knowing you are making a difference (in 23 reviews)

• The families are amazing and you get a lot of opportunities to interact with them (in 15 reviews)

Cons
  • So much employee turnover due in part to poor work/life balance (in 39 reviews)

• They also expect you to get past gatekeepers (receptionist) to speak to upper management often it doesn't happen (in 32 reviews)

"Director of Business Development"

Former Employee - Director of Business Development

I worked at Muscular Dystrophy Association full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great families and great mission! Decent pay compared to other National level non-profits at my job level.

Cons

I was hired to replace 3 people - brand new position, office in my area was closing, remote worker covering 13 counties. I had little to no support for almost the first year of my job - no training, the office would "forget" about me, no plan in place for remote employees. Having worked for other National non-profits, this is by far the least organized I have ever worked for. No input from employees on the ground as to budgeting and realistic goals. Overworked with no appreciation. Unrealistic ideas of how much one person can take on and I was not able to do my job effectively since I was essentially doing 3 other jobs that were not my job description including my own administrative support since the office did not seem to feel the need to supply this.

Advice to Management

Better onboarding/training program. Reevaluate the amount of responsibility on each staff person and realign staff accordingly.

"It's all about the $$, not the mission!"

Former Employee - Director of Business Development

I worked at Muscular Dystrophy Association full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Working with families was amazing. Good thing is that I have been able to keep in touch with them.

Cons

AWFUL upper management. Executive Director was just as bad and did not support any employees in the office. ED was way to unqualified for the position and was more interested in looking good on a weekly call. Our job is to raise $$$ but not at the expense of being fake to families and donors. Also, donated items are for events, not for the ED to use whenever they want to eat or drink. Horrible place!

Advice to Management

Local and regional MDA is only interested in CYA and not establishing trust with their employees. Regional Director was rude as can be and made sexist remarks. Horrible! Horrible was I was treated during my time at MDA! You all should be ashamed of yourselves.

"Anonymous"

Current Employee - Director of Business Development in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Director of Business Development in Houston, TX

I have been working at Muscular Dystrophy Association full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Making a difference in the lives of those we serve is rewarding. There's a lot of opportunity to meet families and connect with them. Time off benefits are great.

Cons

No raises in FIVE years and the cost of insurance continues to increase each year not to mention the cost of living. It's difficult to prosper while working at MDA unless you come in as a new employee.

Advice to Management

There's no "budget" for raises for your long-term employees and yet you hire in new employees at a pay rate that's minimally 30-40% higher to do essentially the same job? (Employees talk regardless of the fact they're instructed not to). How is that an incentive to your loyal employees? What about those employees who work extremely hard and due to lack of leadership or good fundraisers the office doesn't make budget and the entire office is penalized. How is this fair? Advice to Steve Derks: take a good look at tenured employees and the last time they received an increase. Based on their years of service combined with their annual performance review grant raises based on this criteria...be FAIR! You expect it from us and therefore we expect the same.

"Great cause, terribly run"

Former Employee - Director of Business Development in Philadelphia, PA
    Former Employee - Director of Business Development in Philadelphia, PA

I worked at Muscular Dystrophy Association full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Awesome cause, excellent kids you raise money for, so deserving.

Cons

Layers and layers of bureaucracy for even the most mundane things. No thinking outside the box. No doing anything differently. We had 4 layers of superiors breathing down our necks and some of them the only job they had was to run around and oversee us, as if our tiny office of 6 with our own executive director needed so many people telling us what to do.

Advice to Management

They changed over mgmt nationally and locally when I left. Not sure how it is today. But I do know my office which was 5 counties, got merged into another office of equal size/scope and they cut the staff in half so I would have had twice the work! So glad I left! as did my boss, and 5 other people from our tiny office. Says something about you when all your people leave.

"Toxic Top Down! High Turnover!"

Former Employee - Director of Business Development

I worked at Muscular Dystrophy Association full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Wonderful children, individuals, and families you work directly with and help provide support. Many good people come to work for MDA; unfortunately, most leave within a year.

Cons

Toxic work environment top down - as a result many employees, especially long-term employees are jaded. Director of Business Development position is in reality a glorified Fundraising Coordinator. MDA approach to building business partnerships is extremely outdated and there is zero historical account information (no CRM) to show previous campaigns, relationships, contacts, or other valuable information to assist new employees pick up were previous employees left. Basically every new employee starts over never benefiting from the efforts of the previous. The high level of employee turnover is harmful and costly. My estimate is close to 75-85% turnover for salaried employees within 1 - 2 years...i.e.,Fundraising Coordinator, Director of Business Development, Executive Director. The Turnover for VRC's (Voluntary Recruit Coordinators) is worse. Example: When I started at MDA, the current Executive Director was the 9th E.D to hold that position in the last 12 years. Many Executive Directors have been promoted as a result of high turnover. However, in my experience many lack appropriate skill-set needed to understand, properly manage and train those who are in sales, relationship management, business development-type positions. Many Executive Directors and Regional/Divisional directors/VP's are completely unwilling to even consider fresh new ideas, relevant updated sales approaches, or other. Salaries are low which is understandable, however, there is large amount of financial waste/expense internally due to a high level of unnecessary travel and mileage reimbursements. This is money needless wasted that volunteers, business leaders, firefighters etc in the community work hard and passionately to raise for MDA by asking family, friends and co-workers for donations. Entirely too much of their hard work and contributions are being needlessly wasted as a result of poor management, high turnover, continuous training, hiring, firing, unnecessary travel, unnecessary mileage, etc..

Advice to Management

High turover is the result of poor management. Some of the longer-term regional, and division leadership that is the source of high turnover and related financial waste/cost could use some house cleaning. There was so much correspondence back and forth you could honestly spend half of each day just reading the emails you are needlessly copied on. Executive Directors and many Fundraising Coordinators spend entirely too much of their time (75%) hiring, training, then firing the VRC's. VRC's (Volunteer Recruit Coordinators) are hourly temps hired to makes hundreds of calls each day to business leaders around the community encouraging them to help raise money for MDA. I personally witnessed many VRC's interviewed twice, get hired, complete the 2 day training, and then on their first day on the actual job they wouldn't even return from lunch.

"A great organization and a great cause"

Current Employee - Director of Business Development in Broomall, PA
    Current Employee - Director of Business Development in Broomall, PA

I have been working at Muscular Dystrophy Association full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

1. National MDA staff, including the new CEO, are very attentive to what's going on in the local offices and what changes staff feel need to be made and then they address those issues. It really is nice to know that your voice is being heard and that they are constantly wanting to grow and better themselves as an organization.
    2. Our local leadership staff is phenomenal. I've been fortunate to be trained by people with 15 or more years experience with MDA and they could not be more helpful or supportive.
    3. Clear expectations and standards--what I was told about the job in advance is exactly what it has been (which, as we all know, is not always the case).
    4. My training was effective. You never know in starting a new job if they're going to throw you to the wolves right away or if you're going to sit through a month's worth of boring training videos. I felt that starting with MDA I had a good balance between theoretical training (videos, packets, one-on-one time with my supervisor discussing what I would be doing in the near future) and practical training (observing someone else doing aspects the job, doing things alongside my supervisor, having the opportunity to travel to nearby offices and gain experience from their team as well, etc).

Cons

You do work occasional evening and weekend hours so that won't work for everybody but the good news is those evening/weekend hours are events that are planned in advance. I haven't had any surprise late nights or anything like that.

Advice to Management

Continue to listen to your field staff and continue applying that feedback. I love seeing MDA growing as an organization and I want to continue to see us getting better and better.