Muscular Dystrophy Association Fundraising Coordinator Reviews | Glassdoor

Fundraising Coordinator

2.6
Kristine Welker

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Relationships with individuals and families- knowing you are making a difference (in 23 reviews)

• The families are amazing and you get a lot of opportunities to interact with them (in 15 reviews)

Cons
  • So much employee turnover due in part to poor work/life balance (in 39 reviews)

• They also expect you to get past gatekeepers (receptionist) to speak to upper management often it doesn't happen (in 32 reviews)

"Former Fundraising Coordinator"

Former Employee - Fundraising Coordinator in Oklahoma City, OK
    Former Employee - Fundraising Coordinator in Oklahoma City, OK

I worked at Muscular Dystrophy Association full-time (More than a year)

Pros

You have the opportunity to gain a lot of experience with different company sponsor.
    The families you meet will change your life.
    The clinic is incredible!

Cons

The company structure is horrible when it comes to promotions. They base promotions on relationships, not on skills.

Advice to Management

Remove the politics to retain star employees. I was there one year and in that time, of the 9 positions within our office, 5 people left and that turn over rate was considered normal.

"Do Not Work Here. Awful Management."

I worked at Muscular Dystrophy Association full-time (More than a year)

Pros

-Helping/raising money for kids and families living with MD.
    -Great benefits

Cons

-AWFUL management.
    -You will get ganged up on in the office if you haven't been around more than 2 years.
    -Policy's are way too strict and does not trust any of their employees.
    -Executive Directors are not all the best.
    -Very unprofessional.
    -Everything that you cant control and it goes wrong then you will get blamed and put on probation.

Advice to Management

-Change your policy's. Just because something has happened in the past does not mean it will happy again.
    -Know who works for you.
    -Be adaptable to change.
    -If someone has worked there for 15+ years then maybe it is time to get new employment. Management in certain offices get burned out and become negative on everything to the new employees who are trying to enjoy themselves.
    -Every Executive Director should go through monthly or quarter meetings to keep the positive energy flow in their office.

Muscular Dystrophy Association Response

Jun 19, 2017 – HR Director

We do appreciate the advice you shared and are very much trying to create a more flexible and adaptable culture. It's a work in progress! It can be challenging having so many offices in the US at... More

"Tough, stressful, and lots of pressure"

Former Employee - Fundraising Coordinator in Charlotte, NC
    Former Employee - Fundraising Coordinator in Charlotte, NC

I worked at Muscular Dystrophy Association full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Enjoyed interacting with the families that MDA serves. There are a lot of great families that helped me to stay motivated.

Cons

Lots of pressure to meet goals constantly with little to no support from leadership and management.

I constantly felt like I was going to be fired if I didn't meet my event goals.

When I interviewed for the job of Fundraising Coordinator, I was told there wouldn't be any cold calling. After I started, it was about 80% cold calling. If you have a strong sales background, this is the job for you.

Advice to Management

Support your employees better

Current Employee - Fundraising Coordinator

I have been working at Muscular Dystrophy Association full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

MDA makes you feel very connected with the mission. I love that I have the opportunity to meet the individuals and families we serve because it makes my job so much more rewarding. Everyone in my district office is very hardworking and work together very well. My superiors are supportive and care about helping me to succeed in my fundraising programs.

Cons

MDA doesn't give out any raises unless you are promoted.

5. "Fundraising Coordinator"

Former Employee - Fundraising Coordinator

I worked at Muscular Dystrophy Association full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Helping out clients in your community. Community service. Planning exciting events. Learning more about the medical field.

Cons

I can't think of any cons. This was truly a wonderful position. I was just offered a position that paid more.

Advice to Management

I know that since I have left a lot has changed within the company. I'm not sure I can give any advice. I just hope the changes were effective and the organization is still doing well.

"Recruitment Coordinator"

Former Employee - Fundraiser/Recruitment Coordinator in Richmond, VA
    Former Employee - Fundraiser/Recruitment Coordinator in Richmond, VA

I worked at Muscular Dystrophy Association full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Best job I ever had! I got to make calls all day to ask people to help with our charity lock-ups. Was a joy to help people with Muscular Dystrophy. To make a difference of that magnitude... wow!

Cons

Low wages, being talked down to as though management personal has more life experience than the employees that are older than them. Hokey incentives... ie. winning a candy bar for hitting quotas, isn't really a "prize".

Advice to Management

Some of the management staff need to be taught how to respect employees. To view the big picture and not let "drama" over-ride fair treatment.

"Fundraising Coordinator Western Division"

Former Employee - Fundraising Coordinator

I worked at Muscular Dystrophy Association (More than a year)

Pros

You are encouraged to personally connect with the individuals and families you serve.
    Depending on your position and relationship to management, your schedule can be flexed.

Cons

Work/life balance is nonexistent; your average work week will be 60+ hours.
    Lack of access to or availability of resources required to fulfill job requirements.
    Management structure is vague and can cause major communication issues between the district and divisional teams.
    You will be required to use your personal cell phone and resources throughout your employment.
    You will also be required to pay for most travel and many event related expenses (hundreds of dollars at a time) personally with reimbursement averaging 4-5 weeks later.

Advice to Management

Elimination of unnecessary middle management positions.
    Overhaul of expense management procedures.
    Update and streamline fundraising events to reflect the current nonprofit market environment. Renew focus on company culture and work environment to curb incredibly high turn over rate.

Current Employee - Fundraising Coordinator in Saint Louis, MO
    Current Employee - Fundraising Coordinator in Saint Louis, MO

I have been working at Muscular Dystrophy Association full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Incredible Families, great district level staff, pay is comparable

Cons

HUGE disconnect between district staff and management. Expect to work 60+ hours a week. Constantly understaffed, always hiring. Favor external candidates for promotions. Not bonus unless you exceed your business plan by 10% AND you're expected to wait 4 month for the payout which was not explained prior to pay period. I am very nervous for how the organization is going to approach the new labor laws.

Advice to Management

Listen to your field staff.

"Great Place To Work!"

Current Employee - Fundraising Coordinator

Pros

Excellent atmosphere, good benefits package including ample PTO and paid holidays. Room to grow and move up the ladder.

Cons

As with any nonprofit, long hours are often necessary and the pay is not reflective of that.

Former Employee - Fundraising Coordinator in Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Fundraising Coordinator in Seattle, WA

I worked at Muscular Dystrophy Association full-time (More than a year)

Pros

You will meet some of the most amazing people working for the MDA. The clients and families you get to help are unforgettable and can change your life.

Cons

Out of date fundraising programs and head offices are unwilling to try new things. Not enough full time staff to make sure everything runs as smoothly as possible.

Advice to Management

Create some new programs and exciting opportunities for the staff you have to help these families. Add more full time staff so you don't burn out the people you have.

Muscular Dystrophy Association Response

Jun 10, 2016 – HR

MDA welcomes all feedback, positive and negative. We agree, we have the most amazing people working at MDA! Our clients and families are at the heart of all we do, we are always looking for ways to... More