Muscular Dystrophy Association Reviews

Updated Apr 27, 2021

2.6
Muscular Dystrophy Association President and CEO Donald S Wood, PhD
Donald S Wood, PhD
Pros
  • "I love my job and the families and sponsors we work with(in 40 reviews)

• "Lot of time off, get to attend summer camp(in 26 reviews)

• Cons
  • "Poor upper management and leadership(in 54 reviews)

• "Work/life balance can sometimes be tough(in 45 reviews)

• More Pros and Cons
    Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.

Ratings by Demographics

This rating reflects the overall rating of Muscular Dystrophy Association and is not affected by filters.

Want more demographic options?
    1. 5.0

Fantastic Company - Usually good management

Mar 11, 2021 - Fundraising Coordinator in New York, NY
      Business Outlook

Pros

You're helping people who need it. The work environment is nurturing providing you get the right manager. Lots of help from the top of the company down

Cons

The problem with top down management is a lack of actual direction without the help of your location's manager and if you don't click with the manager (a person who's selected based on seniority and not always the best fit) you will find yourself lost and most likely ineffectual.

2 people found this review helpful

Muscular Dystrophy Association

Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback. We also believe the MDA mission and our families are the best part of working for MDA. Current leadership care very deeply for all employees and strive to provide an environment where employees feel that they are valued and appreciated. While there have been many changes and challenges at MDA recently, especially in the lens of community events and fundraising, we will continue to support and serve our MDA families, innovate our strategies, and to uplift our employees. If you would like to discuss your comments in the Cons portion further, please reach out to culture@mdausa.org.

2. 1.0
      Former Employee, more than 3 years

Perfidious!

Apr 4, 2021 - Fundraiser in Chicago, IL
      Business Outlook

Pros

The MDA mission, the individuals and families we used to served and the donors and volunteers who helped us make a positive impact in lives!

Cons

MDA employees are not valued, that is the simple and sad truth. There is a very high turnover rate due to vast salary disparity, favoritism, exclusion, toxicity, rudeness, micromanagement, and even humiliation. Honest communication and forthright business practices are a rare commodity. Buzzwords like transparency, authenticity, and accountability are merely buzzwords thrown around like confetti by management. Canned responses by HR to this review are unnecessary as they continue to ring hollow. Despite surveys and invitations to share experiences and seek resolution, no one listened, and nothing has improved nor changed. There was a glimmer of hope when the former CEO was terminated but it appears as though new leadership is just the same old song with a new verse. Like many employees, I began at MDA believing in the mission, excited for the future and then became quite disillusioned/ashamed as we witnessed: -Paying exorbitant fees to consultants to promote a self-aggrandizing reputation in lieu of true mission delivery -Slashing programs of value/assistance to people who depended upon MDA -Inviting employees to an online on-camera meeting to announce furloughs which was deplorable (April 1, 2020) -Explosive outbursts of anger and other inappropriate behaviors/practices by upper management -Paying millions of dollars to a professional union in return for their fundraising support -One C-level employee spent time accepting multiple accolades and awards for the purchase of a software program (instead of ensuring successful implementation of said software) -Increasing the mistreatment of hundreds of employees down to the level of terminating earned benefits (pto). If you are considering employment at MDA, I would not.

11 people found this review helpful
    3. 4.0
      Current Employee, less than 1 year

Worth it if you are up for the challenge!

Apr 27, 2021 - Staff
      Business Outlook

Pros

The MDA has gone through some ups and downs in the last few years, from leadership changes to navigating the nonprofit world during the pandemic. However, the mission still rings true! People have worked harder than ever, especially in the last year as the workforce was slim due to fundraising constraints. The staff pushed through and was still able to deliver all the care to families, put on a virtual camp and provide active research in the MD space. This IS the mission and it was not failed. To me that equals success and shows a place were people are willing to do whatever it takes to further the cause. That makes MDA a place I want to work.

Cons

It is an ever changing environment and still figuring out the best way to bring the organization forward in the future.

4. 5.0
      Current Employee, more than 3 years

Great company with a great mission.

Mar 6, 2017 - Executive Director in Charlotte, NC
      Business Outlook

Pros

Mission driven, lots of flexibility and great relationships. The families and sponsors are amazing. The company continues to make changes that are beneficial to its employees.

Cons

National employees don't always have a good sense of what it's like in the field. Sometimes the cart is ahead of the horse.

184 people found this review helpful

HR Director

Thank you for your review! We appreciate your feedback and support. We are continuing to move forward with implementing new and improved initiatives to benefit MDA employees. We understand your frustration of national staff not always fully understanding the important work the field does on a daily/hourly basis but are hopeful that this disconnect will continue to improve. If you have suggestions or concerns please reach out to your divisional HR Generalist, or use the anonymous suggestion box on Merlin. Thank you for all of the hard work you do!

5. 3.0
      Former Employee, more than 3 years

Overall a good org but some issues are hard to overcome

Feb 8, 2021 - Fundraising
      Business Outlook

Pros

Benefits are pretty good for a nonprofit (good coverage and relatively affordable) Good cause and supportive patient community Incredible advancements in treatments funded by MDA

Cons

No pay raises even when you exceed fundraising and other goals Promote individuals to leadership positions who have no management skills Disconnect between local offices and national office- used to be much better when I first started but major restructuring and layoffs really hurt communication and connection with national office and staff Patient support department isn't set up well and employees that work in care centers burn out super quickly with high turnover Former CEO was totally disconnected from what the organization actually did Averse to change or innovation Toxic environments at local offices

1 person found this review helpful

Muscular Dystrophy Association

Thank you for your feedback. We appreciate hearing about your personal experience and are glad to learn that you enjoyed the benefits like our generous PTO, and ample holiday time! We appreciate everything you have done to help support the MDA mission and families. Funding research to discover medical advances has always been, and continues to be, a very important part of our mission, and we’re grateful that is something you’ve highlighted. All MDA employee compensation packages are aligned with industry standards, and as MDA continues to evolve and grow, we monitor our policies to ensure that we are serving the needs of our employees and families in the most helpful ways. We would be interested to learn more about the cons you listed. If you are interested in sharing more, please reach out to culture@mdausa.org to discuss.

6. 3.0
      Current Employee, more than 5 years

It WAS great and then . . .

Aug 13, 2020 - Fundraising Coordinator
      Business Outlook

Pros

MDA mission, families served, sponsors, camp, local coworkers.

Cons

I'm not even sure where to start. I have been with MDA fulltime for over six years. We were doing great things; we were engaged with the families we served; and we had local sponsors who enjoyed working with the field staff. Then, came along Lynn Voss. Lynn only seems to be interested in building a dream team of upper echelon managers and has little respect for the "lower level employees" who work in the field everyday. Since Voss has been at the helm the work culture has become toxic; for instance, a last minute request for conference call sends employees into a panic that their office may be closing and they are losing their jobs. Voss, and her hand selected management team, seem to only care that Voss' face gets out there for all to see and don't care at all about the families served by MDA nor the employees of MDA. Even with my distrust of Voss I stayed working. Because I loved my job. I loved the families. And I love working for the greater good. Then came COVID . . . and it seems that it is the perfect time for Voss to get to her end game faster. Furloughed employees are, basically, cut off from any progress that MDA is making during these difficult times. It's very discouraging, and disheartening to have been left out in the cold by an employer that I was so loyal to.

11 people found this review helpful

HR Generalist

Thank you for your candid review. We agree that supporting the MDA missions and families are some of the best parts of working for MDA! We are sorry to hear your discontent and frustrations with leadership. However, we can assure that leadership cares for all employees and MDA families, and that all decisions made by leadership are made to benefit and help everyone part of the MDA community. No one could have foreseen the devastating impact of COVID-19. As with virtually all organizations and businesses, this global pandemic has forced MDA to rethink the way we work and to quickly make shifts in our internal operations. In doing so, we have shifted our focus and limited resources to uplift the most impactful aspects of our business so we can help MDA come through this challenging time and continue to serve our families. If you would like to discuss these issues further, please reach out to Human Resources.

7. 3.0

Organization Doing Important Work

Apr 16, 2021 - Muscular Dystrophy Association in Chicago, IL
      Business Outlook

Pros

- Meaningful work - Feel like you're making an impact - Good benefits and work/life balance

Cons

- Limited opportunities for career growth

8. 4.0
      Current Employee, more than 5 years

It seems like the ship is headed in the right direction.

Mar 13, 2021 - Fundraising Manager
      Business Outlook

Pros

New leadership seems to truly care about the mission, families and staff. Fairly competitive salary and flexibility in work for the most part.

Cons

The only constant is change, and many competing priorities. It would be nice to be able to focus on purely fundraising instead of managing change all the time. No 403b match currently, is tough as well.

Muscular Dystrophy Association

Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback. We appreciate hearing about your positive perspective about MDA’s leadership, pay, and work flexibility. Current leadership care very deeply for all employees and strive to provide an environment where employees feel that they are valued and appreciated. While there have been many changes and challenges at MDA recently, especially in the lens of community events and fundraising, we will continue to support and serve our MDA families, innovate our strategies, and to uplift our employees. If you wish to provide further feedback or have additional comments to give to management, please reach out to Human Resources. Thank you for being a valuable member of the MDA Team!

9. 3.0
      Former Employee, more than 1 year

Management could use some help

Feb 8, 2021 - Development Manager in Chicago, IL
      Business Outlook

Pros

The mission and cause is so worthy.

Cons

Internal communication is really lacking. (Former) CEO Lynn O'Connor Vos treated employees as non-existent. She literally walked through the office and wouldn't even look at anyone in a cubicle, let alone say "hi". Maybe she thought she was a celebrity since she was being paid over $500k a year. Most everyone just thought she was rude and full of herself.

1 person found this review helpful

Muscular Dystrophy Association

Thank you for your feedback. We truly agree the MDA mission and our families are the best part of working for MDA. We appreciate everything you have done to help support the MDA! Current and previous leadership care very deeply for all employees and strive to provide an environment where employees feel that they are valued and appreciated. If you would like to discuss your comments in the Cons portion further, please reach out to culture@mdausa.org.

10. 1.0
      Former Employee, more than 5 years

A Sinking Ship with a Failing CEO leading it

Oct 25, 2020 - Critical Care Clinical Specialist
      Business Outlook

Pros

decent PTO and holidays time but thats about it

Cons

company honestly does not care about their employees, low pay, constant change, took away 401k contribution, CEO is clueless and only cares about herself and a few people at the top

4 people found this review helpful

HR Generalist

Thank you for your candid review. As with most organizations, COVID-19 has challenged our organization in ways that we could have never foreseen or even prepared for. This ongoing pandemic has forced MDA to rethink the way we work and to quickly make shifts in our internal operations. In doing so, we have had to make some extremely difficult decisions and shift our focus and limited resources to uplift the most impactful aspects of our business so we can come through this challenging time and continue to serve our families. We can assure that MDA cares deeply for all employees and is as honest and transparent as possible. If you would like to discuss further, please reach out to culture@mdausa.org.

Viewing 1 - 10 of 575 Reviews