Muscular Dystrophy Association Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated August 16, 2017

1.0
Kristine Welker

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Relationships with individuals and families- knowing you are making a difference (in 23 reviews)

• The families are amazing and you get a lot of opportunities to interact with them (in 15 reviews)

Cons
  • So much employee turnover due in part to poor work/life balance (in 39 reviews)

• They also expect you to get past gatekeepers (receptionist) to speak to upper management often it doesn't happen (in 32 reviews)

1. "Fundraising"

I have been working at Muscular Dystrophy Association full-time

Pros

Mission. Families. Ambassadors.

Cons

Company has a hard time getting out of its own way. Employees are not empowered. Very siloed organizationally. Constant management shuffles, regional shuffles, etc.

Advice to Management

Treat your employees better - stop nickel and diming them. Lift up your teams and encourage collaboration and innovation.

2. "Fundraising Coordinator"

I worked at Muscular Dystrophy Association full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I loved working with our families, great time off benefits

Cons

Extreme disconnect between the national staff and the local staff, and extremely unrealistic budgets. For the majority of my time at MDA, we had a HORRIBLE ED - she screamed at everyone, was incredibly unprofessional, and made our office an incredibly hostile workplace. Despite numerous written and verbal complaints to HR, nothing was done, even after the ED took retaliatory action against us. They have taken away every service that was helpful to our families, which makes it extremely difficult to keep families engaged with the mission. The only reason I stayed as long as I did was believing the misguided notion that I could actually help our families. Oh, and as an added bonus - there are no raises given, EVER, not even for cost of living.

Advice to Management

Provide services that actually assist families, and stop making them pay out of pocket for services that are advertised as free.

3. "Manager"

I worked at Muscular Dystrophy Association full-time

Pros

Great mission. Always inspired by the strength and positivity of the families we work with.

Cons

-Terrible management
    -Company is in dire financial situation
    -Positions and services are constantly being cut
    -Top heavy organization
    -Poor communication from leadership
    -Low morale
    -Overworked staff who is underpaid and not trained enough

Advice to Management

Fire some of the EVPs, CEs, National Directors, etc. etc. etc. - people at the top. Get some fresh leadership and invest in your staff.

Aug 15, 2017 – HR Director

We appreciate and agree that you feel our mission is powerful and inspirational for the families we support. I do need to comment that our organization is not in a dire financial situation. We... More

"It's all about the $$, not the mission!"

Former Employee - Director of Business Development
    Former Employee - Director of Business Development

I worked at Muscular Dystrophy Association full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Working with families was amazing. Good thing is that I have been able to keep in touch with them.

Cons

AWFUL upper management. Executive Director was just as bad and did not support any employees in the office. ED was way to unqualified for the position and was more interested in looking good on a weekly call. Our job is to raise $$$ but not at the expense of being fake to families and donors. Also, donated items are for events, not for the ED to use whenever they want to eat or drink. Horrible place!

Advice to Management

Local and regional MDA is only interested in CYA and not establishing trust with their employees. Regional Director was rude as can be and made sexist remarks. Horrible! Horrible was I was treated during my time at MDA! You all should be ashamed of yourselves.

"Very Unprofessional, struggling to find a clear national vision and fundraising success"

Former Employee - Executive Director
    Former Employee - Executive Director

I worked at Muscular Dystrophy Association full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Volunteers and Families are wonderful

Cons

Nationally not successful in fundraising
    Cutting services that families count on and need
    Keeps changing National Management
    Treat employees horrible
    Allow a lot of pettiness and bullying
    Not a secure job - people constantly fearing more staff cuts
    Treat temporary employees like garbage
    Constantly bringing in people from outside for National team
    Top heavy at National, not enough people in the field

Advice to Management

Pick a vision and stick with it
    Give less power to HR and more to the local managers and directors
    Promote from within more again

Aug 15, 2017 – HR Director

Thank you for your time spent at MDA and contributing to our mission and families. Being a national organization with 90 offices across the country requires their to be a set of standards in place... More

"Love for MDA has Died"

Former Employee - Administrative Assistant
    Former Employee - Administrative Assistant

I worked at Muscular Dystrophy Association full-time

Pros

The money raised goes towards medical research.

Cons

Money, money, money. It's all about meeting budget, securing/chasing money.
    No matter what position you are in, you have very little interaction with the families. If you did want to spend time with the families and volunteer, you can't because you can not exceed 35 hours. I did not feel valued/heard as an employee or family member. I made several complaints about the leadership issues in the office and in the end, that hurt me. Instead of acting as a "no retaliation" work place it was the opposite. Because I spoke up, I was punished. In the course of a year, the office has had 10 employees leave. The day I put in my two weeks they basically said don't bother consider today your last day. The FC put her two weeks in that very same day and they showed zero concern for her departure as well.
    Not all staff members are held to the same standards. Some employees do not dress professionally and are never spoken to. Some employees are always late or missing work, and never spoken to. The ones that do dress nice and arrive on time are treated like garbage.
    Overall, the worst work environment I have ever been a part of. My family will no longer use MDA for any form of service. We will go through Cure SMA.

Advice to Management

I have given my advice to management and HR and was punished for it.
    Bottom line, treat your employees better, let them be involved with the families you service.
    The health care side needs serious help! Put more focus on the adults who suffer from the 48 diseases instead of just the kids.
    Get rid of POPs and outdated programs.

Aug 10, 2017 – HR

Thank you for the time you spent at MDA and sharing your concerns. We always enjoy having those close to MDA working with our organization as it is someone who knows first hand the mission and the... More

"Great ideas, poor leadership"

I have been working at Muscular Dystrophy Association full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Nice small outreach office with a lot of activity with fundraising and healthcare assistance for those in need.

Cons

Sad that there is too much office gossip about each other that detracts from the good of the cause.

Advice to Management

Be more professional, follow company protocol without double standards.

Aug 10, 2017 – HR

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience working at the MDA and we are glad to see you are a current employee! It is unfortunate to hear that there is gossip in your office and we... More

8. "Good org and vision but.."

Former Employee - Information Technology
    Former Employee - Information Technology

I worked at Muscular Dystrophy Association full-time

Pros

The organization, vision and most people are great to work with. Plenty of work to keep your day busy but you will have no life.

Cons

No work/life balance. Management needs to take a look at the short-term lives of their employees and understand that we are all human and need time for ourselves.

Advice to Management

Think of your employees: You want to keep good and competent employees who will go above and beyond? Throw a bone, not just a pat on a back. Basics of encouragement and encouraging some vacation time would help stabilize the work/life balance.

Aug 10, 2017 – HR

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback! While we agree, the mission and people are the best parts of working here we can’t agree that there is no work-life balance. As you likely know... More

9. "Worst Place Ever"

Former Contractor - Anonymous Contractor
    Former Contractor - Anonymous Contractor

I worked at Muscular Dystrophy Association as a contractor

Pros

The only pros were literally the hours but if you didn't get a certain amount of people to participate then you didn't get your full break.

Cons

Management sucked and the whole entire job sucked. The setup and environment was the most unprofessional place I have ever worked. There was so much profanity and bad language from not only coworkers but management as well.

Advice to Management

Replace them all.

"Horrible"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Broomall, PA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Broomall, PA

I worked at Muscular Dystrophy Association full-time

Pros

Great Charity /organization. Programs they offer to kids are amazing

Cons

bad management
    never get back to you