Muscular Dystrophy Association Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated February 28, 2017

2.0
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Kristine Welker

Pros
  • It's amazing coming to work each day knowing you are making a difference in someone's life (in 22 reviews)

• The families are amazing and you get a lot of opportunities to interact with them (in 15 reviews)

Cons
  • Work/life balance is nonexistent; your average work week will be 60 (in 37 reviews)

• They also expect you to get past gatekeepers (receptionist) to speak to upper management often it doesn't happen (in 32 reviews)

"Tough, stressful, and lots of pressure"

Former Employee - Fundraising Coordinator in Charlotte, NC
    Former Employee - Fundraising Coordinator in Charlotte, NC

I worked at Muscular Dystrophy Association full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Enjoyed interacting with the families that MDA serves. There are a lot of great families that helped me to stay motivated.

Cons

Lots of pressure to meet goals constantly with little to no support from leadership and management.

I constantly felt like I was going to be fired if I didn't meet my event goals.

When I interviewed for the job of Fundraising Coordinator, I was told there wouldn't be any cold calling. After I started, it was about 80% cold calling. If you have a strong sales background, this is the job for you.

Advice to Management

Support your employees better

2. "Still not turning the corner"

I have been working at Muscular Dystrophy Association full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Mission rich work. Co workers and associates make the job fun!

Cons

Still no pay for performance. No salary increases unless you are promoted or you are a C level manager. It's amazing the CEO and others received salary increases while those of us get great performance reviews but no salary increase. Not even a COLA? come on.

Advice to Management

if you want to keep staff please provide career path (including administrative) and pay for performance.

"Admin"

I worked at Muscular Dystrophy Association full-time

Pros

Great mission and great purpose

Cons

Salary salary salary salary salary

"Family Support Specialist"

I have been working at Muscular Dystrophy Association full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Make a Difference
    Mission Rich Work
    Great Co-workers

Cons

Poor Work Life Balance
    Unrealistic expectations
    Work Load unmanageable
    Funds Driven Mentality

Advice to Management

Realistic Goal Setting
    Support for all Workers of all levels
    More opportunities for growth and advancement
    Increase efforts on retention

Muscular Dystrophy Association Response

Feb 8, 2017 – HR

Thank you for your candid review and sticking by our mission 3 years now, that’s wonderful! As a current employee you will be happy to know we are working to address some of the advice you shared in ... More

"Lost sight of the mission to help people"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

I worked at Muscular Dystrophy Association full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Working with the families is incredible and yet humbling. On paper, you work a 35 hour work week, but the reality is that it's usually far more.

Cons

Low pay. Families are denied simple things because of so much red tape. No raises. Too many bosses who know very little about the region they oversee remotely.

Advice to Management

Let the people you hired for their talents do the job they were hired to do.

"Great mission..."

Former Employee - Fundraiser in Taylorsville, UT
    Former Employee - Fundraiser in Taylorsville, UT

I worked at Muscular Dystrophy Association full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

They offer 1/2 days on Fridays during the summer and completely close everything between Christmas and New Year.
    Fun fundraising events that all staff get to attend.
    Lots of free t-shirts. There's a shirt for every event.
    You get to know some of the best people working with MDA families and you get to spend a week at summer camp.
    79% of money raised goes towards the mission.
    It's a great place to work for a short time.

Cons

So much employee turnover due in part to poor work/life balance.
    The national office controls everything and micromanages events from 1 central location without taking into consideration local markets. And local offices can't hold any event without approval from them.
    National office sets unreasonable fundraising goals for offices without giving them the tools to reach those goals. They expect you to pay for travel expenses out of your own pocket and then wait 4-5 weeks to be reimbursed which is sometimes several hundred dollars.

Advice to Management

Allow local offices more autonomy so they can plan events. Also, give each office a charge card so they're not always waiting for checks or having to pay expenses on private cards. Also, come up with a better standard for giving raises. There's no incentive to stay with the company long term.

"Good company, nightmare job"

Former Employee - Telemarketer in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Telemarketer in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Muscular Dystrophy Association full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Nice people. Over 70% of the money raised goes the target, regularly putting MDA in the top 10 non-profits.

Cons

Cold calling is a nightmare. Telemarketers are asked to lie. If you're OK with routinely telling little fibs to trick people out of money, a quick thinker and don't mind getting yelled at by lawyers, you might thrive here. Turnover rate is hilariously high - the average coworker lasted about six business days. You're expected to raise about $1,200 a day. They fired me (a justifiable termination, I wasn't meeting the quota) but forgot to tell me. I didn't find out until I showed up at the office and people asked, "what are you doing here?"

Advice to Management

Not convinced advice will fall on anything but deaf ears, so: Smile and dial!

"Fundraising Coordinator Western Division"

Former Employee - Fundraising Coordinator
    Former Employee - Fundraising Coordinator

I worked at Muscular Dystrophy Association (More than a year)

Pros

You are encouraged to personally connect with the individuals and families you serve.
    Depending on your position and relationship to management, your schedule can be flexed.

Cons

Work/life balance is nonexistent; your average work week will be 60+ hours.
    Lack of access to or availability of resources required to fulfill job requirements.
    Management structure is vague and can cause major communication issues between the district and divisional teams.
    You will be required to use your personal cell phone and resources throughout your employment.
    You will also be required to pay for most travel and many event related expenses (hundreds of dollars at a time) personally with reimbursement averaging 4-5 weeks later.

Advice to Management

Elimination of unnecessary middle management positions.
    Overhaul of expense management procedures.
    Update and streamline fundraising events to reflect the current nonprofit market environment. Renew focus on company culture and work environment to curb incredibly high turn over rate.

"Great mission, not employee centered"

Former Employee - Administrative Assistant
    Former Employee - Administrative Assistant

I worked at Muscular Dystrophy Association full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

The families are getting the help they need. Loved to watch them enjoying summer camp. Benefits were available at a reasonable rate.

Cons

Too many chiefs. Low wages, cut backs and lack of employee recognition make for a very unstable and under appreciated career.

Advice to Management

Cut upper management, build up the field workers.

"Director of Business Development"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Portland, OR
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Portland, OR

I worked at Muscular Dystrophy Association full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great cause and families that you work for

Cons

Local management of the office.