Muscular Dystrophy Association Reviews | Glassdoor

2.0
Muscular Dystrophy Association CEO Lynn O’Connor Vos
Lynn O’Connor Vos

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Relationships with individuals and families- knowing you are making a difference (in 24 reviews)

• The families are amazing and you get a lot of opportunities to interact with them (in 16 reviews)

Cons
  • Work/life balance is nonexistent; your average work week will be 60 (in 39 reviews)

• Upper management needs to reevaluate a lot of ways they do things (in 34 reviews)

"MDA"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Baltimore, MD
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Baltimore, MD

I worked at Muscular Dystrophy Association full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great mission. Helping people with neuromuscular disorders and providing hope through research is fantastic. Nationwide organization with ability to provide benefits at lower cost.

Cons

Outdated fundraising techniques, technology was lacking at the time I was there, multiple layers of management who had been there for 15+years, change was slow and not always welcome. Cut several programs which provided assistance to individuals which was disappointing.

Advice to Management

Branding update needed, research is terrific, however, people with the illness need so much help with mobility issues, equipment and accessibility that funding should be reinstated for those programs.

"A lot of room for improvement"

I have been working at Muscular Dystrophy Association full-time (More than a year)

Pros

PTO is generous and relatively flexible.

Cons

No room for advancement, limited diversity, unavailable and lack of knowledge from upper management. Unable to perform job duties due to lack of resources, outdated software. Lack of integrity-told to lie in order to solicit donations.

Advice to Management

Be available, listen, and communicate openly. Stop trying to cut down others so you can stay at top.

"Certain Need For Improvement"

I have been working at Muscular Dystrophy Association full-time

Pros

The MDA often has daily interaction with families in need that, if you know what you're doing and are passionate about others, leaves you feeling good at the end of the day.

Cons

Teamwork is preached by leadership then tactics are put in place to promote the exact opposite of that. It often times seems that if it's efficient, lets not do it. If it's considerate, lets not do it. If its right, lets not do it.

Advice to Management

Pay attention to the feedback you receive from all around - turnover isn't always the employees problem... eventually you must be introspective and see the problem within yourself.

"fundraising, sales"

I worked at Muscular Dystrophy Association full-time

Pros

fast paced work environment with quotas for accountability

Cons

organization has made many cuts to vital health care programs

"Do Not Work Here. Awful Management."

Former Employee - Fundraising Coordinator
    Former Employee - Fundraising Coordinator

I worked at Muscular Dystrophy Association full-time (More than a year)

Pros

-Helping/raising money for kids and families living with MD.
    -Great benefits

Cons

-AWFUL management.
    -You will get ganged up on in the office if you haven't been around more than 2 years.
    -Policy's are way too strict and does not trust any of their employees.
    -Executive Directors are not all the best.
    -Very unprofessional.
    -Everything that you cant control and it goes wrong then you will get blamed and put on probation.

Advice to Management

-Change your policy's. Just because something has happened in the past does not mean it will happy again.
    -Know who works for you.
    -Be adaptable to change.
    -If someone has worked there for 15+ years then maybe it is time to get new employment. Management in certain offices get burned out and become negative on everything to the new employees who are trying to enjoy themselves.
    -Every Executive Director should go through monthly or quarter meetings to keep the positive energy flow in their office.

Muscular Dystrophy Association Response

Jun 19, 2017 – HR Director

We do appreciate the advice you shared and are very much trying to create a more flexible and adaptable culture. It's a work in progress! It can be challenging having so many offices in the US at... More

6. "Family Care Specialist"

Current Employee - Family Care Specialist
    Current Employee - Family Care Specialist

I have been working at Muscular Dystrophy Association full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Relationships with individuals and families- knowing you are making a difference. Your form strong bonds with fellow co workers, clinical staff and volunteers.

Cons

Unrealistic expectations. Constant micromanaging from ED. MDA makes everything a competition- so even though you tried your hardest & exceeded its still not good enough. Don't expect any praise for good work. Outdated work methods and office equipment.

Advice to Management

Stop and listen to your staff that work one on one with families.

7. "Recruiting Coordinator"

Former Contractor - Recruiting Coordinator in Richmond, VA
    Former Contractor - Recruiting Coordinator in Richmond, VA

I worked at Muscular Dystrophy Association as a contractor

Pros

You come work your time/shift, nothing more or less.
    Friendly people in the work place.
    Working for a great cause.

Cons

They have unrealistic goals and time frames based on the event.
    Since it is a non-profit it is behind in up to date office technology.
    Didn't get proper training.
    Only was given 4 weeks to meet their goals in one of their hardest events, after only a day and a half of training.
    The pay for the amount of work and what is expected does not match.
    Told to lie to people to get them to commit to a great cause, I feel like honesty would help more, but the supervisor stated it doesn't work.

Advice to Management

Find ways/funding to give employees raises and update your offices.

"Overworked & under paid"

Pros

Working with the families you fundraise for & networking with great community partners

Cons

Extremely old equipment, inefficient computer programs, lack of communication from top down and unrealistic expectations.

Advice to Management

Invest in your company and employees, don't just give everyone a logo sweater & expect people to stay

"Tough, stressful, and lots of pressure"

Former Employee - Fundraising Coordinator in Charlotte, NC
    Former Employee - Fundraising Coordinator in Charlotte, NC

I worked at Muscular Dystrophy Association full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Enjoyed interacting with the families that MDA serves. There are a lot of great families that helped me to stay motivated.

Cons

Lots of pressure to meet goals constantly with little to no support from leadership and management.

I constantly felt like I was going to be fired if I didn't meet my event goals.

When I interviewed for the job of Fundraising Coordinator, I was told there wouldn't be any cold calling. After I started, it was about 80% cold calling. If you have a strong sales background, this is the job for you.

Advice to Management

Support your employees better

"Still not turning the corner"

I have been working at Muscular Dystrophy Association full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Mission rich work. Co workers and associates make the job fun!

Cons

Still no pay for performance. No salary increases unless you are promoted or you are a C level manager. It's amazing the CEO and others received salary increases while those of us get great performance reviews but no salary increase. Not even a COLA? come on.

Advice to Management

if you want to keep staff please provide career path (including administrative) and pay for performance.