Muscular Dystrophy Association Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated July 6, 2017

5.0
Kristine Welker

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Relationships with individuals and families- knowing you are making a difference (in 23 reviews)

• The families are amazing and you get a lot of opportunities to interact with them (in 15 reviews)

Cons
  • So much employee turnover due in part to poor work/life balance (in 39 reviews)

• They also expect you to get past gatekeepers (receptionist) to speak to upper management often it doesn't happen (in 32 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Great company with a great mission."

Current Employee - Executive Director in Charlotte, NC
    Current Employee - Executive Director in Charlotte, NC

I have been working at Muscular Dystrophy Association full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Mission driven, lots of flexibility and great relationships. The families and sponsors are amazing. The company continues to make changes that are beneficial to its employees.

Cons

National employees don't always have a good sense of what it's like in the field. Sometimes the cart is ahead of the horse.

Advice to Management

Continue in the direction you are going and add additional opportunities for growth within the organization.

Muscular Dystrophy Association Response

Mar 23, 2017 – HR Director

Thank you for your review! We appreciate your feedback and support. We are continuing to move forward with implementing new and improved initiatives to benefit MDA employees. We understand your... More

2. "Best position in a long time!"

Current Employee - Field Employee
    Current Employee - Field Employee

I have been working at Muscular Dystrophy Association full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The mission, families, Summer Camp and work life balance. We also get half day Fridays in the Summer and long two week holiday time at Christmas which is all paid.

Cons

The work is mission driven but some staff are out for themselves and will quit during the busiest time, not caring about the impact to their team or families we are helping.

Advice to Management

before making changes in the field review how those decision will impact staff and families. Often these changes are disconnected and appear to not be aligned with our vision.

3. "RC"

I have been working at Muscular Dystrophy Association part-time

Pros

Great environment and positive upper management

Cons

Only part time hours available for position

4. "Cool"

Current Employee - Administrative Assistant in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Administrative Assistant in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Muscular Dystrophy Association full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Nice place to work for

Cons

Nothing, great to work for

5. "Fundraising"

Former Intern - Intern in San Francisco, CA
    Former Intern - Intern in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Muscular Dystrophy Association as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

I was given the opportunity to help a cause that I believe in.

Cons

Small office environment in San Francisco, before they moved to Alameda.

"Fundraising Coordinator"

Current Employee - Fundraising Coordinator
    Current Employee - Fundraising Coordinator

I have been working at Muscular Dystrophy Association full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

MDA makes you feel very connected with the mission. I love that I have the opportunity to meet the individuals and families we serve because it makes my job so much more rewarding. Everyone in my district office is very hardworking and work together very well. My superiors are supportive and care about helping me to succeed in my fundraising programs.

Cons

MDA doesn't give out any raises unless you are promoted.

7. "Divisional Director"

Current Employee - Divisional Director in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Divisional Director in Los Angeles, CA

Pros

An organization who truly cares about our staff and families Diligent in how we manage finances. Passionate! Committed with Integrity. Management truly invests in the staff professional and personal development! Nearly entire Leadership Staff has been there over 10 years promoted from within. I am honored to work for MDA!

Cons

I feel like as the organization grows we can retain and gain the right staff by elevating our positions. We can become more competitive with our salaries. I'm here to stay and happy to be a part of getting ourselves to a place where we can see this through.

8. "Fundraising Coordinator"

Former Employee - Fundraising Coordinator
    Former Employee - Fundraising Coordinator

I worked at Muscular Dystrophy Association full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Helping out clients in your community. Community service. Planning exciting events. Learning more about the medical field.

Cons

I can't think of any cons. This was truly a wonderful position. I was just offered a position that paid more.

Advice to Management

I know that since I have left a lot has changed within the company. I'm not sure I can give any advice. I just hope the changes were effective and the organization is still doing well.

9. "Great experience along side a great company"

Former Contractor - Anonymous Contractor in Fresno, CA
    Former Contractor - Anonymous Contractor in Fresno, CA

I worked at Muscular Dystrophy Association as a contractor (Less than a year)

Pros

I think that this company is great. They provide awareness and outreach for the greater good. Your hand elderly alike. I loved fundraising for the MDA. And I'd love to do it again.

Cons

The position isn't full time and it seasonal. So for their call center and fundraising opportunity, there isn't one. It's a dead end on that aspect. I'm really good at customer service and support. I just wish there was more opportunities there to do so.

Advice to Management

Please build a call center you guys need one. It's a necessity that you guys are always plugged in so others can connect and do so consistently. It'll broaden the scope in which you guys can look , reach and be reached.

"Recruitment Coordinator"

Former Employee - Fundraiser/Recruitment Coordinator in Richmond, VA
    Former Employee - Fundraiser/Recruitment Coordinator in Richmond, VA

I worked at Muscular Dystrophy Association full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Best job I ever had! I got to make calls all day to ask people to help with our charity lock-ups. Was a joy to help people with Muscular Dystrophy. To make a difference of that magnitude... wow!

Cons

Low wages, being talked down to as though management personal has more life experience than the employees that are older than them. Hokey incentives... ie. winning a candy bar for hitting quotas, isn't really a "prize".

Advice to Management

Some of the management staff need to be taught how to respect employees. To view the big picture and not let "drama" over-ride fair treatment.