Muscular Dystrophy Association Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

2.7
Kristine Welker

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Relationships with individuals and families- knowing you are making a difference (in 23 reviews)

• The families are amazing and you get a lot of opportunities to interact with them (in 15 reviews)

Cons
  • So much employee turnover due in part to poor work/life balance (in 39 reviews)

• They also expect you to get past gatekeepers (receptionist) to speak to upper management often it doesn't happen (in 31 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Great company with a great mission."

Current Employee - Executive Director in Charlotte, NC
    Current Employee - Executive Director in Charlotte, NC

I have been working at Muscular Dystrophy Association full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Mission driven, lots of flexibility and great relationships. The families and sponsors are amazing. The company continues to make changes that are beneficial to its employees.

Cons

National employees don't always have a good sense of what it's like in the field. Sometimes the cart is ahead of the horse.

Advice to Management

Continue in the direction you are going and add additional opportunities for growth within the organization.

Muscular Dystrophy Association Response

Mar 23, 2017 – HR Director

Thank you for your review! We appreciate your feedback and support. We are continuing to move forward with implementing new and improved initiatives to benefit MDA employees. We understand your... More

"Very Awarding Job"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX

Pros

Family interaction
    Loyalty to mission
    Help people change their lives
    Summer Camp
    Meet new people everyday
    Work with great people

Cons

Economy makes finding new sponsors difficult
    Company not always recognized for all the great things we do for our families
    Not enough national headquarters in our area to recruit for sponsorships

Advice to Management

The leadership has had many changes but overall the heart of the company has remained the same. Management is developing extended training for Executive Directors.

3. "It was a wonderful experience that gave meaning to work"

Current Employee - District Director in Tulsa, OK
    Current Employee - District Director in Tulsa, OK

Pros

families, flexiable schedule, and the sponsors you get to work with

Cons

regional office being next door.

Advice to Management

be innovative. they love creativity, and making events even better

"Hard Work Pays Off"

Former Employee - Health Care Services Coordinator in Honolulu, HI
    Former Employee - Health Care Services Coordinator in Honolulu, HI

I worked at Muscular Dystrophy Association full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Working for MDA was an incredible experience! As the main point of contact for all families in Hawaii serviced by MDA, it was clear to me day after day that we were making a difference. In addition to helping others, I enjoyed the fast paced work environment. There was never a dull moment and never a time when I said to myself, "hmm...I think I'm all caught up." During my time with MDA, I grew so much personally and professionally. I was allowed to take ownership of the programs and do what I thought was best to grow them. I appreciated this freedom, and I always had support (from local, regional, divisional AND national) when I needed it. Lastly, everything at MDA is done as a team. I LOVE this!

Cons

- Too many levels of management in some situations.
    - Too many acronyms...I actually had a cheat sheet for the first year to decipher what they all meant.
    - It's hard to separate work from home when you care so much about the people you're helping.

Advice to Management

I think it would be helpful to have more people in the field.

"Growth"

Current Employee - Fundraising Coordinator in Minneapolis, MN
    Current Employee - Fundraising Coordinator in Minneapolis, MN

I have been working at Muscular Dystrophy Association full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

I have been with MDA for over 10 years and am most thankful for the opportunity to have real impact in my role. I am challenged daily to perform at a high level. No day is the same at MDA and the variety keeps things interesting. The families served by MDA are close to the staff and help you connect the dots. I work with an amazingly talented group of dedicated people. I appreciate the creativity and collaboration you find in the offices.

Cons

Certainly cons with any position. In order to provide a high level of services we must achieve our fundraising goals which means personal accountability and hard work.

Advice to Management

Continue to grow the services for the families. Strengthen clinic partnerships and maximize dollars spent to provide the highest quality of care possible.

"A great organization and a great cause"

Current Employee - Director of Business Development in Broomall, PA
    Current Employee - Director of Business Development in Broomall, PA

I have been working at Muscular Dystrophy Association full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

1. National MDA staff, including the new CEO, are very attentive to what's going on in the local offices and what changes staff feel need to be made and then they address those issues. It really is nice to know that your voice is being heard and that they are constantly wanting to grow and better themselves as an organization.
    2. Our local leadership staff is phenomenal. I've been fortunate to be trained by people with 15 or more years experience with MDA and they could not be more helpful or supportive.
    3. Clear expectations and standards--what I was told about the job in advance is exactly what it has been (which, as we all know, is not always the case).
    4. My training was effective. You never know in starting a new job if they're going to throw you to the wolves right away or if you're going to sit through a month's worth of boring training videos. I felt that starting with MDA I had a good balance between theoretical training (videos, packets, one-on-one time with my supervisor discussing what I would be doing in the near future) and practical training (observing someone else doing aspects the job, doing things alongside my supervisor, having the opportunity to travel to nearby offices and gain experience from their team as well, etc).

Cons

You do work occasional evening and weekend hours so that won't work for everybody but the good news is those evening/weekend hours are events that are planned in advance. I haven't had any surprise late nights or anything like that.

Advice to Management

Continue to listen to your field staff and continue applying that feedback. I love seeing MDA growing as an organization and I want to continue to see us getting better and better.

7. "Best job I ever had"

Current Employee - Executive Director

I have been working at Muscular Dystrophy Association full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Work with some of the best families to make a difference in their lives, paid fairly for non-profit, get to have local autonomy and the support of a National office, hire great people who are dedicated and passionate about the cause, supportive management structure, paths for promotion

Cons

If you want to work in a job where you punch in at 9 and leave at 5 and take a long lunch, this isn't the place for you.

8. "Amazing growth"

Current Employee - Fundraising Coordinator in Phoenix, AZ
    Current Employee - Fundraising Coordinator in Phoenix, AZ

Pros

There is change among the company right now, which is a benefit to many in the company. The company is making changes for long term success.

Cons

the hours are Monday through Friday 9-5 with an hour lunch so with a 7 hour work day you consistently need to be getting work done, on the flip side only a 35 hour work week so you aren't tired and exhausted at the end of the week.

9. "Wonderful"

Former Employee - Administrative Assistant in Tucson, AZ
    Former Employee - Administrative Assistant in Tucson, AZ

I worked at Muscular Dystrophy Association full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Great people, benefits, good work hours. Good Atmosphere

Cons

not able to advance in the company: people stay in their positions for a long time.

Advice to Management

I liked the management

10. "Love working here!"

Current Employee - Executive Director

Pros

MDA is the best company that I have worked for. The cause is hands down one of the best out there and you can truly own your development and success. I am challenged every week and love every minute of it.

Cons

There is a lot of nights and weekends in this role but so goes event planning and anything in the nonprofit industry.

Advice to Management

Continue to invest in your people.