Muscular Dystrophy Association Reviews | Glassdoor

Muscular Dystrophy Association Reviews

Updated June 13, 2017

Full-time Part-time

Pros
  • Relationships with individuals and families- knowing you are making a difference (in 23 reviews)

• The families are amazing and you get a lot of opportunities to interact with them (in 15 reviews)

Cons
  • So much employee turnover due in part to poor work/life balance (in 38 reviews)

• They also expect you to get past gatekeepers (receptionist) to speak to upper management often it doesn't happen (in 31 reviews)

"Great people, poor executive leadership."

Former Employee - Executive Director in Billings, MT
    Former Employee - Executive Director in Billings, MT

I worked at Muscular Dystrophy Association full-time

Pros

The cause and the families that the MDA serves are absolutely amazing.
    The Divisional Directors down to the field offices are the people that understand the heartbeat of the organization and are an amazing group of people to call your colleagues.

Cons

The executive leadership is sporadic and inadequate in their attempt to lead an organization that is multi-faceted in terms of both mission and the very intricate market specific nuances that aren't realized in Chicago. An employee should have no faith that their position will be maintained within the next 3-6 months, as the executive leadership in the organization cannot focus on a long term strategy for mission. Healthcare employees are served the worst, as they are tasked with being the lifeline to the families the organization serves, but are constantly pulled in the wrong directions, as their job description is constantly in flux.

Advice to Management

Include Divisional and Executive Directors (field leaders) involved in all decisions that directly impact success at the local level. This includes giving the field the opportunity to weigh in on the importance of a position before it is cut, 5 months after it was created without any notice to the field or the employee in question.

2. "Accountant"

Former Employee - Accountant in Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Accountant in Seattle, WA

I worked at Muscular Dystrophy Association full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

great place to work with family

Cons

great management no cons at all

"Terrible Management"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Cypress, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Cypress, CA

I have been working at Muscular Dystrophy Association full-time

Pros

Decent salary, PTO, good co-workers, opportunities to meet MDA families and form relationships.

Cons

Management is the worst. Lack of support. Insane expectations.

Advice to Management

Listen to your employees and take action.

"Great Workplace and Great Attitude"

Current Employee - Administrative Assistant in Lafayette, LA
    Current Employee - Administrative Assistant in Lafayette, LA

I have been working at Muscular Dystrophy Association full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I loved every minute of my time at MDA! I always loved working with the families that we serve and my coworkers were amazing people! I was sad that I was leaving MDA, but I was only leaving because I was given an opportunity for a career in my field with my degree. MDA is a GREAT organization and I wish everyone would see that they are so hardworking from the volunteers all the way up to the CEO! I LOVE MDA!

Cons

I have no cons for MDA! The only con that I would list is perhaps be willing to give out raises to employees who have been with the organization for over a year.

Advice to Management

Y'all are great, just keep in mind that happy employees are great employees!

"Complete lack of leadership, not good stewards of money"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX

I worked at Muscular Dystrophy Association full-time

Pros

Families, they are the only reason most of us are still working here and also the staff is a good team. Families are so important

Cons

Management, no flex time, long weekend hours with no pay is hard on our bodies and our personal lives suffer

Advice to Management

Be a LEADER. You are causing this organization in Houston to sink because of laziness and lack of communication. Flex time is a must.

"Aggressive Management"

Former Employee - Fundraising Coordinator in Lake Mary, FL
    Former Employee - Fundraising Coordinator in Lake Mary, FL

I worked at Muscular Dystrophy Association full-time

Pros

You get the chance to work with individuals and families who are dealing with muscular diseases - helping as much as possible. The HR/recruiting team is incredible.

Cons

The Management team on the Fundraising side is non evolving. I was not properly trained on how to raise money and was ridiculed every step of the way. Once I was making my goals ON MY OWN and with my own direction, I was never appreciated or praised by my immediate manager (Executive Director) - only criticized and asked about the smallest details which gave her a reason to not congratulate me. She was aggressive with her team, and rude to guests that came to our office.

Advice to Management

Give proper training on fundraising - stop with the favoritism.

"Fundraising"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Cypress, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Cypress, CA

I worked at Muscular Dystrophy Association full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Lots of time off.

Cons

Management has no idea what they are doing. There is no infrastructure or proper record keeping, the only use paper and binders, and are completely out dated. 2 last Executive Directors have no prior manager experience, MDA offers no training outside of 1 week webniars but rather then develop and help their employees to succeed, management punishes employees with write ups without the employee even know they were ignorant to due processes. Long hours, including weekends, with no positive reinforcement. Gossipy and negative coworkers. Lots of turn over, in 6 months more then 5 people left out of a 9 person office.

Advice to Management

Rebuild your relationship with clientele, focus on your own development, create standing infrastructure and focus on positive reinforcement. Collaborate don't divide. Work in alliance with your staff, not against.

"Management is the reason I left"

Former Employee - Fundraising Coordinator in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Fundraising Coordinator in New York, NY

Pros

Great cause. Decent benefits. Families you serve at wonderful.

Cons

Management is honestly horrendous and HR doesn't seem to be concerned over their low turnover rate. So many people left MDA in a matter of a few months because of management. It's embarrassing that a national organization cannot keep people happy or keep employees working for longer than a small amount of time. Poor work-life balance they do not compensate you for days that you work on weekends or late nights. All technology and ways of doing things are outdated.

Advice to Management

Replace all management. Everyone is a micromanager and it's common knowledge. Truly feel as thought management needs better training and should train their employees better.

"Former Employee"

Former Employee - Fundraising Coordinator in Memphis, TN
    Former Employee - Fundraising Coordinator in Memphis, TN

I worked at Muscular Dystrophy Association full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Small office environment where you get to know others you work with well. That's about it.

Cons

Working for this company drove me to quit. There was no work life balance. They say you work "9 to 5", but that is only so they don't have to pay you overtime. When in reality I would get to the office at 7am and not leave until 7pm. Not enough staff to get things done. Upper management has a very micromanaging approach to work. I was sent a schedule detailing hour by hour what my day was supposed to look like. Very archaic means of raising money using fax forms, and cold calling people. You had to wear many different hats, and the pay did not reflect this. I went to go out and get food donations for a meeting I was attending, and was told if I didn't come back with everything on the list I would be in trouble. Your territory is large, and you are not allowed to have email on your phone. So the only time you could communicate was while in the office. Overall a very negative experience that has stayed with me even though years have passed. Was told I needed to raise $10,000 by the Muscle Walk in March when I got hired on mid-February.

Advice to Management

Give your employees more money, and give them the means to do their jobs properly. Burnout is a real thing, and work life balance does not exist here.

"MDA"

Current Employee - Fundraising Coordinator in Cincinnati, OH
    Current Employee - Fundraising Coordinator in Cincinnati, OH

I have been working at Muscular Dystrophy Association full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great health benefits
    Incredible vacation/sick day package
    Great opportunity for growth
    The company is moving in a more progressive direction

Cons

The job comes with some stress but that's not a lot compared the benefits. Pay could be better. It is difficult to move up sometimes.

Advice to Management

Starting salary could be bumped up.