Muscular Dystrophy Association Reviews | Glassdoor

Muscular Dystrophy Association Reviews

Updated July 25, 2017

Full-timePart-time

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Relationships with individuals and families- knowing you are making a difference (in 23 reviews)

• The families are amazing and you get a lot of opportunities to interact with them (in 15 reviews)

Cons
  • So much employee turnover due in part to poor work/life balance (in 39 reviews)

• They also expect you to get past gatekeepers (receptionist) to speak to upper management often it doesn't happen (in 31 reviews)

1. "MDA"

I worked at Muscular Dystrophy Association full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Paid to help others, good people

Cons

long hours, poor training,

"Fundraising Coordinator"

Current Employee - Fundraising Coordinator
    Current Employee - Fundraising Coordinator

I have been working at Muscular Dystrophy Association full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

MDA makes you feel very connected with the mission. I love that I have the opportunity to meet the individuals and families we serve because it makes my job so much more rewarding. Everyone in my district office is very hardworking and work together very well. My superiors are supportive and care about helping me to succeed in my fundraising programs.

Cons

MDA doesn't give out any raises unless you are promoted.

"Assistant"

Pros

Doing great things for those suffering with muscle diseases.

Cons

Some members on the management team are very nasty

"Sinking ship"

I worked at Muscular Dystrophy Association full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

The families are AMAZING! Summer camp is the best week of the year for clients 6-17 years of age. Good benefits.

Cons

Where do I start...
    The organization has undergone so many changes they have lost sight of what really matters....THE FAMILIES. The reorganization of the health care services is a joke. Services for families are being cut left and right. Fundraising suffers because what family wants to help MDA when they don't receive any help what so ever. Fundraisers have to stretch the truth to sponsors in order for them to be engaged and keep them around. Positions in the field keep getting cut yet more and more National positions are being created. MDA does not care about their employees what so ever...they want robots who just do what they are told and if you question anything you are labeled a trouble maker and push you to leave. HR IS EXTREMELY BIASED and are not helpful...always seem annoyed when you ask for help. MDA has been hem-ridging good loyal employees for the past 3 years. Don't waste your time...your hard work won't make a difference.

Advice to Management

You have lost so many tenured employees...good luck finding anyone that will stay longer than a year or two.

5. "Divisional Director"

Current Employee - Divisional Director in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Divisional Director in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at Muscular Dystrophy Association full-time (More than a year)

Pros

An organization who truly cares about our staff and families Diligent in how we manage finances. Passionate! Committed with Integrity. Management truly invests in the staff professional and personal development! Nearly entire Leadership Staff has been there over 10 years promoted from within. I am honored to work for MDA!

Cons

I feel like as the organization grows we can retain and gain the right staff by elevating our positions. We can become more competitive with our salaries. I'm here to stay and happy to be a part of getting ourselves to a place where we can see this through.

"Good Company"

I have been working at Muscular Dystrophy Association full-time

Pros

Good amount of time off, beautiful mission.

Cons

No bonuses, no pay increases, no over time, low morale. High turn-over.

"Administrative assistant"

I have been working at Muscular Dystrophy Association full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Invested in the families we work for. Good co-workers. Work day is varied & can be frantic during certain program seasons. Flexible PTO & additional paid vacation day each year.

Cons

Slow to change in structure when facing losses. It painfully in need of upgrade.

Advice to Management

Cut off some additional C-suite executives & promote leaders in the company who do have successful program & office.

"Pretty good place to work"

Pros

Helping people with muscular dystrophy is extremely rewarding. The clients and sponsors are amazing and so are a lot of my coworkers. Most of the diseases covered by MDA are extremely rare, and the effects are heartbreaking. Knowing that the phone calls I answer and the paperwork I push around all day will help provide necessary services to support to our clients, and someday develop a cure, makes the whole thing worth it. Depending on your supervisor, your schedule can be very flexible. There is plenty of time off, and the benefits are good. MDA provides a professional environment. I feel appreciated by my immediate supervisor, and that I am an important part of the team. Everyone works well together. This could very well not be true elsewhere, but it has been my experience for just under a year. I have read pretty much all of the other reviews, and it's fair to say that there are some reasonable and legitimate complaints, but you can also tell that this job is just not for everyone. Overall, I like working for MDA, and will only leave to make more money. I really like going to all the different events. It's a cool experience. Great training program and resources.

Cons

I hate that there is so much to say here, but these are my honest observations. MDA has all the same issues that any other large national company has; upper management seems disconnected with the people on the ground level doing the grunt work. This is not terribly concerning, because there are so many other companies that are significantly worse by comparison. The pay is about 75% what the for profit sector would pay for the same position, so it is not entirely ideal if it is your only income. The fundraising position in particular is extremely difficult and demanding, which leads to high turnover. It's just not for everyone, and it is very hard to find someone who is willing to do it for a long period of time;people get burnt out quickly. Constantly training new people is annoying and erodes efficiency. There have been quite a few drastic changes in the last few years, and they show no signs of stopping. This can be difficult for any organization; also contributes to the high turn over. If you are an administrative assistant, there is essentially zero upward mobility; so if you want to move up or make more money, there is an expiration date to how long you will be here. Fundraisers can move up and so on, but it is slightly more difficult than in the fpr profit sector. Raises are few and far between, especially for staff that is not generating income. Although we do have great training available, management sometimes fails to step in and help before a failure occurs, and then places blame without digging deep to find out why the failure happened in the first place. Overall, all of these things are mildly irritating, but none of it bothers me all that much. Knowing what I know now, I still enjoy working here and will only leave for a better paying job.

Advice to Management

I know an exit interview is conducted with each employee that resigns, so I know that you already know what the major concerns are. I would urge you to take these concerns seriously, as doing so may just help with the high turnover. Upper management: If you notice that a particular program/person is not doing as well as you wish it was/ has done in the past, you should take a personal interest in investigating why that is instead of sending a million emails. None of you seem too keen on getting in the trenches with the field staff, but maybe if you did, you could figure out a solution instead of placing blame in emails.

Muscular Dystrophy Association Response

Jan 5, 2017 – HR Director

Thank you for your review. We do read these, and take them very seriously. I do think you raised some valid concerns and do appreciate the feedback. It's true that we face struggles as a large... More

"Lost sight of the mission to help people"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

I worked at Muscular Dystrophy Association full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Working with the families is incredible and yet humbling. On paper, you work a 35 hour work week, but the reality is that it's usually far more.

Cons

Low pay. Families are denied simple things because of so much red tape. No raises. Too many bosses who know very little about the region they oversee remotely.

Advice to Management

Let the people you hired for their talents do the job they were hired to do.

10. "Fundraising Coordinator"

Former Employee - Fundraising Coordinator
    Former Employee - Fundraising Coordinator

I worked at Muscular Dystrophy Association full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Helping out clients in your community. Community service. Planning exciting events. Learning more about the medical field.

Cons

I can't think of any cons. This was truly a wonderful position. I was just offered a position that paid more.

Advice to Management

I know that since I have left a lot has changed within the company. I'm not sure I can give any advice. I just hope the changes were effective and the organization is still doing well.