Muscular Dystrophy Association Reviews | Glassdoor

Muscular Dystrophy Association Reviews

Updated August 16, 2017

Full-timePart-time

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Relationships with individuals and families- knowing you are making a difference (in 23 reviews)

• The families are amazing and you get a lot of opportunities to interact with them (in 15 reviews)

Cons
  • So much employee turnover due in part to poor work/life balance (in 39 reviews)

• They also expect you to get past gatekeepers (receptionist) to speak to upper management often it doesn't happen (in 32 reviews)

"Good Company"

I have been working at Muscular Dystrophy Association full-time

Pros

Good amount of time off, beautiful mission.

Cons

No bonuses, no pay increases, no over time, low morale. High turn-over.

"Administrative assistant"

I have been working at Muscular Dystrophy Association full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Invested in the families we work for. Good co-workers. Work day is varied & can be frantic during certain program seasons. Flexible PTO & additional paid vacation day each year.

Cons

Slow to change in structure when facing losses. It painfully in need of upgrade.

Advice to Management

Cut off some additional C-suite executives & promote leaders in the company who do have successful program & office.

"Pretty good place to work"

Pros

Helping people with muscular dystrophy is extremely rewarding. The clients and sponsors are amazing and so are a lot of my coworkers. Most of the diseases covered by MDA are extremely rare, and the effects are heartbreaking. Knowing that the phone calls I answer and the paperwork I push around all day will help provide necessary services to support to our clients, and someday develop a cure, makes the whole thing worth it. Depending on your supervisor, your schedule can be very flexible. There is plenty of time off, and the benefits are good. MDA provides a professional environment. I feel appreciated by my immediate supervisor, and that I am an important part of the team. Everyone works well together. This could very well not be true elsewhere, but it has been my experience for just under a year. I have read pretty much all of the other reviews, and it's fair to say that there are some reasonable and legitimate complaints, but you can also tell that this job is just not for everyone. Overall, I like working for MDA, and will only leave to make more money. I really like going to all the different events. It's a cool experience. Great training program and resources.

Cons

I hate that there is so much to say here, but these are my honest observations. MDA has all the same issues that any other large national company has; upper management seems disconnected with the people on the ground level doing the grunt work. This is not terribly concerning, because there are so many other companies that are significantly worse by comparison. The pay is about 75% what the for profit sector would pay for the same position, so it is not entirely ideal if it is your only income. The fundraising position in particular is extremely difficult and demanding, which leads to high turnover. It's just not for everyone, and it is very hard to find someone who is willing to do it for a long period of time;people get burnt out quickly. Constantly training new people is annoying and erodes efficiency. There have been quite a few drastic changes in the last few years, and they show no signs of stopping. This can be difficult for any organization; also contributes to the high turn over. If you are an administrative assistant, there is essentially zero upward mobility; so if you want to move up or make more money, there is an expiration date to how long you will be here. Fundraisers can move up and so on, but it is slightly more difficult than in the fpr profit sector. Raises are few and far between, especially for staff that is not generating income. Although we do have great training available, management sometimes fails to step in and help before a failure occurs, and then places blame without digging deep to find out why the failure happened in the first place. Overall, all of these things are mildly irritating, but none of it bothers me all that much. Knowing what I know now, I still enjoy working here and will only leave for a better paying job.

Advice to Management

I know an exit interview is conducted with each employee that resigns, so I know that you already know what the major concerns are. I would urge you to take these concerns seriously, as doing so may just help with the high turnover. Upper management: If you notice that a particular program/person is not doing as well as you wish it was/ has done in the past, you should take a personal interest in investigating why that is instead of sending a million emails. None of you seem too keen on getting in the trenches with the field staff, but maybe if you did, you could figure out a solution instead of placing blame in emails.

Muscular Dystrophy Association Response

Jan 5, 2017 – HR Director

Thank you for your review. We do read these, and take them very seriously. I do think you raised some valid concerns and do appreciate the feedback. It's true that we face struggles as a large... More

"Lost sight of the mission to help people"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

I worked at Muscular Dystrophy Association full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Working with the families is incredible and yet humbling. On paper, you work a 35 hour work week, but the reality is that it's usually far more.

Cons

Low pay. Families are denied simple things because of so much red tape. No raises. Too many bosses who know very little about the region they oversee remotely.

Advice to Management

Let the people you hired for their talents do the job they were hired to do.

5. "Fundraising Coordinator"

Former Employee - Fundraising Coordinator
    Former Employee - Fundraising Coordinator

I worked at Muscular Dystrophy Association full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Helping out clients in your community. Community service. Planning exciting events. Learning more about the medical field.

Cons

I can't think of any cons. This was truly a wonderful position. I was just offered a position that paid more.

Advice to Management

I know that since I have left a lot has changed within the company. I'm not sure I can give any advice. I just hope the changes were effective and the organization is still doing well.

6. "Wonderful place to work"

Current Employee - Executive Director in Saint Petersburg, FL
    Current Employee - Executive Director in Saint Petersburg, FL

Pros

Mission focused
    Strong platform of programs that is growing & changing with the times
    Plenty of opportunities for career development
    Engagement with population served
    Very positive atmosphere

Cons

Hard work is expected & required to be successful here, it's not an easy business but it's completely rewarding & worth it.

"Great mission..."

Former Employee - Fundraiser in Taylorsville, UT
    Former Employee - Fundraiser in Taylorsville, UT

I worked at Muscular Dystrophy Association full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

They offer 1/2 days on Fridays during the summer and completely close everything between Christmas and New Year.
    Fun fundraising events that all staff get to attend.
    Lots of free t-shirts. There's a shirt for every event.
    You get to know some of the best people working with MDA families and you get to spend a week at summer camp.
    79% of money raised goes towards the mission.
    It's a great place to work for a short time.

Cons

So much employee turnover due in part to poor work/life balance.
    The national office controls everything and micromanages events from 1 central location without taking into consideration local markets. And local offices can't hold any event without approval from them.
    National office sets unreasonable fundraising goals for offices without giving them the tools to reach those goals. They expect you to pay for travel expenses out of your own pocket and then wait 4-5 weeks to be reimbursed which is sometimes several hundred dollars.

Advice to Management

Allow local offices more autonomy so they can plan events. Also, give each office a charge card so they're not always waiting for checks or having to pay expenses on private cards. Also, come up with a better standard for giving raises. There's no incentive to stay with the company long term.

"Executive Director"

Former Employee - Executive Director
    Former Employee - Executive Director

I worked at Muscular Dystrophy Association full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

MDA is diligent about how they spend money--you know in no uncertain terms, where donations go. There are a variety of programs and a clear pathway to success. There's a great support system and they really exhaust all efforts before parting ways with an unsuccessful employee.

Cons

There have been several structural changes, which presented many challenges. I believe MDA is working towards being the best organization it can be, but growing pains are just that. There was wide variance in compensation even within offices, with no rhyme or reason. I know that this is something they were working on when I left, so hopefully, they've fixed that issue.

"Horrible"

I worked at Muscular Dystrophy Association full-time

Pros

Getting to know families in the community and seeing their happy faces at summer camp or other events in the year.

Cons

Everything else. Management was horrible locally and nationally. When I had a problem locally with a regional director and how I was being treated differently than all of the others on my team, I reached out to HR and basically I was pushed off and pushed out.

Advice to Management

The reason you have so much turnover is because you do not care about your employees at the local level. When moving up in management, you should remember that those who you manage are the ones that get the bottom line numbers/donations to roll in the door to help find a cure. It is not about being buddies with everyone and creating clicks...that was high school, this is the adult world.

"Recruitment Coodinator"

Former Employee - Volunteer Recruitment Coordinator in Casper, WY
    Former Employee - Volunteer Recruitment Coordinator in Casper, WY

I worked at Muscular Dystrophy Association full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The pay was good for what I did-calling people on outbound calls trying to recruit volunteers to donate money for researching this disease to hopefully finding a cure. Working to help a cause is worth it. The pay is great and benefits after you are hired permanent. It was a career experience. A positive one.

Cons

Worked in tiny cubicles, Boring job no room for growth.

Advice to Management

I don't think I would've wanted to advance to management for the simple fact its too boring a job for me