Museum Of Contemporary Art Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated July 30, 2017

2.0
Jeffrey Deitch

Sort: PopularRatingDate

"Not all it's cracked up to be"

I have been working at Museum Of Contemporary Art part-time

Pros

- Supervisors really take the time to teach you about the art, and give you readings about artists on display.
    - There's a really great sense of community with the Gallery Attendants. All my coworkers are the nicest and smartest people I know. A really great group of people, I think the quickest I've ever made friends at a job.

Cons

- Pay is exorbitant for the work you do for MOCA. Honestly, it should be a crime to pay so little per hour for how hard you work.
    - Off of that, you're on your feet the entire day in this position. The hours aren't so bad except if this is your only job, and you're working 30+ hours, all other hours you spend off the job you'll be recuperating from the physical toll of walking but mostly standing for days literally. This will absolutely take up so much of your personal time.
    - Just the constant surveillance from supervisors is draining. This is somewhat of a given, but you're on security cameras all day. You can get in trouble for not standing in the right place, for leaning on the wall, for wearing the wrong color pants.
    - This is really a glorified security guard position.

Advice to Management

Pay everyone $15.00 per hour.

"Great to work on art and culture projects, no room for advancement and elitism culture rampant"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA

Pros

Access to some of the best contemporary art collections
    Ability to attend exhibition openings
    Great networking with peers passionate about art
    Great health benefits compared to what I've received

Cons

Poor senior management
    Elitism culture
    No room for growth

Advice to Management

Nurture your younger employees because they are the ones who want to learn and are excited about coming into work. Senior management feels corrupt and privileged.