Museum of the City of New York Reviews | Glassdoor

2.2
Susan Henshaw Jones

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "Not too shabby"

Pros

My co-workers were nice, pay was okay.

Cons

Scheduling time off was a bit of a hassle.

"Reconsider"

Former Employee - Visitor Services Associate in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Visitor Services Associate in New York, NY

I worked at Museum of the City of New York part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Eating lunch in the Conservatory Garden, fellow co-workers, HR person is very nice

Cons

Bad management. exploiting part time workers-stretching them thin and expecting them to work overtime just to make ends meet (without benefits) harsh disrespectful treatment, lack of guidance and employees expected to perform miracles, no sick days or PTO, no benefits and unfair wage.

Advice to Management

Treat employees with respect and re-evaluate management tactics when there is a high turnover, put money where it matters most, pay workers a fair wage and offer benefits/incentives to stay.

"Incompetent COO"

I worked at Museum of the City of New York full-time

Pros

Great co-workers on lower levels.
    Decent Pay for a non-profit.
    Great Public Programs.
    Great building.
    Tranquil location with Central Park across the street.
    Accessible by subway or bus.
    Great cafe.
    Hit or miss with exhibits, mostly good though.

Cons

Bad work environment.
    No support.
    Executive staff has no trust in their teams.
    Budgets are a joke, just made up numbers to please board. Do some actual analytics and come up with some sound numbers across all departments.
    Always changing policies and procedures. You would figure after being around so long you can figure things out but nope!
    Trying to compare themselves to other museums. Stop trying to be like another museum and be the unique museum you are.
    COO doesn't have a clue! If you don't have experience in that specific department, you shouldn't be overseeing it. "If you can't cook, stay out of the kitchen"! When you say in person you don't have a clue on what to do, you probably shouldn't be telling others what to do. For someone who just has event background experience and some facilities, amazing that he was given such an important position.
    Always bringing in outside consultants for different departments. Trust the team you have, most are very good at what they do.
    New Director seems to understand how things should run but trusts executive staff too much.

To be honest, not worth investing your time in this institution. You will just be disappointed. Lots of stress, lots of mistrust, lots of backstabbing, lies and headaches.

Advice to Management

Trust your team!
    Remove COO from role and get someone who actually has experience.
    Reward your teams more.

Treat everyone with respect. Your turnover would shrink considerably.

"Horrible atmosphere"

I worked at Museum of the City of New York part-time

Pros

None that I can think of. It's a beautiful building?

Cons

Dysfunctional work environment. Rude, intimidating boss. My colleagues with as much experience as me (or less) were paid more (I brought it to my supervisor's attention to no avail).

It felt awful to work at MCNY. I left in 2015 and I have no desire to visit or look at that museum again.

Advice to Management

Respect your workers.

"mixed feelings"

I worked at Museum of the City of New York full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

The work was usually satisfying, with tangible results. there were opportunities to grow into new responsibilities, although they usually occurred when someone left and the position was integrated into another position instead of hiring a replacement.

Cons

Communications within and between departments was not always clear, unreasonable amount of overtime work was expected and not compensated. Communication was almost entirely top down, with little opportunity for feedback unless you were willing to risk your position. Professional development was not encouraged nor was there a consistent ability to leave at a reasonable hour to attend evening classes. The staff was bare bones with individuals often wearing several hats without training. Some departments had consistently high turnover.

Advice to Management

work on two way communications, address why so many good staff leave after a year or two, and consider that there may be a limit to how many jobs one person can take on and still perform well.

"Museum of the City of New York (MCNY) - Run!"

Current Employee - MCNY Management in New York, NY
    Current Employee - MCNY Management in New York, NY

I have been working at Museum of the City of New York full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I am a mid-level employee at MCNY and though I don't work closely with them, there are some kind and decent people in lower level positions.

Cons

MCNY is rife with incompetent leadership at the top. Staff in higher positions don't have the experience or credentials to perform well, nor are they offered professional development to improve. 21st century management basics and best practices are non-existent, e.g., thoughtful and careful hiring, effective on-boarding, training, recruiting, team-building and morale-boosting. All of this has created a disastrous situation for this organization and needless suffering. Abusers and screamers are rewarded with big salaries that they don't deserve.

People are fired at will and without good reason, while others choose to go quickly (& wisely) on their own. People without depth, decency or expertise are sadly, at the helm of this partially tax-funded institution. Unethical practices occur on a regular basis, e.g., managers reveal workers' confidential medical information within group meetings and within mass emails.

The curatorial bench is also incredibly weak. I wholeheartedly agree with the prior posting on this site that stated that MCNY somehow manages to make a vibrant and exciting city look dull. I couldn't have said it better. The building is more interesting than the exhibitions, but not by much. Would not recommend working at this organization - horrible. Like many, I will get out as fast as possible.

Advice to Management

My advice if for city government to investigate the Museum of the City of New York

"Negative Experience"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I worked at Museum of the City of New York part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I enjoyed the public events, the exhibitions, the book shop. The museum is connected to a part of nyc society, so it's possible to make some connections and meet interesting people. The building underwent a very nice and clean renovation recently.

Cons

The organization is a mess. Pay is low and work was draining. Some of my coworkers were so rude that it became unbearable to work there. It's on the top end of 5th Avenue so it's on the border with Harlem and you have to walk through some rough parts of the area if you take the subway.

Advice to Management

Good luck!

"Beautiful Renovated Museum, Dinosaur Executives, Stone Age Technology"

Former Employee - Director in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Director in New York, NY

I worked at Museum of the City of New York full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Health Benefits, Beautiful Physical Space and Exhibitions

Cons

-A work environment that lacks an atmosphere of healthy conflict.
    -Condescending executives that fear change, technology, and new blood; they will preserve their jobs at any cost
    -top down management style, run like a pre-union industrial revolution steel mill

Advice to Management

-create an environment for healthy conflict and inter-departmental and intra-departmental communication; organization is silo'd and not modern
    -take language from "I' to "We" throughout the organization.
    -embrace change and technology--everybody can keep their jobs and visitors will benefit.
    -loosen up a little and allow for creative thinking which lead to progressive solutions.
    -focus on internal and external customer service; the place is currently a rude funeral parlor.
    -bring the business into this decade and millenium

"Tired of waiting..."

Former Employee - Part-Time Employee
    Former Employee - Part-Time Employee

I worked at Museum of the City of New York part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great people, good moral, motive behind work is positive

Cons

Slow, low-budget, few room to grow

Advice to Management

More cross-pollination between job fields for a better outcome and clearer understanding.

10. "Intern"

Pros

Great people, great team. People are generous with their time and knowledge.

Cons

People come and leave a lot.