KEY NOT FOUND: coverImgAlt

Teachers

1y

a

West Virginia Elementary School Teacher

Who is taking the COVID-19 Shot? Do you think all teachers should?

2,892

960 Comments

Join the conversation on
  1. 5.0
    Former Employee, more than 1 year

A great place to work!

May 18, 2022 - Guitar Instructor in Kansas City, KS
    Business Outlook

Pros

The admin team is A++ and have an immense amount of resources and overall organization to keep lessons, teachers, and students excited and involved in the Music House community.

Cons

Teaching music to a vast array of student ages and ability levels can get complicated no matter where you teach music and Music House is no different in this case. The constant evolving is a Pro in my book but I can see where that could be jarring if typical stagnant music lessons is the environment you are coming from.

2. 5.0

Community Assistant

Mar 24, 2022 - Community Assistant
    Business Outlook

Pros

Fun and great learning environment, understanding team

Cons

hours, small admin team, not much room for advancement

3. 5.0
    Current Employee, less than 1 year

Solid Expectations

Sep 17, 2021 - Voice Instructor
    Business Outlook

Pros

Great community, they've filled out my schedule with talented and curious students. I also like the opportunities to get involved with the community, whether they be for students or teachers. The teachers are amazingly skilled musicians and the administrative staff is extremely organized and efficient. They honor your time here.

Cons

Since there are always new students, programs, and events, some of it can get overwhelming with how many things you need to balance in a part time job.

4. 5.0
    Former Employee

A great place to teach

Jul 29, 2021 - Guitar Teacher in Overland Park, KS
    Business Outlook

Pros

Well thought out business model, regularly attracts new students, all scheduling and communication taken care of by admin staff, strong leadership vision, get to work with students in different formats (band setting, group classes, private lessons), lots of supplementary material to help students. There are always some very promising students in the band program.

Cons

Sound treatment between certain rooms is not ideal. The suburban communities the Music House is located in have very little culture, so many students are starting from scratch. The curriculum can be a good structure for the students but can also make things a little rigid in private lessons. Teachers have to sign a no compete agreement,

5. 4.0

Positive atmosphere

Sep 11, 2021 - Teacher
    Business Outlook

Pros

Admin staff does a good job of filling schedules and handling all scheduling, recruiting, etc. Opportunities to work with students beyond private lessons (group classes, summer camps, student performances) Facilities are clean, fun and positive work environment. Person-to-person relationships between admin staff and teachers are positive. Company policies and internal systems, while sometimes feeling overbearing, seem to improve student retention. Company policies are structured in a way that results in an extremely consistent weekly schedule. No teaching on weekends, leaving them open for gigs/other work. The "no rescheduling lessons" policy typically results in enough paid time throughout the week to take care of any emails or other administrative work. Admin team does a good job of maintaining a positive company culture. I can genuinely say that I like going in to work each day.

Cons

Private instructor pay is lower than the going rate, especially when you consider the amount the student/parent pays per month. It can be extremely frustrating as an instructor to be doing a large portion of the work week-to-week to help the student develop and not see an equal portion of the amount paid to the school each month. Part of the justification can come in the form of admin staff that are helpful, nice facilities in parts of town that would be financially out of reach for a lot of independent instructors, fully equipped lesson studios, and set curriculum for most instruments that can reduce the amount of outside prep work needed for each student. This isn't a typical lessons teaching gig, where the instructor sets the rate, schedule, and is in charge of the curriculum. Depending on how you prefer to operate, the systems in place either make sense and are worth the lower pay or will drive you insane. In my experience, making full use of the admin team as a support system for me as a teacher has been worth the lower pay, as I do not have to take my work home with me and I can truly focus only on teaching. Bi-weekly staff meetings that contain information that could be in an email can feel tedious.

6. 5.0
    Current Employee, less than 1 year

An amazing and Supportive place to work!

Jan 19, 2021 - Community Assistant in Kansas City, KS
    Business Outlook

Pros

From my first day working at Music House, I felt supported and appreciated my the administrative team as well as the teachers. Music House is a place where ideas are heard and encouraged and you will always be treated with kindness and respect. On top of that, you get to work for a really meaningful cause, music!

Cons

In my time at Music House, I haven't found a part of the job I don't enjoy.

7. 5.0
    Former Employee, more than 5 years

A great place to grow as a mentor and professional

Dec 9, 2020 - Teacher in Overland Park, KS
    Business Outlook

Pros

Very invested management always looking to provide more students and opportunities for their employees. I got connected to numerous fruitful gigs through my work at Music House.

Cons

With managerial investment comes oversight. In comparison to other lesson spaces it may feel like they are looking over your shoulder a bit. In my experience it was well intentioned and centered around the success of the students and staff.

8. 5.0

A True Community Where The Core Values are Never Lost

Oct 12, 2020 - Community Assistant
    Business Outlook

Pros

Music House is a true community that is always improving and mentoring those working in the building and coming for lessons. When you're here you're a part of a team that is making a change, you really feel like every task you do makes a difference and can see it play out all the way to the top. They're accepting and reliable, Music House recognizes that we are all human.

Cons

Evening/Late hours Nothing outside of that!

9. 5.0
    Current Employee, more than 5 years

It's hard to imagine working anywhere else

Feb 27, 2020 - Anonymous Employee
    Business Outlook

Pros

I've been working at Music House for over 7 years. I love it! It's hard to imagine working anywhere else. There are so many positive things to say about this place so I'll focus on a couple of things I really appreciate. 1) The culture. Music House is such a vibrant and positive work environment. I feel constantly stimulated by the enthusiastic drive of the people I work with. 2) The opportunities. I have had the chance to hold down several roles since I began here. I started part time and soon after was able to take on roles with more responsibilities. 3) It feels good. It's a place where you feel constant gratification for the hard work that is done everyday. Again, it's hard to imagine being anywhere else.

Cons

The positives far outweigh any negatives

10. 5.0
    Former Employee, less than 1 year

Best Job Ever

May 7, 2020 - Teacher in Overland Park, KS
    Business Outlook

Pros

Super flexible schedule, awesome management, growth opportunities, if you love teaching and helping others grow, this is the place for you. You will have a team of support and resources to help you teach at your highest potential. The administrative staff only wants their teachers to feel supported and able to lead excellent classes. This is a place where music is about fun and exploration rather than perfection or limitation. Do not pass this opportunity! You will meet a lot of amazing people!

Cons

I only wish there were more full-time opportunities. I did not want to leave!

Viewing 1 - 10 of 16 Reviews