Music & Arts Center Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

3.1
Kenny O'Brien

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Great people good environment close to work enjoy the position (in 10 reviews)

• Full-time employees are very friendly and always willing to help (in 8 reviews)

Cons
  • Focus on sales goals a little unrealistic (in 19 reviews)

• While still claiming to have a family atmosphere upper management and corporate don't show it (in 17 reviews)

1. "Nice"

I worked at Music & Arts Center part-time

Pros

This job was very great

Cons

No real cons to speak of

"Endless Frustration"

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Lewisville, TX
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Lewisville, TX

I worked at Music & Arts Center part-time (More than a year)

Pros

You get to learn about the different levels of instruments (Student to Pro lvl), Manufacturer details that can be interesting. Making friends with lesson teachers is always rewarding and makes the job fun. Events are great for networking and great ways to make commission which is always a plus

Cons

Training is blatantly ineffective. Instead of being taught how to work the register or the unstable hard to navigate system, you get taught how to talk to customers. There's a script for EVERYTHING that you're expected to follow to a tee. Most scripts are outdated and involve you going into a 3 paragraph infomercial about the company (as if someone would actually listen to all that). You're expected to recite it on cue at any given time or else you'll be in trouble.
    One of the greatest problems is the companys reluctance to address their new horrifyingly unstable system that runs everything. It's been over a year, and no one has a firm grip on it yet. It's incredibly hard to navigate let alone understand and the reference guide isn't any help. The biggest problem it has is it will overbill someone for hundreds of dollars at a time resulting in seemingly endless email chains. What's worse is that as an employee, you're NOT allowed to complain about it despite being yelled at by rightfully angry customers calling the store non stop. This caused a lot of employees to dread coming to work because it was highly likely they would get ripped up over the phone by customers.
    Communication above the store level is also a big problem since everything has to be done via email. Instrument didn't show up to the school? Email the Ed rep and HOPE they read it within a week. Need a refund ? Email Billing and they may feel like fixing it. But they won't actually call the customer to hash it out with them; resulting in the store being the go between the two. The more parties involved, the worse it gets, often resulting in a measuring contest between them. Of course, they won't actually look for a solution. The only real way to solve most issues is to break the rules at the store level.
    They'll advertise commission to you as a regular thing, but don't bet on it. You'll probably get commission from events but that's it.
    Corporate seems quite oblivious to any problems whatsoever . Every week, they send out emails about new stores and promotions as if the business isn't going up in flames.
    Definitely not worth staying with due to extreme micromanagement from my manager who would tell me how to write emails or just try write them for me.

Advice to Management

Ask employees how to fix things and take them seriously. Hold Ed Reps responsible for timely response to email. Give proper training on DAX and how it works. Loosen the reigns on scripts.

"ok staff, inept management"

Former Employee - Distribution Center in Frederick, MD
    Former Employee - Distribution Center in Frederick, MD

I worked at Music & Arts Center full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

great discounts at the retail stores

Cons

co-workers, management, retail staff, sales staff; company culture of kicking the can until something is a crisis

Advice to Management

find new jobs

"Manager"

I worked at Music & Arts Center full-time

Pros

Great family environment and great place to develop network, and friends.

Cons

Very high turnover due to commitment to job and expectations. Most employees do not know what they are getting into why they apply for this job.

Advice to Management

Better sales training. Most of the training is based on ethics, and procedures. An additional week should be extended for sales training on communication. Procedures and how to work a computer will come, but sales training and comfortability is the key to success at this job.

"Lots of strengths, but some glaring weaknesses"

I worked at Music & Arts Center full-time

Pros

They reward hard work well. If you really try to learn and improve every day there, you'll be well compensated. They promote from within and upper management do care about their people and their clients. It's a lot of fun to work with the teachers, get to know everyone, and even sometimes form musical groups with your co-workers.

Cons

They are weak with technology in general, and sluggish with developing streamlined processes. It often felt like different departments were not communicating, leaving you in the middle, confused. There have been many issues stemming from the change in software in 2016, which wasn't ready to be launched when it was. They'll be fixing it for years to come. Inventory/merchandising was always a mess to figure out, and you can and will lose sales to bad management of merchandise. That can make the difference between making or missing your sales goal (and the commission for it). In general I always struggled to communicate with various corporate departments and ended up just finding solutions on my own.

Advice to Management

They know they need to fix the software problems and they've been working on it, so I won't go in depth about that. My biggest issue was finding my direct superior nearly impossible to get a hold of, because he was far too busy. I never felt I had the support I needed. Communication between stores and corporate is an issue, and getting items into the store is far too difficult. We lose customers to competitors because of it.

"On a store level great, on a corporate level be prepared to be thrown under the bus"

Current Employee - Senior Sales Associate
    Current Employee - Senior Sales Associate

I have been working at Music & Arts Center part-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

The positive impact you can have on customers through the lesson program. Also coworkers and manager based on location are good.

Cons

While still claiming to have a family atmosphere upper management and corporate don't show it. They are more concerned with overall pictures however by ignoring day to day things they leave their employees out to dry and take the brunt of customer concerns offers with out ways to help. You can contact corporate but little help comes from it. I have multiple times contacted or directed a problem that is an easy fix to them and it gets left unattended. There is also little accountability for problems not customer related, if a customer issue happens your out even if you have been working your tail off for the company and have a good reputation built over years. However you can get away with just not doing your job because employee complaints will always go unanswered. The customer is always right, no argument there, but a organization you work hard for could do a little more to stand up for its employees and work with them.

Advice to Management

Listen to the people in the stores! Customers have concerns too and your too busy trying to expand instead of listening to your base and fixing current issues. Improve the infrastructure, training, customer service all before continuing on the single minded goal of expand expand expand. We are profitable now, so of course gc wants us to expand but with the lack of focus on things that had been critically important in the past we will loose customer support quickly. If you really want a family friendly store think about the best interest of your "family". ...customers, employees and not just the end goal of dominating the competition now!

7. "Ok"

I worked at Music & Arts Center part-time

Pros

Got me out of the house and working

Cons

Boring mindless work, no real incentive to move up

"Sales rep gig here is OK..."

I have been working at Music & Arts Center full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I share many of the same pros as other reviewers. I really think my manager does an excellent job, to the best of their abilities. The company values align with my own, it's just the execution that fails.

Cons

The software and billing system is utterly broken leading to myself apologizing to customers daily, even though I joined the team 6mos after the big transition to this platform. Management tells us to hang in there but the issues keep happening so I'm not sure how long I want to hang in there. Commissions are many percentage points lower when compared to similar positions at competitors. The work/life balance is pretty horrible sometimes and is expected to be this way.

Advice to Management

I'm at the bottom of the totem pole. So I understand I will be stuck in the mud sometimes. However I did not imagine this to be the case all the time! I work my butt off and have made the company quite a bit of money. However the persistent problems are ruining my credibility.

9. "Full-Time Position"

I worked at Music & Arts Center full-time

Pros

Great work environment, coworkers and business. Flexibility, excellent starting salary (depending on location) and commission potential is legit and significant.

Cons

Supervisors above store manager level are useless. Unless you miss 90% of your goals, they ignore you. Nothing gets done unless you make a stink and they do not appreciate "lower-level" employees (i.e. part/full time staff). They also don't appreciate ed-reps and the business they provide for the stores. If you don't go along with everything they say, you're "not a team player". There is no relationship between DM's and store staff, aside from store manager.

Advice to Management

Store managers; keep it up!

10. "Sales Associate"

I have been working at Music & Arts Center full-time

Pros

Great group of co-worker that make the job very enjoyable!

Cons

Minimal pay with minimal chances for raises
    Hours