Musician's Friend Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

2.8
Greg Trojan

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Lots of great people to work with and there's a jam room to play instruments on during breaks (in 8 reviews)

• This is a tough one, besides the employee discount, I can't think of any reasons to work for this company (in 8 reviews)

Cons
  • They combined sales and customer service into one department, which makes it hard to meet goals (in 4 reviews)

• Lowest wage compared to other call center wages in Utah (in 3 reviews)

1. "Great place to start"

I have been working at Musician's Friend full-time

Pros

Learn office experience, learn customer service, expand you business mindset. Also if you're a musician it's pretty sweet to get some free gear!

Cons

Occasionally there are some strict policies to adhere to. Once you get to supervisor level there's not much room to move up. Annual increases are fairly small

Advice to Management

Make sure to commend your tenured workers in the form of either pay or opportunity for advancement. Other than that nothing else

"Great people, but multiple challenges to overcome"

Former Employee - Merchandise Analyst in Westlake Village, Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Merchandise Analyst in Westlake Village, Los Angeles, CA

I worked at Musician's Friend full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great people and some very interesting work, but the structural changes in the marketplace for musical instruments and changing tastes, coupled with financial engineering issues and multiple reorganizations made for a challenging environment.

Cons

New VC ownership was imprinting their mark on the company when I left and the structural changes in the MI marketplace made for a very challenging environment.
    The success of Sweetwater, the rise of Amazon and vendors adopting a direct to consumer selling model created battles to be fought on multiple fronts.
    Management was caught flat footed and internal inefficiencies that should have been addressed during the Great Recession left MF exposed to mutiple competitive threats.

Advice to Management

Face the fact that your core customer is in their late 50's and up and guitars aren't as popular unless you aggressively target the country & bluegrass markets.
    Move more into home recording sales service & training because contemporary music is mostly about vocals, not guitars any more..
    Sadly...
    Time to modify your business model and integrate MF & GC retail to move to an omni-channel business model.

3. "Good company"

Current Employee - Gear Head (Former Sales Representative ) in Indianapolis, IN
    Current Employee - Gear Head (Former Sales Representative ) in Indianapolis, IN

I have been working at Musician's Friend (Less than a year)

Pros

Management is always helpful and want to help you meet all your goals, pay is great

Cons

They combined sales and customer service into one department, which makes it hard to meet goals.

Advice to Management

Separate your departments or lower your goals.

"Employee Beware!!! Proceed with Caution!!!"

Former Employee - Team Leader in Draper, UT
    Former Employee - Team Leader in Draper, UT

I worked at Musician's Friend full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

"Share some of the best reasons to work at Musicians Friend"
    Hmmm...This is a tough one, besides the employee discount, I can't think of any reasons to work for this company.

Cons

This one is much easier! After working there for what seems like an eternity I'm finally free of the shackles of Musicians Friend! I couldn't be happier.

-Only 1 guaranteed day off with your other day being dependent on "Business Needs".

-Management is a joke. They are super friendly to your face but on the back end will do whatever it takes to build a case and get you terminated. Also, you have to sign an arbitration agreement so you have no leg to stand on if something happens. They can literally terminate you whenever they want and have zero repercussions.

-Management is not upfront...at all. They will go behind your back and build a case against you and because of that arbitration agreement that can just say "Bye, bye"

-Being the front line (CSR/TSR) is even worse! They no longer have different departments you'll just be an "order taker". Just a number in their system and easily replaced with some other wide eyed and bushy tailed high schooler.

-This company is going downhill quickly. I don't see them withstanding the new e-commerce business model when companies like Samash have actual knowledgeable sales people.

-Managers and Directors are not on the same page. Very high school atmosphere.

-Way to many options in UT to work at this place. Please don't waste your time here like I did. This job had potential but that hasn't been the case anymore. You're just part of a bigger business who's trying to make up for poor choices and a revolving door of CEO's.

Advice to Management

Run. Musicians Friend will eventually go out of business. Guitar Center is probably safe but Musicians Friend can't sustain. Get new Directors and Managers, stop being so shady. A transparent work environment is better for culture.

5. "Musician's Friend is alright"

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative
    Former Employee - Customer Service Representative

I worked at Musician's Friend full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great co-workers and management plus you can win some awesome stuff

Cons

Low pay and not a lot of room for movement

6. "Great place to work!"

Former Employee - Telephone Sales, Customer Service Representative in South Jordan, UT

I worked at Musician's Friend (More than a year)

Pros

Cool coworkers, you can play the instruments you sell, talk to musicians on the phone and in person .

Cons

The pay could be better.

7. "My Favorite Job"

I worked at Musician's Friend full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The hours, pay, benefits, and crew were awesome for a beginner warehouse.

Cons

Super strict and very physically demanding. It can be challenging, but if you rise to the challenge you will be noticed.

8. "Telephone Sales Representative level 3"

Former Employee - Telephone Sales Representative Level III in Indianapolis, IN
    Former Employee - Telephone Sales Representative Level III in Indianapolis, IN

I worked at Musician's Friend full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Free Products, and the occasional free food

Cons

They didn't care about their employees, shady business

Advice to Management

Care about your employees and treat them right

"CSR= the front man for getting pushed around..."

Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Indianapolis, IN
    Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Indianapolis, IN

Pros

- GEAR DISCOUNT. If you are a musician, this is definitely the biggest pro.
    - Easy going and relaxed atmosphere.
    - Easy dress code.
    - Some TLS are easy to work with.

Cons

- SCHEDULING. Getting time off is harder than it should be. Almost impossible to get off for anything even if you ask off 3+ months in advance, you still might not get the time off.
    - Difficult to move up quickly.
    - Not a great opportunity if your not a musician.
    - Work gets pretty menial after a while.
    - Management have no idea on whats going on.
    - Turn around for employees are a joke 38 people will go into training and 5 will come out.
    - Management will choose favorites and will those people will go somewhere.
    - Employees have no value.
    - most employees are fresh out of high school kids.
    - they will changes on the fly without any notification.
    - wright ups are there way of life, instead of a conversation..

Advice to Management

Treat your employees as you expect to be treated. In many ways management has a bulling issue on employees. Needs to be a big increase in wages. pay more attention to your employees treat them better, just maybe we will stay around.

"Customer service"

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Holladay, UT
    Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Holladay, UT

I worked at Musician's Friend (Less than a year)

Pros

Music instrument discounts. Easy hiring process. Entertainment in the break room. Practice rooms for playing instruments during breaks/lunches. Set schedule or so I was told(see comments below).

Cons

Management is rude, customers are almost always rude. Lowest wage compared to other call center wages in Utah.

Advice to Management

Treat employees equally. Don't change a person's schedule without telling or asking them first. During the hiring process, I was given a few schedule options and I chose one that fit my school schedule, but when I got out of training, I was given a schedule that I didn't choose and management told me that what was done is done and I can't have the one I chose because it was given to someone else.