MuteSix Reviews

Updated Feb 27, 2021

4.1
MuteSix Chief Executive Officer Steve Weiss
Steve Weiss
Pros
  • "Flexible hours, great new office, ability to run campaigns ideation through launch(in 5 reviews)

• "I love the company culture, being surrounded by talented individuals, and that upper management is hands on and right there with you(in 5 reviews)

• Cons
  • "Work-life Balance is definitely tough(in 7 reviews)

• "Some expected growing pains as we grow so quickly(in 5 reviews)

• More Pros and Cons
    Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.
    1. 5.0
      Former Employee, less than 1 year

Great company, great learning experience

Feb 9, 2021 - Anonymous Employee
      Business Outlook

Pros

MuteSix is a great place to develop your skills in an agency setting. The people are friendly and generally very helpful. There's a lot of autonomy and opportunity to grow within the company if that's your goal. Leadership is great too, easy people to talk to.

Cons

Definitely a fast-paced environment, workloads and timelines can be demanding

2. 5.0
      Former Employee, less than 1 year

Loved working at this company

Feb 8, 2021 - Marketing Communications Manager in Los Angeles, CA
      Business Outlook

Pros

I really valued my time at MuteSix. The team is so smart, talented, and hardworking. The company is also led by a CEO who is empathetic, approachable, and really cares about his employees. It makes a difference when leadership is down-to-earth!

Cons

No significant cons to report.

3. 5.0

Former Employee: I worked at MuteSix full-time for more than a year

Feb 7, 2021 - Annoyomous Employee
      Business Outlook

Pros

One of the things that makes this agency so special has to be its incredible team of management. Being a woman in the industry presents itself with some unique challenges, but MuteSix works to break down those boundaries. I've had the opportunity of working closely MuteSix's CEO, Steve Weiss, who genuinely believes in the success of the people he hires and provides them with the resources needed to succeed. I have had many bosses and Steve has to be one of the most down-to-earth, caring, and passionate CEOs I've come across.

Cons

You need to be self-motivated and acquit for the agency lifestyle.

4. 5.0

Best place to work!

Jan 14, 2021 - Campaign Manager in Los Angeles, CA
      Business Outlook

Pros

learned so much in a few months

Cons

work life balance can be rough

5. 2.0

Unorganized + deceptive - stay away

Feb 27, 2021 - Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA
      Business Outlook

Pros

The office location was great pre-covid. You definitely learn a lot + meet a lot of interesting people/clients. I also appreciated the diversity and inclusion initiatives rolled out within the past year (this is the work of the amazing PEOPLE on the D+I team, not the c-suite or upper execs of mutesix as a company).

Cons

Upper management for most departments has no clue how to lead teams. L5s ("senior" leads) do nothing but take unimportant meetings all day while their L1s - L4s work 15 hour days to please clients who shouldn't be clients...all so the L5s can make over 6 figures in commission off the backs of their underpaid juniors. Everyone here has an air of superiority that isn't deserved. There is no communication between multiple departments working on the same clients, only passive aggression + finger pointing when nothing gets done because nobody is communicating. Zero work life balance, which you NEED in general, but especially in a remote environment. Zero support when you express how burnt out you are - L5s will continue to make you onboard new clients so they can get the commission C-Suite is all white men + they've given pushback on various initiatives the diversity + inclusion team has tried to implement, saying it'd take away from mutesix's revenue + therefore would be a waste of time (money is everything to these people, forget ethics + actual humanity). MuteSix will take anybody as a client, even those who are morally questionable and sell unethical products. The business dev/sales team will do anything to sign a client + collect that commission check, including lying to them about expectations of success. Clients won't be properly vetted for the department they're signing on for, and then will take it out on the junior CMs running the account when they don't see results that shouldn't have been promised, but were. This company is seriously smoke + mirrors - CMs inflate numbers all the time when reporting to clients (who don't know better to check that the numbers are actually coming from reputable sources).

3 people found this review helpful
    6. 2.0
      Former Employee, more than 1 year

It's not ~not~ a pyramid scheme...

Jan 20, 2021 - Senior Paid Social Manager in Los Angeles, CA
      Business Outlook

Pros

Taught me a TON. You work fast, learn quick, and are pretty much self reliant from the day you step into the door. Not having any real training procedures and kind of absent managers make this sort of the way things are, maybe not intentionally. You meet some incredible people - most everyone that works here that isn't upper management are whip smart and insanely hard workers. They can pull in some great clients too, and making those relationships are incredibly valuable and fulfilling.

Cons

The systems of account diversity, commission, growth, progress, and team division is just ... not okay. I spent a long time at this company and saw a lot of strengths to the specific way that the "L" system and the pod structures work - made it a very sellable company, you know? Each individual team has a functional P&L. What it bred was a culture of absent management reaping the commission off of their junior levels' accounts - stacking up insane workloads, nonstop incoming accounts, for the monthly bonuses that came from work they absolutely had no part in. You don't make commission as a coordinator, "L1", or "L2," and it is entirely up to the whim of the senior manager whether you can advance to the "L3" phase - where you make commission of your accounts where you are doing the actual work. It has heavy recruit-or-die vibes, where you just work nonstop in the hopes that you can "level up" and advance to the next stop to finally make the kind of $$ your senior manager has been making off of you ... It's a faulty system and I hope to god they fix it. Any new hire, be warned that the process is broken and anyone internally who claims it isn't are the ones who are benefitting (aka doing minimal labor for maximum gain at the expense of their team's workload).

5 people found this review helpful

MuteSix Response

Thank you for the feedback, we value all insights aimed at improving our organization. Our managers care deeply about their teams, and spend countless hours investing in their teams growth; providing daily live-trainings, one-on-one mentorship, video training documents, shadowing, and much more. Managers are motivated and incentivized to promote their team members, as long as they meet the minimum skill requirements. We are sorry to hear you were not promoted at your desired speed and know that we are continually identifying ways to improve training and speed up promotions. As part of our commitment to transparency, every team member is provided a clear list of exactly what skills they need to master, and the estimated timeline, in order to move up to the next level. Our hope is to create an environment where all employees take ownership of their career trajectory and feel empowered to work with their managers to hit their promotion goals as quickly as possible. We appreciate the feedback, and we are sorry you did not have the positive experience that we strive to provide all employees.

7. 1.0

Don't Work Here

Feb 9, 2021 - Creative
      Business Outlook

Pros

NONE NONE NONE NONE NONE

Cons

They'll eat you alive and spit on you after

1 person found this review helpful
    8. 1.0
      Former Employee, more than 1 year

Warning, the people here stab you in the back. Your manager, coworkers and senior leadership

Jan 27, 2021 - Digital Marketing Manager
      Business Outlook

Pros

Really, what pros? This place is a dumpster fire

Cons

Welcome to the boys club, where you will not fit in. You’re screwed from day 1. Everyone here has an ego like the size of Trump. You will get the worst clients because nobody else wants them, it’s all based on seniority here. You will never make it here, TRUST ME! Your L4 and L5 will make you work for peanuts.

3 people found this review helpful

MuteSix Response

Thank you for the brief feedback. We are an equal opportunity employer, and do not factor gender, race, religion, or any non-work-related characteristics into hiring or promotion consideration. We have extensive leadership training and protocols to ensure fairness and transparency with all hires. As a matter of record, many, if not most, of our department heads are women, and there is zero tolerance for bias within the organization. Additionally, we provide complete salary transparency for all our roles, additionally we only promote from within, and follow our levels-documents career track, which every employee adheres to. Thank you again for your feedback, we wish you the best.

9. 5.0
      Current Employee, more than 1 year

AWESOME Place for Growth & Development

Oct 23, 2020 - Paid Search Campaign Manager in Los Angeles, CA
      Business Outlook

Pros

- Management that believes in you and is always willing to help - Everyone is approachable and also willing to help further your development - Promotions can happen fairly quickly if you really put in the work - No micromanaging. As long as you get the results, everything is all good

Cons

- Growing way too fast and feeling more and more like a cog in a machine

2 people found this review helpful
    10. 1.0

Terrible Culture, Toxic Environment

Jan 21, 2021 - Anonymous Employee
      Business Outlook

Pros

some genuine people and cool clients

Cons

This is hands down one of the worst places I've ever worked. The company is so focused on hiring new employees they forget about their existing employees slaving away and fail to make any sort of community or decent workplace culture. Upper management and seniors are on a constant power trip and are extremely toxic when it comes to communication. The leadership is toxic, which has just bled into how seniors act with more entry-level employees. They don't actually care about their clients, just about retention and capitalizing off of the work of their subordinates. Almost all of these people have no genuine motivation and are just focused on their best interests. Many seniors will take the backseat when it comes to new projects, but instead complain when it comes back to bite them rather than taking steps to create meaningful change. Many people at this company have flexible moral character when it comes to what their best interests should be for their CLIENT. Beyond just poor seniors/managers, most of the c-suite level employees are men, and you will be pushed back on a lot if you're a woman. To be extremely blunt, within the last 3 months at MuteSix, I've seriously considered putting in my resignation more than half a dozen times.

4 people found this review helpful

MuteSix Response

Thank you for your insights. We are disappointed that you have had a poor experience thus far and encourage you to communicate any and all concerns with either your manager or Human Resources (hr@mutesix.com), who can work with you to address these concerns. Our goal is to provide an uplifting environment for all employees, creating transparency and an open environment that allows all employees, new and old, to communicate their opinions and observations within the organization. We are in a continual state of improvement and self-reflection, and if there are ways we can improve, we are excited to learn about them. We hope to hear from you and wish you the best of luck in the future.

Viewing 1 - 10 of 69 English Reviews