Mutual of America Employee Reviews | Glassdoor

2.5
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Mutual of America Chairman, President and CEO Thomas J. Moran
Thomas J. Moran

Pros
  • Great Benefits and work/life balance favorable (in 14 reviews)

• The people are great to work with (in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • Very low pay for this field and especially for NYC (in 5 reviews)

• Old boys club; Not what you know, but who you know (in 2 reviews)

1. "Senior Accountant"

Former Employee - Senior Accountant in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Senior Accountant in New York, NY

I worked at Mutual of America full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Hours are great for work life balance. The benefits are really good for somebody with a family.

Cons

No room for growth in career.

2. "How do they make $$$"

Former Employee - Account Representative
    Former Employee - Account Representative

I worked at Mutual of America full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great corporate culture, emphasis on corporate responsibility towards community.

Cons

Nepotism, unqualified employees, sales/marketing representatives have very little knowledge about investing in general, don't even know simple investment terms and philosophies.

Advice to Management

You need to hire more qualified people and expand your product line.

3. "Solid Job, Nothing More...Yet."

I have been working at Mutual of America full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Mutual of America has excellent benefits - how many companies still provide a Pension?...Mutual of America does. There is a "sub-community" within the company that consists of some extraordinarily intelligent and driven people - this core team moves business initiatives forward. If you have the right management support, you can grow here, but it is a very challenging environment to "get ahead". If you are interviewing here, make sure you get a "good feeling" from the person that will become your supervisor - there are no cost of living raises at Mutual, so the only way to earn more is to have someone that supports you and your goals.

Cons

This company is simply "stuck". The Sr. Management team believes that upgrading our technology will help, but the reality is that we sell outdated, expensive variable annuities and depend on a super-aggressive, yet highly effective, sales team to drive business. Honestly, we must have the best sales team in the business to sell these plans. All Mutual Employees are restricted to using Mutual of America as a 401(k) provider, which offers high-fee funds wrapped in variable annuities. You can't even find the investor version of the funds on Morningstar, which is preposterous. If it weren't for the generous Pension they give us, I would have left the company years ago over how truly horrible the 401(k) plan is compared to Fidelity or Vanguard. Sr. Management needs to really look at what competitors are offering in terms of overall product portfolios. Everything is done by committee at Mutual. This makes decision making extraordinarily slow and inefficient. It is only through perseverance, determination, and exhaustion that the "sub-community" is able to get anything accomplished. I have enjoyed this challenge, but I will not lie - it gets tiring. Also, the business formal attire for non customer-facing positions fully demonstrates this company's lack of relevance in today's business world. The company is trying hard to grow - in some ways it is succeeding. However, to meet their lofty goals year after year, this company is going to need to change significantly, and I just hope that I am part of that change. This company needs to learn that it can rely on it's staff to grow, not just the top few leaders.

Advice to Management

Learn what your competitors are doing - not just from a sales perspective, but from an overall product offering point of view. Offer retail mutual funds that people can track outside of your own tools. Understand that your staff is an asset, not a liability - ideas for growth can come from anywhere, not just the top. Let people that have been succeeding despite this suffocating environment take more control - we know what's out there. We've worked at other companies - let us help you meet your goals. Overall, this is a great company with massive potential - it just needs to be "super-charged" with new ideas.

5. "Group Sales Position"

Former Employee - Group Account Representative in Denver, CO
    Former Employee - Group Account Representative in Denver, CO

I worked at Mutual of America full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Company car and benefits. Freedom to market in my territory how I saw fit. Coworkers.

Cons

Low Salary and difficulty obtaining the company goals that everyone, no matter how different your territory is, must strive to reach

Advice to Management

Change the business model/sales goals to fit each territory and remove the regions that aren't hitting goal...evolve the product to be more competitive with the marketplace.

"Just Run!"

Pros

Benefits, people who work there, and lunch.

Cons

There are too many to name.

7. "Get Ready For Stress"

Former Employee - WITHDRAWAL CLAIMS ASSOCIATE in Boca Raton, FL
    Former Employee - WITHDRAWAL CLAIMS ASSOCIATE in Boca Raton, FL

I worked at Mutual of America full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The office is nice and they give you great perks by discounting your gym membership and lunch meals

Cons

They literally just give you a book and expect you to know what to study for the series 6 exam and hope for the best.

Advice to Management

Have actual classes that help your candidates chances at passing the series 6 exam. It will show that you care and actually want your new hires to succeed. Rather than just throwing them to the wolves.

8. "Tax Accountant (Senior)"

Current Employee - Senior Tax Accountant in Cliffside Park, NJ
    Current Employee - Senior Tax Accountant in Cliffside Park, NJ

I have been working at Mutual of America full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

I was able to learn municipal tax, sales and use, commercial rent, property tax. SInce I know the taxes for withholding and unemployment.

Cons

When transfer to new department after my department was separate from Corporate Tax. It is very difficult to work with people do not getting alone.

Advice to Management

Learn to work as team and get alone, so that work get out correctly.

9. "Solid and Steady"

Former Employee - Participant Account Executive in Boca Raton, FL
    Former Employee - Participant Account Executive in Boca Raton, FL

I worked at Mutual of America full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Easy.
    Follow their system and youll be fine.

Cons

Individual performance is not fully recognized.
    Ideas not welcomed.
    Nepitism.

Advice to Management

Sometimes a simple "thank you" to employees for good work will go a long way.

10. "Overall Good Experience"

Former Employee - Intern - Hourly in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Intern - Hourly in New York, NY

I worked at Mutual of America (Less than a year)

Pros

Good work environment. Everyone was very friendly and helpful.

Cons

A little old fashioned in the way things are run, very conservative.

11. "account representitive"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

I worked at Mutual of America full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

They provide an excellent retirement plan, great health benefits, fair amount of vacation time and fair amount of sick days.

Cons

They are predominantly a male run company, they have a "boys club" mentality. They micro manage their employees, and leadership is weak.

Advice to Management

Provide more training for employees when first starting out. When employees are trained allow them to operate as a financial advisor would and allow them to work their book and have more freedom.