MyEyeDr. Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

3.4
Sue Downes

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • The company is growing fast and and it's exciting to see (in 13 reviews)

• There is room for growth within the company and professional development is encouraged (in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • However, upper management is aware of these concerns and has been working to resolve the inconsistency between departments (in 19 reviews)

• With growth does come some growing pains (in 7 reviews)

1. "I LOVE MY JOB"

Current Employee - Optometric Technician in Raleigh, NC
    Current Employee - Optometric Technician in Raleigh, NC

I have been working at MyEyeDr. full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Don't take those harshly negative reviews very seriously; honestly, most of them are probably from people who don't belong in this industry. AND YES, I WORK AT THE OFFICE LEVEL. (Some of the negative reviews are using "store level" instead. We do not call our doctor offices stores!!) This is an AMAZING company to work at. They actually care about their employees. I've never worked for another company that sends out so many gifts to its employees - including a gift card every year on my birthday. The company has grown so much over the past few years. There's A LOT of room to move up! I've worked 3 different positions already and enjoyed every one. The pay is great, the hours are perfect, the management is the best. We put patients first and we're a fierce competition to other large optometric companies!

Cons

In this industry, you have to accept that there NEEDS to be a sales part in it. Hardly any money is made off of the health services we provide, and there aren't a lot of services that an optometrist can provide. You have to accept that we need to have both worlds! That's the reason why so many private practices are selling this business to larger companies. If you want to work somewhere strictly medical, then you should probably stay away from the optometry industry. Glasses and contacts needs to be sold in order to keep the business going.

Advice to Management

There needs to be more and better training.

"Anonymous"

I have been working at MyEyeDr. full-time

Pros

Some of my favorite reasons for working at MED is my team. My team is what makes me get up everyday to keep pushing thru to make a difference each and everyday! The patients are tied for first place on this because they are the heart of what I feel and do when it comes to caring and trying to make there visit memorable. I love MyEyeDr!☺️

Cons

The people that this company chooses to lead multiple units makes me wonder if there decisions are sound for bigger things the companies demands from them. I've been with this company for multiple years now and love my job. I bring a different but sound way to manage a troubled store. I'm very misunderstood on how I do things and get mistreated by higher management because I take a different approach on how to run a store. Most managers do the same tired thing with the same approach and get the same tired and dry results. Where I look at it on different angles. Still going by policy but just taking a different approach. The company not including the owner because I feel she is amazing and fair. But others I feel are protected from any report against them. There are so many GMs and regular workers that are fed up and are quitting because of this Good Ole Boy system. To report anything just means waistline your time. I feel drained and kicked down and used and all I've done was give my all to everyone around me.

Advice to Management

My advice to management is if you can't change a bad situation yourselves and there's talent that can but does things different. Don't be milacious and say hurtful things to diminish a person character just because he or she found a better way to do things. It's sad that this goes on and these are our leads that we trust in to be uplifted and empowered to be the best we can be. Just remember we are human and what you say hurts. On that note God Bless guys.

"Eyewear consultant"

Current Employee - Eyewear Consultant in Raleigh, NC
    Current Employee - Eyewear Consultant in Raleigh, NC

I have been working at MyEyeDr. full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Paid holidays, Sunday’s off

Cons

Limited training, overworked, no set schedule, can be moved to any location, never put in office closest to home, used for inventory and worked all day in to the night, still required to come in the following day

4. "Good work environment"

I have been working at MyEyeDr. full-time

Pros

You work with great people!

Cons

I enjoyed my employment with MED.

"Not what I expected"

Current Employee - Optician
    Current Employee - Optician

I have been working at MyEyeDr. full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The pay is wonderful and the work life balance is pretty decent.

Cons

The expectations of the company's associates is unrealistic. Management will always use the elevation tactic to make you work harder and aim towards moving up in ranks but always fails to deliver on its promise.

"Poorly organized and executed."

Former Employee - Manager Trainee in Charlotte, NC
    Former Employee - Manager Trainee in Charlotte, NC

I worked at MyEyeDr. full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The pay was good. The associates I worked with were great. The idea behind the company is solid. The potential is there to do very well. They are flexible with your schedule for the most part. The pto is great. Laid back atmosphere at most offices.

Cons

Management is for the most part, clueless. In my district most managers had little to no Optical experience or even insurance billing experience. There is little to no training for new associates (that I saw) which leaves that duty to the employees who already have the burden of taking on more work than they are paid for. There is no upside to working hard with the company, you're only rewarded with more work and no pay increase. The employees who excel lend up leaving because they are blatantly unappreciated. If you want a job to fill your spare time it's a great place to work. If you want a career, look elsewhere. HR department is incapable of keeping confidential agreements with people who reach out, this resulting in no corrective action when obviously necessary.

Advice to Management

If you give someone more work, anything is better than nothing. Your motivational skills are severely lacking, especially when you're not willing to increase pay. Employees leave for better opportunities when you offer them nothing. When you walk into an office, don't make it a ignore the people who are working hard to make your goals, they notice.

"Franchise Limitations"

Former Employee - Optometric Technician in Hampton, VA
    Former Employee - Optometric Technician in Hampton, VA

I worked at MyEyeDr. full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Overall, colleagues and culture were great.

Cons

Because of corporate limitations, there was little room for advancement in position or pay.

"Chaotic Environment"

I worked at MyEyeDr. full-time

Pros

Good pay if you're willing to mislead customers to get high end features (AR coating, expensive frames, etc.). Even better pay if you can become a store manager and are willing to dedicate most of your time to the company.

Cons

The company will use you and abuse you for almost no reason at all. It breeds a uneasy, distrusting environment and most of the upper management are pretty ruthless. Profit is the company's only concern and it cares little for it's employees well-being.

Advice to Management

The culture of a company is created and instilled by the upper management. The execs of this company breed a culture of fear and immorality. They don't care that sales are driven by misleading customers, as long as the money keeps rolling in.

MyEyeDr. Response

Oct 3, 2017 – Director of Human Resources

We obviously did a terrible job of training you on the ‘why’ behind our business and we’ll accept responsibility for that. What you refer to as a “high end feature” (AR), we would recommend to anyone... More

"Patient Services Coordinator"

I worked at MyEyeDr. full-time

Pros

1. Your glasses or any eye issue can be taken care of

Cons

1. Long hours
    2. Lying patients
    3. Arrogant doctors
    4. No attachment to company or incentive to work harder
    5. Nepotism
    6. You may not get paid on time or full wages e.g. bonuses/comisison

Advice to Management

Invest the time and capital to ensure your employees are happy and enjoy doing the work they are paid to do at MyEyeDr. Happy employees=happy patients=more revenue. Treating employees poorly does not provide incentive to perform above the bare minimum.

10. "Decent company"

Former Employee - Optometrist in Silver Spring, MD
    Former Employee - Optometrist in Silver Spring, MD

I worked at MyEyeDr. full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Good bonuses and good hours.

Cons

Too much traveling if you're a floating doctor.