MyEyeDr. Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-time Part-time

2.3
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Sue Downes

Pros
  • Benefits are good (but cost you an arm and leg) but hey, at least you have a job, right (in 4 reviews)

• growing company with expanding opportunities (in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • It would be nice if upper management really listened to their associates (in 14 reviews)

• The District Managers and upper management do not support their offices/teams (in 7 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Great place for your career"

Current Employee - General Manager in Edgewater, MD
    Current Employee - General Manager in Edgewater, MD

I have been working at MyEyeDr. full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Fast growing organization with ample opportunity to expand your career. Outstanding support to increase your knowledge in your career no matter how much experience you have. It feels like a family because of how they are concerned for your well being and your sucess.

Cons

With the fast growth comes some growing pains with regards to infrastructure. The organization is trying to address those growing pains but in certain areas it will take some time to overcome..

Advice to Management

Keep the course and don't forget that your team members are extremely important to your continued growth and success.

2. "optometric tech"

Current Employee - Optometric Technician in Tallahassee, FL
    Current Employee - Optometric Technician in Tallahassee, FL

I have been working at MyEyeDr. full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Has a great atmosphere to work in

Cons

we have to work saturdays

"Optometrist"

Current Employee - Optometrist
    Current Employee - Optometrist

I have been working at MyEyeDr. full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

My Eye Dr. cares about the patients and their experience at the office.
    It's a very organized company which I like.

Cons

I have no complaints about My Eye Dr thus far. Hopefully it will remain that way. It's a good opportunity for an Optometrist to be able to just focus on patient care and not worry so much about the business end of it.

Advice to Management

None.

5. "Eyewear Consultant"

I have been working at MyEyeDr. full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

you get to talk to a lot of different people, fun atmosphere

Cons

pushes a sell sell sell mindset on employees versus meeting needs

"Good Luck!"

I worked at MyEyeDr. full-time

Pros

The management at my location was amazing. The office was always great! We were acquired by MED and a lot had changed, but overall I enjoyed working at my location.

Cons

Human Resources is a joke. When we were acquired we were told my trainers that all concerns to HR goes to a general email. I used it often and waited 2 weeks for responses. Now that I am no longer employed I am getting the run around. I have emailed HR and not received responses even though I have received a "read receipt". If you call into corporate there is a voicemail for the representative. If you call the scheduling line they refer you to email HR and that there is no phone number for HR.

A company that hides their HR department and does not allow employees and former employees confidential reporting lines and/or phone lines to call in is somewhere I would not want to work... and I'm glad I am no longer there.

Advice to Management

Allow your employees to have an easier access to Human Resources. Some reports to HR should not be going to a general email.

"Lack of respect for employees"

I worked at MyEyeDr. full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

room for growth, if they like you, they liked me at first, then i questioned some of their methods and it was game over

Cons

lack of communication for sr management, annual reviews are ALWAYS 6+ months overdue and getting the raise paid retroactively is a fight, 2 weeks off a year 1 week of vacation and 1 week of sick. employees are treated unfairly, when they try to leave they are promised many things that dont come through. please avoid working for them!

Advice to Management

listen to those that work for your company that may not have a voice in your sr meetings. they have good ideas and plans to make the company better

"Unclear vision, poor upper management"

I worked at MyEyeDr. full-time

Pros

There's a lot of opportunity to advance based on high turnover, many managers have leveraged the lack of staff to negotiate higher salaries by threatening to leave

Cons

It's hard to know where to begin, this company has expanded in size by several times in the last 3 years by aggressively purchasing independent stores and rebranding them. The company sells a fairly low end product, there's nothing wrong with that, but bought a lot of practices that sell higher end goods and the changes in inventory combined restaffing of stores with people who had previously never worked in optical has caused huge drops in business in most of the major markets. Atlanta is a disaster area for this company. You also have an aggressive and unethical regional manager who doesn't allow her mangers to hire their own people, Frequently swaps the locations of employees, engages in personal gossip and sharing of personal information about district employees with employees she is close to outside of the office. HR often does not respond to complaints made and broke employee confidentiality in several cases leading to retribution by the district manager. A store manager stole a pair of glasses, several employees reported this to a superior and when the regional manager found out she called the manager to request she drop off the glasses she had asked her to take home to drop off at another location. Those employees then had to face the manager who knew they had reported on her. It's a shame to see so many good people forced to leave their longtime positions based on something other than merit. I would not accept an offer here unless you have no alternative

Advice to Management

There needs to be a clear company vision and more decisive and accountable senior management. Corporate HR needs to investigate the problems going on with sales and management culture in the field

"Entry Level Health Care"

Current Employee - Patient Services Coordinator in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Patient Services Coordinator in Washington, DC

I have been working at MyEyeDr. full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Little to no experience required
    Room for advancement

Cons

Favoritism among management
    Unethical sales method

""Respect and No Favorites""

I worked at MyEyeDr. full-time

Pros

That they are in multiple states.

Cons

This company thinks that it is all about their people, but it is not. When new employees are training, they are trained by people who have not been trained to be a trainer. After the short training and the new employee is in their new office, they are not given any more time for training (They never have enough time to be fully trained before coming to their office.) The company will place employees in or transfer employees to what office they want without talking to the employee and letting them be a part of the decision of their placement. General Managers do not get to be a part of the hiring process to hire their own people for their team. The District Managers and upper management do not support their offices/teams. When the DMs are in the office, they will not help in the office when they are on their visit. They will let patients not be helped or the phone to keep ringing because they won’t learn how to do anything. I have been a retail manager for 20 years. I always say “how can you hold people accountable for something you can’t or won’t do yourself?” You can’t. And those people will never get the right respect. The DMs and upper management pick their favorite offices/GMs/ people and give them all the support they want and hire employees for their team. The GMs and their teams that are not favorites are not supported, GMs are not listened to, and the teams are always understaffed or under trained. The team and patients feel it. If you are a favorite, you can get away with anything. If you are not, then they will find a way to get rid of you even if they have to make things up or twist things around. This is an At Will company. So be careful. If you are not a favorite, you can be gone in a heartbeat and you lose your PTO. I had 130+ hours because my team was never supported and I could never take time off. I lost those 130+ hours. That is taking money away from somebody or even letting somebody off for maternity leave and then making them pay it back. PTO is a part of employee benefits. How are you going to say that you are all about your people when you can let them go At Will and not let them have the benefits they earned while working for you. That is not being for your people at all!!! Unexpectable!

Advice to Management

Make sure that DMs are held accountable and that things aren’t twisted to make it look the way a specific way a person wants it to look. Don’t play favorites with employees. You have DMs that bring in favorite employees into their offices and allow them to break company policies. DMs allow their favorite GMs to have their children in their offices on quite a regular basis for long periods of time or their favorite GMs to leave early/come in late on a regular basis. Favorite employees have personal things shipped to the office and then show it to everyone “on the clock”. There are so many more examples that I could give. Also, they do exit interviews, but they choose who they want to give the exit interview to. There are many people that have quit that never got an exit interview. This company does not want to hear their opportunities. You might suggest that you could take any grievances to HR, but this company does not support an “Open Door” environment for employees to make this possible. In the end, treat everyone the same, with respect and hold everyone to the same expectations no matter what position they hold.

"Doesn't care about employees"

Current Employee - Patient Services Coordinator
    Current Employee - Patient Services Coordinator

I have been working at MyEyeDr. full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Pay is alright, but not worth the cons.

Cons

Under-staffing is very typical, very unethical managers. Few promotional opportunities for minorities.

Advice to Management

People are trying too hard to be heard by management. Listen to your employees and hold your upper management to at least some sort of standard.

MyEyeDr. Response

Mar 15, 2017 – Recruiter

Thanks for your feedback. Your comments caught my eye since we are very proud of our diversity of staff and office management. We have a strong record of promotions into management for qualified ... More