MyFitnessPal Reviews | Glassdoor

Mike Lee

1. "Awesome Culture"

Current Employee - Senior Manager in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Manager in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at MyFitnessPal full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The people at MFP are the best folks I've ever worked with. Very smart folks who are passionate about helping people get healthy.

Cons

Since the UA acquisition things have slowed down in terms of how quickly things get done.

2. "Best Place I've ever worked at!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

Pros

Culture! MyFitnessPal has a great team culture and really values it's importance. People are very passionate about building awesome products and friendly to work with. There is a great level of fulfillment seeing the difference our work brings to peoples lives. Even though MFP got acquired, the engineering culture still feels pre-acquisition which is a great thing to maintain. Catered lunches are definitely a great perk to have.
    Also, I personally feel that the company is not too much hierarchical and each individual gets an opportunity to make an impact if they choose to do so.

Cons

There are really not many things that are worthy of this section. Too many snacks to choose from? :)

"Great place to work, with dark clouds on the horizon"

Current Employee - Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at MyFitnessPal full-time (More than a year)

Pros

<p>I've loved working at MyFitnessPal. It's the only place I've ever worked where literally everyone was happy to be there. The company's mission of giving people useful tools to meet their health goals is a noble one, and it's what both draws people in and makes people stay.</p>

<p>The benefits are excellent, even if some of the unique ones are going away soon (see the Cons section), from the healthy-ish catered lunch every day to the variety of fitness activities to the social initiatives to the weekly Friday beer and fresh bread.</p>

<p>There are weekly classes for HIIT and yoga, and a run club. Occasional company outings to bowling, Napa Valley, and mini-golf. There is always a game of ping pong going on (maybe that's a con for you, YMMV).</p>

<p>Excellent support and opportunity for career growth and evolution.</p>

<p>At the end of the day, the people there are passionate about what they do and who they're doing it for. They check their egos at the door and focus on building a better product for our users.</p>

Cons

<p>Under Amour acquired MFP in early 2015, and so far the results have not been promising. UA is imposing a strong revenue directive, which is coming at the cost of user experience, code stability, and work/life balance. They're throwing a lot of future money (RSUs) at senior employees to convince to them stay. For the most part, the benefits are better, but the drastic reduction in the "Be Healthy" reimbursement for health-related expenses removes something that made MFP's benefits unique. Plus, y'know: sports. There's a lot to tune out if you aren't a sports person. (The sports thing isn't all that bad, honestly, though I expect it will get worse after the move to a new office sometime in 2016.)</p>

<p>The product development cycle is resistant to change, even when that change would benefit everyone. Very little attention is given to technical debt, which means it's just piling up. The revenue-focused projects aren't very compelling.</p>

<p>Few cons. If you enjoy or can tolerate all things UA, you should try to work here.</p>

Advice to Management

Listen to the engineering teams' feedback about process and potential improvements. If you aren't hearing feedback, ask for some.

5. "Exciting place to work with smart, passionate people"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at MyFitnessPal (More than a year)

Pros

MyFitnessPal is by far the best place I've ever worked. The people are incredibly open, accepting and genuinely passionate about the mission and their jobs here. There's a culture of fostering open feedback and a fair work/life balance that comes from the top. Plus the healthy catered lunches, onsite yoga and generous benefits don't hurt either.

Cons

I suppose too many snack options can sometimes cause decision making paralysis.

"Meaningful, challenging, fulfilling, exciting."

Current Employee - Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at MyFitnessPal full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

At MyFitnessPal, you're doing something that matters - positively changing millions of lives for the better. The MyFitnessPal team consists of really smart and really hard-working people. Everyone is really friendly. The work we do is both meaningful and challenging. I always look forward to going into work the next day. I'm constantly engaged with something new and exciting to work on. The best part is that I feel I'm making a difference everyday.

The place also has some of the best leaders. Everyone respects that you have a life and sometimes life happens and you need time to sort out stuff like that. They trust you to do your work and they don't micro manage - they're there to make sure you have everything you need to get things done.

There is a culture of fun at MFP. Everyone is friendly, funny, and they all seem to love working here. The office is a great work environment - with standing desks and treadmill desks. There's a health and fitness focus even at work, with weekly running and yoga. There's healthy snacks at work everyday and lunch is catered. All in all, one of the best places I've worked at.

Cons

Nothing that I can think of.

"Best company culture"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at MyFitnessPal full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

There are an incredible number of reasons why I love working here, but here are the top reasons:

First and foremost, working on a product that literally changes people's lives for the better. The Customer Happiness team sends us feedback from our customers every Friday and it is incredibly inspiring.

Secondly would be working with amazing people; our co-founders have set the tone for the company and have done an amazing job of bringing in people who are genuine, intelligent, and passionate about their craft and our mission.

Third would be that we are able to maintain a healthy work/life balance which I feel is so rare. Our leaders really care about the employees and want people to be happy -- which means being able to have a life outside of work too.

Last but not least would be that I am enabled to do my job. This means I am trusted and respected, I am given the freedom to work autonomously, and given all the resources I need to get the job done.

Cons

I'll check back when I find some

8. "Great Place"

Pros

Stellar leadership, founders that really care about culture and the people they hire

Cons

A lot of growing pains with the UA acquisition

Advice to Management

Keep the culture intact, it is unique in the start up world

9. "Great place to work"

I have been working at MyFitnessPal full-time

Pros

Wonderful team atmosphere, exciting projects, great leadership

Cons

no major concerns at all

"The company you want to marry"

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer
    Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer

I have been working at MyFitnessPal full-time

Pros

* Focus on employee happiness
    * Has the best stocked kitchen for anyone focusing on diet
    * Catered free lunches
    * Treadmill desks
    * Generous monthly "health" stipend for gym membership, fitness classes, and more
    * Get to work with highly talented, ego-checked co-workers

Cons

* Kitchen so big you need to block time out of your calendar to pick a snack
    * Need to learn Outlook
    * A lot of technical debt that continues to build

Advice to Management

There's a lot of technical debt. "Simple" processes such as starting a new project can become a very large time sink and cost a lot of resources. The sooner we flush out processes, the easier it will be for the company to grow and handle workload. We need to change our "fix it later" mentality. Let's keep our numbers small, efficiency high, and customers happy.

Continue to focus on customer happiness. Their success is our success.

11. "Marketing Manager"

Pros

Mission-driven, smart, fun people. Great work environment

Cons

None...really. None that I can think of.