Myer Reviews | Glassdoor

Rating Trends Rating Trends
Myer Chief Executive Officer and Managing Director Richard Umbers
Richard Umbers

Pros
Cons
  • Subsequently would receive complaints on a weekly basis about the lack of staff on the floor (in 6 reviews)

• Career progression is harder getting into part-time/full-time (in 7 reviews)

1. "Retail rep"

Pros

Flexibity and awesome team to work with

Cons

Management not willing to train when needed

2. "Good company that cares about their employees. But at the stores, some management could be really rude, mean and stupid."

Pros

You get to learn a lot if you want. I worked at 6 different departments other than my home base. And potentially could be promoted.

Cons

Sometimes some of the management could be really stupid and treat people unfairly. It really depends on who you meet, but more than half managers and team leads were mean and rude.

Advice to Management

Good company that cares about their employees. But at the stores, some management could be really stupid and messing around. Although I did meet one lovely and encouraging manager too.

A policy for employee complaint. Some of other retailers/ brands that I worked for have a nice policy to protect their employees and make sure they are valued and treated well & most importantly, fairly. So it's a line that you could complain to if your boss treats you like horribly or corrupted.

3. "Good"

Pros

Great salaries, and benefits , good work environment

Cons

Not the best product and not very good at training their star.

4. "great door into retail"

Former Employee - Casual Sales Assistant in Brisbane (Australia)
    Former Employee - Casual Sales Assistant in Brisbane (Australia)

Pros

never boring always something to do
    discounts

Cons

sales targets
    can get very busy
    sometimes not enough staff on

5. "Myer"

Pros

Good work environment - flexible policies, approachable management.

Cons

Very long hours during peak holiday season - makes you question the hourly rate.

6. "Great Team!"

Pros

- Good team,
    _ Great Brand,
    -Fast Progression,
    -Nice office

Cons

-Political,
    -Long Hours,
    - Poor managers,
    -poor it systems,
    -very re active

7. "Sales Assistant"

Current Employee - Sales Assistant in Doncaster (Australia)
    Current Employee - Sales Assistant in Doncaster (Australia)

I have been working at Myer (Less than a year)

Pros

- good discounts on everything across all stores
    -nice people to work with
    - opportunities to work in different departments
    - pays a little above minimum wage

Cons

- not enough training for the registers
    - get given very little shifts
    - can expect to have shifts cancelled
    -be prepared for those busy shifts during christmas time

Advice to Management

For someone who hadn't had previous retail experience and to have the manager simply leave me on my own for my first shift without introducing me to any of the other team members or inform me of the products and brands they sold, and where all the stock was held was really unfair and not good. Please ask your line managers to actually train new people and pair them up with someone who has had experience

"Great Job while studying but easy to get stuck after that"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Melbourne (Australia)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Melbourne (Australia)

Pros

- Meet lots of great people and it can be a social atmosphere.
    -'New Myer' initiative has the company incorporating more technology and trying to be forward-thinking - iPads in store, Kronos app for rostering and clocking in/out etc.
    - Good pay rate and staff discount.
    - Learn lots of skills in retail and the opportunity to work in different areas (as a casual).
    - work for a good brand and reputable company.

Cons

Good and bad things come and go and vary with different situations and the people you deal with but:
    - Flexibility and the culture. Every floor/store is different, but the culture is one where leaders/managers often don't recognise or acknowledge good work. They care a lot about figures, meeting Sales per Hour and Average Transaction Values and getting Care Plans (extended warranty).
    - Being a casual is hard. Not knowing when you're shifts will be in terms of schedule and income. Management pay the 'casual' card when it suits them but aren't nice about it when it's the other way around. Not allowing us to swap shifts, saying we need a medical certificate if we call in sick even though we're casual. We only get the roster 1-2 weeks in advance (and that's better than what it used to be before the Kronos app was introduced... On a Thursday we didn't know if we were working on the Sunday or what shifts that coming week). Really hard to manage your life like that and can have a negative impact personally.
    - They say there's opportunity for career progression but you have to really kick butt and kiss butt - constantly, to get anywhere. Hard to go from casual to part-time or full-time as contracts are sparsely given out.

Advice to Management

A bit more care and compassion to staff. Longer roster scheduling for casuals. More effort into how you can help people develop or move up, or even into different areas for any career progression.

9. "Love it"

Pros

Culture is great if in a good team

Cons

Pay is terrible if you don't negotiate

Advice to Management

Career planning needs to have more focus to keep staff

10. "Sales Assistant"

I worked at Myer part-time

Pros

Work is quite flexible being casual, and the actual tasks in the good departments (electrical) are pretty easy and selling is fun. Once you start making good sales it's pretty satisfying.

Cons

Major issue with Myer is that management is severely incompetent. Line managers only care about their own career progression and ticking off their achievement boxes from the work YOU do. Also, service managers are completely useless, they know nothing and are not business savvy at all.

Advice to Management

Promote the right people, not just anyone and appreciate the hard work dedicated team members put in. I moved to a competitor because even though I was one of the top salespeople, It was never noticed or rewarded much at all.