Myers Industries Reviews | Glassdoor

John C. Orr

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "QA"

I worked at Myers Industries full-time

Pros

Learning experience. Good people and hard workers.

Cons

Stressful environment. A lot quality issues.

2. "Considered yourself secondary and products and customers first place"

I have been working at Myers Industries full-time

Pros

A lot of the employees and a couple of supervisors are good people and hard workers (at least on 1st shift) and the pay and benefits are decent

Cons

Quality control can be a mess, especially if we're dealing with products from 2nd and 3rd shift employees. Ever since they started this 80-20 Kaizen bit, it's making it harder for us to actually like our job. Management doesn't really get involved or get their hands dirty with the exception of a couple of them. They have very poor communication skills, they're afraid of taking criticism, and just like the CEO, corporate, and president of Ameri-Kart, they lack empathy. With all the Saturdays they stole from us over the summer because they can't hold off on taking on new orders. They just had to keep piling them to the backorders. I would love them to work the hours we had to put up with, and I feel awful for the mold shop because they have it way worse in terms of work to live ratio. And they're doing this new thing next week where they want us to work 10 hour days Monday-Thursday (6am-4:30pm) and having Friday through Sunday off. That sounds good on paper, but what if you have doctors appointments that close between 3 and 5? Or grade school kids that depend on a parent being home during the time the parent is at work. Not to mention, you don't get any official 15 minute breaks before and after lunch, which I think should be a crime. And if they mandate overtime (and they will), they'll force you to work the next day on Friday. Hope you won't feel exhausted the first 40 hours you crunched in 4 days. They didn't even ask us how we felt about it or even give us a two week notice about it. They just decided right off the bat on Tuesday that they're doing this next week. Don't like it? Then find something else. I bust my butt I feel like every week, and I'm going to find something else eventually. I'm tired of feeling unappreciated and getting stressed out at this job. They continue to make us bend over backwards for them. I'd like to see them working these hours and doing the things we do. Another thing is the random drug tests, which are fine, but they often repeat the same people needless because they draw randomly. Put the name in another pile till you get to the last name then start over! I hope this company gets what it truly deserves. And if it goes down, Ameri-Kart and all, I won't feel bad at all. It'll be the CEO's fault for the boneheaded decisions he made. Avoid working here if you can. Consider it a plague.

Advice to Management

This goes for CEO, corporate, and the president of Ameri-Kart as well. Learn to communicate with your employees. We're not just numbers or dirt under your thumbnail. We're human beings that have feelings like you. You always make it harder and more challenging for us. I think you need to learn to have more sincere empathy, get out there and see what it's like for us, and let us have a life outside of work for goodness sake! I don't want to be exhausted after work because then I won't have the energy to have a life outside along with my other obligations. You gave me a new view on the RV and overall plastics industry. It's not a good view. I find that if you take away our personal time, you not only disregard is, you disrespect your employees. But what do I know? I'm just a fly you can swat away. I have no pride in the work I do here. Writing this fired me up on finding something else even more so. I hope others find this review useful so they can avoid any factory with "Myers Industries" attached to it.

3. "Poor leadership, good strategy"

I have been working at Myers Industries full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

New CEO has developed a good vision

Cons

Poor leadership at the next level down and around CEO - only concerned about themselves and compensation

Advice to Management

Develop and invest in your people instead of blaming them for everything. There are many capable people inside the company willing to learn, change and support the vision. Lead.

4. "Constant state of flux"

Pros

Change is sometimes good for my employer

Cons

However, we have constant turnover in key positions

5. "Keep Looking"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Akron, OH

Pros

It's a job; a pay check

Cons

Poor management and leadership
    Corporate culture is lacking

"Overall good place"

I have been working at Myers Industries full-time

Pros

Good place to work. Management wants to make the culture better. Excellent benefits and fair compensation.

Cons

Culture is still stuck in the old way of operating. Need to upgrade technology.

Advice to Management

Keep making positive changes and don't hold on too much to the past. Hire new employees if necessary.

7. "All politics"

I worked at Myers Industries full-time

Pros

Pay was great and the benefits were good too. Co workers made the day better and the casual Friday's were always a bonus.

Cons

Good old boys club. There were no women in higher management. Managers often didn't lead their dept so much as dictate.

Advice to Management

Follow up with your managers. They need some work!

8. "Supervisor"

Former Employee - Supervisor in Edwardsburg, MI
    Former Employee - Supervisor in Edwardsburg, MI

I worked at Myers Industries (More than 10 years)

Pros

Moved up from trimming parts to supervisor of trim area

Cons

Wasn't no where else up i the business for me to go

9. "Poorly Managed Company"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Akron, OH

Pros

Not any at this time- this company is on the decline - big time.

Cons

Their answer to slumping profits is to slash payroll and lay off employees. They have no other ideas on how to manage. Very short sighted outlook. They do not know how to stimulate sales.

Advice to Management

Please look farther than the stock price each quarter to evaluate the company and plan for the future..

10. "Poorly run company that tolerates bad employees"

Former Employee - Marketing Communications Specialist in Akron, OH
    Former Employee - Marketing Communications Specialist in Akron, OH

Pros

Great co-workers and not much overtime.
    Smaller company with many different brands for experience in manufacturing.
    Free parking and decent building.

Cons

Manufacturing is a dying industry.
    Poor leadership and lots of politics.
    No focus on good work-life balance or creative environment. They would prefer to do cube checks right at 8 a.m. and 5 p.m. to make sure you're chained to your desk.
    Poor attitudes, outrageous behavior and disrespectful employees are tolerated. High-achieving employees don't stay long.
    No perks to working there.
    Below average compensation.

Advice to Management

Focus on improving the company culture and results will follow. Don't tolerate insubordinate behavior to avoid conflict.