KEY NOT FOUND: coverImgAlt

Myers and Stauffer

Is this your company?

Myers and Stauffer

Add a Review

Myers and Stauffer Employee Reviews about "pigeon holed"

Updated Mar 10, 2020

Found 9 of over 186 reviews

4.1
Myers and Stauffer Executive Committee Keenan Buoy and Kevin Londeen (no image)
Keenan Buoy and Kevin Londeen
Pros
  • "Workload is generally steady throughout the year, which allows for a good work-life balance(in 44 reviews)

• "At Myers and Stauffer there are always endless opportunities to learn something new and to apply that knowledge in a new way(in 9 reviews)

• Cons
  • "Many reviews bring up the "pigeon holed into healthcare" aspect(in 9 reviews)

• "The downsides of working at the Atlanta Myers and Stauffer location is the incompetent leadership and lack of support for their employees(in 7 reviews)

• More Pros and Cons
    Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.

Choose a different language and keep reading other reviews.

The latest conversations about Accounting

Join the conversation on

Accounting

3y

a

Senior Associate

What are some unethical things you’ve done at work?

3,607

249 Comments

Join the conversation on

Reviews about "pigeon holed"

Return to all Reviews
    1. 5.0

Staff Accountant

Jan 5, 2018 - Anonymous Employee
      Business Outlook

Pros

Awesome co-workers and flexible schedules

Cons

Niche work and quickly get pigeon holed

National HR Director

Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback about Myers and Stauffer and we are glad that you are enjoying your experience. If you have any other feedback to share please feel free to reach out to me at creed@mslc.com as I would be happy to discuss.

2. 2.0
      Former Employee, more than 1 year

Sexism, favoritism, and busy season almost all year long.

Mar 10, 2020 - Staff Accountant in Atlanta, GA
      Business Outlook

Pros

Pros: -Work life balance when it’s not busy season -Flexible schedules -Flexible per diems when traveling -Nice physical office -Interesting work (subjective upon you finding the government healthcare industry interesting) -Some very sweet colleagues (but also a lot of bad apples) -Competitive CPA program -The firm partially pay for grad school ($3,000 / yr) -The partner-in-charge of the project I worked on is awesome! -Job security since government healthcare is an ever-evolving industry in need of regulating and auditing, and the firm as a whole truly is an expert at what they do. -The firm likes to hire its interns whenever possible. If you're even a halfway decent intern, you will likely receive a full-time offer.

Cons

Where to start... 1. Busy season... all. the. time. There were some weeks where I was making less than minimum wage based upon the hours I was working. There’s also no appreciation for the work you’re doing either if you aren’t under-billing to meet budget. 2. Sexism. From what I’ve heard from former colleagues on other projects, the sexism is unique to cost reports. The whole project is an absolute boys’ club, and this tone is set by a particular senior manager. After I left, there was only one female accountant left on a team of about 15 people. A specific example would be jokes being made about particular staff members “being women” about a particular issues: insinuating that being a woman was somehow less or derogatory. This was brought up by other female employees during their exit interviews with HR, and there was not any corrective action taken. 3. The pay is significantly below industry standard if you work on a project that is travel-intensive (therefore, you're working more hours). It's unsustainable to pay staff below average but still expect them to work 50+ hour work weeks. 4. There is not an appreciation at all for the staff and the time/sacrifice they make to meet project deadlines. At-best, there’s a small bonus and lunch hosted in the office after the deadline is met. 5. The particular project I worked on was a very toxic environment overall. Not to get into specifics, but the summation would be that the team does not operate as a team but rather everyone is out for themselves in hopes of getting promoted quicker; a senior manager even admitted that this was his mentality. 6. Like many other reviews mentioned, there is a high risk for being pigeon-holed. The firm does not try to hide its focus on government healthcare, but this is something to keep in mind. 7. The pressure and toxic environment that is both tolerated and promoted by management is detrimental to staffs' physical and mental health. TL:DR - A lot of bad managers, sexism, long hours, never-ending busy season, toxic work environment, and a lack of respect for employees physical and mental health.

8 people found this review helpful

National HR Director

Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback about your experience at Myers and Stauffer. There are comments that you shared that we would like to address for your benefit. Regarding busy season, hours worked, and salary, we are a professional service firm and additional hours during our busiest times are expected in this industry; however, our hour requirement is still below traditional large public accounting firms. Our salaries are competitive with other similar sized firms in each market but Big 4 salaries we are not (some of the Pro's you listed are why we are different than large firms). Regarding your comments on sexism there have been efforts made to address team behavior since your departure that you are unaware of and that we have dealt with. Over half of the local office leadership team is female and many (if not most) have been promoted up through the organization. If you would like to discuss your concerns and you feel comfortable speaking to us further about it, please reach out to Rebecca Kavanaugh at rkavanaugh@mslc.com to discuss or I would be happy to visit with you about your experience. I can be reached at creed@mslc.com. Either of us would very much appreciate visiting with you.

3. 2.0
      Former Employee

The company is OK, middle management requires training

Jan 9, 2018 - Anonymous Employee
      Business Outlook

Pros

The pay is fair for the hours required, benefits are typical, the office culture for the most part is good, upper management is good.

Cons

Many off the managers don't know how to manage staff. The training is sub par, expectations unclear and unreasonable you often get mixed messages. A CPA means nothing. This is not a place for a motivated person that wants to build a career - promotions tend to take place about 3 years in on a seniority basis. There is only one department that actually does accounting work. Expect to pigeon holed into experience that does not translate elsewhere.

1 person found this review helpful

National HR Director

Thank you for your response. Myers and Stauffer is a leading firm in the government health care accounting and consulting industry. We don’t hide our health care focus, rather we’ve spent the last 40 years building on that knowledge in an effort to be indispensable to our clients. In truth, our work is auditing but it is not your traditional financial statement auditing that other CPA firm's offer. That said, our experienced staff are valued as health care and data experts and are consistently being recruited by other CPA firms, state and federal governments, hospitals, nursing homes, insurance companies, large health care organizations (home offices), and various other managed care entities. Many of the leaders in the private and public health care industry come from health care consulting and reimbursement backgrounds like Myers and Stauffer. There are a number of engagement teams that allow non-CPA's to work in Manager roles because of the nature of the data and reviews involved. This works great for those who want to progress in our environment but may have not met the initial CPA qualifications. Additionally, those with the CPA are certainly valued for their technical knowledge and expertise and we have promoted over 20% of our Staff Accountants to Senior Accountant roles each of the past three years so there are opportunities for those who want to have a career with the firm. Please feel free to reach out to me at creed@mslc.com if you would like to discuss further.

4. 5.0
      Current Employee, more than 1 year

Wonderful place to work

Jun 22, 2017 - Senior Accountant in Raleigh, NC
      Business Outlook

Pros

My background is different from others as I started in private (for a public company) and am familiar with the expectations of working more hours and being present for close each month, while also meeting high level management expectations that usually are out of your control. When I started here, it was like a dream, so I am definitely biased due to how well I've been treated in the time I've been here. I have had jobs that were truly worth complaining about, and management with very serious problems, and this is not one of those employers. The work life balance is superb. It's very much an autonomous-friendly environment. I have never been micromanaged. Everybody is pleasant to work with, the office is calm but still friendly and sociable, and we do have some events to get people together that don't work on the same team. As far as work, your career here can go whichever way you want it to. Like any workplace, you have to take control of your own goals and show initiative to learn and grow. Your initiative may involve working more hours, but "overtime" here is pretty much the equivalent of a normal week at other firms. If you want to go private due to being overworked in public, but don't actually like the work in private, this is a great firm. Management here is easy to talk to and always willing to help, even when very busy. There is even an open door policy with the "partner in residence." There are lots of different personalities but they all seem to mesh well. I would even go so far as to say that it is the best place I've ever worked on all fronts - management, challenge, and coworkers included.

Cons

Many reviews bring up the "pigeon holed into healthcare" aspect. It is definitely healthcare specific, but there are plenty of healthcare related accounting jobs out there. It's not a stepping stone to another CPA firm or a bookkeeping gig, but it is a great place to work. I do think that listing this as a con is a bit unfair as just like any business, it exists to meet a demand, and suggesting the business merge into a completely different field defeats the purpose of meeting said demand. However, if healthcare is not a field you're interested in, this isn't the place for you.

1 person found this review helpful

National HR Director

Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback about your experience at Myers and Stauffer. We appreciate your comment about being specific to healthcare and agree that there are great opportunities within the healthcare field that Myers and Stauffer can prepare you for. We feel all of our employees make a difference in the government healthcare industry.

5. 3.0
      Former Employee, more than 1 year

Decent place to start

Oct 17, 2016 - Staff Accountant in Atlanta, GA
      Business Outlook

Pros

Work mates are great, fairly easy work, good work life balance for the most part.

Cons

Work is a bit boring and you may get pigeon holed into something if you stay for too long or don't expand skill sets/projects.

6. 2.0

Not traditional accounting

Feb 13, 2016 -
      Business Outlook

Pros

Opportunity to advance seems available.

Cons

Too specialized, may get pigeon holed.

7. 1.0
      Former Employee, more than 3 years

Staff Accountant

Feb 17, 2016 - Staff Accountant in Owings Mills, MD
      Business Outlook

Pros

Never worked 40 hours a week. You could basically get away with whatever you wanted here. Could get promoted with no effort.

Cons

Work was boring. Little to no teaching of the procedures was given. You had to wing it a lot. No interaction with other employees for sometimes days, reviews were not even across the board . Some reviews given by scrooge and others were given by easy going people. Did not show a lot of care for employees. "Head Partner" made us come into work on days when bad weather occured because "he could get there so can you". This type of work pigeon holed you in your career.

2 people found this review helpful
    8. 2.0
      Former Employee, more than 3 years

Not a great place to work

Jul 15, 2015 - Senior Accountant in Knightdale, NC
      Business Outlook

Pros

-manager allowed flexible schedule is needed -could work from home if necessary -easy work -40 hour work weeks all year

Cons

-easy to get pigeon-holed -work is not challenging/rewarding -caddy work environment

5 people found this review helpful
    9. 1.0
      Current Employee, more than 3 years

Prepare to be pigeon holed

Jan 24, 2015 - Senior Accountant in Baltimore, MD
      Business Outlook

Pros

We get to work 36 hour weeks most weeks. No busy season. Office is well lighted. Allowed to take extra long lunches periodically.

Cons

The very definition of being pigeon holed. Your skill set is so narrowly pinned down to the smallest sliver of health care that is not transferable to any meaningful job anywhere else.

5 people found this review helpful