KEY NOT FOUND: coverImgAlt

Mynd Spa and Salon

Is this your company?

Mynd Spa and Salon

Add a Review

Mynd Spa and Salon Employee Reviews about "front desk"

Updated Nov 8, 2019

Found 12 of over 223 reviews

3.3
Mynd Spa and Salon President & Chief Executive Officer W. Todd Walter (no image)
W. Todd Walter
Pros
  • "The discounts for employees with products and services are amazing(in 18 reviews)

• "You get a 90% discount on services booked same day at your home location and 50% off at other locations(in 14 reviews)

• Cons
  • "Salon & Spa Management was constantly changing at the time I was there(in 16 reviews)

• "Often times front desk would be bare, leaving workers to fend for themselves(in 13 reviews)

• More Pros and Cons
    Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.

Reviews about "front desk"

Return to all Reviews
    1. 1.0
      Current Employee, more than 5 years

Turn around and don’t look back

Nov 8, 2019 - Guest Service Representative in New York, NY
      Business Outlook

Pros

You meet some great people, discounts can be nice and hours are flexible.

Cons

Awful pay. They only focus on critiquing the bad in you, never any good reviews. Upper management especially needs to wake up and understand the morale of the front desk/reservations is a direct reflection on them. The HEALTH CARE ABSOLUTELY SUCKS! IT IS MEDICARE! Highest deductible I have ever seen - you’re better off paying the fine and negotiating prices with the doctor yourself. They also fire or let go some of the best workers/employees out there. I have lost so many coworkers due to such dumb reasons and I don’t know how much longer I’ll be able to stand it.

Staffing Manager

Thank you for sharing your experience with us and for speaking up! We want to ensure that we are representing our Core Values every day. We take our employee's concerns seriously and appreciate your feedback. We would like to speak with you personally, please reach out to us at guestrelations@myndspa.com so we can communicate further to ensure that are our employees are happy and successful. We love to hear that you enjoy the great discounts and flexible hours. You are correct, retention is everything. Thank you for being a part of our team for over five years!

2. 1.0

Guesr Service Representative

Apr 27, 2015 - Guest Service Representative in North Chicago, IL
      Business Outlook

Pros

The girls I worked with were awesome, it felt like hanging out with friends when all the girls were there.

Cons

Management seems to put all the responsibility on the front desk while they are on 'conference' calls or just munching out in the office and gossip. Made a huge deal when you came into work not looking the red door perfect look that they want. No chairs for the front desk so you are basically standing up for your whole shift minus a 30 min lunch, which could mean you stand up for 7 to 8 hours. Management is inconsistent with rules and often talk about other employees problems with other employees. Management doesnt handle problems well between the technician and customers. I saw a manager let an employee get yelled at by a customer in front of the whole salon and didnt do anything about it, even gave the customer a free service while employee was crying and upset in the office. We even had to work through some terrible weather that was so dangerous for the employees todm drive through yet the manager that makes the decision to work was home safe and sound.

3. 3.0
      Former Employee, more than 1 year

Fun Environment, Horrible Pay

Jan 3, 2018 - Guest Service Representative in Phoenix, AZ
      Business Outlook

Pros

Had a lot of fun

Cons

Although some of the clients were extremely rude. I've been cussed out at the front desk, while my managers hid out in the office while it happened (hearing the whole thing and not coming to my aid) All in all, this is a great position for someone retired, living at home, or being financially supported by a spouse. Making eleven dollars an hour, part time, and being treated so poorly eventually made it not worth it... even though I adored my co-workers

Be the first to find this review helpful

Northeast Regional Recruiter

Thank you for adding your review to our page on Glassdoor. We appreciate hearing your feedback and will be taking action. As a company we value our employees and apologize for the experience you had. It is a pleasure to hear that you enjoyed the environment and your coworkers.

4. 2.0
      Current Employee

Low paying for a "high end" spa

Mar 19, 2018 - Guest Service Representative
      Business Outlook

Pros

My teammates are amazing. I love working at the front desk solely for my teammates (not my managers) I enjoy interacting with them and feel like i have developed friendships with most of them if not all. You get a discount on services and products (but the products aren't that good)

Cons

the pay is pathetic. some of the services are upwards of $200 dollars yet front desk can only make 11-12 dollars? its pathetic. this is a luxury spa it should at minimum pay 15-17. no wonder the turnover rate is outstanding

Northeast Regional Recruiter

We love hearing that you work with an amazing team and enjoy the deep discounts we offer on retail and services! We do hope that you take advantage of our other great benefits, such as 401K, medical, dental and vision plans and our continuing education that is offered for all departments. Thank you for adding your review.

5. 2.0
      Former Employee, less than 1 year

Management a Trainwreck

Oct 28, 2013 - Guest Service Representative in Dallas, TX
      Business Outlook

Pros

• Awesome discounts and access to superior quality technicians that I definitely couldn't afford to get services from otherwise. • Most of the people I worked with were super nice. • What the technician says, goes. I think it is so important that technicians are treated like they know what they're doing. • Easy to sell products. You don't even have to try. With the product quality, and the wealth of the clientele, I easily sold $2000 in product a month- even as just a lowly receptionist, and without falsely claiming credit for the sold product.

Cons

Oh lord. Where do I begin. NO training. Basically you show up on day one, watch a video called SMILE, and then the manager tells you to just go ahead and jump into the work at the front desk, and shuts the office door. I had never used the software before, so I spent a couple of days fumbling around like an idiot in front of guests before I sufficiently taught myself the basics. To make it more difficult, the technicians all have very specific ways they would like their services booked; including timing, guests tthey refuse to see, how much time they like to have between services to catch up... It's a lot to remember. Like I said, techs should be treated as though they are competent, but as an esthetician myself, I can say they take themselves too seriously. A lot of ego running around the spa. As I said, I am also an esthetician, and when I was hired in guest services, I was told I could also be trained in their esthetics department in case anything happened to where they would need an extra hand. Four months went by, nothing. So I found another opportunity as a facialist at another company, and when I gave my notice the manager said, " Oh that's too bad, we were just going to start talking to you about a full time esthetician position." Cheap shot. That was my last day. Mostly it was a boring job that had no real chance of going anywhere that i couldn't pay my bills on.

3 people found this review helpful
    6. 2.0
      Current Employee

Not a long term or happy place to be...

Feb 13, 2016 - Guest Service Representative in New York, NY
      Business Outlook

Pros

Most of the people you work with are friendly & great, the discounts on services are great too.

Cons

Lots of disorganization with management. Understaffing is a constant problem. Dealing with the nasty attitudes of regular clients & corporate guests from upstairs. Inadequate pay considering that the GSRs are basically managers & are overworked. It's impossible to find coverage for days requested off due to such a small front desk staff. Say goodbye to holidays and weekends off. No gratis products or recognition from management or corporate.

3 people found this review helpful
    7. 1.0

I wouldn

Jun 12, 2015 - Beauty Advisor in Northbrook, IL
      Business Outlook

Pros

There really aren't any. I'd say the discount on services but trust me - it's not easy to get in or fair for the technicians.

Cons

Cruel management. You know those mean girls in high school? They grow up to be managers at Red Door Spa. This place does not care about you. They don't care about your family. They don't care about your children (children aren't even allowed in the spa). I had a manager sitting up at the front desk talking about how she didn't think that children should be allowed in grocery stores and that her dog was more well behaved than children (knowing that there were people with children present). They don't REALLY care about service quality, they care about service quantity. Unrealistic retail goals. 1950s scare tactics rule this place - they threaten your pay, your job, and turn people against you. Poor training. They don't explain your job to you. There was a girl that got a promotion to a guest service lead. Well, no one really explained to her what EXACTLY her duties were (although who's really sure what they are - all the employee handbooks and job descriptions are totally vague and heavily open to management interpretation - I would say just interpretation but management's is the only one that "matters"). So they demoted her because "she wasn't a good fit" they cut her pay and her hours. And they did this without any kind of review or training. They simply didn't like her so didn't give her a chance. Like I said in the title - Don't Even Apply.

4 people found this review helpful
    8. 1.0
      Former Employee, less than 1 year

Front Desk Nightmare

Jan 10, 2018 - Guest Service Representative in McLean, VA
      Business Outlook

Pros

Paying little to nothing for haircuts, facials, massages & manicures. You will need them with the stress but probably won't have much time since you are glued to your desk.

Cons

I worked here for 4 months while looking for a job I could apply my degree to until I was finally able to run for the hills. It was by far the worst job I have ever had. GSR's are overworked, standing on their feet for 8 hours, while the managers sit in their office on theirs phones, hide and think they are above doing any front desk work. The job can be extremely physically and mentally tedious and difficult as there can be anywhere from 100-200 clients on weekends, and chances are you get NO help from management. Some customers can be extremely mean, difficult & aggressive. I had clients insult my co-workers looks and intelligence in a very aggressive manner and received NO support from my managers to end their malicious behavior. The managers will only sit back and let them be verbally abusive (sometimes screaming and yelling) to you while they apologize even if you did nothing wrong and the person is just a nut case. Even some of the hair stylists and aestheticians can treat you like a dog they can kick when something goes wrong. All this while getting paid diddly-squat. I personally believe this place goes beyond un-professionalism and into the realm of abuse of their front desk employees. I am so incredibly happy I was able to move on to my next job after this and remove myself from a terrible and toxic situation. The only reason I am grateful to have had this experience is because when I am having a bad day at work I look back on this and remember how fortunate I am to have made it out of this situation.

4 people found this review helpful

Northeast Regional Recruiter

Thank you for reviewing us on Glassdoor based on your experience with us. All of your concerns are being addressed and will be handled.

9. 3.0
      Former Employee

Good place to start working within the customer service field

Aug 16, 2017 - Guest Service Representative in Fairfax, VA
      Business Outlook

Pros

The staff and team are great people. You can learn a lot of transferable skills. Management is understanding of work-life balance.

Cons

It's the retail and customer service field. Front desk stands up all day and can be physically demanding. Environment is stressful although it's where other people come to relieve stress.

Be the first to find this review helpful

Mynd Spa and Salon Response

Thank you for writing a review about The Red Door by Elizabeth Arden on Glassdoor. If you are looking for a career in the hospitality, beauty or wellness industry we are a great place to start and grow your career. We offer many opportunities to advance into management or a service provider role. With over 2 dozen locations nationwide, it is easy to transfer to another state, cross country or into a different department! Thank you for your review.

10. 3.0
      Current Employee, more than 10 years

Life at Red Door

Nov 6, 2017 - Anonymous Employee in Tysons Corner, VA
      Business Outlook

Pros

The technicians are fabulous and the guests are loyal. The discounts for employees with products and services are amazing.

Cons

High turnover at the front desk. Lack of flexibility with time off is disappointing.

Northeast Regional Recruiter

Thank you for reviewing us on Glassdoor. We appreciate hearing your feedback on how we are positively effecting our employees. The cons you brought to our attention are areas that we must review to ensure we keep our employees happy. Thank you again for your feedback.

Viewing 1 - 10 of 12 Reviews