Cover image for Mynd Spa and Salon

Mynd Spa and Salon

Is this your company?

Mynd Spa and Salon

Add a Review

Mynd Spa and Salon Employee Reviews about "red door"

Updated Jan 31, 2021

Verify your email to use filters. Having problems? Resend email
Found 239 of over 239 reviews
3.5
56% Recommend to a Friend
53% Approve of CEO

Found 12 of over 239 reviews

3.5
Mynd Spa and Salon President & Chief Executive Officer W. Todd Walter (no image)
W. Todd Walter

Top Review Highlights by Sentiment

Pros
  • "Great people to work with (co(in 12 reviews)
  • "Friendly coworkers, close to ASU, downtown Tempe(in 7 reviews)
  • "Great team and always busy(in 7 reviews)
  • "My annual salary actually increased during the recession.(in 3 reviews)
  • "Great environment, more than enough clients.(in 3 reviews)
Cons
  • "Poor management is an understatement.(in 39 reviews)
  • "Horrible pay horrible hours not even close to being as high end or as nice as some local day spas(in 10 reviews)
  • "Manager is always either getting hair done or sitting in the back office.(in 7 reviews)
  • "available benefits are good but you pay for most of them.(in 6 reviews)
  • "The work/life balance is also horrible, you will be expected to work your entire life around the job (as in, 'you should be grateful you have a Saturday off this month!')(in 5 reviews)
Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.

Reviews about "red door"

Return to all Reviews
  1. 2.0
    Former Employee

Nail Technician

Jan 5, 2017 -
    Business Outlook

Pros

This was a great part time job until Red Door at Work closed their Boston Office two weeks before the holidays

Cons

management was the reason the company went down. There was barely any marketing or promotion and the management never listened to employees

1 person found this review helpful
  2. 4.0
    Current Employee, more than 5 years

Great pay but hard work

Jun 28, 2015 - Massage Therapist
    Business Outlook

Pros

When it's busy, you'll have more than your fair share of work. Be prepared to work hard, and you'll be happy with your paycheck. Of all the places I've done massage for, Red Door pays the best, offers benefits, and has employees get deep discounts on products and services.

Cons

The work is seasonal. There will be months that are much slower than others, and you'll really feel the dry spells. During the busy season, you will be asked to work every time there is an opportunity. If you keep saying yes, you will get burnt out. Management will be very persistent in asking you to work beyond your committed schedule, and it's really important to say no if you need a break. The benefit plans, while I appreciate that they are offered, are not wonderful plans. Very often it is difficult for employees to schedule services for themselves, so don't count on using the perk of a discount as often as you may desire. As a technician, there is very little opportunity to grow, and good luck ever getting a raise.

3. Join the Mynd Spa and Salon team
    See Our Latest Jobs
  4. 5.0
    Current Employee

Love the culture!

May 16, 2017 - Anonymous Employee
    Business Outlook

Pros

Love the people I work with and my supervisor is supportive and cares about me!

Cons

would like to make more money, but I know a number of people who have left for more money and ended up missing the Red Door work culture so it wasn't worth it.

1 person found this review helpful

Mynd Spa and Salon Response

Thank you for your wonderful review about The Red Door! We pride ourselves on creating and maintaining a beautiful and positive culture just like Elizabeth Arden started back in 1910.

5. 3.0

Massage Therapist

Sep 20, 2016 - Massage Therapist in Garden City, NY
    Business Outlook

Pros

Great environment, more than enough clients.

Cons

No pay increase EVER. The commission percentage you start with is the one you will leave with, no matter how dedicated, loyal and hardworking you are. The store managers are fantastic, and they try hard, but Red Door is sadly stingy on rewarding outstanding performance. Upper level management seems preoccupied with patting themselves on the back on how well the company is doing thanks to them.

Mynd Spa and Salon Response

Thank you for submitting your review based on your previous experience with The Red Door. It is a pleasure to see that you worked with great store managers, had plenty of clients to treat and enjoyed the environment The Red Door sets for our employees and guests. As a company we like to show our support and appreciation for all our employees’ dedication and hard work as often as we can. Pay increases are often reviewed and offered in your technical reviews. We hope that you would like to join our company again as a massage therapist. Thank you again for your incite.

6. 3.0

Decent Company to Work For

Aug 11, 2016 - Anonymous Employee
    Business Outlook

Pros

Worked at Red Door for two years overall a good company to work for with a decent starting salary.

Cons

Technology is lacking. Equipment they run is 10+ years old and no for-site to see the need to upgrade their equipment.

Continue reading
    Be the first to find this review helpful

Mynd Spa and Salon Response

Thank you for submitting a review based upon your previous experience with us. We hope you enjoyed your time with us at The Red Door and always look forward to work with you again. We recently updated our computer system and are open to new ideas to ensure guest and employee satisfaction. Thank you again for your feedback

7. 4.0
    Current Employee, more than 1 year

Red Door Management

Apr 20, 2015 - General Manager in Baltimore, MD
    Business Outlook

Pros

There is a lot of opportunity to grow and advance with Red Door. The teams are full of diversity and experience, which is always fun and provides a lot of great perspective. Though there is regular support from Regional and Corporate offices, it has been my experience that successful managers are comfortable with working independently and are comfortable making decisions on their own.

Cons

There is a bit of a revolving door with management, which can be difficult for a new manager to gain the respect and buy in from technicians. It's absolutely possible, it just can be more challenging than necessary.

3 people found this review helpful
  8. 1.0
    Former Employee, more than 1 year

Beautiful spa, horrible work environment. Not a good place to work in all aspects (money wise, people wise).

Jul 26, 2015 - Hair Colorist in Chicago, IL
    Business Outlook

Pros

The only good thing I can think of is that they do offer benefits (health insurance, dental insurance, PTO and vacations.)

Cons

A challenge of working here is that you can't grow or build here because this company is only focused on a few people who work here. Everyone else is treated differently, unfairly, and unable to receive any new opportunities. I wouldn't recommend this salon to any young person trying to start their career in the hair industry unless they are ok with spending everyday in the break room. I took about 3 clients a week. There aren't enough clients coming through the door to make a living here, you'll never make your commission and on top of it your commission is a low whopping 30% !!! Oh! And HORRIBLE management! Be prepared for the company to rob you of your time and money.

9. 4.0
    Current Employee

A review from a real AGM at the Harrah's location

Jan 10, 2017 - Assistant General Manager in Atlantic City, NJ
    Business Outlook

Pros

This company truly has an open door policy.There is a phone list for everyone in the corporate office and we are all made to feel we can reach out to anyone with any issue or concern. You get a 90% discount on services booked same day at your home location and 50% off at other locations. There is also a friend's and family discount and the retail discount is the best for any company I have worked for. There is information and communications about anything you need to know. From conference calls, corporate support, and our SharePoint, if you have a question or are unsure it is not hard to find answer. My location has has a lot of people grow within the company. If you are motivated and want to grow there are a lot of opportunities for you. Out of everything at Red Door my favorite thing is the people. I love my team. Red Door is great with charity and our techs give more to more charities then I can even count. The people of Red Door Salon and Spa all really do care about people's wellbeing. Corporate has a wellness committee that has different competitions to help us all stay healthy. There is a Red Door company newsletter called the Culture Chronicles that tells us what other people in the company are doing and what locations are doing for charity and employees. We have a lot of locations but it's still one big family.

Cons

While you do try to maintain a balance in your home and work life it is easy for it to take over if you are not careful. There are a lot of emails and it can be overwhelming when you return from your days off. if you check them while your off it is easy to get sucked into work mode.

Mynd Spa and Salon Response

Thank you for highlighting so many great benefits to working for The Red Door! Passion for your career is the secret to personal growth and the growth and stability of our company. With all of our locations nationwide, it is very important for us to keep the consistency of our brand and communication is key. We obtain this consistency with the tool you mentioned, our open door policy. With many methods for outreach you are able to connect with other locations, managers, technicians and all the way to our corporate level. Remember, we are here for you if you ever have a question. We appreciate your open and honest review and we thank you for being the right person, in the right place doing the right things.

10. 1.0
    Former Employee

Guest Service Representative

Jun 28, 2015 -
    Business Outlook

Pros

You get to enjoy free services during your lunch break. That's really the only pro.

Cons

Very poor management team. They don't know how to run the place. Very rude employees, only a handful can be trusted. Everyone is extremely fake and unprofessional. Horrible benefits. No pay raise at all. Whatever you get offered at your hiring date is what you will always be making, unless of course if you get promoted then there will be A BIT of a pay increase. You will never get a 6month or yearly increase because that just doesn't exist at Red Door Spa. But hey, if you're good at being fake and can deal with fake people (including your fellow employees) all day long, then I guess you'd love it there! :D

3 people found this review helpful