Myplanet Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated November 7, 2018

4.7
Jason Cottrell

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "Work life balance (Really understand that employees have life outside work)" (in 9 reviews)

• "The leadership team has stumbled in the past but has found it's way more recently" (in 7 reviews)

1. "A Second Family"

I worked at Myplanet full-time

Pros

- food
    - unlimited vacation
    - great office

Cons

- some attrition
    - hard to book meetings with some folks

Myplanet Response

Mar 21, 2016 – CEO

Thank-you for taking the time to write this review.

Our office(s) have a lot going for them. Glad that they have been a positive in your experience at Myplanet.

We have a lot of perks, my... More

2. "A second family that definitely works hard and celebrates the big and small wins!"

I worked at Myplanet full-time

Pros

- people
    - location
    - benefits
    - challenges that help you grow professionally
    - Mindfulness Mondays were great to take the break and reflect

Cons

- some people needed more structure than others
    - could be a culture shock for those that come from an larger enterprise organization.

Myplanet Response

Mar 21, 2016 – CEO

Really appreciate your time writing this review. It sounds like a lot of your experience here at Myplanet resonated with you. I appreciate your time contributing to forums such as SOTU, Company Q&A... More

"Fun, Challenging, Smart, Humane Company"

Current Employee - Product Strategist in Toronto, ON (Canada)
    Current Employee - Product Strategist in Toronto, ON (Canada)

I have been working at Myplanet full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- Truly believe and understand work-life balance
    - Live and breathe the values of diversity
    - Do their best to pair employees with projects, technologies, industries, and design challenges they are interested in
    - Care deeply about everyone

Cons

The company is growing quickly due to delivering well on projects, and so are experiencing growing pains, Figuring out how to rework office space, staffing projects up without hiring too quickly, etc. But consistently ask for feedback on how to handle this better.

4. "Another year of growth and amazing work"

I have been working at Myplanet full-time

Pros

- The company is growing and the work coming in is exciting and challenging
    - C-level folks are accessible and the company cares about the employers
    - Amazing co-workers
    - Great culture

Cons

- The company is growing and is facing 'growing pains'

5. "Great Company. Always learning. Good growth opportunities."

Current Employee - Software Developer
    Current Employee - Software Developer

I have been working at Myplanet full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

As many people have said, Myplanet has an amazing culture of work life balance. They understand that people are people and not just commodities. They genuinely care about employee well being, health, happiness and fulfillment on the job.

Projects are varied and challenging. There is always something interesting to work on, and perhaps at times that can also wind up being a con as well. Being a client shop, things can be pretty fast paced.

Myplanet is always open to feedback and constructive criticism to make the company better. The management are all really good people who are always listening for ways to improve the company.

The people are all amazing. Everyone there seems to love what they do. The teams are genuinely awesome, and the managers, project leads, and leadership are all warm kind people. Something that seems rare in the world of business today.

Cons

Of course, nothing is completely perfect. As mentioned by others, it can be hard to find a room for meetings.

Myplanet has faltered and stumbled in the past and gone through some growing pains. They still are as they find new areas to work in with new clients and new kinds of projects. As it expands, it is redefining its identity, which can be disorienting at times, and mean that learning takes place on project, and by trial and error.

The company can seem understaffed at times, and thus it means that developers can have fast overlap between projects, be pulled quickly off of one and put onto another, and some projects can feel like they would benefit from another non-existent dev. It can be hard to know exactly what you will work on next until you are on it, and then it is just rolling with things as they come. Some people can thrive in that environment, and others not as much.

Stability in company processes is still being worked out, which can also make it a great place if you are a thinker, a thought leader and a doer. There is a lot of room for growth to become better in certain areas, redefining aspects of company culture and company practices, such as around custom software architecture and design. It can be frustrating at times not having these things already in place, but also means that it is an area that contributions are welcomed and embraced.

In that sense, none of these things are totally cons. They are just the realities of companies that are growing, evolving and changing. That growth has its pains, but we all go through it together.

Advice to Management

Keep pushing for change and improvement. Look to your engineers to help redefine core aspects of how we sell software to clients, what we sell, and how we build, support and maintain solidly structured and designed software.

Work on building up developer experience and culture the same way we have built up design/ux/ui culture and drupal culture. There are untapped resources within the company that could be leveraged to open up whole new streams of income with javascript expertise, knowledge, consultancy and application building. We can totally become a thought leader in the JS world just like we became in Drupal and UX.

6. "Doing all the right things"

I have been working at Myplanet full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

1) Amazing work culture
    2) Smart and collaborative peers
    3) Open management, heading in the right direction
    4) Work life balance (Really understand that employees have life outside work)

Cons

Right since the interview day till today, haven't found any major cons.

There are of course downsides in any company but what matters is that the company or management acknowledges it and actively tries to resolve it. Myplanet does that very openly and efficiently with respect to gap in company processes or interview process or tech best practices.

Advice to Management

Keep it up and don't trade-off on hiring smarter people for faster hiring.

7. "Smart people doing great work"

I have been working at Myplanet full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Good work in the futuristic space.
    Awesome work culture and work life balance.
    Very friendly management.

Cons

Nothing really to mention here.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work.

8. "Really on a roll, so proud to be a part of this team"

I have been working at Myplanet full-time

Pros

I love my team. I'm proud to be part of a company that's at the leading edge of how technology will change how we work.

The leadership has successfully transitioned many incoming projects to have a heavy emphasis on data and AI, and they have built one of the leading Voice / Conversation practice areas in North America.

The team tends to be modest, but they have amassed an impressive customer roster comprised of the top tech companies and brands. The focus on Smarter Interfaces seems to be paying off. The company has been growing consistently and recently raised funding.

I love my colleagues, and it's been years since I've been this energized by my work. Katie, Jada and the hiring team have really refined the hiring process, so those that do join are of a high calibre. These people are surprisingly cross-disciplinary... Myplanet is the first place I've worked where design, engineering and product really respect each other and collaborate. I also appreciate the significant effort put into creating an inclusive and accessible workplace. When I need time with family, my team empathizes and works with me to accommodate.

I was able to attend the Myplanet Mind training program since I joined, and mindfulness is now a part of my daily routines. The company invests heavily in professional development, mentorship, and has established clear career paths that give me choices.

Cons

Never enough meeting rooms, though the office expansion should fix that
    You need to be comfortable working in a cross-functional team. If you prefer working on your own, Myplanet may not be the right choice for you.

The leadership team is very busy and so you need to be good at working with your team and troubleshooting on your own.

Performance reviews give great feedback, but often arrive a month or two late.

Advice to Management

Build space to breath into your growth plans. Keep investing in culture, training and innovation.

9. "Smart Company"

Current Employee - Solutions Architect in Toronto, ON (Canada)
    Current Employee - Solutions Architect in Toronto, ON (Canada)

I have been working at Myplanet full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Myplanet seriously invests in employee growth through mentoring, professional development, knowledge sharing and a focus on mindfulness and mastery
    Company processes incorporate agility at all levels with continual inspection and refinement.
    Colleagues at Myplanet are high quality and cross-disciplinary interaction accelerates overall growth in related disciplines
    Weekly talks, events, meditation and chat channels help to take the edge off doing challenging work for high profile clients

Cons

Myplanet is growing fast enough to cause pain in terms of physical access to meeting and collaborative spaces
    The company has a collaborate approach to project management that can be disconcerting for those that are used to traditional command and control shops

Advice to Management

Preserve the culture that has made the company so attractive for employees and clients

"Great people"

Current Employee - Developer in Toronto, ON (Canada)
    Current Employee - Developer in Toronto, ON (Canada)

I have been working at Myplanet full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The environment at the company enables you to grow on many different aspects.
    The fact we have mentors that help us grow is something I particularly enjoy.
    We often see new and exciting projects to work

Cons

Even though the company invest in many different aspects, sometimes it looks like they are trying to save money on details.

Advice to Management

Keep the good work and value your workers!