Myplanet Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

4.2
Jason Cottrell

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • The leadership team has stumbled in the past but has found it's way more recently (in 6 reviews)

• A good number of interesting projects with some well-known brands (in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • The growth has been limited in the last few years which seems to be changing now (in 2 reviews)

• There is no room for others if you are not like them (in 2 reviews)

1. "A Second Family"

I worked at Myplanet full-time

Pros

- food
    - unlimited vacation
    - great office

Cons

- some attrition
    - hard to book meetings with some folks

Mar 21, 2016 – CEO

Thank-you for taking the time to write this review.

Our office(s) have a lot going for them. Glad that they have been a positive in your experience at Myplanet.

We have a lot of perks, my... More

2. "A second family that definitely works hard and celebrates the big and small wins!"

I worked at Myplanet full-time

Pros

- people
    - location
    - benefits
    - challenges that help you grow professionally
    - Mindfulness Mondays were great to take the break and reflect

Cons

- some people needed more structure than others
    - could be a culture shock for those that come from an larger enterprise organization.

Mar 21, 2016 – CEO

Really appreciate your time writing this review. It sounds like a lot of your experience here at Myplanet resonated with you. I appreciate your time contributing to forums such as SOTU, Company Q&A... More

"Inspiring leaders and smart employees"

I have been working at Myplanet full-time

Pros

- The smartest people I’ve ever worked with, always willing to help and share their knowledge.
    - The leadership team is a group of passionate and intelligent people who really do care about their employees.
    - There is a competency model the company uses to evaluate employees, 360 reviews, biweekly professional development meetings and other frameworks in place to help you grow in your desired career path.
    - The work is challenging and fun, the company's initiatives in new technologies, smart interfaces and AI is super exciting.
    - The leadership is transparent and open. There are quarterly meetings to communicate company's direction and strategies.
    - The company culture around constantly making improvements to processes and operations is very encouraging.
    - Small but really appreciated: All desks can be adjusted to be standing desks!

Cons

Nothing major stands out to me but an area of improvement could be enhancing the breakout/collaboration spaces so they better facilitate myplanet's co-working culture.

Nov 7, 2017 – CEO

Thank-you so much for taking the time to post your review. We always like to say that the people at Myplanet are the number one perk. :) We're really glad that you agree. We are also very excited by... More

4. "Great place to grow"

Pros

This is a great company. People and culture are great. There are a lot of learning opportunities. Interesting projects and global clients. Flexible hours.

Cons

This is a consulting company, so career opportunities are limited because of the nature of the business. Projects are usually stressful and require overtime. Company direction is not always clear.

"Great environment to expanding your skills"

Former Employee - Solutions Architect in Toronto, ON (Canada)
    Former Employee - Solutions Architect in Toronto, ON (Canada)

I worked at Myplanet full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

One of the company's core values, Humanity, is really at the forefront. You absolutely feel like you're treated as a person and not just a "resource" and your needs and desired are taken seriously.

If you're in a technical role, working on different projects every 6 months to a year, you get to experiment with and learn a lot of new technologies and techniques. You're given a lot of liberty in the technical choices you make within your team since every team is autonomous and there's no top-down forcing of any particular technology.

Cons

If you like sticking to, obsessing about, and keep improving a single project a number of years, you won't find a long-termed project to do that here (at least in the short run).

Even though it's a great liberty for teams to be autonomous and making their own decisions, this reflects negatively on the benefits teams could get from cross-team collaboration and sharing of know-how. There's a bit of a lack of a holistic technical leadership that applies to all teams.

"Growth-focused, talent-driven. Company for people who want to be people"

Current Employee - Senior Software Developer in Toronto, ON (Canada)
    Current Employee - Senior Software Developer in Toronto, ON (Canada)

I have been working at Myplanet full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Myplanet's greatest strength are the people at the company. The talent level is very high and everyone is friendly and collaborative. The level of emotional intelligence is high.

Projects are self-organizing and driven by the team members. The level of engagement and ownership is very high as a result. The biggest thing about Myplanet is that I like the people I work with. I like the work we do. I have autonomy over how we do it. And I feel like I'm empowered to do the best I can.

The company is dedicated to fostering an open culture. You can actually tell the C-level leadership what you think and they will listen. During company status meetings there are multiple venues to ask questions to accommodate different communication styles and locations. There's also plenty of 1-on-1 mentorship and syncs. The company also actively considers diversity and has a diversity committee to explore how to be more diverse.

The leadership team has stumbled in the past but has found it's way more recently. The open and iterative approach to leadership has definitely yielded results. In addition, more support is being offered by the extended leadership team than in the past. The path of advancement has been clarified and they are very clear in what kinds of people in different leadership roles.

Cons

Seniority isn't really a way to get your way here. It's a strong meritocracy. You need to be both strong technically, and an effective and empathetic communicator to be able to influence your team mates. You need to be able to explain why your decisions are correct while being respectful and collaborative. I wouldn't say this is a "drawback" necessarily, but for people coming in who expect to have a more traditional culture, it can be a shock.

Another downside is that projects can "follow you around". The nature of services is that you're doing something new 1-2 times per year, which is great for keeping it fresh. However, if you're a crucial person to the project then you can get pulled back into support it in exceptional circumstances (which affects your current commitments). The company has a support team which is supposed to handle these kinds of things, but it's still improving.

Advice to Management

Talent retention needs to be a focus. The strength of the company is it's people.

Oct 24, 2017 – CEO

We really appreciate the time you spent to write this review. You've called out a number of the hallmarks of the Myplanet experience, traits that we have (and continue to) reinforce and improve upon... More

"I continue to grow"

I have been working at Myplanet full-time

Pros

-My team is super smart
    -We work for some of top companies in the world. Most customers are in the US and Europe
    -I can definitely notice my skills growing, and management is very committed to feedback. We get detailed feedback twice per year that is constructive and helpful.
    -The company is growing quite a bit. This is exiting, as they struggled with their sales model in 2015 but seem to have learned from the mistakes.
    -I like the commitment to making all employees owners
    -The company has been investing heavily in data and machine learning. There seems to be a commitment to significant skills upgrades and training for all of us.

Cons

-Company can be very Toronto centric as that’s where most people are based. This is improving.
    - I’m worried that the new capabilities we are building might come out of my own time.
    -Customer-facing roles often have a travel component. Most people have to spend a few days travelling each quarter, but Engagement Lead and Client Service roles can be more. Most travel is to San Francisco and London UK.
    -Work hours can be busy in spurts around product deadlines.
    -I’m not always sure what my stock options mean for me. This could be explained better.

Advice to Management

- Keep diligent on new hires to make sure our team stays strong. - - Spend more time with each team and employee to help convey what Smarter Interfaces will mean for them

"Great place to work at"

I have been working at Myplanet full-time

Pros

- really smart co-workers
    - ambitious leadership team who are also very open to inputs
    - a lot of potential to grow
    - the company actually cares about their employees

Cons

- the last few years, the growth has been limited BUT that is changing now
    - the long-term strategy/ vision of the company is unclear sometimes

9. "Great environment"

Current Employee - Software Developer
    Current Employee - Software Developer

I have been working at Myplanet full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

- Smart teams
    - Good communication
    - Work-life balance
    - Rotation on projects
    - 360 Reviews

Cons

- Reviews can get delayed

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work! But take more close attention to reviews.

Oct 24, 2017 – CEO

Thank-you for taking the time to post your experience here at Myplanet. Really excited to hear that you're loving your team, you're able to grow and do great work, and still keep work-life balance... More

"Great place to work"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Toronto, ON (Canada)

I have been working at Myplanet full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

The best thing about Myplanet is it lives by its values and the leaders of the organization ensure that Myplaneteers are taken care of. I have seen the leaders living the Humanity value on several occasions. Its a workplace that's friendly, transparent and flexible.

I can walk in the office in the same way as I would walk in my home because of the great relationship Myplaneteers share with each other and the flexibility our work environment offers.

There's a lot of diversity in the projects that the company takes on including IOT, AI, etc. This allows the Myplaneteers to be motivated, work on new and innovative stuff and learn new technologies.

The company is working with clients all over North America and Europe. This allows the employees to learn about different regions, customers in addition to all the travel opportunities.

Cons

- The growth has been limited in the last few years which seems to be changing now.
    - Individual career path needs to be given more importance

Advice to Management

Myplanet is a great place to work overall and the leaders are doing an amazing job in maintaining the culture.