Myplanet Reviews

Updated Mar 31, 2021

4.5
Myplanet Founder and CEO Jason Cottrell (no image)
Jason Cottrell
Pros
  • "Management knows the importance of work life balance(in 11 reviews)

• "Supportive leadership team and are focused 100% on the success of the business(in 10 reviews)

• Cons
  • "The company is growing and is facing 'growing pains'(in 8 reviews)

• "company is growing(in 4 reviews)

• More Pros and Cons
    Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.
    1. 5.0

A Second Family

Mar 15, 2016 - Anonymous Employee
      Business Outlook

Pros

- food - unlimited vacation - great office

Cons

- some attrition - hard to book meetings with some folks

CEO

Thank-you for taking the time to write this review. Our office(s) have a lot going for them. Glad that they have been a positive in your experience at Myplanet. We have a lot of perks, my favourite being the people I get to work with each day. I want to set a reasonable expectation that our vacation, sick and paid training time are generous but not unlimited. We work with each Myplaneteer as best we can to match up the appropriate work-life balance for their specific needs. Happy to report that our attrition is less than industry norm, though in 2014 we did have some of our new functions experience higher-than-average turnover as they established themselves. I'd love for you to reach out to me jason (et) myplanet.com to understand where is has been difficult to book time with myself, our leadership or key specialists within the company. Our job is to support our teams, and I want to ensure we improve on this front. While my time is increasingly consumed by travel to visit our clients, partners and offices I still ensure availability in group sessions such as Morning Coffee, Know Your Company and Company Retro. Please let me know where we can do better.

2. 5.0
      Former Employee, less than 1 year

A second family that definitely works hard and celebrates the big and small wins!

Jul 22, 2015 - Anonymous Employee
      Business Outlook

Pros

- people - location - benefits - challenges that help you grow professionally - Mindfulness Mondays were great to take the break and reflect

Cons

- some people needed more structure than others - could be a culture shock for those that come from an larger enterprise organization.

CEO

Really appreciate your time writing this review. It sounds like a lot of your experience here at Myplanet resonated with you. I appreciate your time contributing to forums such as SOTU, Company Q&A, Morning Coffee and for providing feedback into our bi-weekly one-on-one feedback sessions. The best ideas we have heard and implemented come from those sessions. We try to be up-front that individuals who need extensive structure may not be a fit here at Myplanet. We're looking for those who can bring new ideas and challenges to our team. Thank-you again for your positive contributions to our story.

3. 3.0
      Current Employee, less than 1 year

Good culture but Leadership Team doesn't seem to take action on obvious problems

Mar 31, 2021 - Developer
      Business Outlook

Pros

- Good and Supportive Culture on most teams - Most people are quite friendly, motivated and energetic - Good EDI (compared to other tech companies) - There is a good "innovative" culture - we are constantly striving for improvement. - There is no "superiority complex". Most people treat you with respect and dignity.

Cons

- Qualified people that are actually enthusiastic about the company's initiatives and want the company to succeed tend to get ignored, instead the Leadership Team focuses more on motivating everyone else to work on these initiatives or filling these roles with external hires, which I personally don't think is the right move and I've seen it demotivating a lot of people. - There are some people (and teams) that you would want to avoid and they feel very different compared to everyone else in the organization (culture and skill-wise), and I am very surprised that nobody has brought this up in the other reviews. - Even after letting Leadership Team know about these problems, seems like nothing has been done so your best bet is to try to avoid them as much as possible. Not saying this is entirely a bad thing, but from an employee perspective, it could potentially be considered as a "red flag" - We seem to be hiring too many people when we can't even secure new projects fast enough. So chances are, you may be assigned to do research work (which I have seen) instead of working on actual billable projects. - There are a lot of "partnerships" that we have with other vendors so you don't really have the freedom to choose which service or tech stack you want to use in a project. - The "family like" culture that was there pre-covid seems to be dying quite quickly (but this is probably something that other companies are also facing) and I don't see any viable solution to this. - Employee turnover rate is very high. Lots of people leaving within 1-2 years. Haven't seen much improvement in this area at all. - Compensation could be a lot better.

5 people found this review helpful
    4. 5.0

Myplanet

Jan 20, 2021 - Software Developer in Toronto, ON
      Business Outlook

Pros

Supportive environment to work in

Cons

I can not think of any at the moment

5. 5.0
      Current Employee, less than 1 year

Strong culture and energetic team

Sep 28, 2020 - Product Development
      Business Outlook

Pros

- High energy environment with motivated team members - A variety of projects and initiatives - Management encourages promotion from within while bringing on outside talent when needed - Management respectful of employees time, recognizing that ongoing overtime is not sustainable

Cons

- Projects can have high-pressure periods to hit critical deadlines - The industry is competitive, requiring agencies to continually reinvent themselves to stay competitive. This can feel chaotic during periods of change.

Director, Culture

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback with us. We really appreciate the kind words. We also agree that it’s great working alongside such an exceptional bunch of individuals who are motivated to do their best everyday. The people are what makes Myplanet such a special place. You’re right, we’re constantly working to adapt and make changes to ensure we’re set up for success and we know that can sometimes feel chaotic. Thanks for being a part of the journey so far! As we move forward, we’ll be sure to keep our values at the heart of everything we do.

6. 5.0
      Former Employee, more than 1 year

Highly focused, fantastic culture

Oct 15, 2020 - Tech Manager in Toronto, ON
      Business Outlook

Pros

Great, bright, motivated people make up this great company. Endless opportunity to learn more, contribute in various projects, and be challenged day-in/day-out.

Cons

Never a shortage of work, always the need to wear multiple hats. Can be considered pro's for some however!

Director, Culture

Thanks for your feedback. We have to agree that we certainly have the pleasure of working with incredibly bright and motivated individuals at Myplanet! We're so glad your experience was a positive one.

7. 4.0
      Current Employee, more than 1 year

Interesting place!

Apr 9, 2020 - Lead in Toronto, ON
      Business Outlook

Pros

- Great office and location - Not what you would expect of an agency. They lead with a lot of integrity and put the people first - Interesting work - Engaged employees - Fun environment - Fast paced - Office dogs!

Cons

- Overall the people are great but there are some employees with a lot of influence... or maybe they’re just loud... who are very exclusive. If you don’t agree with them they are passive aggressive and will slowly ice you out. It can be demotivating since they plan the company events and social activities. I know it’s not just me who feels this way. It’s like high school all over again if you are in the thick of it - Very reactive approach overall but lots of smart people so the two balance eachother out - Employees skew a bit younger so there is a sense of entitlement but leadership manages this well

3 people found this review helpful

Director, Culture

Thanks so much for taking the time to leave a review. It’s great to hear all of the positive things you are enjoying about Myplanet. Your fellow Myplaneteers and the work environment are no doubt an integral part of this. We work best together when we collaborate, bringing a mix of ideas, experiences, and perspectives to the table, so I’m sorry to hear you are experiencing a lack of inclusion. I encourage you to speak to your leader, HR or myself on this topic - we are all here to help and I truly believe we can solve this. Also, we are looking at fine-tuning some of our processes right now so your feedback on the PGs is something we can look into. Thanks again for the review and for being so open.

8. 5.0
      Current Employee, less than 1 year

Great co-workers and awesome vibe, even for remote workers

Feb 6, 2020 - Software Developer in Montreal, QC
      Business Outlook

Pros

As a remote worker, getting seen/heard can be tricky. However, I've met more people in different departments here in the last 6 months than I did in 7 years in a previous job. Everyone I've met is easy to talk to and understand the communication issues of remote life. I work with smart people that are quick to help and explain things when necessary, all without judgement. The company is socially and community conscious and have a great startup-like culture. There are numerous gatherings, both for employees as well as for external groups, which are open to remote workers too. The on-boarding experience was intensive, but so good, by far the best I've ever experienced. You get to meet a wide range of folks from different departments, which helps later on when you end up working with them. Very quickly after starting to work for Myplanet, I felt like I was an integral part of the company and received positive feedback for things my team had done. That is huge.

Cons

I've only managed to get to the office once...so far :)

Brand and Content Manager

We love hearing you've had such a positive experience so far! Come on out again soon— there's more people for you to meet :D

9. 4.0

Student Intern at my planet

Nov 25, 2020 - Student Intern
      Business Outlook

Pros

Supportive working environment, improved commnication and confidence

Cons

Little opportunity to move between different roles and see different sectors of the company

10. 4.0

myplanet

Nov 24, 2020 - React Native Developer in Toronto, ON
      Business Outlook

Pros

Kind, organized, good culture, good manner

Cons

stressful, multi tasking, some word, some word

Viewing 1 - 10 of 84 Reviews