Myplanet Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

4.4
Jason Cottrell

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "Good work-life balance for an agency, they work to be flexible as much as possible" (in 4 reviews)

• "The leadership team has stumbled in the past but has found it's way more recently" (in 6 reviews)

Cons
  • "I don't have anything negative to say about working at Myplanet" (in 3 reviews)

• "No free lunches but lots of free coffee/cocoa" (in 2 reviews)

1. "A Second Family"

I worked at Myplanet full-time

Pros

- food
    - unlimited vacation
    - great office

Cons

- some attrition
    - hard to book meetings with some folks

Mar 21, 2016 – CEO

Thank-you for taking the time to write this review.

Our office(s) have a lot going for them. Glad that they have been a positive in your experience at Myplanet.

We have a lot of perks, my... More

2. "A second family that definitely works hard and celebrates the big and small wins!"

I worked at Myplanet full-time

Pros

- people
    - location
    - benefits
    - challenges that help you grow professionally
    - Mindfulness Mondays were great to take the break and reflect

Cons

- some people needed more structure than others
    - could be a culture shock for those that come from an larger enterprise organization.

Mar 21, 2016 – CEO

Really appreciate your time writing this review. It sounds like a lot of your experience here at Myplanet resonated with you. I appreciate your time contributing to forums such as SOTU, Company Q&A... More

"QA Developer"

I have been working at Myplanet full-time

Pros

- There is lot of passion in the work environment
    - Efficient leadership
    - Freedom to implement new solutions
    - Constructive feedback from mentors
    - Regular PD meets and process improvement meets
    - Various recourses to learn new technologies
    - Promising compensation
    - Amazing work culture both professional and cultural

Cons

Haven't come across nay so far

"I feel proud to work at Myplanet"

Current Employee - Software Development Engineer
    Current Employee - Software Development Engineer

I have been working at Myplanet full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Expect to work with very smart and talented people.
    Very friendly and collaborative environment.
    Awesome tools (you will be working on a brand new 15 inch macbook pro).
    Your project will most likely be using cutting edge technology.
    Possibility to work remotely.

Cons

Working remotely (which is also a pro, depending of the way you look at it).

Advice to Management

Please keep up the good work!

5. "Innovative studio with excellent culture"

Current Employee - Product Strategy Lead in Toronto, ON (Canada)
    Current Employee - Product Strategy Lead in Toronto, ON (Canada)

I have been working at Myplanet full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Excellent culture (focus on people values & technical mastery/curiosity!!), strong emphasis on training and development, focus on the future and developing capabilities in emerging tech, regular and proactive communication from leadership about the organization's mission, progress, and challenges

Cons

No parking, no breakfast/lunch provided

Advice to Management

Continue focus on people development and recruitment to ensure project teams are regularly staffed at the right level with the right people

Feb 7, 2018 – CEO

We love to say that Myplaneters are Makers, Collaborators and Entrepreneurs. We've spent a lot of time ensuring a strong culture, and I'm glad that it is resonating with you. We do have parking... More

6. "Business development"

I have been working at Myplanet full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Myplanet has proven to be a humbling experience so far - exactly what I thought it would be // how the role was communicated to me in the interview process.

A few pros that come to mind:
    - Coming from a larger tech giant, I find that there is so much humanity here (in the work they do, their business process and how they treat their people) - also one of the first Bcorps in Canada. This was a huge in my decision to move here and it hasn't failed to disappoint - extremely fulfilling. Really rare to see in the tech space.
    - Opportunity to work with a team with so much personality, integrity and expertise in their own domains. Opportunity to build something ground up.
    - Given that we're on an upward sloping growth trajectory, there is a lot of work to be done, which is a challenge but also a huge opportunity if you're a self starter.
    - Work with some of the biggest and leading companies in the world - projects are exciting.
    - Dogs in the office (for those who love dogs).
    - Our office is a heritage site and the first Bank of Canada building, real delight to the eyes.
    - Feel like I'm getting paid to learn.
    - They value work-life balance.
    - Mindfulness training.

Cons

- No free lunches but lots of free coffee/cocoa

Advice to Management

Really onto something with the incredible research and work they're doing around smarter interfaces, certified and/or endorsed by the big techies. Keep at it!

7. "Fellowship program is great"

Pros

- The Fellowship program was well organized and very useful, they taught very useful and relevant web technologies in a fun yet structured manner.
    - Great company culture and environment, plenty of perks.
    - Really care about employees .

Cons

I don't have anything negative to say about Myplanet.

Advice to Management

Continue and expand the Fellowship program

"Inspiring leaders and smart employees"

I have been working at Myplanet full-time

Pros

- The smartest people I’ve ever worked with, always willing to help and share their knowledge.
    - The leadership team is a group of passionate and intelligent people who really do care about their employees.
    - There is a competency model the company uses to evaluate employees, 360 reviews, biweekly professional development meetings and other frameworks in place to help you grow in your desired career path.
    - The work is challenging and fun, the company's initiatives in new technologies, smart interfaces and AI is super exciting.
    - The leadership is transparent and open. There are quarterly meetings to communicate company's direction and strategies.
    - The company culture around constantly making improvements to processes and operations is very encouraging.
    - Small but really appreciated: All desks can be adjusted to be standing desks!

Cons

Nothing major stands out to me but an area of improvement could be enhancing the breakout/collaboration spaces so they better facilitate myplanet's co-working culture.

Nov 7, 2017 – CEO

Thank-you so much for taking the time to post your review. We always like to say that the people at Myplanet are the number one perk. :) We're really glad that you agree. We are also very excited by... More

"Great environment to expanding your skills"

Former Employee - Solutions Architect in Toronto, ON (Canada)
    Former Employee - Solutions Architect in Toronto, ON (Canada)

I worked at Myplanet full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

One of the company's core values, Humanity, is really at the forefront. You absolutely feel like you're treated as a person and not just a "resource" and your needs and desired are taken seriously.

If you're in a technical role, working on different projects every 6 months to a year, you get to experiment with and learn a lot of new technologies and techniques. You're given a lot of liberty in the technical choices you make within your team since every team is autonomous and there's no top-down forcing of any particular technology.

Cons

If you like sticking to, obsessing about, and keep improving a single project a number of years, you won't find a long-termed project to do that here (at least in the short run).

Even though it's a great liberty for teams to be autonomous and making their own decisions, this reflects negatively on the benefits teams could get from cross-team collaboration and sharing of know-how. There's a bit of a lack of a holistic technical leadership that applies to all teams.

"Growth-focused, talent-driven. Company for people who want to be people"

Current Employee - Senior Software Developer in Toronto, ON (Canada)
    Current Employee - Senior Software Developer in Toronto, ON (Canada)

I have been working at Myplanet full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Myplanet's greatest strength are the people at the company. The talent level is very high and everyone is friendly and collaborative. The level of emotional intelligence is high.

Projects are self-organizing and driven by the team members. The level of engagement and ownership is very high as a result. The biggest thing about Myplanet is that I like the people I work with. I like the work we do. I have autonomy over how we do it. And I feel like I'm empowered to do the best I can.

The company is dedicated to fostering an open culture. You can actually tell the C-level leadership what you think and they will listen. During company status meetings there are multiple venues to ask questions to accommodate different communication styles and locations. There's also plenty of 1-on-1 mentorship and syncs. The company also actively considers diversity and has a diversity committee to explore how to be more diverse.

The leadership team has stumbled in the past but has found it's way more recently. The open and iterative approach to leadership has definitely yielded results. In addition, more support is being offered by the extended leadership team than in the past. The path of advancement has been clarified and they are very clear in what kinds of people in different leadership roles.

Cons

Seniority isn't really a way to get your way here. It's a strong meritocracy. You need to be both strong technically, and an effective and empathetic communicator to be able to influence your team mates. You need to be able to explain why your decisions are correct while being respectful and collaborative. I wouldn't say this is a "drawback" necessarily, but for people coming in who expect to have a more traditional culture, it can be a shock.

Another downside is that projects can "follow you around". The nature of services is that you're doing something new 1-2 times per year, which is great for keeping it fresh. However, if you're a crucial person to the project then you can get pulled back into support it in exceptional circumstances (which affects your current commitments). The company has a support team which is supposed to handle these kinds of things, but it's still improving.

Advice to Management

Talent retention needs to be a focus. The strength of the company is it's people.

Oct 24, 2017 – CEO

We really appreciate the time you spent to write this review. You've called out a number of the hallmarks of the Myplanet experience, traits that we have (and continue to) reinforce and improve upon... More