KEY NOT FOUND: coverImgAlt

Myplanet

Is this your company?

Myplanet

Add a Review

Myplanet Employee Reviews about "leadership team"

Updated Jun 25, 2020

Found 12 of over 107 reviews

4.7
Myplanet Founder and CEO Jason Cottrell (no image)
Jason Cottrell
Pros
  • "Management knows the importance of work life balance(in 11 reviews)

• "Supportive leadership team and are focused 100% on the success of the business(in 10 reviews)

• Cons
  • "The company is growing and is facing 'growing pains'(in 8 reviews)

• "company is growing(in 4 reviews)

• More Pros and Cons
    Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.

Reviews about "leadership team"

Return to all Reviews
    1. 5.0
      Current Employee, less than 1 year

An employee focused company with a great design and bucapabilities

Jun 25, 2020 - Accounts in Toronto, ON
      Business Outlook

Pros

- Focused on building platforms that last, not just delivering projects - Working culture is great - Supportive leadership team and are focused 100% on the success of the business

Cons

- There are areas to improve but they are open about the plan in how we get there

Director, Culture

Thanks for your positive feedback!

2. 5.0
      Current Employee, less than 1 year

By far the best company I've worked for

May 8, 2019 - Product Strategist in Toronto, ON
      Business Outlook

Pros

- Organization genuinely cares about their employees - Structured soft & hard skills development and professional growth - Good opportunities for career progression - Interesting mix of enterprise-level clients and projects - Plenty of learning opportunities, including regular in-office talks, library, online resources and more - Welcoming, open and diverse culture - Awesome, hard-working colleagues who are real experts in their respective fields - Very flexible on WFH and core hours - they realize that employees have lives outside of the office - The Leadership Team are available, communicative and hands-on - Strike an excellent balance of autonomy and support - So. Many. Dogs.

Cons

- Work can ramp up and down quickly, meaning some days might be very quiet while others are extremely busy - this doesn't suit everyone.

4 people found this review helpful

Content & Community Strategy

Great to hear you’ve had such a positive first year at Myplanet (and that you like the growing population of dogs!). You’re absolutely right about the challenges faced in professional services settings like ours: trying to predict and balance project workloads to maintain a steady cadence for everyone isn’t always possible, but we strive to ensure it never goes too far out of whack. Of course, if ever you feel it does, please reach out to the Core Leadership Team and/or your personal growth mentor so they can do their best to respond accordingly.

3. 5.0
      Current Contractor, more than 1 year

Great people, great culture, interesting work. What's not to love?

Aug 23, 2019 - Product Strategist
      Business Outlook

Pros

- Great CEO and leadership team that actually cares about employees - Amazing work culture and opportunities to work on interesting projects - Transparency and expectations setup from the beginning

Cons

- Have to fight for allocation of developers and designers sometimes

4. 2.0
      Former Employee

Young, Vibrant Company.. Lacking Direction and Leadership

Apr 27, 2015 - Anonymous Employee in Toronto, ON
      Business Outlook

Pros

- Pretty flexible for work hours, work from home if not feeling well, standard benefits, vacation - They have a lot of young, talented people working there - Office activities and parties

Cons

-The company is young, and so is the leadership team. This is fine, but there is a huge lack of leadership across the entire organization. Mistakes were made, but not learned from, and would continually be made over and over again. This I think is there biggest downfall because it created tension, stress and lots of wasteful meetings. Having a flat org is great to promote ownership across the startup teams, but when I was in need of help I didn't know who to ask. - Even though they promote flexible work hours, they have a problem with having any type of boundaries for work-life balance. There was always this expectation that you would be online even "after hours" to answer messages. Even on vacation I felt obligated to check my e-mails once and a while. If you have anything going on outside of work, beware that you'll probably spend many late nights at the office. It's the norm. - The culture at Myplanet suffered after they went on a hiring spree. They were growing too quickly and having a hard time maintaining a good culture. Once you get a couple bad eggs, it can spread throughout the whole org. A lot of things like "hack days" and "beer fridays" were just forgotten about because everyone was so busy.

5 people found this review helpful

CEO

Thank-you for leaving your review, as well as your constructive feedback. It sounds as though our evolution in 2014 (including changes to our organization structure, sales method and offerings) did not lead to the employment experience that we value. We are aware of targeted cases where this was the case and have, as of Q2 2015, rectified most. This has included the hiring and appointment of key leadership roles within our new org structure, codifying new and more scalable work groups and routines to ensure sharing of knowledge, shoring up our screening for culture fit during interviews and onboarding, and reinforcing our performance feedback and Professional Development meetings. As we are getting back into more normal routines this has also meant a return of our social and team events (time for me to head to Beer O’Clock), mindfulness training and more stability in work hours. If there is more that you feel we can be doing, please do reach out to me personally.

5. 5.0
      Current Employee

Inspiring leaders and smart employees

Nov 2, 2017 - Anonymous Employee in Toronto, ON
      Business Outlook

Pros

- The smartest people I’ve ever worked with, always willing to help and share their knowledge. - The leadership team is a group of passionate and intelligent people who really do care about their employees. - There is a competency model the company uses to evaluate employees, 360 reviews, biweekly professional development meetings and other frameworks in place to help you grow in your desired career path. - The work is challenging and fun, the company's initiatives in new technologies, smart interfaces and AI is super exciting. - The leadership is transparent and open. There are quarterly meetings to communicate company's direction and strategies. - The company culture around constantly making improvements to processes and operations is very encouraging. - Small but really appreciated: All desks can be adjusted to be standing desks!

Cons

Nothing major stands out to me but an area of improvement could be enhancing the breakout/collaboration spaces so they better facilitate myplanet's co-working culture.

2 people found this review helpful

CEO

Thank-you so much for taking the time to post your review. We always like to say that the people at Myplanet are the number one perk. :) We're really glad that you agree. We are also very excited by the progressive work our team is completing around smarter interfaces and AI. We have an opportunity to be a true leader in this domain. I've added your suggestion around targeted upgrades to our collaboration spaces to the Monday meeting I have with our Directors. I agree, there are some simple changes we can make here that can make a difference. If you have any specific requests please do message me.

6. 5.0
      Current Employee, more than 8 years

Growth-focused, talent-driven. Company for people who want to be people

Oct 23, 2017 - Senior Software Developer in Toronto, ON
      Business Outlook

Pros

Myplanet's greatest strength are the people at the company. The talent level is very high and everyone is friendly and collaborative. The level of emotional intelligence is high. Projects are self-organizing and driven by the team members. The level of engagement and ownership is very high as a result. The biggest thing about Myplanet is that I like the people I work with. I like the work we do. I have autonomy over how we do it. And I feel like I'm empowered to do the best I can. The company is dedicated to fostering an open culture. You can actually tell the C-level leadership what you think and they will listen. During company status meetings there are multiple venues to ask questions to accommodate different communication styles and locations. There's also plenty of 1-on-1 mentorship and syncs. The company also actively considers diversity and has a diversity committee to explore how to be more diverse. The leadership team has stumbled in the past but has found it's way more recently. The open and iterative approach to leadership has definitely yielded results. In addition, more support is being offered by the extended leadership team than in the past. The path of advancement has been clarified and they are very clear in what kinds of people in different leadership roles.

Cons

Seniority isn't really a way to get your way here. It's a strong meritocracy. You need to be both strong technically, and an effective and empathetic communicator to be able to influence your team mates. You need to be able to explain why your decisions are correct while being respectful and collaborative. I wouldn't say this is a "drawback" necessarily, but for people coming in who expect to have a more traditional culture, it can be a shock. Another downside is that projects can "follow you around". The nature of services is that you're doing something new 1-2 times per year, which is great for keeping it fresh. However, if you're a crucial person to the project then you can get pulled back into support it in exceptional circumstances (which affects your current commitments). The company has a support team which is supposed to handle these kinds of things, but it's still improving.

4 people found this review helpful

CEO

We really appreciate the time you spent to write this review. You've called out a number of the hallmarks of the Myplanet experience, traits that we have (and continue to) reinforce and improve upon. We like to call it a culture of makers, collaborators and entrepreneurs. For team members who are joining, they are sometimes shocked that seniority doesn't carry as much substance as they might expect from other workplaces. We will indeed continue to challenge for not just seniority, but also substance and strong communication. We believe that makes everyone stronger. We will continue to make hand-offs to our support team cleaner, not just to ensure focus for our team members, but also the fastest response time for our customers who have support contracts. With respect to growing and retaining our strongest talent, this remains an absolute priority. Please do ping me on Slack, via e-mail or join this week's Morning Coffee (AMA) to ask what we have planned around talent retention. I'd love to hear any feedback you might have.

7. 5.0
      Current Employee

Really on a roll, so proud to be a part of this team

Oct 23, 2018 - Anonymous Employee
      Business Outlook

Pros

I love my team. I'm proud to be part of a company that's at the leading edge of how technology will change how we work. The leadership has successfully transitioned many incoming projects to have a heavy emphasis on data and AI, and they have built one of the leading Voice / Conversation practice areas in North America. The team tends to be modest, but they have amassed an impressive customer roster comprised of the top tech companies and brands. The focus on Smarter Interfaces seems to be paying off. The company has been growing consistently and recently raised funding. I love my colleagues, and it's been years since I've been this energized by my work. Katie, Jada and the hiring team have really refined the hiring process, so those that do join are of a high calibre. These people are surprisingly cross-disciplinary... Myplanet is the first place I've worked where design, engineering and product really respect each other and collaborate. I also appreciate the significant effort put into creating an inclusive and accessible workplace. When I need time with family, my team empathizes and works with me to accommodate. I was able to attend the Myplanet Mind training program since I joined, and mindfulness is now a part of my daily routines. The company invests heavily in professional development, mentorship, and has established clear career paths that give me choices.

Cons

Never enough meeting rooms, though the office expansion should fix that . You need to be comfortable working in a cross-functional team. If you prefer working on your own, Myplanet may not be the right choice for you. The leadership team is very busy and so you need to be good at working with your team and troubleshooting on your own. Performance reviews give great feedback, but often arrive a month or two late.

1 person found this review helpful

CEO

This kind of feedback makes me so happy: “I love my colleagues, and it's been years since I've been this energized by my work.” Our vision is to re-energize how people connect in the workplace and we firmly believe that starts here in our own workplace. I’m feeling re-energized just reading that! You mention leadership time is tough to come by, and you’re right, it’s a small team and as the company grows are time gets spread across more and more people. But it’s also by design: we want our teams to feel empowered to make decisions and, as you say, “troubleshoot on [their] own”. Leadership doesn’t have to come from someone with a more senior title! I truly believe that anyone in any role can be a leader and our growth style and company structure has always been in service of that belief. I’ve often found the best way to foster leadership is to give people the chance to do it. It’s part of why there’s such a heavy emphasis on collaboration, as well. That said, if you’re ever feeling like you’d like more support feel free to reach out to myself or your Professional Development Mentor or Supervisor and we’ll work to make sure you’re getting the support you need.

8. 5.0
      Current Contractor, less than 1 year

Really nice place to work and be part of a team

Oct 16, 2017 - Devops Engineer in Toronto, ON
      Business Outlook

Pros

- TeamWork - Leadership Team - Environment - Mission - Vision - Strategy - Culture I'd like to recommend this company to anyone that would like to have a good work-life-balance and enjoy an outstanding place to play as hard as you can and helping each other to achieve success as a team.

Cons

I could not see any cons point so far.

9. 5.0

Great place to work at

Oct 11, 2017 - Anonymous Employee
      Business Outlook

Pros

- really smart co-workers - ambitious leadership team who are also very open to inputs - a lot of potential to grow - the company actually cares about their employees

Cons

- the last few years, the growth has been limited BUT that is changing now - the long-term strategy/ vision of the company is unclear sometimes

3 people found this review helpful
    10. 5.0
      Former Employee

Great work environment

Jan 18, 2017 - Anonymous Employee
      Business Outlook

Pros

- Everyone at the company enjoys working with one another - Lots of room to grow and opportunity to work on a variety of projects - Leadership team keen on helping each team member grow (with budget on conferences and professional development) - Flexible work from home policies - Great office!

Cons

- Company direction wasn't clear at times

2 people found this review helpful

CEO

Thank-you so much for your review. I'm fortunate to work as part of a leadership team that's exceptionally dedicated to the growth of their team members. It's great to see that you have recognized the calibre of the team members we bring onboard. As we scale Myplanet, we remain focused on making smarter interfaces for the workplace. We're a software studio, and know this is an important challenge our rare blend of designers and developers can solve.

Viewing 1 - 10 of 12 Reviews