Myriad Genetics Patient Advocate Reviews | Glassdoor

Myriad Genetics CEO Mark C. Capone
Mark C. Capone
  1. "Great Place"

I have been working at Myriad Genetics full-time for less than a year

Pros

Lots of time off

Cons

A lot to learn in a short time

Myriad Genetics2019-04-08

"Work that makes a difference in patients lives!"

I have been working at Myriad Genetics full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Benefits are competitive. They make work life balance flexible. Easy to get days off. By testing DNA for cancer causing gene mutations we help patients get the results they need and our work helps their families generations. Very fulfilling.

Cons

I wish there was a work from home option!!!

Myriad Genetics2019-05-30
  3. Create your profile to get personalized information

4. "Wonderful Place"

I have been working at Myriad Genetics full-time for less than a year

Pros

The people are great, the job is easy, food provided regularly, competitive pay

Cons

PTO/Sick time policy could use some work.

Myriad Genetics2019-04-05
  5. "Great on Paper. Will Take Your Joy Away."

Former Employee - Patient Advocate in Salt Lake City, UT

I worked at Myriad Genetics full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Pay and benefits were good.

Cons

You are a number. Employee morale is not a priority.

Myriad Genetics2019-02-05

"Patient Advocates Need Not Apply"

Former Employee - Patient Advocate

I worked at Myriad Genetics full-time

Pros

Toward the end, I was having such a negative experience, that I really can't name many. They used to take care of employees with the bonus structure that was in place, but that isn't the case anymore. Profit-share, performance, and xmas bonus have been cut every year for many years now. I've watched co-workers in tears because they relied on a bonus that used to be there that wasn't anymore.

Cons

Micromanagement, lack of empathy from management, constantly asking for more from employees without corresponding compensation. They recently cut back in EVERY. BONUS. CATEGORY. Rumors about the highest members of management being investigated for insider trading - funny too, because their lack of faith in THEIR OWN COMPANY caused us all to lose massive amounts of money in stocks. HR loves to talk about the CDP... which only works if you have a supervisor that is willing to help you. The patient advocate supervisors that are truly good are few and far between. The rest are so stressed out by the expectations from their own managers, that they have to micromanage and make their teams lives a living hell in order to meet metrics. Can't tell you how many times I could do something completely correctly and still get docked and still get feedback about "how I could improve". If you're employees are doing a good job, why not just tell them that? Let them feel good for a modicum of a second? Nope, not here. No good feelings, I'm glad to have moved on. I've since heard about changes since I left and I am so grateful I left when I did. No silver lining, no dawn on the horizon.

Advice to Management

You don't care about your employees, so I really cannot offer you any advice. I gave you many years of dedicated service and have nothing to show for it. Thanks for nothing.

Myriad Genetics2017-08-14

"Patient Advocate"

Former Employee - Patient Advocate in Salt Lake City, UT

I worked at Myriad Genetics full-time

Pros

Benefits are GREAT. Salary is decent as well.

Cons

Immeadiate Supervisor's tend to be clickish. Does not support Team staff. The system there is to protect the Supervisor's. Not to take seriously the Supporting staff.

Advice to Management

Look @ History of every Team member's leaving. And address this further with immediate supervisor. Make sure this is positively addressed with the Team. And Supervisor. Since all have left for the same reasons.

Myriad Genetics2016-06-27

"Too much stress, not enough pay"

Patient Advocate in Salt Lake City, UT

I worked at Myriad Genetics

Pros

Amazing benefits (Insurance, maternity, etc etc)

Cons

Myriad Genetics is a genetic testing company who gets test requests sent in from all over the country and you have to submit an auth request to the patients insurance plan to request monetary coverage for the test. The pay is far below standard for the amount of work they expect you to perform. Your day consists of getting to work and assessing your "list" for the day. Your list is the cases you need to address and... provide follow up for. That could entail calling an insurance company and waiting on hold for 1+ hours just to ask for the status on an authorization case for services, you could need to call the Dr who ordered testing to get clarifying information just to get told to stop calling or that they are sick of you calling (they are the one who ordered the test?), calling the patient to get insurance info etc etc. You can have anywhere from 25-70 cases you need to follow up on. IN ADDITION TO THAT, while you work your boss may decide to add more cases to your list from someone elses list from a completely different territory so you have no idea what you are doing since different territories have different insurance companies with different processing rules, so when you have completed about 50 cases and you think you are almost done, you refresh your list and then another 30-40 cases pop up and you will only have 2 hours left in your shift to complete those additional cases. All while not knowing what you are doing since you arent familiar with those insurances or territories. If you dont finish your list you are scolded, demeaned, talked about (while you are in ear shot), made to have others turn against you, humiliated- the list goes on. So when you bring that topic up in a meeting you are pretty much told to "be quiet and if you dont like it then you can leave".The amount of stress is NOT worth the money. They do not care AT ALL about their employees and nobody is on the same page. You will be told one thing by a manager and will do it that way and then be written up by a different manager. It is stressful beyond measure and the gossip is RELENTLESS in that place. I saw many people crying in bathrooms and hallways. Many people left during the one year I was there. It was total chaos.

Advice to Management

Care more about employees and less about numbers. Teach everybody the correct way to do the job so people arent making so many mistakes. Offer a training class where useful policies are taught and dont devote an entire WEEK to dumb customer service training. Also when you talk gossip to one another, you should really AT LEAST close your office doors so the people on the floor cant hear you. It does absolutely... nothing for team morale to talk trash about employees.

Myriad Genetics2016-07-05

"Myriad has so much potential"

Patient Advocate in Salt Lake City, UT

I have been working at Myriad Genetics for more than a year

Pros

The genetic testing done at Myriad is important and can be life saving! The research they do is unparalleled.

Cons

There is a lot of turnover at Myriad. The tests they perform are state of the art but their business management is outdated. I feel like I'm working in 1995. There are too many employees for the building and not room in the break room (the fridge is overflowing) and not enough parking. Despite working in the healthcare industry, they offer NO sick time. Some management at Myriad is extremely unprofessional and... catty.

Advice to Management

You say that your main priority is the patient but you don't take good care of your employees so they'll want to stay and take care of the patients. You need to focus on giving employees a work/life balance (sick time). You need to update your facility to make it a comfortable and positive looking environment. (Replace the old carpet and add a colored paint to the walls) Think about offering a work from home option.... We all know the building is bursting at the seams.

Myriad Genetics2016-05-24

"Dead-End Job with no promotion ability, may just be my field"

Current Employee - Patient Advocate in Salt Lake City, UT

I have been working at Myriad Genetics full-time for more than a year

Pros

Decent benefits, good hours, the company itself does a good thing for society

Cons

I was told upon being hired that I could move up/move to the Marketing Department after 9 months if they happened to be hiring in Marketing at that time. I took this job basically right out of college with little real world experience, but needed the money, so I shot my chances of getting Marketing experience with the hopes I could transfer after 9 months. 2 years later, HR offers no real help other than to "keep... checking the job postings" and does not hire Marketing employees from within. They hire Marketing people with experience. I basically need to start over so I can get on a career path that doesn't limit me to $35 K a year and is actually in the field I want to go into.

Advice to Management

Actually engage with your employees who are looking to build a career with Myriad. I don't want to leave, but you forced me out. I was overqualified when you hired me, you should have just been straight with me and told me that I can't move up without real-world experience, and that my qualifications alone wouldn't be enough for me to move up.

Myriad Genetics2014-08-20

"Profit over people, if that wasn't already famous."

I have been working at Myriad Genetics full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

You help cancer patients get access to a really expensive genetic test.

Cons

Management treats employees like slaves. This includes mandatory overtime on weekends. It's a pretty counterproductive idea as employees are miserable already. Sorry about your family life, but it's the end of the quarter and we need $$$$.

Advice to Management

Figure out where you actually lose revenue. Look deeper in your processes. A lot of improvement needs to be made. A lot of waste happens due to 20 years of hiring bad employees and not caring, but it's time for a makeover. Do YOU know what's going on in customer service? Do YOU know what's causing tests to be cancelled? Do you know what it takes to get a test paid for?

Myriad Genetics2014-09-13