Myriad Genetics Reviews | Glassdoor

Myriad Genetics President/CEO Mark C. Capone
Mark C. Capone

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • Upper management seems take take credit for ideas that wasn't there's (in 13 reviews)

• I didn't feel there was a very good work/life balance (in 4 reviews)

"A Poorly Concealed Iceberg Collision"

Former Employee - Calibration Technician in Salt Lake City, UT
    Former Employee - Calibration Technician in Salt Lake City, UT

I worked at Myriad Genetics full-time (More than a year)

Pros

There is a certain camaraderie in being treated as small, replaceable cogs in a machine with a history rich in questionable ethics. The schedule can be nice if you are willing to get paid less than full time and less than competitive market wages. Benefits have been in steady decline and the supposed forecast from the ivory tower is grim.

Cons

Middle management is too engaged in political theater to effectively do their job. Data itself is politicized and treated as hostages for brownie points with the boss. Upper management literally refer to technicians as "head's", as in: "We need to chop more heads this quarter". The production side of the company is systemically underpaid compared to both state and national averages. The ensuing environment is incredibly toxic and highly prone to political behavior that is appallingly counterproductive.

Advice to Management

Your shortsighted business practices are unsustainable in the long term. The free market can and will catch up to the seventeen year unconstitutional head start on genetic data you bought yourself through aggressive litigation; Myriad has been anything but a lean operation.

2. "Patient Advocates Need Not Apply"

Former Employee - Patient Advocate
    Former Employee - Patient Advocate

I worked at Myriad Genetics full-time

Pros

Toward the end, I was having such a negative experience, that I really can't name many. They used to take care of employees with the bonus structure that was in place, but that isn't the case anymore. Profit-share, performance, and xmas bonus have been cut every year for many years now. I've watched co-workers in tears because they relied on a bonus that used to be there that wasn't anymore.

Cons

Micromanagement, lack of empathy from management, constantly asking for more from employees without corresponding compensation. They recently cut back in EVERY. BONUS. CATEGORY. Rumors about the highest members of management being investigated for insider trading - funny too, because their lack of faith in THEIR OWN COMPANY caused us all to lose massive amounts of money in stocks. HR loves to talk about the CDP which only works if you have a supervisor that is willing to help you. The patient advocate supervisors that are truly good are few and far between. The rest are so stressed out by the expectations from their own managers, that they have to micromanage and make their teams lives a living hell in order to meet metrics. Can't tell you how many times I could do something completely correctly and still get docked and still get feedback about "how I could improve". If you're employees are doing a good job, why not just tell them that? Let them feel good for a modicum of a second? Nope, not here. No good feelings, I'm glad to have moved on. I've since heard about changes since I left and I am so grateful I left when I did. No silver lining, no dawn on the horizon.

Advice to Management

You don't care about your employees, so I really cannot offer you any advice. I gave you many years of dedicated service and have nothing to show for it. Thanks for nothing.

"Very Frustrating Place to Work"

Former Employee - Lab Technician in Salt Lake City, UT
    Former Employee - Lab Technician in Salt Lake City, UT

I worked at Myriad Genetics full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good immediate group of coworkers! Great health care options, with a low copay! Lots of free coffee! Three 12 hour shifts lead to a long weekend!

Cons

This place is very turbulent, everyday I walked into work they were expecting to get more out of me while at the same time they would try and do less on my behalf. There was really no long term incentives or motivation for taking on extra work either. There was also no accountability, and the poor performers were never addressed so a select few ended up doing most of the work. Anything but a meritocracy at Myriad Genetics! The pay was quite low, as they advertise that most of their entry level jobs only need a high school diploma, but in reality their regulating agencies required a college degree .
     This is all so they could claim that they pay well above industry standards, for a high school graduate that is (they only hired college graduates for all the positions that I was aware of). There is a general feeling of hostility toward their lower level employees that was so so strange! It was said several times that if you don't like something, find a different place to work! They were not trying to change their ways as far as I could tell.

Advice to Management

Treat your employees better! Especially the lab employees, as it is their daily work that you are selling!! Pay better, and reward the people that work hard! Use real real metrics and not political nominations and word of mouth to rate your employees! Management is way too out of touch for a company of only 1800 employees. You must familiarize yourselves with the plights of the people you have working for you, and then do something to address those problems!

"Patient Service Coordinator"

Former Employee - Patient Service Trainer in Salt Lake City, UT
    Former Employee - Patient Service Trainer in Salt Lake City, UT

I worked at Myriad Genetics full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Only the insurance coverage which you will receive the same at any other company at Research Park.

Cons

There is no respect given to any employee that does not have a science degree above BA

Advice to Management

Quit weeding out your best and longstanding employees. If I could rate this review less than one star (the review requires a rating) then it would be -5

"Myriad's management promotes their favorites."

Pros

Nothing anymore. Myriad used to be a good company to work at. New management has taken away all the perks we used to get.

Cons

No work/life balance. We are told there is no money in the budget to hire help, although we see other areas getting new employees. Some employees will threaten to leave and immediately will get a huge pay raise. However, if you are a loyal employee and you work hard, you will NOT get promoted. If you are a new employee, you get paid better than an employee that has shown loyalty to the company for years.

Advice to Management

Value your long term employees. Morale is the worst it has ever been. Employees are really disgruntled about the executive leadership that is there to support them.

One last comment, it seems certain reviews disappear from Glassdoor. Makes you wonder what kind of a deal Myriad has going on with Glassdoor....

Myriad Genetics Response

Jan 17, 2017 – EVP HR

Thank you for submitting your feedback. We choose to use our financial resources to benefit patients -- rather than on extravagance and firvolity. Everyone plays an equally vital role at Myriad... More

"Nightmare of a Place"

Current Employee - Research Associate II in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Research Associate II in Austin, TX

I have been working at Myriad Genetics full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

They provide free food every couple of weeks.

Cons

A truly awful and frustrating experience at the Austin facility (RBM). Heavy micro-managers, want to know the work you do, to the hour. They encourage you to ask questions but then say you are not understanding things well enough when you ask questions. Supervisors have unrealistic expectations not meshing with their mess of a training program or with what other labs teach. I feel like my supervisor is never on my side; I was given a false image of the situation during the interview.

Advice to Management

The company's philosophy is "Fill the Pipeline. Pay our way" which is what it sounds and exactly the reason why you want to be in biotech I'm sure...

"Too much stress, not enough pay"

Former Employee - Patient Advocate in Salt Lake City, UT
    Former Employee - Patient Advocate in Salt Lake City, UT

Pros

Amazing benefits (Insurance, maternity, etc etc)

Cons

Myriad Genetics is a genetic testing company who gets test requests sent in from all over the country and you have to submit an auth request to the patients insurance plan to request monetary coverage for the test. The pay is far below standard for the amount of work they expect you to perform. Your day consists of getting to work and assessing your "list" for the day. Your list is the cases you need to address and provide follow up for. That could entail calling an insurance company and waiting on hold for 1+ hours just to ask for the status on an authorization case for services, you could need to call the Dr who ordered testing to get clarifying information just to get told to stop calling or that they are sick of you calling (they are the one who ordered the test?), calling the patient to get insurance info etc etc. You can have anywhere from 25-70 cases you need to follow up on. IN ADDITION TO THAT, while you work your boss may decide to add more cases to your list from someone elses list from a completely different territory so you have no idea what you are doing since different territories have different insurance companies with different processing rules, so when you have completed about 50 cases and you think you are almost done, you refresh your list and then another 30-40 cases pop up and you will only have 2 hours left in your shift to complete those additional cases. All while not knowing what you are doing since you arent familiar with those insurances or territories. If you dont finish your list you are scolded, demeaned, talked about (while you are in ear shot), made to have others turn against you, humiliated- the list goes on. So when you bring that topic up in a meeting you are pretty much told to "be quiet and if you dont like it then you can leave".The amount of stress is NOT worth the money. They do not care AT ALL about their employees and nobody is on the same page. You will be told one thing by a manager and will do it that way and then be written up by a different manager. It is stressful beyond measure and the gossip is RELENTLESS in that place. I saw many people crying in bathrooms and hallways. Many people left during the one year I was there. It was total chaos.

Advice to Management

Care more about employees and less about numbers. Teach everybody the correct way to do the job so people arent making so many mistakes. Offer a training class where useful policies are taught and dont devote an entire WEEK to dumb customer service training. Also when you talk gossip to one another, you should really AT LEAST close your office doors so the people on the floor cant hear you. It does absolutely nothing for team morale to talk trash about employees.

"check out the fake generic positive five star reviews in May and June of 2016."

Pros

check out the fake generic positive five star reviews in May and June of 2016. This pretty much sums the situation at Myriad. They are willing to enter in fake review into Glassdoor to improve their image. Do you want to work for a company that is willing to do this? What does that ultimately say about them? Do you think they will treat you fairly once hired? Do you trust them to be honest on a review when they are willing to be dishonest on Glassdoor?

Cons

management cannot be trusted. HR is completely biased toward management and clueless in job requirements. management is also home grown so it's often that the guy that used to manage the network there ten years ago may be the VP now. do you really want to work for a company where the VP level is still making mistakes to learn the job and firing those that get caught in the crossfire?

Advice to Management

have some ethics

"Profit over people, if that wasn't already famous."

Current Employee - Patient Advocate in Salt Lake City, UT
    Current Employee - Patient Advocate in Salt Lake City, UT

I have been working at Myriad Genetics full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

You help cancer patients get access to a really expensive genetic test.

Cons

Management treats employees like slaves. This includes mandatory overtime on weekends. It's a pretty counterproductive idea as employees are miserable already. Sorry about your family life, but it's the end of the quarter and we need $$$$.

Advice to Management

Figure out where you actually lose revenue. Look deeper in your processes. A lot of improvement needs to be made. A lot of waste happens due to 20 years of hiring bad employees and not caring, but it's time for a makeover. Do YOU know what's going on in customer service? Do YOU know what's causing tests to be cancelled? Do you know what it takes to get a test paid for?

"Headed on a downward spiral."

Current Employee - Patient Service Coordinator in Salt Lake City, UT
    Current Employee - Patient Service Coordinator in Salt Lake City, UT

I have been working at Myriad Genetics full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I agree with the below comment; the view of the mountains.

Cons

-Bureaucratic structure with layers of management - from regional managers to department managers down to team supervisors. This, along with mandates for compliance, takes precedence over doing the right thing. It discourages change and cripples improvement. You may ask "Why do we do it this way?" The answer is often, "We've always done it this way." Forget creativity. Forget talent. Forget improvement.

-Micromanagement is crazy and is implemented with a command and control leadership style. Employees are treated like numbers. No one cares if you fall off the face of the earth. You're replaceable. We don't need you.

-Bonuses and rewards are given equally to everyone. And tenure precedes performance. Just another way to promote mediocrity and high turnover.

-Because management is so stuck in the past and resistant to changes, lots of processes (basically anything done on the phone or computer) is outdated. This is 2013, not 1992!!

Advice to Management

Tenure Suppresses Talent:

Just because “Employee A” has performed a task longer than “Employee B” doesn’t necessarily mean that “A” is more skilled than “B.” Furthermore, just because “A” has been with the company longer than “B”, doesn’t necessarily mean that “A” possesses more talent, upside, knowledge, or adds more value than “B.” When an organization promotes based upon tenure, and not based upon recognition of talent, merit, performance, etc., the company is not leveraging its true talent base. Not recognizing, developing, and rewarding talent is the fastest way I know of to drive talent out of your organization and directly into the hands of your competition.