Myriad Genetics Reviews | Glassdoor

Myriad Genetics President/CEO Mark C. Capone
Mark C. Capone

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • Upper management seems take take credit for ideas that wasn't there's (in 13 reviews)

• I didn't feel there was a very good work/life balance (in 4 reviews)

"In decline"

I have been working at Myriad Genetics full-time

Pros

At the forefront of the industry

Cons

Executive team not fully transparent
    Diversifying into areas with little to no reimbursement
    Organization undergoing extensive cost-cutting

"Customer Care Specialist"

Current Employee - Customer Care Account Services Specialist in Salt Lake City, UT

I have been working at Myriad Genetics full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Flexible hours, good insurance benefits, employee stock and bonus structure is a pluis

Cons

Poor leadership by upper management, unreasonable expectations for personal workload and management doesn't listen to employee feedback for process improvement. Hard to be promoted on move up internally. No career tracks.

Advice to Management

Add career tracks for people with degrees that don't want to be in a management position. Find ways to break up the communication silos.

Myriad Genetics Response

Aug 18, 2017 – EVP HR

Thank you for sharing your recent post. You may not be aware but we are doing some great work around career paths within Customer Service. In addition to this work, we create opportunities for... More

"Uncertain times"

Current Employee - Lab Technician in Salt Lake City, UT
    Current Employee - Lab Technician in Salt Lake City, UT

I have been working at Myriad Genetics full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great views of the valley from work.

Cons

Senior management poorly implements "Lean" production. This leads to poor moral from middle management all the way down.

Opportunities to grow upward in the company are very sparse.

Management has no problem volun-telling employees they have to work another shift. For example day to graveyard or a completely different lab.

Advice to Management

Stop leading out of fear/desperation, due to falling stock prices. If the company plans on prospering, then lead with confidence.

If you're going to implement "Lean" production then really implement it. Don't make the classic mistake (see "The Toyota Way") of simply doing cafeteria style implementation, where you just pick and choose the parts you want to use. It's been shown over and over again to be un-effective and leads to poor moral.

Myriad Genetics Response

Jul 31, 2017 – EVP HR

Thank you for your post and for your recommendations to management. It sounds like you have some ideas for implementing "Lean" operation that we hope you will share with your direct manager so we... More

"Passive Aggressive Management"

Former Employee - Software Development Engineer in Salt Lake City, UT
    Former Employee - Software Development Engineer in Salt Lake City, UT

I worked at Myriad Genetics full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I've always wanted to work for a company that can help save lives, and I think Myriad is that kind of company. Most people are committed to doing good. I'll miss my co-workers.

Cons

My manager had a passive-aggressive leadership style that left me wondering if I was going to be promoted or demoted, regardless of my work. I would get physically sick thinking about going into work every morning.

When I skip-leveled my concern, I was told not to talk to about it with others or report it to HR. He "suggested" I look for a new job, and that it didn't matter that I never missed a day of work, got along great with others and had a positive year-end review.

Advice to Management

Software developers may be less important than the lab techs, but that doesn't' mean we should work under bad management and be afraid to come into work.

"Struggling to keep up"

Current Employee - N/A
    Current Employee - N/A

I have been working at Myriad Genetics full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

great health insurance, health-minded company w/ workout room, healthy food choices, good work-life balance for most

Cons

management feels very directionless right now. scrambling for lots of quick wins instead of looking at long term plans. Morale is pretty low right now and it's hard to get a sense of what the long term plan is at Myriad. Promotions are hard to get unless you are in sales or part of a business unit. Salary isn't very competitive for a lot of positions here and it's hard to get a decent raise once you're in.

Advice to Management

Be more competitive with salaries and promote more people from a variety of departments. More training for managers so they can better mentor and coach their employees.

"Undervalued unless you're in the right department"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Salt Lake City, UT
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Salt Lake City, UT

I have been working at Myriad Genetics full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Myriad offers good health benefits, an onsite gym, healthy food options, and tuition reimbursement for their employees. decent pay as well.

Cons

Very little value unless you're higher up in management, or a more "valuable" department. very little value to the employees shown through ability to move up in the company, get raises, promotions, etc. after 3 years of work, there has been very little opportunity for advancement. Management is under trained, and often expects their employees to pick up the slack for jobs they aren't paid for.

7. "Lab Technician"

Pros

Some easy going coworkers made it bearable.

Cons

Low pay, bad management. Many supervisors protected by seniority.

"Lab Technician"

I have been working at Myriad Genetics full-time

Pros

Good Health benefits, though dwindling

Cons

Lower pay scale, prevalent red tape, slow adaptation, responsiveness to concerns slow

Advice to Management

Care about people, not just your bottom like

"Break into Oncology and then move on"

Former Employee - Oncology Account Executive
    Former Employee - Oncology Account Executive

I worked at Myriad Genetics full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

They will (and want) to hire account executives with zero oncology experience. This allows people to break into oncology. They will train you well.

Benefits are great. Great work life balance. The mission is good- and people believe in it. The testing is absolutely best in class. This is a great place for someone looking to jumpstart a lab sales/oncology career.

Cons

Sadly, if you stay for an extended period of time you will find that Myriad pays low salaries compared to rest of industry. This used to be made up for by consistently doubling (or close to doubling) salary in commission, however that is essentially impossible now due to changes in compensation structure, contracting issues and market saturation.

Leadership is completely oblivious to the mass exodus that has happened in the oncology sales force. Either oblivious or they don't care, as most experienced AEs are replaced by new folks with zero genetics or oncology experience.

Leadership arrogantly ignores the current reality of the marketplace. Unrealistic goals, sketchy compensation no longer based of actual sales. Sadly, this is no longer the same place it was years ago.

Advice to Management

Please listen to your field employees and understand the true nature of the market place. How can Myriad expect to win in its most competitive environment ever when most of its experienced folks have left? People are leaving because we feel unvalued, our work load is exponentially increasing with no recognition or increase in pay, and the job is quickly becoming a pharma check the box exercise nightmare. Demanding oncology AEs make 8 calls a day is absolutely unreasonable and unrealistic. Consider paying higher salaries like the rest of the lab industry that are based on cost of living for an AE's specific location. We don't all live in Salt Lake City.

"Great Mission but Misguided Business Model"

I have been working at Myriad Genetics (More than 3 years)

Pros

The mission that the products serve is admirable.

Cons

This is just another pharmaceutical job with a different disguise. Limited scientific training provided to field sales on the algorithm, methodology, clinicals, that support Myriad as being "state of the art" so being able to have any differation discussion with a provider on the competitive difference with other companies is non existent. TExpectation is that you are a gopher getting prior authorization forms filled out for a test that you may or may not get credit for; the role of the genetic counselors could be useful if you have an assertive, clinically data driven individual but most are extremely meek and unwilling to push back when necessary. Many of the individuals doing well are from past pharma companies where they are talented at repeating the same message day in and day out.

Advice to Management

Stop hiring past Pfizer or big Pharma managers that believe they know everything and are unwilling to be creative or allow reps to drive their own business. Not every territory in a region is the same. Realistic quotas given the market is saturated with competitive companies.