Myriad Genetics Reviews | Glassdoor

Rating Trends Rating Trends
Myriad Genetics President/CEO Mark C. Capone
Mark C. Capone

Cons

"Good place to get your start, but then leave if you are a woman!"

Former Employee - Other in Salt Lake City, UT
    Former Employee - Other in Salt Lake City, UT

I worked at Myriad Genetics full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The mission of the company keeps people there even when their compensation should drive them out of the company. That speaks a lot about the mission. Workers believe in the life saving mission of the company, and in the quality of the work being done.

Great benefits.

Cons

It is unclear whether or not upper management believes in the mission of the company as much as the regular every day worker. I know at the end of the day it is all business, but it is disheartening when leadership clearly have the almighty dollar in mind, and all the lower level employees are trying to figure out how to best serve the patient in spite of upper management.

Upper management does not reflect the demographics of the rest of the company. Too few women are in upper management.

Advice to Management

LISTEN TO and REWARD your LOWER LEVEL EMPLOYEES ! Your lower level employees have a lot of meaningful opinions and ideas and know what is going on with the customer base and with operations more than upper management in most cases. Get down in the trenches. Don't trust the filtered assessments given only in the board room.

And what is up with the boys club in upper management?! For a company mostly built on women's health, why such paltry representation of women in upper management? The few women there are in upper management seem to be tasked to do the majority of the company's internal dirty work. Clearly those few women in leadership are being forced to toe the line so as to be accepted by the male execs. I imagine those women have worked too hard to jeopardize their positions by pushing back too hard. Heck, it took them 20+ years to get to their higher level positions when it took most of the men half that time. I highly recommend to management that they bring in an external management consultant group to assess the apparent misogyny in upper management and promotion pathways.

2. "It's ok"

Current Employee - Lab Technician III in Salt Lake City, UT

I have been working at Myriad Genetics full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I get a lot of PTO.
    I get paid well for the amount of work I have to do, but most of the time I don't do a lot of work.

Cons

See pros.
    No one seems to care about us even though the lab makes the rest of the company function.
    The company grew quickly and there was a lot of internal hiring of unqualified people. Out of the managers that I know, very few do an acceptable job.
    A lot of good employees come and go, and some bad ones seem to stick around.

Advice to Management

Communicate better with the people at the bottom. You really need better middle management. Motivate good employees to stay with the company.

"Management in it for themselves"

Former Employee - Account Executive in Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Account Executive in Seattle, WA

I worked at Myriad Genetics full-time

Pros

They will hire Account Execs without Oncology sales experience and training them. Good training program.

Cons

Most management tends to worry about themselves and not of their most important asset, their people.

Advice to Management

Focus more on the success of your employees and your success will follow.

"Account Executive"

Current Employee - Regional Sales Director in Miami, FL
    Current Employee - Regional Sales Director in Miami, FL

I have been working at Myriad Genetics full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

This specific Division has feel of start up. Plan has been achievable. Unlimited budget.

Cons

Company is cheap. Only reimburse miles (no car allowance), Pay is below industry standard for Oncology sales force. Any pharma role pays significantly more, and even many other genetics companies.Responsibilities of role have expanded well beyond AE title without proper compensation or recognition. Not much collaboration across divisions.

Advice to Management

Provide retention bonus to avoid continued attrition. We don't all leave in UTAH. Please adjust per diems for entertainment & travel breakfast/lunch/dinner. Please get an expense management system (spend hours out of field every week completing expenses with 20 year old technology.

"Lab Technician III"

Current Employee - Lab Technician III in Park City, UT
    Current Employee - Lab Technician III in Park City, UT

I have been working at Myriad Genetics (More than 3 years)

Pros

They got a nice gym along with a pool, ping pong, and foos table. Also not terribly stressfull

Cons

They pay less than ARUP and BIOFIRE, poor management, lack of understanding by the chief executives about day to day production. There are some nasty people in upper management I have been referred to my face as nothing but a blue lab coat by the one over my lab.

Advice to Management

More forethought when implementing things, better communication and firing some of the lab managers who don't seem to know what goes on in their lab and regularly degrades people.

"Good place to start"

Current Employee - Lab Technician III in Salt Lake City, UT

Pros

Good place to gain experience. Training available. Great benefits. Flexible hours. Variety of lab environments to work in. Decent beginner pay.

Cons

No room for advancement. Pay does not go up as you improve with experience. Lack of promotions. Highly competitive for any bonus or advancement.

Advice to Management

Better more involved hands on training. Setting up better advancement opportunities. Increase pay to be more competitive and allow for raises.

"Account Executive"

Current Employee - Account Executive in Denver, CO
    Current Employee - Account Executive in Denver, CO

Pros

401K, easy access to physicians based on job description, good management

Cons

Overall compensation continues to lag behind

Advice to Management

Look to promote from within

"Good company with great benefits, but if you're looking for advancement, then you better be willing to outlast everyone"

Current Employee - Lab Technician II in Salt Lake City, UT
    Current Employee - Lab Technician II in Salt Lake City, UT

I have been working at Myriad Genetics full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great benefits
    Friendly people
    Beautiful location
    Close to downtown
    Clean break rooms and bathrooms
    Good workout facility with showers
    Lots of different shifts (day, swing & night) throughout the week.

Cons

Could pay more
    Weird culture of outlasting everyone and making the right friends for advancement.
    Being towards the end of the line, you feel ignored and look past at times.
    Never ask for input from techs.

Advice to Management

Quit giving big raises to VPs and other higher ups, and distribute it to those that need it most.

"Good experience as long as you don't get stuck."

Former Employee - Lab Technician II in Salt Lake City, UT
    Former Employee - Lab Technician II in Salt Lake City, UT

I worked at Myriad Genetics full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great benefits
    Good people
    Good place to work right out of college to gain work experience to help get your next job

Cons

No room to move up as a lab tech
    They don't care about keeping you until you quit
    Experience > competency
    Traffic on foothill

Advice to Management

Promote from within! Some of the lab techs really know what they're doing and love this company. There is some good talent that is moving elsewhere because you want 5 years in the lab before you'll consider someone for a better job.

"Potential to be great but..."

Current Employee - Information Services Tech II in Salt Lake City, UT
    Current Employee - Information Services Tech II in Salt Lake City, UT

I have been working at Myriad Genetics full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

I like my coworkers very much. They are good people and very good at their jobs. Company takes care of their sales people. Expectations of them are usually unrealistic but they continue work and perform well. 12 paid holidays, decent benefits (better than average).

Cons

Management is losing touch with employees. They have many good employees that have been promoted beyond their competency. Company is becoming more and more sales focused. It used to be a very employee friendly environment but that has changed a great deal in the eight years I have worked here.

Advice to Management

Business model seems very old-school. Need to modernize their time-off and work from home policies.