Myriad Genetics Reviews | Glassdoor

Myriad Genetics President/CEO Mark C. Capone
Mark C. Capone

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • Upper management seems take take credit for ideas that wasn't there's (in 13 reviews)

• I didn't feel there was a very good work/life balance (in 4 reviews)

1. "Myriad Lab techs"

I worked at Myriad Genetics full-time

Pros

awesome benefits for low cost. However I heard this changed for 2018

Cons

management needs work. Major favortism going on during my shift but I heard nightshift had the same issues

"Customer Service is a Call Center"

I have been working at Myriad Genetics full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Pay and benefits (although 2018 benefit meeting left a lot to be desired)
    Innovation

Cons

Metrics
    Slow to implement change
    Career Development Program is limited

Advice to Management

Cultivate talent in those that want to stay within company with training beyond initial hire training.
    Verify insurance before starting tests so there are fewer write offs.

"Stock Price Is Up but Work Environment is Down"

I have been working at Myriad Genetics full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Get to work with lots of intelligent, educated, caring people. This company encourages education, and they keep a powerful focus on the patient.

Cons

This used to be a great place to work, but they just slashed our benefits. They are all about the bottom line. Since Pete Meldrum left, the executives care only about the stock price. I will be looking for a new job. Our stock price is doing well and still, they are slashing and cutting. They took away our ESPP, doubled and tripled our premiums, slashed our 401K, upped our deductibles, reduced our yearly pay increases. Also, there just isn't enough PTO. If you (or your child) gets sick, don't plan on a vacation.

Advice to Management

The company got to where it is because of the people who have been dedicated to transforming patient lives. You don't reward those people by reducing their quality of life. Since executive management gets their bonuses based on the stock, they have basically sold out all of the employees who make significantly less in order to satisfy their greed.

"Company invests in you if you invest in them."

Current Employee - Lab Technician in Salt Lake City, UT
    Current Employee - Lab Technician in Salt Lake City, UT

I have been working at Myriad Genetics full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good pay for a entry level position.

Cons

It does take a good amount of investing to build trust with upper management - which is understandable. They have a high turn-over rate.

"Laboratory Technician"

I have been working at Myriad Genetics full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The company provides good benefits.

Cons

There is no upward mobility.

Advice to Management

Care about your employees more.

"Meh Myriad"

Current Employee - Reimbursement Specialist in Salt Lake City, UT
    Current Employee - Reimbursement Specialist in Salt Lake City, UT

I have been working at Myriad Genetics full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Co-workers and Supervisors are all great

Cons

Upper management doesn't really seem to care about moral, CEO has spread the company too thin and has started taking away the amazing perks that made Myriad worth working for. It went from a Career to a Job

Advice to Management

Watch the moral in every department. We know the customers matter but managements job is to make sure the employees matter and Myriad doesn't do that very well.

"Good and Bad"

I have been working at Myriad Genetics full-time

Pros

Good People, Fun and regular company activities, great benefits

Cons

Pay could be better, difficult to progress through ranks

"Unaccountable, but easy work"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Salt Lake City, UT
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Salt Lake City, UT

I worked at Myriad Genetics full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I enjoyed my job and my work at myriad. The science is good. Upper management seems OK. Many of the lower tier supervisers make a great effort with very little provided. It looks good on a resume. Labs and Process Engineering make a strong effort to standardize, improve and be consistent. In my opinion, compared to other companies, Myriad isn't as bad, isn't as corrupt (since losing their patent), and many employees have good morals.

Cons

I won't shy away from this, at the Salt Lake City location I easily saw promotions and hires preferentially to those with families and faith. As if having a family means you deserve higher pay or 'the fast track.'
    In 2017, the insurance premium doubled. Don't get me wrong, it's great insurance, but they increased the cost to employees because their profit was lower than projections.
    There is a lot of employee turnover.
    Unrealistic understanding of modern salaries and basic standard of living. Workload is always high, as they merge and cut departments to ensure they don't overstaff... But overtime is frowned upon, so improvement projects do not get done.
    It's pretty clear that recent negatives reviews have spurred management to encourage positive reviews from choice happy employees, and to selectively respond only to positive reviews.
    Rather then thinking forward and preventing problems, I saw management as reactionary, and like to "slam down" once a problem occurs, and find someone to blame. The company makes legal mistakes that cost them money. Managers are old, patriarchal, and not aware of new standards to motivate employees.
    The review process, which is only once a year, is completely subjective, determined, and based on employees setting their own goals and reaching them. Their goals are often hard to complete since it requires coordination, and interdepartmental communication is weak. This leads to low hanging fruit for goals. The direct supervisor is the only one with an influence on the ranking, 1-5. Sometimes, only a few 1's and 2's are allowed out per department or shift, and the best rankings often given by seniority or employees the supervisors know best. This biases against new hires, leaves everyone else to bad rankings, a decreased raise, and the inability to be promoted.
    In my time I saw several employees leave and be hired in HR, which always makes me nervous of monkey business, many things get dropped with no clear transition. Per policy, people are escorted off the premises when they are let go and it's very dramatic with lots of hushed speculation, even though its pretty mundane in reality.
    High turnover in entry level roles. The ones that leave are often very good, leaving behind unaccountable, untrained, and lazy employees.
    Could definitely promote and use the research department towards publishing and advancing science to a more significant degree, rather then focusing on the bottom line, investors and big businesses as usual.
    Lots of favoritism, combined with a huge lack of training for supervisors, and managers. I saw a huge cult of personality for the old CEO, and not a day goes by where people aren't conversing about poor stocks and their investments.
    I received little to no training at my role.
    In my 2 years there I saw zero sign of career development plans, this is new and unproven. You must work through your direct supervisor or 'manager,' needless to say, there is no standardization that is followed. The promotion tracks internally do not mean those promotions will be granted once requirements are met. You must seek and chase your own opportunities. My exceptional manager (one of several managers I had during my 2 years )was able to help me connect and shadow, but I only felt welcome in the medical services (customer service) department, elsewhere in the company there are many of those with weak people skills, and much peer to peer conflict. There is no control, metrics, or guidelines to how a manager decides to rank their employees. Sabotage occurs.
    I have an advanced degree and not once was my knowledge necessary, utilized or valued. This job did not further my ability in my field.
    I saw QC one time, and they weren't paying close attention.

Advice to Management

Invest in some real, outside audits, and some intense, modern training for ALL management, not your never ending circle of complementing each other on small successes and repeating what had worked in the past and ineffective, non competitive internal training. Halt your propagandas and politicking and clean out the trash in your company.
    Get LEED certification and recycle. Partner with local agencies to spread education and awareness, and be actively involved in community service. Your social media department and marketing needs to be active, reworked and promoting a positive public image, promoting the science, no one enjoys patient stories. Update your software. Upgrade and replace your broken computers. Force ergonomic changes in the labs, nothing is set up with the human form in mind, invest in some tables, and a computer lab for employees as a resource.

"Working here isn't terrible, but it isn't outstanding either"

Current Employee - Data Analyst in Salt Lake City, UT
    Current Employee - Data Analyst in Salt Lake City, UT

I have been working at Myriad Genetics full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Colleagues are great to work with. Most supervisors will bend over backwards to assist and accommodate your needs.

Cons

Upper management seems take take credit for ideas that wasn't there's. Then blame lower management such as supervisors for their own faulty ideas. HR also seems to be a lot less approachable.

Advice to Management

Sending out generic accolade emails are cheap. Why not get out to see the people who make Myriad great than request them to "meet and greet" you?

Myriad Genetics Response

Jul 31, 2017 – EVP HR

Thank you for your recent post. It looks like you have been with myriad for some time. We do feel we have a very strong culture and perform as a united team. Every employee is important to us... More

"Sales Specialist"

I have been working at Myriad Genetics full-time

Pros

good culture and a supportive team

Cons

terrible management with little room for recognition

Myriad Genetics Response

Jul 31, 2017 – EVP HR

Thank you for your post! We agree we have a strong culture and a very united team here at Myriad. We also believe overall we have a very strong management team that cares about eacy and every... More