Myriad Genetics Reviews | Glassdoor

Rating Trends Rating Trends
Myriad Genetics President/CEO Mark C. Capone
Mark C. Capone

Pros
Cons
  • Upper management does not reflect the demographics of the rest of the company (in 8 reviews)

• I didn't feel there was a very good work/life balance (in 4 reviews)

"Patient Service Coordinator"

Former Employee - Patient Service Trainer in Salt Lake City, UT
    Former Employee - Patient Service Trainer in Salt Lake City, UT

I worked at Myriad Genetics full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Only the insurance coverage which you will receive the same at any other company at Research Park.

Cons

There is no respect given to any employee that does not have a science degree above BA

Advice to Management

Quit weeding out your best and longstanding employees. If I could rate this review less than one star (the review requires a rating) then it would be -5

"Myriad's management promotes their favorites."

Pros

Nothing anymore. Myriad used to be a good company to work at. New management has taken away all the perks we used to get.

Cons

No work/life balance. We are told there is no money in the budget to hire help, although we see other areas getting new employees. Some employees will threaten to leave and immediately will get a huge pay raise. However, if you are a loyal employee and you work hard, you will NOT get promoted. If you are a new employee, you get paid better than an employee that has shown loyalty to the company for years.

Advice to Management

Value your long term employees. Morale is the worst it has ever been. Employees are really disgruntled about the executive leadership that is there to support them.

One last comment, it seems certain reviews disappear from Glassdoor. Makes you wonder what kind of a deal Myriad has going on with Glassdoor....

Myriad Genetics Response

Jan 17, 2017 – EVP HR

Thank you for submitting your feedback. We choose to use our financial resources to benefit patients -- rather than on extravagance and firvolity. Everyone plays an equally vital role at Myriad ... More

"They continually reduce bonuses and strip benefits."

Current Employee - Patient Advocate in Salt Lake City, UT

I have been working at Myriad Genetics full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The wages were pretty fair, last time I checked. They have the occasional company treat or lunch, but it isn't something frequent by any means.

Cons

Where to start? The Customer Service department is a disaster. Some of their hardest working employees get treated horribly. Nothing is ever good enough, we are constantly critiqued. Supervisors are selected arbitrarily and without experience, abuse their power, and play favorites. The company is very strict about policy until it serves them to not be (I.e. Working through lunch is forbidden, until they need you to work overtime. Then it's fine.) Our bonuses and benefits have gone down every year. Parking on campus is an absolute nightmare, but they refuse to allow telecommuting. Reps who fudge their work but have high numbers are praised - those who are thorough and detail-oriented are chastised for being "slow". No ice machines or free time to exercise. Constantly cracking the whip. Two 15 minute breaks arent enough for people sitting for 8 hours.

Advice to Management

Care about your CS employees. Cut down micro-management and criticism. Make your employees feel valued again. You can't take and take and take and expect us to want to help out when we all fall behind.

"Nightmare of a Place"

Current Employee - Research Associate II in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Research Associate II in Austin, TX

I have been working at Myriad Genetics full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

They provide free food every couple of weeks.

Cons

A truly awful and frustrating experience at the Austin facility (RBM). Heavy micro-managers, want to know the work you do, to the hour. They encourage you to ask questions but then say you are not understanding things well enough when you ask questions. Supervisors have unrealistic expectations not meshing with their mess of a training program or with what other labs teach. I feel like my supervisor is never on my side; I was given a false image of the situation during the interview.

Advice to Management

The company's philosophy is "Fill the Pipeline. Pay our way" which is what it sounds and exactly the reason why you want to be in biotech I'm sure...

"Too much stress, not enough pay"

Former Employee - Patient Advocate in Salt Lake City, UT
    Former Employee - Patient Advocate in Salt Lake City, UT

Pros

Amazing benefits (Insurance, maternity, etc etc)

Cons

Myriad Genetics is a genetic testing company who gets test requests sent in from all over the country and you have to submit an auth request to the patients insurance plan to request monetary coverage for the test. The pay is far below standard for the amount of work they expect you to perform. Your day consists of getting to work and assessing your "list" for the day. Your list is the cases you need to address and provide follow up for. That could entail calling an insurance company and waiting on hold for 1+ hours just to ask for the status on an authorization case for services, you could need to call the Dr who ordered testing to get clarifying information just to get told to stop calling or that they are sick of you calling (they are the one who ordered the test?), calling the patient to get insurance info etc etc. You can have anywhere from 25-70 cases you need to follow up on. IN ADDITION TO THAT, while you work your boss may decide to add more cases to your list from someone elses list from a completely different territory so you have no idea what you are doing since different territories have different insurance companies with different processing rules, so when you have completed about 50 cases and you think you are almost done, you refresh your list and then another 30-40 cases pop up and you will only have 2 hours left in your shift to complete those additional cases. All while not knowing what you are doing since you arent familiar with those insurances or territories. If you dont finish your list you are scolded, demeaned, talked about (while you are in ear shot), made to have others turn against you, humiliated- the list goes on. So when you bring that topic up in a meeting you are pretty much told to "be quiet and if you dont like it then you can leave".The amount of stress is NOT worth the money. They do not care AT ALL about their employees and nobody is on the same page. You will be told one thing by a manager and will do it that way and then be written up by a different manager. It is stressful beyond measure and the gossip is RELENTLESS in that place. I saw many people crying in bathrooms and hallways. Many people left during the one year I was there. It was total chaos.

Advice to Management

Care more about employees and less about numbers. Teach everybody the correct way to do the job so people arent making so many mistakes. Offer a training class where useful policies are taught and dont devote an entire WEEK to dumb customer service training. Also when you talk gossip to one another, you should really AT LEAST close your office doors so the people on the floor cant hear you. It does absolutely nothing for team morale to talk trash about employees.

"check out the fake generic positive five star reviews in May and June of 2016."

Pros

check out the fake generic positive five star reviews in May and June of 2016. This pretty much sums the situation at Myriad. They are willing to enter in fake review into Glassdoor to improve their image. Do you want to work for a company that is willing to do this? What does that ultimately say about them? Do you think they will treat you fairly once hired? Do you trust them to be honest on a review when they are willing to be dishonest on Glassdoor?

Cons

management cannot be trusted. HR is completely biased toward management and clueless in job requirements. management is also home grown so it's often that the guy that used to manage the network there ten years ago may be the VP now. do you really want to work for a company where the VP level is still making mistakes to learn the job and firing those that get caught in the crossfire?

Advice to Management

have some ethics

"Profit over people, if that wasn't already famous."

Current Employee - Patient Advocate in Salt Lake City, UT

I have been working at Myriad Genetics full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

You help cancer patients get access to a really expensive genetic test.

Cons

Management treats employees like slaves. This includes mandatory overtime on weekends. It's a pretty counterproductive idea as employees are miserable already. Sorry about your family life, but it's the end of the quarter and we need $$$$.

Advice to Management

Figure out where you actually lose revenue. Look deeper in your processes. A lot of improvement needs to be made. A lot of waste happens due to 20 years of hiring bad employees and not caring, but it's time for a makeover. Do YOU know what's going on in customer service? Do YOU know what's causing tests to be cancelled? Do you know what it takes to get a test paid for?

"Headed on a downward spiral."

Current Employee - Patient Service Coordinator in Salt Lake City, UT
    Current Employee - Patient Service Coordinator in Salt Lake City, UT

I have been working at Myriad Genetics full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I agree with the below comment; the view of the mountains.

Cons

-Bureaucratic structure with layers of management - from regional managers to department managers down to team supervisors. This, along with mandates for compliance, takes precedence over doing the right thing. It discourages change and cripples improvement. You may ask "Why do we do it this way?" The answer is often, "We've always done it this way." Forget creativity. Forget talent. Forget improvement.

-Micromanagement is crazy and is implemented with a command and control leadership style. Employees are treated like numbers. No one cares if you fall off the face of the earth. You're replaceable. We don't need you.

-Bonuses and rewards are given equally to everyone. And tenure precedes performance. Just another way to promote mediocrity and high turnover.

-Because management is so stuck in the past and resistant to changes, lots of processes (basically anything done on the phone or computer) is outdated. This is 2013, not 1992!!

Advice to Management

Tenure Suppresses Talent:

Just because “Employee A” has performed a task longer than “Employee B” doesn’t necessarily mean that “A” is more skilled than “B.” Furthermore, just because “A” has been with the company longer than “B”, doesn’t necessarily mean that “A” possesses more talent, upside, knowledge, or adds more value than “B.” When an organization promotes based upon tenure, and not based upon recognition of talent, merit, performance, etc., the company is not leveraging its true talent base. Not recognizing, developing, and rewarding talent is the fastest way I know of to drive talent out of your organization and directly into the hands of your competition.

"Terrible Place to work"

Former Employee - Patient Service Coordinator in Salt Lake City, UT
    Former Employee - Patient Service Coordinator in Salt Lake City, UT

I worked at Myriad Genetics full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The beautiful view from your work station.

Cons

Micro management, favortism for the employees they like. Work long hours, work faster, time lines given. The computers and phones need to be updated and make sure they work properly. If they like you it will be a somewhat good career. If you are not part of the management group prepare to be miserable !

Advice to Management

Treat all employees equally. Notice the employees working hard and that are not in the BIG boys club.

"Money, money, money"

Current Employee - Customer Service in Salt Lake City, UT
    Current Employee - Customer Service in Salt Lake City, UT

I have been working at Myriad Genetics full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Testing your personal strength. Working independently. Growing individually. Helping cancer patients.

Cons

This company is all about money. Triple bottom line: profit, profit, profit. It will catch up to them someday, especially now that they have competitors. Better learn how to appreciate your hard working employees. They do not reward enough for performance and hard work, because their budget is tight--- oh wait, we made half a billion this year. This place will fall down soon.

Advice to Management

I would never make a suggestion, so it can be tossed in the trash..,