Myriad Genetics Reviews | Glassdoor

Mark C. Capone
  1. "Amazing Company"

Current Employee - Billing Clerk in Salt Lake City, UT

I have been working at Myriad Genetics full-time for less than a year

Pros

Great benefits, Growth opportunities, Gym, Food Truck Thursday, Amazing leaders

Cons

Learning curve for people new to health insurance

Myriad Genetics2019-06-17

"Easy Money, Toxic Atmosphere With Lots of Smiles"

Former Employee - Laboratory Technician in Salt Lake City, UT

I worked at Myriad Genetics full-time for more than a year

Pros

Easy money, you do not need a brain to work here. If you're looking to "coast" along and zone out then work here. Gym. They feed you sometimes. 401k match. Free cheap coffee. Alot of young people. Good quality products, albeit super expensive.

Cons

Naive, overworked and green management who are incompetent and enable office drama. Atmosphere of constant badmouthing and throwing others under the bus, the more you complain about others the better off you are. Atmosphere of hyper political correctness, people surviving by pretending to be offended at something harmless in order to claw their way to the top of the victim-hood pyramid. Rules are not enforced... equally among coworkers, depending on what clique you belong to. Some people had to clock out for lunch, others didn't. People committed time card fraud frequently and management turned a blind eye. Performance reviews were not based on metrics or any numbers, it was based almost entirely in subjective opinion. The most productive member of the lab got some of the worse ratings. No room for position or wage improvement, one guy had been working there for over five years and he made $3/hour more than starting employees. The work place had pulverized his low-confidence personality into smithereens and he would constantly be mistreated and abused. It was a sad and pathetic thing to witness. Inappropriate out of work relationships, management going on private vacations with lower level employees and their families. Suffocating conflicts of interest. The company wastes a ridiculous amount of money. Buying things we don't need, dumping reagents, printing forests of paper that get thrown out anyway. Even more money is wasted on inefficiency, old software, bad programming, redundant steps. When I say waste I mean easily in the millions of dollars in my year working there. I immediately withdrew from their stock purchasing program when I saw how wasteful my branch was. There is possibly insider trading going on, a good amount of management sold stocks literally right before the price bottomed out and went down 50%. Someone in another lab got fired for suggesting the company actually pay for proper chemical disposal. A lot of the chemicals go down the drain, you are instructed to just "leave the facet on" to affect the concentrations measured by regulators. The building director was asked to consider installing cameras in the elevators and work areas for safety, to which he adamantly refused. Don't let people fool you when they say "Its really hard to get fired at Myriad". A coworker got fired for putting reddit memes on a wall in the employee lounge, probably the weakest reason i've ever seen someone get terminated for. The only people that get fired or leave are those who aren't bottom feeders and know they are worth more than what this place can ultimately offer. There is a reason people discuss the high turn over rate on the company message boards: the malignant management and incentive structures pushing good/productive employees away and keeping dead weight around.

Advice to Management

You're sinking your own ship.

Myriad Genetics2019-06-21
  3. Create your profile to get personalized information

"Unhealthy culture, favoritism, ego, and unwillingness to change with the market"

Current Employee - Sales Representative

I have been working at Myriad Genetics full-time

Pros

Used to be a good place to work 5 years ago. All has changed and it now feels like a different company.....in a bad way.

Cons

This company is a ghost of its former self. The past year, the culture has deteriorated. Goals have been purposefully high, reps can't see their own territory data, and rankings, President's Club and commission was awarded with data upper management admitted was inaccurate. There is no trust here. There is a big ego problem that comes from the top down. The attitude to employees and customers is "you are so... lucky to work with us." There is no concern for the individual, and I no longer feel valued as an employee. They do not reward their best reps, which is why so many are leaving. There is a huge disconnect between corporate and the field, and between corporate and the customers. They refuse to change with the evolving industry, and competition is eating away at the business. I do not recommend working here any longer. At least not unless serious changes are made that make hard working reps feel appreciated and compensated.

Advice to Management

Listen to your reps in the field. We are the boots on the ground and have really good ideas based on what we see and hear from our customers. Invest in your talent. Make your employees feel appreciated and valued. If you don't reward good people, you will lose them all. Stop the shadiness with numbers, data, goals, payouts, etc; be honest and transparent with how people are being paid.

Myriad Genetics2019-06-13

"My experience with the company so far."

Current Employee - Billing Representative

I have been working at Myriad Genetics full-time for less than a year

Pros

The hours, benefits and most people on my team are amazing. Also the future opportunities. People on my team willing to go above and beyond to make sure deadlines are met.

Cons

All though I have been here for 30 days, I haven't been trained on much of anything. I feel that my team lead is scattered, and won't take or make the time to train me on things that my team is working on. My first 2 1/2 weeks here, I didn't have access to any of the systems to function with my job nor had it been requested. I have expressed my concern and asked many times why it is taking so long to get access to... anything other than email? and was told that People are just dragging their feet. I am a fast learner, and self motivated. I feel like I am not being able to use my knowledge to the fullest. It is coming to a point where a meeting will be requested to see what can be resolved. I have been told time and time again, that I will start training, and then it never happens, and IF it does, I am passed on to someone else for a brief " shadow" of the work. I have also observed all of the above with a recent new hire on my team. as a side note, there are people I know that are seeking employment, however because of the "team lead" I currently work under I may not refer based on my current experience.

Advice to Management

take the time to train the new employees on the things they should be doing to ensure productivity.

Myriad Genetics2019-05-31

"Work that makes a difference in patients lives!"

Current Employee - Patient Advocate in Salt Lake City, UT

I have been working at Myriad Genetics full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Benefits are competitive. They make work life balance flexible. Easy to get days off. By testing DNA for cancer causing gene mutations we help patients get the results they need and our work helps their families generations. Very fulfilling.

Cons

I wish there was a work from home option!!!

Myriad Genetics2019-05-30
  7. "Lab Tech III"

I have been working at Myriad Genetics full-time

Pros

Myriad has a great work life balance for lab technicians.

Cons

On average the pay is lower compared to other biotech companies in the area

Myriad Genetics2019-05-30

"Good Company"

Current Employee - Account Executive

I have been working at Myriad Genetics full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

My Direct manager is wonderful to work for!

Cons

Upper management is out of touch with the field.

Myriad Genetics2019-06-05

"Not a career company"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Salt Lake City, UT

I worked at Myriad Genetics full-time for more than a year

Pros

Great people and amazing patient products. Coworkers are willing to help and teach you the fundamentals. Health benefits can be good, however monthly premiums have increased without providing better care. Some departments have flexibility with hours.

Cons

The company will not value you. Your coworkers will do a better job at that. It is really hard to grow there. Some departments have to pick up the slack for other departments by doing another employee’s responsibilities. The pay is low and some departments don’t allow for room for growth.

Advice to Management

Losing talent is hurting the company both in morale as well as financially. Better pay and providing more room for growth will prevent this.

Myriad Genetics2019-05-31
  10. "Great place to work"

Current Employee - Product Manager

I have been working at Myriad Genetics full-time

Pros

They provide growth opportunities. Great benefit package.

Cons

Interview process is LONG Base salary is on the low end for the same job title in the area

Advice to Management

Equity adjustments need to be made to retain good employees

Myriad Genetics2019-05-14
  11. "New Employee - First Impressions"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Salt Lake City, UT

I have been working at Myriad Genetics full-time for less than a year

Pros

Impressions after 1 month of employment: Good work/life balance, casual clothing allowed, parking garages provided for free, workout room provided for free, employer-subsidized food options available, lots of paid-leave holidays, and good benefits (most become available on day 1, like health insurance). Combine those things with the close location to trails while also being very close to anything in SLC proper,... this is a great place to work.

Cons

You're commuting in the University of Utah traffic. No real issues to report yet.

Myriad Genetics2019-05-01