Mystic Lake Casino and Hotel Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated January 27, 2017

2.0
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Edward Stevenson

Pros
  • Great benefits, great people, Community cares about their employees (in 11 reviews)

• Benefits are good, that's the only thing that help (in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • Be ready to be mandated for every single holiday and "special" event with no time and a half or holiday pay (in 5 reviews)

• Hours can be a challenge as it's 24/7/365 (in 4 reviews)

1. "Casino Floor Server"

I worked at Mystic Lake Casino and Hotel full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Working full-time at this company they do offer some amazing benefits.

Cons

This company does not recognize holidays for their employees. The favorite game gets played a lot. The point system is a joke.

Advice to Management

Really needs to improve and lead by example. The fact that some people get stuck working every holiday because they are not buddies with their boss is not right. Also the fact that all of the higher ups get to enjoy their holidays and actually take their pto while other employees get put on pto blocks all summer is not right. Really unprofessional to have supervisors that go out and party with people they manage. I feel like Little Six needs some major improvements on this area.

2. "The shine wears off"

Current Employee - Pit Boss in Prior Lake, MN
    Current Employee - Pit Boss in Prior Lake, MN

Pros

The benefits are great; health benefits, 401(k), over 7 weeks vacation time per year at management level. The work itself is physically easy even though the industry eats your soul.

Cons

The cigarette smoke is tough to deal with. Management is apathetic and runs things from their offices instead getting out and about to see what they're managing. The company mandated reverse discrimination that promotes less qualified people of a certain ethnic background ahead of more qualified people hurts morale and puts people in positions they can't handle.

Advice to Management

Walk around and take a look at the place once in awhile. Treat your staff like they matter. Listen to what they have to say.

3. "Manager"

Former Employee - Manager in Prior Lake, MN
    Former Employee - Manager in Prior Lake, MN

I worked at Mystic Lake Casino and Hotel full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Mostly nice co-workers, a lot of drama.

Cons

Management is unprofessional and micromanages. management participates in drama.

Advice to Management

Management could focus leading and not micromanaging

"Cook 3"

Pros

Benefits are good, that's the only thing that help

Cons

A lot of preferences for chefs and souchefs, they don't give you the opportunity to grow, bad hourly pay, outside the minimum pay is $10 at least, here too much to do minimum pay is $12 wiorking at night

Advice to Management

The top management never will know what is going on if the chefs and sous chefs hide things from spoild employees, but I know some employees that smoke cigarettes in the dish rooms when nobody is there even weed, same in Ward robe, eat what ever they want, and for them there is no problem

"Ok place to work, not for long term"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Prior Lake, MN
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Prior Lake, MN

Pros

The benefits are good, awesome coworkers!

Cons

They don't do what they promise. I was told many times that I would be promoted but they always gave some excuse to not promote me.

Advice to Management

If you promise an employee something, make sure you follow through with that promise. People are depending on your trust and when you break it, it is hard to get it back.

"Unfortuante Changes in Management Trickle Down to Employees"

I worked at Mystic Lake Casino and Hotel full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Mystic Lake has a fantastic Benefits package! So great, in fact, that it is often the only reason employees stay.

Cons

Mystic Lake has the attitude that they should be your entire life. They will alter your schedule without your knowledge and often times middle management allows petty problems to interfere with acting in a professional manner. When I first started, I was happy to go to work and I felt valued and appreciated. With changes in the upper echelons of management, they are so focused on the "bottom line" concerning budgets that they don't value the employee to the extent that they had previously. When I approached management about wanting to prepare myself for a position in management when one opened, I was advised to go to another company for my training. Which is exactly what I did. Mystic Lake is not interested in cultivating and growing their employees.

Advice to Management

The upper management in my department has been spread too thin and is often pulled in too many directions. Management would benefit from a "Manager In Training" Program as often New Hires are not used to such high business levels and I believe strongly in promoting from within. Who better to handle the high business levels than someone who is already used to working in such an environment? They would also benefit from a "Shift Lead" position as often a manager is not around for "the little things".

8. "Environmental Services Supervisor"

Former Employee - Environmental Services Supervisor in Prior Lake, MN
    Former Employee - Environmental Services Supervisor in Prior Lake, MN

I worked at Mystic Lake Casino and Hotel full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Good starting pay and benefits. Great employee assistance programs. Good employee food at cafeteria. Proper training and free Microsoft classes were given.

Cons

Poor communication between Supervisors and upper Management. Too much micromanaging. No trust between upper and lower management. Not much opportunity for advancement.

Advice to Management

Do not let shift managers have free reign over supervisors and employees. More training for new hires is needed. The yearly review process is a joke. After the Supervisor completes it the shift manager redoes all of them.

9. "Not a family friendly company"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Burnsville, MN
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Burnsville, MN

I worked at Mystic Lake Casino and Hotel (Less than a year)

Pros

Decent salary, medical and dental benefits

Cons

Management and constant threat of job loss

"Pays the bills"

I worked at Mystic Lake Casino and Hotel full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

paycheck and keeps you away from giving the rude tribal members your money.

Cons

Work for a tribe that has young members verbally abuse and degrade employees that are helping them get over one million dollars a year.

Advice to Management

Try not to let people micro manage.

"You have no idea"

Pros

Great benefits and some of the best people that actually work their rear ends off to create an amazing experience and environment for the guests.

Cons

Some of the most underhanded people in management that will go out of their way to set you up to fail. If its in their interest there is no level to the lengths they will go. I could write a tell all about the inner workings of this place and the unethical standards they set.

Advice to Management

Management does not care. The CEO has overstayed his welcome and is not respected by the team members, but as long as the tribal members get their 85K each month they will do nothing.