N C Machinery Reviews | Glassdoor

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "Review"

Current Employee - Sales Representative in Anchorage, AK
    Current Employee - Sales Representative in Anchorage, AK

I have been working at N C Machinery full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Great team with substantial experience.

Cons

Large organization can be difficult to navigate.

2. "Lots of promise once they modernize."

Current Employee - Marketing Advocate in Tukwila, WA
    Current Employee - Marketing Advocate in Tukwila, WA

I have been working at N C Machinery full-time (More than a year)

Pros

They do a great job of giving praise for a job well done. They regularly acknowledge employees' hard work and give incentives for staying with the company for long periods of time. Getting fired or reprimanded takes a bit of effort. Free food on a regular basis helps. Compensation is not the best, but also not terrible.

Cons

Very outdated policies and practices. Incredibly overbearing internet usage rules. No one is allowed to create or use social media profiles for the company. No paid maternity or paternity leave at all. "Jeans Friday" is a brand new concept for the company. I think it was introduced in 2016, which seems crazy.

They hold overly formal, quarterly "Governance" meetings where everyone has to present their progress to a board room full of Vice Presidents and the ownership. In addition to regular employees having to present to a crowd of execs, the majority of the shared information could be effectively shared through an email instead. Most meetings here could be replaced with emails.

The worst part is that all approvals and projects come to a grinding halt for weeks leading up to Governance. Everyone is so concerned with tweaking their numbers and presentations, that nothing productive actually gets done. It's incredibly frustrating.

Advice to Management

The company is throwing money away on providing travel and accommodations for all the out of state employees for Governance. The lack of productivity during the time surrounding the meetings is detrimental to success, as is the company's active resistance to new technology and practices, such as social media and various software platforms.

3. "High Expectations in an old shop"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Anchorage, AK
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Anchorage, AK

I worked at N C Machinery full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Wonderful coworkers who were always very helpful and friendly and a pleasure to work with. Excellent pay and benefits. Convenient location. Plenty of overtime if you want it. No one constantly looking over your shoulder.

Cons

The shop is very old. Overhead cranes and jib cranes that can barely handle the weight of what's being worked on. Not enough room for everyone to do their jobs. Lack of communication from management as to what is expected. Training is almost non-existent. Old tooling and equipment that is broken, almost broken or has been repaired numerous times or no tooling at all and you have to figure it out on your own. Flat rate times are liberal but sometimes difficult to meet due to tooling and machine issues or lack of space.

Advice to Management

Please inform your employees of what the expectations are. Offer guidance and training when there is an obvious need or when asked for it. Assuming the employee will figure it out is dangerous. When progress isn't being made, get with the employee to find out what the problem is instead of just asking if they're doing OK. Half the time they're going to tell you they're doing fine when they really are struggling. Invest in new tooling and invest in your people!

4. "Warranty Claims Technician"

Current Employee - Warranty Claims Technician in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Warranty Claims Technician in Seattle, WA

I have been working at N C Machinery full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great work environment. Great on the job training. Benefits package. Sick leave. Vacation leave. Holiday pay.

Cons

Pay is good but is not what I was told it would be at when I was interviewed.

Advice to Management

Please give a better understanding of pay and benefits in the interview process.

5. "Generator Technician"

Former Employee - Generator Technician in Tukwila, WA
    Former Employee - Generator Technician in Tukwila, WA

Pros

Great benefits and a professional corporate environment.

Cons

Management staff has an awful lot to learn about managing employees on the lowest level.

Advice to Management

Micromanagement on the lowest level isn't the best way to corral employees and get them to do an effective job.

6. "parts clerk I did a little of everything."

Former Employee - Parts Clerk in Anchorage, AK
    Former Employee - Parts Clerk in Anchorage, AK

Pros

I worked with a lot of good people.

Cons

Very little training by the managers.

Advice to Management

Talked to your workers.

7. "Smart but conservative ownership"

Current Employee - Finance Representative in South Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Finance Representative in South Seattle, WA

I have been working at N C Machinery full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great Benefits (dental and 401K) and work / life balance is good

Cons

Large disparity between management and administrators pay

8. "HGI"

Current Employee - Finance Representative in Tukwila, WA
    Current Employee - Finance Representative in Tukwila, WA

I have been working at N C Machinery full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Co-Workers are all very enjoyable, insurance is great and includes dental. Laid back environment. Openings throughout the company for change seekers

Cons

3 weeks vacation only after 10 years employment, 2 weeks after 3 years, 1 week for first 3 years....Not a lot of time off but good place to work

9. "Caterpillar Dealer in the Northwest"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

Pros

Great place to work and great customers. Things change every 6 months so lots of opportunity for advancement. Great place for a driven employee for upper management, and great place if you just want a 8-5 clock in clock out hourly job. Many 30-40 year employees. Lots of people will be retiring in the next 5 years so great place for younger people starting out. Great Management training program for college grads. Company is very stable and fair to employees. Great ownership and upper management.

Cons

100% Sink or Swim, which I love, but some might not. Not much training other than "figure it out and get it done" Only 2 weeks of vacation and 3 after 10 years! You hear a lot of "that's how we have always done it or, that's not my job" Also known as, I'm here, I clock in, don't ask me for much more. An employee who is willing to problem solve instead of pass off issues will do very well here.

Advice to Management

There is so much experience throughout the ranks at NC (been around since 1776), and we need to tap into that for the new employees. The silo effect of Service Vs Sales Vs Rental gets somewhat tiring. Every silo for themselves doesn't help create a team effort. I understand that's how CAT dealers are set up, but it ends up making people bitter and not willing to help each other instead of being competitive and pushing for a common goal.

10. "It's a job"

I have been working at N C Machinery full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The pay is good, the benefits are good (thought the premiums are a bit high I think) there's a good retirement package and many people here have been here for a couple of decades so there is a lot of experience here.

Cons

They're pretty strict about no overtime... it's not a bad place to work, I'm just not happy because it's not what I want to do or where I want to be/retire from.