N.F. Smith & Associates Reviews | Glassdoor

Bob & Lee Ackerley

1. "Good, low pay."

Current Employee - Operations Specialist in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Operations Specialist in Houston, TX

I have been working at N.F. Smith & Associates (Less than a year)

Pros

Family oriented, they offer very good benefits also. Willing to give anyone a chance to move up as long as they see initiative.

Cons

Pay isn't enough for the experience I have. I am not being utilized to my full potential. I am craving responsibility, yet it feels as if I have none.

2. "Often Feels LikeA StartUp...For Better or Worse!"

Former Employee - Trading in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Trading in Houston, TX

I worked at N.F. Smith & Associates full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Managers mostly leave you alone to build your own book of business.
    Good benefits. Uncapped commissions. Not real hard to advance.

Cons

Tough business. Easy to find new customers during a shortage. Quite a bit tougher at other times.

Advice to Management

Assign new traders to teams and provide more training.

3. "A good...place to work"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX

I have been working at N.F. Smith & Associates full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

People are nice, schedules are flexible

Cons

Located in Houston, Houston is a boring place

"Off to a great start!"

Current Employee - International Sales in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - International Sales in Houston, TX

I have been working at N.F. Smith & Associates full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I took this job in sales right out of college and am happy to be here. There is a lot going on with this company.

Cons

Its a 'family' company which has upsides and downsides. They care about their employees and its a fun place to work but it can help to be related to one of the owners or executives

Advice to Management

Keep doing all the things that work. Try to become a little more diverse in the US.

5. "Heading in the Right Direction"

Current Employee - Trader in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Trader in Houston, TX

I have been working at N.F. Smith & Associates full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

The culture is very unique. It is more than just a 'job'. This is the first employer where I have really liked the people I work with. Also, there have been a bunch of opportunities to advance my career and/or make more money. There is a very entrepreneurial spirit there and I am making more than I've made in any previous sales job.

Cons

A few years ago it seemed like the best days were in the past but they have opened new offices and shuffled management around to take the business to a whole other level.

Advice to Management

Change is good. Bring on more training and make sure employees know about new opportunities.

6. "Shipping & Receiving"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX

Pros

Company outings, lunch provided at times, good benefits

Cons

Do not compensate for hard work, expect too much commitment without compensation

Advice to Management

Take care of your employees

7. "Loved It"

Former Employee - Export Coordinator in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Export Coordinator in Houston, TX

I worked at N.F. Smith & Associates full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Smith was my home.Gained a good work ethic from working there. You are treated as a member of the family and management is willing to work with you through what ever issue that you may be dealing with.It can be stressful but the team environment makes you feel as if you are not fighting the battle alone.The hours can be long but you feel accomplished at the end of the day when the last shipment leaves the building.

Cons

Only a couple of cons and that is the pay could be more competitive and the general feeling was that management didn't really listen to what the workers had to say in some of the decision making processes. Career moves were sometimes more lateral than anything. Overall though, not much major to complain about.

Advice to Management

Take the workers suggestions under advisement more.When people are telling you what they know from experience , it warrants at least consideration.

"Family Atmosphere, Great Place to Work"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX

I worked at N.F. Smith & Associates full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

I worked at Smith & Associates for five years, and can easily say that working there was the best professional experience I have ever had. Were it not for family obligations out of state, I absolutely would have stayed with Smith for as long as they’d have me.

The reasons to love working at Smith are numerous: great benefits, engaged leadership, a fun atmosphere — Smith doesn’t feel like some cold corporate machine … it feels more like a family.

At Smith, you can tell right away that people matter. You can tell that you are valued both personally and professionally, whether you have two months or 20 years experience at the company. The leadership team is incredibly approachable, and you learn very quickly that they genuinely care about your development, and really want you to succeed. Smith invests heavily in training its people, regardless of department or tenure. They give you every opportunity to grow and develop.

As it is with any job, you get out of it what you put in. Whether you're on the sales side or corporate support, if you’re willing to put in the effort, you’ll see huge rewards and advance quickly. There aren’t limits to how much you can achieve at Smith.

You never get the feeling that people there are just showing up to put in their eight hours and collect a paycheck. They genuinely care about the company and its people, and they want to help each other succeed. Being a family-owned company, it only makes sense that you’re treated as part of the family.

Cons

There really aren’t many downsides to working at Smith. Learning about the electronic component industry can be a little challenging at first if you’re unfamiliar with it, but once you spend a few weeks immersed in it, it becomes second nature.

Advice to Management

Keep up the great work. Keep treating your employees well, and there’s no limit as to how far Smith can go.

9. "Great place to work"

Former Employee - Sales (Trading) in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Sales (Trading) in Houston, TX

I worked at N.F. Smith & Associates full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

What you get out of the company is what you put into it. Hard work is definitely rewarded. If you like talking to people all over the world in the sales process, this place is for you. It is very laid back and casual.

Cons

The ups and downs of the market really impact your customer's purchases and regardless of how good you are you can't create a sale when they are struggling.

Advice to Management

While I was there, there was some team-related stuff that I would have like to have been more of a part of. I think if the newer people get a chance to be on a team that would be good.

"Purchasing"

Former Employee - Purchasing in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Purchasing in Houston, TX

I worked at N.F. Smith & Associates full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Most outstanding company to work for. For 20 yrs. the atmosphere is still stronger than ever. I love knowing that every day is a chance for a new and bigger opportunity that just waits for you.

Cons

It can get pretty intense at times. The more time and effort you put into the bigger the gain you will receive.

Advice to Management

Advice to management.. to keep all lines of commutation and suggestions open all the time.