N2 Publishing Reviews | Glassdoor

4.7
N2 Publishing CEO Duane Hixon
Duane Hixon

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "Work life balance is a positive aspect of this company" (in 27 reviews)

• "The pros of working with N2 is that you are never alone in the job" (in 19 reviews)

Cons
  • "Cooperation among local Area Directors / team members is essential to the happiness and success of the regional team" (in 23 reviews)

• "You have to have a passion for it and if you don't you will not survive at N2 or as a business owner" (in 13 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Impossible Made Possible"

Current Employee - Area Director in Vancouver, WA
    Current Employee - Area Director in Vancouver, WA

I have been working at N2 Publishing full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

My wife and I had talked about working together in business but had no idea what it would look like. We knew we wanted more freedoms with our time and we wanted to be able to raise our kids and not have a daycare do that for us. This was our simple vision 3.5 years ago when we took a leap of faith with N2. In that time we've met many incredible business owners that we work with in the community and residents that love participating in the publication and look forward to getting it each month. The community has really adopted us and we are able to raise our little girl and experience parenting in a way that many people do not get to. After 9 months of being in print with N2 my wife was able to leave her job in HR. And after 12 months of being in print we passed the income of our previous combined salaries. N2 has exceeded our expectations.

The business model is almost as incredible as the people that make up the culture. The support that we have is exceptional as a franchise owner. I really appreciate the N2 Culture Deck and being apart of a company that does what they say they will do and treats people the way they would like to be treated. We truly have ownership over our business with this franchise model and there are many other business models where the business OWNS you!

Cons

We don't get to see some good friends very often that my wife and I have made because they live in other parts of the country.

Advice to Management

Let's bring a client appreciation event to the Northwest in 2018 like we recently did in the Midwest to share on a larger level the positive changes that are happening through N2.

2. "Area Director"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Covington, KY
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Covington, KY

I have been working at N2 Publishing full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Flexibility, Company Culture, Income potential.

Cons

Desired communities may not always be available.

Advice to Management

They are true leaders not only there to help you professionally but personally.

3. "Franchise Opportunity Has Exceeded Expectations"

Current Employee - Sales Director/Franchise Owner in Camas, WA
    Current Employee - Sales Director/Franchise Owner in Camas, WA

I have been working at N2 Publishing full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

My wife and I have been able to work together the last 4 years. After starting the franchise opportunity with N2 it was only 6 months before we were in a position to bring my wife home from her previous career in Human Resources. We've been franchise owners the last 4.5 years now and this opportunity has greatly exceeded our expectations in many ways. We love the community we work with in Camas, WA and built so many incredible friendships with people that receive the publication each month and we have met because of our work in the community. We are thankful to work with the most creative and kind business owners who are at the top of their professions in Southwest WA. My wife and I love the work life balance that goes along with the franchise opportunity.

Cons

In sales, it's never fun dealing with rejection. We can be our best employee or our worst employee with how we manage our time. Anyone in business has good days and bad days and like any business owner, it's up to you to pull yourself out of those tough days. We can reach out to our fellow franchise owners to help with that.

Advice to Management

Typically someone who takes longer than 6 months to go through ramp-up and take their publication to print isn't going to be a good long term fit because they don't have the drive to push themself. I think it would be helpful to have a clause in the franchise agreement that says something like, someone needs to achieve ramp-up in 6 months or less or they will not be allowed to be a franchise owner.

4. "Area Director"

Current Employee - Area Director in Sacramento, CA
    Current Employee - Area Director in Sacramento, CA

I have been working at N2 Publishing full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Work on my own time. My 'so called' managers are more like mentors and friends, than managers. This is a medium sized company, but I never feel like I'm working for corporate America. N2 cares about your family and work/life balance. They are there to help you succeed in any way possible. The culture is like no other! Everyone I work with is awesome, encouraging, helpful, supportive...NO WORK DRAMA...ever!

Cons

Just the stress of owning your own business. This is a franchise, so I am responsible! I have never owned my own business before, so sometimes that feels overwhelming.

Advice to Management

Really none!

5. "Over a Decade of Great Times at N2 Publishing!"

Current Employee - Area Director in Saint Louis, MO
    Current Employee - Area Director in Saint Louis, MO

I have been working at N2 Publishing full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Coworkers that are like a second family, work-life balance, autonomy, abilities to learn, grow and personally develop, and opportunities for leadership development are just some of the reasons I loved my time with N2 Publishing (almost 13 years now).

I couldn't say enough good things about this company and its culture. I may not stay with the company for life, but I honestly can't imagine what it would take to get me to leave them.

Cons

I can't really think of any downsides of working with N2....the only downsides with the Area Director role would be the same downsides you'd find working for yourself in any position. If you can't handle working for yourself, where you are responsible for your own livelihood and future, then don't buy this franchise. But if you CAN legitimately handle running your own business, then you'd be remiss not to look into this company.

Advice to Management

Keep up the great work!

6. "Great company!"

Current Employee - Area Director in Baton Rouge, LA
    Current Employee - Area Director in Baton Rouge, LA

I have been working at N2 Publishing full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

This is a great opportunity if you are willing to work. As with most franchises, all of the legwork has been done, you just need to follow the program. Up front cost are low, income potential is really good.

Cons

It takes work to make this happen! If you want to be your own boss where you can kick back and prop your feet up while the money falls into your lap, you need a reality check. No business works that way. Being your own boss means working hard. It can easily be done in a 40 hour week but you have to be driven and intentional.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you are doing! N2 continues to grow and change and management continues to grow and change with it. You will never hear "well this is the way we've always done it" from n2. They are always willing to make changes to evolve the business.

7. "Area Director"

Former Employee - Area Sales Director
    Former Employee - Area Sales Director

I worked at N2 Publishing full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great group of team members!

Cons

Achieving high profit levels is challenging if you are not in a major metro.

8. "Opportunity to control my future"

Current Employee - Area Director in Peoria, IL
    Current Employee - Area Director in Peoria, IL

I have been working at N2 Publishing full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

N2 provided me with the opportunity to set my own business goals and run my own franchise. I am far from the best but the company culture is very supportive, and I know that my future growth is in my control. I have been with the company for over 4 years and, like all things in life, continue to to learn and grow. Corporate Culture is a big factor at N2 and people that are open to learning will do well.

The flexibility of the position also allowed me the freedom the take care of family during a recent medical need. I was able to control my own schedule to maintain my local publication and be available to family. A luxury rarely found in the corporate world.

Cons

You will need to leave an "employee" mind set at the door and be disciplined to run your local area. It took me a while to adjust to that at first, but I would not have it any other way now.

9. "Amazing Company"

Current Employee - Area Director in Durham, NC
    Current Employee - Area Director in Durham, NC

I have been working at N2 Publishing full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I absolutely love working here, and I plan to be here until I retire (so another 20 years). From the very start, when I was being interviewed for the position, N2 has been clear on what the job is and what the job isn't. It's not easy to go for several months without a paycheck, but they are very clear that this is what you will do at first, and if you work hard and have an ALL IN attitude, it will be SO worth it. I make a very nice income, have A TON of flexibility with my schedule, and I love the people I work with and work for. The leadership and training is second to none. I truly love it here, so I recruited one of my good friends, and she just made it to print and became an Area Director! N2 gives a very generous recruiting bonus, but that is not even why I recruited her. I knew she was looking for something she would love, and I knew this opportunity would be a nice fit for her personality, talents, and would provide the balance she was looking for with her family.

Cons

Cold calling. This is the only part of my job that I don't like, but I knew it was part of the job going into it, and its only a small portion. The amount you need to do is totally doable, and so worth it.

Advice to Management

For the founders club trip, I would love to see a cash option.

10. "Area Director"

Current Employee - Area Director in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Area Director in Seattle, WA

I have been working at N2 Publishing full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Flexibility, unlimited income potential, sociable, socially conscious company

Cons

After doing this for almost six years, I still don't have any cons.