N2 Publishing Reviews | Glassdoor

4.6
N2 Publishing CEO Duane Hixon
Duane Hixon

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • N2 Publishing provides the perfect opportunity for me to manage my Work-Life Balance goals (in 19 reviews)

• The pros of working with N2 is that you are never alone in the job (in 18 reviews)

Cons
  • Cooperation among local Area Directors / team members is essential to the happiness and success of the regional team (in 17 reviews)

• The only one I can think of would be if you are not disciplined as a business owner (in 10 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Where Life Imitates Vacation!"

Current Employee - Area Director in Baltimore, MD
    Current Employee - Area Director in Baltimore, MD

I have been working at N2 Publishing full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

When I moved to Maryland we bought a home in a subdivision that had a sign that said "Where Life Imitates Vacation". Because we were moving to a new area I decided to get out of the corporate rat race and work for myself. At the time there were only 30 magazines in the US. So in July 2010 I started ramping up my own magazine. I did not know a soul here so I put my feet to the pavement and met some really wonderful business owners who took a chance and trusted me to do what I promised. They are still advertising and have added other publications.

Working with N2 you set your own schedule so traveling or working around kids schedules is easy. That does not mean you don't work that means you work around it. I love people so this job is perfect for me. Meeting residents and business owners is fun for me. Introducing them has been lucrative for me. Fun and a nice paycheck is win win in my book. As an AD you wear many hats in my business and that suits me. The support from N2 and the continual education is terrific. Some of my closest friends are found in my N2 family!

Cons

N2 is a relatively new company so there is always change. If you have ever worked for a stagnated company you realize this is really a positive. It is always a change for the better and the leadership listens to you and does what is best for all. If you are not a self starter this will be hard for you. You can't sit home and expect this to be successful. Balance in my life was what I was looking for and this setting allows for that.

Advice to Management

The truth is I think it is perfect just like it is! Sure there are issues but that is all business. I find that they jump on the issues and solve them. I will be 80 years old and still out selling advertising and completing deadlines!
    I love what I do!

2. "My Best Job Yet!"

Current Employee - Area Director in Fort Myers, FL
    Current Employee - Area Director in Fort Myers, FL

I have been working at N2 Publishing full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Working at N2 is one of the most challenging positions I have ever held; however, it is wonderful to work with a company that strives to deliver a high quality publication for the residents of some of the most affluent communities in the US. The challenge in getting to print was real...I had my ups and downs, but the support that I received from my leaders was wonderful as they experienced the same challenges at one point so they were very understanding and supportive. The company is always looking at how to improve upon what we do, therefore, nothing gets old for me. It is wonderful to work with people who genuinely appreciate me, challenge me and support me every step of the way.

The biggest pro of working at N2 is the respect and understanding of our leaders, the flexible schedule that we have and the friendships that you make through the company and in meeting your residents. Everyone communicates and helps you to solve any issues or challenges in a positive way. We have healthy sales competitions to push us, back to basics training sessions and the opportunity to speak one on one with a leader at least once a week. All of our leaders want what is best for us and our families. They genuinely care! Promoting a positive culture in everything that we do is what sets us apart from other companies.

Cons

I can't think of any...really! Ok, maybe Monday phone days.

Advice to Management

It is a wonderful company, I honestly can't think of anything to make it better!

3. "A High Integrity Company with an Outstanding Opportunity"

Current Employee - Area Director in Tampa, FL
    Current Employee - Area Director in Tampa, FL

I have been working at N2 Publishing full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The culture, operations and opportunities for growth both personal and professional at N2 Publishing are far beyond anything I have experienced in my previous career. The N2 culture is one of constant consideration for your fellow co-worker and when there is friction, it is dealt with immediately through communication and an understanding that we all are equals and no one is in competition with his co-worker.

Operationally, N2 has put together a team of the highest skilled technology experts and process managers that has enabled them to build a system that allows for infinite scalability while the interface with the user is not only extremely simple but also intuitive and designed with the end-user in mind. Unlike the typical corporate process of bringing in IT staff and building systems from the back-end and then trying to build a user-interface to match, N2 started from the user interface perspective and challenged their IT professionals to find solutions to complete the project. Additionally, unlike my experiences in the corporate world, N2 tests the systems in house, then with a small group of selected real-world users who help in refining the processes and identifying any bugs. They continue that process until it is seamless and then they launch rather than doing the typical "we will launch it and see what problems arise".

N2 owners and executives have a vision for their company and a passion for their people that is unique. Anyone who is fortunate enough and has the will to successfully launch a publication with this company can achieve whatever goals they aspire to. This is not a 9 to 5 corporate job where you clock in and clock out. It is a lifestyle and when you are required to work to meet your goals, you must work hard and follow the program but when you have achieved your goals, you can relax and just maintain your business. Some people take as much as two to three months off and still maintain their income levels. There are few opportunities when this is possible.

Cons

Watching people who are not prepared mentally to fully commit to building their own business. It takes a certain personality type as well as motivation to launch a business. You have to have a passion for it and if you don't you will not survive at N2 or as a business owner. If a person comes to N2 thinking that it is like corporate America where you can mail-it-in and be successful, they will leave and most likely blame N2 Publishing for their failure. I see some reviews about N2 and I can immediately read between the lines and see that the individual had the expectation of ownership that was unrealistic. Business owners work harder (especially in the early days) than their employees and when they are not actively working, they are thinking of how to make their business more successful. If this is not what someone is committed to doing, then they should stay in corporate life.

Advice to Management

Continue to look for growth in niche publications. I think that a more comprehensive process in selecting prospective ADC's would result in a higher success rate. Also, continuing to vet the communities where we will attempt a launch based on the criteria that fits, including the social activity within the community.

The most important addition to attract competent prospective ADC's would be to have a group health insurance opportunity for the franchisees as I have spoken to many people whose spouses would either join them in their businesses or open additional publications if they were not required to work in a corporate environment just for the purpose of providing insurance for their family.

4. "Wonderful Opportunity"

Current Employee - Area Director in Plantation, FL
    Current Employee - Area Director in Plantation, FL

I have been working at N2 Publishing full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Unlimited income potential and flexible schedule. Management that cares about the people in the company, and the consistent improvements and incentives that exemplify that concern.

For the past 31/2 years I have had the pleasure of owning my own business. The training and program that n2 publishing delivers has enabled me to learn the business and build a profitable publication. The networking and fellowship with n2 leaders and colleagues helps me to strengthen and grow my business, develop friendships and develop personally and professionally.

Cons

Autonomous daily work environment which demands a lot of self-discipline

Advice to Management

Continue to listen to the needs of the Area Directors and others in the field and make necessary changes or improvements that support our efforts.

5. "Work-Life Balance"

Current Employee - Area Director in Stuart, FL
    Current Employee - Area Director in Stuart, FL

I have been working at N2 Publishing full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Flexibility
    Unlimited growth potential
    Financially rewarding
    Personally rewarding

N2 Publishing provides the perfect opportunity for me to manage my Work-Life Balance goals. I love owning my own business while enjoying the strong support system in place. Across the board, everyone within the organization consistently offers advice and encouragement simply because they want to see me attain my personal and professional goals.

I am free to work whatever hours and whatever days suit my schedule. Without the pressure of a "boss" looking over my shoulder, I've been able to build a very successful business that still allows me to enjoy personal time with my family and friends. I feel blessed to have found this company...

Cons

Honestly, I've got nothing to say.

Advice to Management

I would like to see more frequent Impact Meetings. I think bringing the local Area Directors together monthly would greatly impact the entire organization.

"Prepare for your future..."

Current Employee - Area Director in Greensboro, NC
    Current Employee - Area Director in Greensboro, NC

I have been working at N2 Publishing full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Sales Training and Development.
    Unlimited Income Potential.
    Unlimited Growth Potential.
    Ability to create and work my own schedule.
    Time with family is valued, encouraged, and celebrated by our leadership.
    Trust is everything... from our CEO, President, and leadership teams, I count these men and women as trusted friends

After a 25 year career in Sales and Marketing for new home builders and luxury real estate, I was looking for an opportunity to own my own business, create my own schedule, and build a business that I could someday pass down to my children. Celebrating my 4th year in print, I have only one regret... why didn't I do this sooner!

Cons

After four (4) years, I genuinely haven't had a single negative experience with N2 Publishing!

Advice to Management

One of my favorite quotes is "God is preparing His heroes. When the opportunity comes, He will fit them into their places in a moment. And the world will wonder where they came from." - A.B. Simpson

If you are looking for a place to grow, be challenged, be encouraged, and be prepared for the future... welcome home!

7. "The only career you'll ever need"

Current Employee - Area Director in Colorado Springs, CO
    Current Employee - Area Director in Colorado Springs, CO

I have been working at N2 Publishing full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

You are the creator/producer or a product that people genuinely love.
    Work for yourself.
    Flexibility.
    Unlimited income.
    Constant sales training and support.
    Creativity.
    Great people.

I never imagined myself as a business owner, but comparing my career and lifestyle/flexibility to my friends outside N2 Publishing, I can't imagine doing anything else. N2 provides everything anyone would ever need to run a successful business.

The product we produce is something people genuinely enjoy and it's fun and fulfilling getting to be a minor celebrity in the areas we work with.

My favorite part of working at N2 Publishing are the people. Everyone is so positive and inspiring... And, while we work apart in each of our own territories, we rarely feel like we are alone as we are always connected through our group texts, social media, happy hours, impact meetings, and national conferences. With N2, I feel like I have true family members in every city across the country.

Cons

Self discipline is necessary.
    Cold calling is necessary.
    Not every business is guaranteed results—though that is expected with advertising.
    3 - 6 period of time at the beginning where you don't make consistent money.

Advice to Management

None. It's phenomenal.

8. "An opportunity like no other"

Current Employee - Area Director in Lafayette, LA
    Current Employee - Area Director in Lafayette, LA

I have been working at N2 Publishing full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I am in control of my own destiny (the money I make).
    I set my own schedule.
    I've formed relationships with a lot of resourceful people.
    It's a very Christian company with an extremely resourceful and dependable support system.

N2 has been a great experience for me. It was my first job out of college and it taught me the value of persistence, hard work, and self discipline. It is a roller coaster of emotions, but I wouldn't trade my experience for anything.

Cons

I had to learn to accept hearing "no" the majority of the time.
    If you don't learn how to control your attitude, it's really easy to let the negative take control.

Advice to Management

I give N2 an A+ as a company, but if there was one thing I would suggest improving on it would be the area director/creative team communication system.

9. "Why I love my Job"

Current Employee - Area Director in Richmond, VA
    Current Employee - Area Director in Richmond, VA

I have been working at N2 Publishing full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I was very skeptical when I heard the N2 story. What I learned from my ramp up and time since going to print is that everything that I was told was truth. It does work and the residents do love the publications. I also have learned from the management team how to find the right businesses for our communities and find a sustainable way to make a living to support my family and build financial freedom. What I have also learned in that the spiritual message that N2 lives by gives me hope on a daily basis that I am working for a good company that aligns with my core values. This motivates me and keeps me moving and happy. I have a structure for success with N2. For this I am grateful.

You have the freedom to work the way you want within reason. You can set your goals and markers and go for it. There is time for rest and recuperate without many of the problems that come with being in a W2 environment. The opportunity for a high income level and staying connected to the community. Working with people I respect and can learn from. Growing through an effective coaching platform. Being supported form an emotional and spiritual level by N2

Cons

Too much flexibility can lead to apathy.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you are doing, don't go W2 and don't sell.
    Provide co-op medical or financial services.

10. "Life is Good!"

Current Employee - Area Director in University Park, TX
    Current Employee - Area Director in University Park, TX

I have been working at N2 Publishing full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Quality of life, income, culture, the product, setting my own schedule.

was recruited into N2 Publishing by another Area Director. I met with him about advertising my insurance business. When he told me about working from home, the income, and culture I thought it was a scam. I personally knew two of his advertisers so I called them. They had nothing but good things to say about N2 Publishing and the Area Director. I called him back and we talked. He explained that getting to print was a tough and challenging road but worth the effort. It was tough but worth the effort. For the past four years my life has been, making good money, working from home, spending time with my family, working with people I consider some of my best friends, working with clients and residents that are fun. So life is good and I'm thankful that N2 Publishing created this business model and wonderful product for me to build a business around.

Cons

Getting to print and the first year is tough. It's mentally challenging and can cause a person to have self doubt. It is a bit of a challenge to muscle through but is good because it builds a culture of dedicated hard workers.

Advice to Management

Leadership is really good at this but just to reiterate. In a tough sales environment, people can become paranoid and start self doubting. I would say just keep up the reassurance to the ADCs and ADs that it is possible and leadership is always there for support.