N2 Publishing Reviews | Glassdoor

4.4
Rating Trends Rating Trends
N2 Publishing CEO Duane Hixon
Duane Hixon

Pros
  • The pros of working with N2 is that you are never alone in the job (in 16 reviews)

• I was able to reach out to mentors, field support and other Area Directors as often as needed (in 28 reviews)

Cons
  • Cooperation among local Area Directors / team members is essential to the happiness and success of the regional team (in 17 reviews)

• Is it a con that it requires hard work to be successful (in 7 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Incredible Company With Incredible Leaders"

Current Employee - Area Director in Miami, FL
    Current Employee - Area Director in Miami, FL

I have been working at N2 Publishing full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I started working with N2 Publishing in March of 2015. There were no publications in Miami at the time and it is not an easy market to work in. In 6 months I was already in print and making 5k+ in residual per month.

There are 3 major areas of the business: sales, networking and gathering content from residents, and organizing small events. N2 completely prepares you to be successful in all of the different aspects of the business. There are 2 conference calls per week with amazing leaders / speakers that address several areas of the business. There are 3 major conferences per year that require a short distance of travel, but are very beneficial for improving your skills, attitude and understanding of the business.

The first six months of working in the business are most likely going to revolve solely on sales. Once your publication is ready to go to print, you must balance sales, and networking / gathering content from residents, and organizing small events. It takes a few weeks / months to really get the hang of doing all those things at the same time, but it becomes increasingly easier the longer you are in the company. Over 800 people have been able to learn to balance these things and run a successful business. So that should tell you, that pretty much anyone can do it, if they are willing to follow the system that N2 has designed.

By August of 2016 there were 3 publications in print in the Miami market (2 of which are mine), and I was making 12k+ plus per month in residual. The hardest part of N2 is managing your emotions and the ups and downs of sales (as in any sales job), as well as keeping your activity level up (as you do not have a boss breathing down your neck and making sure you are working).

My work life balance is way better than a traditional 9-5 business. I have been able to take numerous vacations and spontaneous 3 day weekends with my family. I have 2 small children under 3 years old so although my life is quite busy, the lifestyle I can live with N2 is truly unparalleled.

If you can handle sales, and are a people person that connects well with individuals, this could be an amazing job for you.

Pros of working at N2?

- Support and mentoring from incredible leaders.
    - Ability to make great income working 40 or less hours per week.
    - Flexibility in schedule.
    - Owning your own business that you can sell at a later date.
    - Plenty of opportunities to move up in management.
    - N2 invests in helping their employees grow in their personal lives.

Cons

- Must be willing to be humble and follow the N2 program, even if you think you could come up with a better system.
    - You will have to learn to manage the roller-coaster of emotions that surround a sales job that is 100% commission.
    - You will have to learn to be organized and manage several unrelated tasks at the same time.
    - You will have to learn how to have faith that if you do the work, the results will come.

Advice to Management

Continue to do what you are doing!

2. "Hard work, but forever Grateful!"

Current Employee - Area Director in Portland, OR
    Current Employee - Area Director in Portland, OR

I have been working at N2 Publishing full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Before coming to N2 Publishing, I had just graduated college and tried working on my own as a rookie graphic designer and social media freelancer. I had always wanted to own my own business, but quickly realized that I didn't have a system or process in place to acquire new business. I also was working 24/7 and would sometimes not be paid. It was a nightmare. Naturally, I began looking for a 9-5 job online.

I will be forever grateful for what I found instead. I was instantly intrigued by the Area Director position with N2, something inside told me this was a concept and business model worth researching. I watched all the videos and decided to apply. Before I knew it I was in training and came back home ready to go. It took me 5 months to launch my first publication. The tools and ongoing support that I had all along the way from my leaders at N2 was more than I had hoped for. The system they had in place to help me print my first publication had worked! I soon realized that I can make more doing this than I could have ever made at a 9-5 job. Yes, being in this position can be challenging at times, and it is hard work at times, but lets face it, nothing good worth having comes easy. I didn't come into this job thinking it would be easy. I just maintained a positive attitude, I believed in the mission of the company, and worked the system and process they have in place.

Now that I am three years into this role, I am surprised by how much I love what I do. I love connecting with residents from the community that I work with, as well as the clients that help support it. Coming from a marketing background, I also love how this product we offer our business clients is such an efficient way for them to reach their target market. I am constantly growing myself as a sales professional and neighborhood connector.

It is important for me to always have an attitude of gratitude for what I do, it pushes me to keep growing, and I think that is what has kept me here for three years.

Pros of working at N2?

-The flexibility to schedule your week. Work as hard or as little as I want.
    -A home office team that takes care of accounting, design and support for any questions I have
    -A leadership team that cares about my best interest and provides training calls, conferences, and a wealth of resources for us to succeed.
    -Personalized mentorship
    -Residual income, with unlimited growth potential
    -Ability to take time off whenever I want

Cons

-Clients who don't pay for various reasons
    -Managing mistakes that can come up in print deadlines, or clients that are hard to please
    -If I am not careful with my time, and don' take time to motivate myself, I can experience burn out sometimes.
    -If a client doesn't renew

Advice to Management

-Explaining printing costs and the way that works.
    -Maybe having a shared health care option? Something that we can buy into?
    -Since we are all independent, not every area director is easy to work with, and some can use questionable business practices, this can ruin the N2 brand within a market over time, and cause frustration to Area Directors who have to work directly with these types of Area Directors... I guess it inevitable in a company this size, and as long as those in leadership are aware of these Area Directors and working with them - that is one solution.

"Best Job Ever!"

Current Employee - Area Director in Lewisville, NC
    Current Employee - Area Director in Lewisville, NC

I have been working at N2 Publishing full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I love my job! The sky is the limit on what you can earn! You build relationships with business owners and residents in your community! I love to see businesses grow from advertising with us. I love the events that we have that bring people closer. I like how I can make my own schedule and can spend more time with my four year old son. Flexibility is great!

All of the above.
    Flexibility, I'm a people person so I love building relationships with my community. The income you can earn is up to you!
    I get to spend more time with my family. The calls with N2 are helpful and keep me motivated.

Cons

Zero. Can't think of any.

Advice to Management

I would just maybe suggest having a local conference in your own area so that people with kids won't miss out on anything! I don't like missing conferences because I feel like I learn a lot!

"Great fit for an entrepreneur with sales focus"

Current Employee - Area Director in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Area Director in Houston, TX

I have been working at N2 Publishing full-time (More than a year)

Pros

As an entrepreneur, I wanted to start a service based business with upside income potential and with some "back office" support. This was the perfect fit! This has been an amazing experience and as true in life--you get out of it what you put in it!!

If you want a job--look somewhere else. If you want to build a company--consider N2 Publishing!

Pros:

Top-notch initial training and video and training aids for on-going support. Honest and ethical management. Team environment. Once you are in print -- no monthly pressures to reach unrealistic goals like other sales-focused jobs. Flexible scheduling and Time Freedom!

Cons

You must be self-motivated to succeed. Once in print, if you quit selling for prolonged period of time--your business will shrink.

Advice to Management

Keep up the great work!!

N2 Publishing Response

May 11, 2017 – Marketing Coordinator

Well said! I love the term "entrepreneur with a sales focus." Thanks for sharing! -Sara

"N2 helps their Area Directors succeed"

Current Employee - Area Director in Lakewood, WA
    Current Employee - Area Director in Lakewood, WA

I have been working at N2 Publishing full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I came from 23 years of Retail experience and 9 years in State Government. I am not a sales person, nor a writer, publisher or graphic designer. Yet I have been provided the tools from N2 to successfully accomplish sales, finding writers and publishing my monthly magazine. The training at N2 is phenomenal. The entire staff truly cares about their employees and their Area Directors. I've received incredible support in the short time I have been with N2 helping me launch a successful publication in the Lakewood Washington area.

The positive aspects of working with N2 is the flexible schedule and the support I receive from each and every person affiliated with N2. It is definitely a family culture from the Top down. The training is also excellent - everything from the N2 University, weekly training conference calls, personal support, as well as the training conferences - three times a year (which N2 pays our hotel, most food, and the conference fees).

Cons

The only negatives about working with N2 is that we are running our own business. Unless you actively stay involved with neighboring Area Directors, you could easily find yourself without ambition to further your publication and continue its growth. Basically... if you're not a self-starter, do not attempt this position.

Advice to Management

Can't think of anything that would make N2 a better company.

N2 Publishing Response

May 1, 2017 – Marketing Coordinator

Very cool. Thank you for sharing. It's so meaningful and encouraging for us to hear that you feel supported at N2. That's always our goal. Thanks, again, for sharing. We love hearing it!

"My time at N2"

Current Employee - Area Director in Baltimore, MD
    Current Employee - Area Director in Baltimore, MD

I have been working at N2 Publishing full-time (More than a year)

Pros

When starting with N2 it was an unknown to me. The training and hands on approach that was taken from day one was invaluable. I was able to reach out to mentors, field support and other Area Directors as often as needed. This allowed me to build my confidence quickly and work along with people who genuinely care about you and your success.

Pros of working at N2?

Financial success, flexible hours, great people, a company who lives their mission statement each day

Cons

The only cons are getting yourself organized and self motivated. You are your own boss. The success you achieve depends on the work you are willing to put in each day.

Advice to Management

None at the moment

"Why I choose N2"

Current Employee - Area Director in North Barrington, IL
    Current Employee - Area Director in North Barrington, IL

I have been working at N2 Publishing full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I started as an Account Executive and took over an existing publication after 4-5 months.

I love the flexibility that N2 gives me. I have two young kids and want to be involved with everything they do. I want to go on field trips and volunteer at their schools. I coach both of their soccer teams as well. My husband works long hours, so I also have to be available when they get home from school for activities, homework and dinner.
    I also love that N2 encourages us to run our own race. For some that means being the primary breadwinner running multiple books. For others, that means supplementing the family income by running 1 book. Either way, there's no pressure. They accept where you are in your race and what your goals are.

Cons

I have a difficult time getting my residents to participate. Hopefully that will eventually change, but content is a challenge for me right now.

Advice to Management

Offering a health insurance option would be great. Whether it's group or a buy in. A lot of people can't do this job because they need a job with insurance options.

9. "My Evolvement N2 Journey"

Current Employee - Area Director in Lakeland, FL
    Current Employee - Area Director in Lakeland, FL

I have been working at N2 Publishing full-time (More than a year)

Pros

This journey has been the greatest blessing in my life second to the birth of my Son! This opportunity came across my path at the perfect time in my life and has helped me grow as a person and strengthen my character.

Thank you Duane and Earl for your vision, passion and this opportunity! Thank you to Chris Wirsing and Nicole for believing in me (even when I didn't believe in myself) and for never giving up on me!

N2 came along when I was at my lowest and broken, this opportunity allowed me to fix myself and my life. I am eternally grateful.

Pros:

Flexibility in your schedule, income opportunity, the ability to MAKE a HUGE difference in the residents lives, what we do enriches their world. The difference we get to make with the businesses that partner with us.
    The most AMAZING support system inside this company I have ever seen in a group of folks!

I brag on our N2 family to everyone! We are never ever alone. For all of this and more I thank you from the bottom of my heart.

Cons

The only one I can think of would be if you are not disciplined as a business owner.

I have zero cons!! I love what I do to the moon and beyond!

Advice to Management

The only suggestion would be to offer health insurance to us.

10. "A little grit goes a long way"

Current Employee - Area Director in Fargo, ND
    Current Employee - Area Director in Fargo, ND

I have been working at N2 Publishing full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I started to ramp up my first publication in Minot, ND when I was 7 months pregnant with my 2nd daughter. Went to training late August, pounded the streets selling from that point until mid-October when I had my baby, took time off through the holidays returning to work on January 2nd, and then finished ramp-up/launched my publication in March 2015. I ran that publication for a year and a half before embarking on a new adventure by expanding to the Fargo market and launching two more ...one in April 2016 and the other in September 2016. It took a lot of GRIT...with my second market being several miles away, it was 5 months of long work days, time traveling away from family, and a lot of coffee. But all with an end goal in mind that would benefit us all, we were able to achieve it together as a family!

Pros of working at N2?

- I set my own schedule and am able to work part-time the majority of the year (some seasons I hit harder)
    - I get to take my summers off to be with my kids without worry
    - Huge financial impact - freeing us of debt, allowing us to purchase our first camper, helping us help others through donations and so much more
    - Sense of camaraderie and belonging with a company that shares my core values, work ethic and faith; there is always someone there to encourage you - because they've been there too!
    - Knowing that you're helping make personal connections and hopefully long lasting relationships between families, as well as local business owners that goes well beyond transactional conversations. It's true connectedness -- and I get to help make it happen!
    - I get to meet and get to know so many amazing people every day! I am blessed each day by the people I get to connect with.
    - There's an entire (talented) team at corporate (and abroad) to support nearly every need that could arise
    - N2 has two amazing founders that inspire me to be a better person every single day. They lead this company by setting the example of what greatness in a human being can truly look like (through the grace of God) ...selfless, generous, kind, thoughtful, compassionate, and full of grace. I could go on and on about this one...

Cons

It was definitely a challenge to ramp up without receiving an income that entire time. But that's the reality of starting up "your own business" - whether it's with them or something else. You just have to be ready to fight for what you want. Put in the time, energy and sacrifices in the short term-to reap the long term benefits. Believe me... it's worth it!

Sometimes the fact that you're truly a "business owner" can be challenging if you're not prepared for it as well. Staying on top of tax stuff, headache of staffing, etc.

Advice to Management

I think there's a lot of room for improvement with the creative department and the processes that have been implemented since the new creative director came on board....too much to list here, but that would be my one piece of feedback.

"Working with N2"

Current Employee - Area Director in Granite Bay, CA
    Current Employee - Area Director in Granite Bay, CA

I have been working at N2 Publishing full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

N2 Publishing is a wonderful and positive environment. The in-house staff as well as the leaders out in the field are extremely helpful and encouraging through every phase as you build your publication. Everyone works as a team to achieve the goals at hand. I feel that the leaders really try to help you enhance your strengths and grow as a person. I love that N2 is about having a balance in life, both personal and business.

Pros of working at N2?

Flexibility in making your own work hours. Ability to tap into the creative side through story ideas and events. Meeting wonderful new neighbors and connecting them with each other as well as our sponsors.

Cons

Sometimes difficult to get our sponsors to see the value of long term agreements and to stay in for the long haul as we are trying to brand them throughout the community. Getting the residents to fully comprehend that they should call our sponsors for their needs.

Advice to Management

none at the time