N2 Publishing Reviews | Glassdoor

4.6
N2 Publishing CEO Duane Hixon
Duane Hixon

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "N2 Publishing provides the perfect opportunity for me to manage my Work-Life Balance goals" (in 22 reviews)

• "The pros of working with N2 is that you are never alone in the job" (in 18 reviews)

Cons
  • "Cooperation among local Area Directors / team members is essential to the happiness and success of the regional team" (in 20 reviews)

• "You have to have a passion for it and if you don't you will not survive at N2 or as a business owner" (in 11 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Impossible Made Possible"

Current Employee - Area Director in Vancouver, WA
    Current Employee - Area Director in Vancouver, WA

I have been working at N2 Publishing full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

My wife and I had talked about working together in business but had no idea what it would look like. We knew we wanted more freedoms with our time and we wanted to be able to raise our kids and not have a daycare do that for us. This was our simple vision 3.5 years ago when we took a leap of faith with N2. In that time we've met many incredible business owners that we work with in the community and residents that love participating in the publication and look forward to getting it each month. The community has really adopted us and we are able to raise our little girl and experience parenting in a way that many people do not get to. After 9 months of being in print with N2 my wife was able to leave her job in HR. And after 12 months of being in print we passed the income of our previous combined salaries. N2 has exceeded our expectations.

The business model is almost as incredible as the people that make up the culture. The support that we have is exceptional as a franchise owner. I really appreciate the N2 Culture Deck and being apart of a company that does what they say they will do and treats people the way they would like to be treated. We truly have ownership over our business with this franchise model and there are many other business models where the business OWNS you!

Cons

We don't get to see some good friends very often that my wife and I have made because they live in other parts of the country.

Advice to Management

Let's bring a client appreciation event to the Northwest in 2018 like we recently did in the Midwest to share on a larger level the positive changes that are happening through N2.

2. "Best Place to Work!"

Current Employee - Creative Director in Wilmington, NC
    Current Employee - Creative Director in Wilmington, NC

I have been working at N2 Publishing full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

From day one, everyone is so inviting and awesome to work with. I think the best part of this company is the emphasis on its people and building camaraderie. I go to work everyday loving what I do and what we design for our Neighborhoods. As we grow as a company we also build better relationships within the communities our product reaches.

Great culture! I have worked in other places in the past and N2 by far has the best culture. We are always willing to go the extra mile to help out in our personal lives and also in the work environment. We also have an awesome product with new products launching as we grow. I love being able to help my team grow as designers and also produce a high quality publication.

Cons

I work in the home office but we also have sales people in the field that sale ads to clients. This doesn't happen too often in the almost 1000 publications we do but sometimes the clients can be a little upset with their ad for a variety of reasons. Sometimes the client does not know exactly what they are looking for or sometimes there might be some communication gaps between so many people. The one good thing is that we always try and make it right with the client. We want them to be proud of the ad we created and will do our best to make sure that happens.

Advice to Management

As the company grows I hope we still have the small business mindset. I have always disliked working for the "corporate" companies because they are so unattached from their people. At N2 we are not just another number that can be easily replaced by someone else we are family and I hope we continue that value moving forward.

3. "N2 Gives You Everything You Need To Succeed - Just Do The Work!"

Current Employee - Area Director in Raleigh, NC
    Current Employee - Area Director in Raleigh, NC

I have been working at N2 Publishing full-time (More than a year)

Pros

My wife and I are so grateful that we found N2. I've experienced two polar opposites in my previous two careers. First, I had a low stress job with great hours but almost no pay. Then I had an extremely high stress job with insane hours and great pay. Neither one worked for my family. With N2, there is no stress, I see my family 10x more than I did before and the pay has exceeded my previous, stress-filled career. You definitely need to be self-motivated and have personal discipline to succeed. However, if you have integrity, drive, humility and a positive attitude - the sky is the limit with N2!

N2 absolutely cares about their employees. That shows in every little thing they do. They invest, tangibly, in their people. They have a work/life balance care team. The training and one-on-one accountability they offer is first rate. The online resources and in-person conferences are really top-notch and easily accessible. They do not leave you on an island but provide absolutely everything you need to succeed.

The N2 opportunity is unlike anything I have ever come across. It's proven all across the country. You are not alone. You can build a 6 figure+ income in less than 40 hours a week if you simply do the work. (Keep in mind this isn't a fantasy land - you must do the work.) However if you do, check this out: I take over 2 months off a year and still have a growing, profitable business. My wife and I have enjoyed all the extra time together, I never miss any of my kid's sports anymore and I've re-connected with some close friends. The N2 life has made all of that possible.

Cons

Once you make it to print an are up and running, there can be a temptation to slow down and just collect your check. You should treat this business like any other job and put in a normal, healthy 9-5, five-day work week. If you do that, then you won't allow the unlimited flexibility to derail you and slow down your growth. What we do is not easy - but it is simple. Again, people who are mentally strong with positive attitudes will do very, very well.

Advice to Management

I'm excited about some of the new products we are developing. It would be great for those products to have wider availability throughout the company. That's something that I'm sure will come with time. Also, if there was a way to tie in some national campaigns to our current (numerous) strong local presences that would be a nice step forward as well. Overall, the management is rock solid. They are men and women of integrity, great skill, fun-loving personalities who listen and care about their employees. Kudos N2! So glad to be a part of the family!

4. "LOVE LOVE N2!!"

Current Employee - Area Sales Director in Castle Pines, CO
    Current Employee - Area Sales Director in Castle Pines, CO

I have been working at N2 Publishing full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

I started out with N2 as an Account Executive responsible for advertising sales for an Area Director with N2. After gaining experience and knowledge about N2 Publishing, I went to a conference and met Duane Hixon and Earl Seales, the CEO and President of N2. They are honest and genuinely care about the people who represent their brand. I decided to take a leap of faith and start my own publication and have been in print for more than four years now.

You are an independent franchisee. I love the freedom and flexibility I have as an Area Director. With this, I am able to spend time with my family near and far when necessary. I can schedule my own time. N2 Publishing offers training and ongoing education to teach you how to run your business the right way. I love meeting new people and learning their stories. Also being able to help make connections between our affluent residents and local businesses in our area. The income potential has no limits.

Cons

You withhold your own taxes and there are no medical benefits or 401K plans. If you want these, you need to be diligent to set up your own plan. The job does include stress with demands for content, deadlines, sales of advertising and ongoing communications with customers, social events you schedule and keeping all the balls in the air for a successful magazine. You can hire help, it is up to you if you want to manage and pay others. There are no set territories for sales...there is a lot of crossover with others as it is a straight commission position.

Advice to Management

The possibility of a group plan for a 401k or benefits would be nice. Same can be said to withhold the taxes due per paycheck. Have clearly defined rules to follow in regard to sales ..so others can't undercut rates or call on existing customers....and follow the "it's easier to ask for forgiveness than permission" attitude. Overall, N2 Publishing is a wonderful company to work for and am proud of all their accomplishments and I am proud to work for them.

5. "Hard Work But Pays Off"

Current Employee - Area Director in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Area Director in Dallas, TX

I have been working at N2 Publishing full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

You reap the rewards for the hard work you do. As someone who comes from a sales and marketing background, majority of companies are only going to pay you a small percentage, n2 does it opposite, where you keep what you work for and only pay them a small % for printing and mailing costs.

Cons

The people that don't do well are those who can't self regulate, you are in charge of yourself- you have help and resources when you need them, but if you don't have an entrepreneur mindset I can't see you enjoying or succeeding in this role.

6. "Area Director"

Current Employee - Area Director in Providence, RI
    Current Employee - Area Director in Providence, RI

I have been working at N2 Publishing full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

This company is a Best-Practice business model with the resident newsletter magazine idustry. N2 is privately-held and the Founders are actively involved in the organization. N2 provides proprietary back-end software systems, and ongoing training, and leadership development programs.

N2 is a Christian-based company with personal, family, financial, and spiritual growth & enrichment opportunities built into the culture. After having spent 18 years in the Newspaper industry, N2 is a breath of fresh air.

The company provides significant opportunities for (residual) income, retirement income, Leadership development, business ownership, and structured Franchise business opportunities. The culture, opportunity, support, and relationships are certainly worth exploring.

Cons

The initial ramp-up period reqires Area Director-candidates to potentially go 3-4 mos. without a guaranteed paycheck. *This requires Focus, endurance, work-ethic, and a Winning attitude to overcome this potential issue. Hundreds of successful AD's have navigated this process / period. A well-designed, already-successful Support Team is in-place to provide hands-on support to achieve success.

*No Group Healthcare coverage available.

7. "Best career decision"

Current Employee - Area Director in Lansing, MI
    Current Employee - Area Director in Lansing, MI

I have been working at N2 Publishing full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Flexible Schedule, Income Potential, Personal/Leadership Development, Corporate Support, Family/Marriage Support.

N2 seems to always work hard to make our jobs easier. They reevaluate the company consistently looking for way to be more efficient and offer as much or as little support as needed.

Cons

N2 is not for everyone, those who want a short cut to success should look somewhere else.

Advice to Management

N2 is always working to support our Area Directors which sometimes turns into over communication which can become overwhelming.

8. "AD"

I have been working at N2 Publishing full-time

Pros

Ownership of your piece of the pie without much more than sweat equity. Ability to be as creative as you want.
    Income is nice.

Cons

If you're not a self starter you can run into problems. There is a lot of support but it still all comes down to you.
    -as in all sales positions.

Advice to Management

More transparency of product, its benefits to our clients and a basic coaching program to provide our clients with to help our approach work for them.

9. "My N2 Experience"

Current Employee - Area Director in Las Colonias, TX
    Current Employee - Area Director in Las Colonias, TX

I have been working at N2 Publishing full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

My N2 experience has been like many of my Fellow Area Directors. I worked very hard to get my Ramp-Up completed. It, with out a doubt, was one of the most challenging things that I ever have taken on. The concept is not difficult but the battle to stay focused and positive throughout the day to day appointments was difficult. In the end, receiving the box full of my first month's issue samples was one of the most gratifying in my life.

I enjoy the tremendous flexibility that N2 provides. In addition, there is truly no limits to the income that you can aspire to make as long as you are willing to do the work to get you there.

Cons

There are no cons from my perspective. There are challenges for sure but they are my own personal challenges. Being my own boss, I have to develop the habits of focused work throughout the day. Many distractions come at us every day and learning to stay focused on the revenue driving activities is a learning curve. After being in a salaried position for many years, you can get complacent. The great thing is that with every sale I make I give myself a raise..

Advice to Management

I am very pleased at the direction that N2 is taking towards balancing growth and customer retention. The January conference in Dallas seemed to lift everyone's spirits. Being a Regional Coach will be a great challenge for me that I am already enjoying. I am flattered and humbled to have the opportunity

10. "Corey's Review"

Current Employee - Area Sales Director in Destin, FL
    Current Employee - Area Sales Director in Destin, FL

I have been working at N2 Publishing full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Flexibility
    Income potential is beyond imaginable.
    The Culture and support of N2 - I have never experienced a company where the founders are "on the floor" with the rest of the company.

Challenging and rewarding - N2 has afforded me a space to grow as an individual, has provided me the tools to become a better person and leader. N2 has also given me the tools to for unlimited income potential.

Cons

One must be disciplined and have the desire and determination to succeed and not be afraid to fall - multiple times.

Advice to Management

Continue driving and stressing the culture. And reaching out to find people who fit our culture.