NAI Northern California Reviews | Glassdoor

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "Top Five Company"

Current Employee - Real Estate Broker in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Real Estate Broker in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at NAI Northern California full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The NAI name opens doors for me. In addition we have an outstanding data base that gives me great prospects. I have also gotten a great deal of business from NAI brokers around the country. The annual events bring in NAI people from all over the world, the next one is in September, so if you are considering NAI, now is a great time to jump on board.

Cons

NAI tend to focus on Investment Properties and our affiliates send in a great deal of tenant rep and leasing assignments. We need to diversify more.

Advice to Management

Find tenant rep brokers to fill in the gaps.

2. "Great experience overall"

Former Employee - Senior Advisor in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Senior Advisor in San Francisco, CA

I worked at NAI Northern California full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great training, culture, and management support. Enormous upside potential. When people under 30 are able to produce in the $500k+ range annually, of course there will be some hard work involved. I loved it. Great company.

Cons

It's a tough business. I saw some turnover from people that just couldn't cut it in sales, but for me, all the tools and support were there. Sales just isn't for everyone.

Advice to Management

Continue growing the number of senior leader/producers

"Look elsewhere...."

I worked at NAI Northern California full-time

Pros

Whenever you need time off you can take it.

Cons

Where to begin. The 'boss' is an egomaniac. I have never encountered someone quite like it. He has been super successful, but will rub it in your face, and will remind you that he is rich and as a new broker, you are poor. He has no problem picking on people in team meetings and singling them out and making them feel stupid because they don't have the knowledge of CRE that he has.
    You have to work with a senior agent for your first 3 deals, but they have their own deals going on, so are very reluctant to help unless it has the potential to make them a lot of money. By the time they are willing to lend a hand the client is gone. Your commission is split a LOT of ways so you end up with a tiny amount of the total. the senior agent gets most of it, even though they've done none of the work. When I got my first check I had done the math & knew what the total amount was, and was shocked to see how little I received. I understand you start out at the bottom but it was a disgrace how much money the company and the senior took. There is 'training' a couple of times a week, but its usually just James making people look stupid by asking them questions only experienced brokers would know the answers to, then ridiculing them when they don't know.
    There is absolutely no benefits of working here. You are expected to supply everything yourself, and are expected to be in the office from 7am until at least 7:30pm (remember, this is commission only so you are not getting paid ANYTHING for these hours).
    Even the company happy hours are pathetic, usually consisting of a 12 pack of beer in the office. You are expected to continue making calls whilst the 'happy hour' is taking place. It is absolutely no surprise the turnover of staff is so high, as it really limits you, and the management is so poor.

Advice to Management

Base pay?
    New management?
    Less % split with senior agents?
    Fun happy hours?

Jun 19, 2017 – Associate VP of Sales Operations

Thank you for your feedback.

It appears from this review that you spent some time at NAI Norcal as a new advisor. We are disappointed that you're experience doesn't align with many who have... More

"Technology but turnover"

I have been working at NAI Northern California full-time

Pros

technology forward company with Salesforce database

Cons

high turnover for agents and staff

5. "Couldn't leave fast enough"

I worked at NAI Northern California full-time

Pros

Met some fantastic people while at NAI

Cons

Without doubt, the most unethical company I've worked for. CEO will threaten pretty much anyone with legal action if he thinks it will get him a discount on goods or services.

Feb 20, 2017 – President

We'll sue you for this review!! Totally kidding :) Seriously though, you're not any employee we know, and you sound exactly like a disgruntled vendor we know. That's okay, we're still happy to... More

"Great team"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I worked at NAI Northern California full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Working for NAI Northern California during my first year out of college was a great experience. The culture is unique, the environment is motivating, and the people are diverse and hungry to succeed. There is a reason why they are one of the top brokerage firms in the Bay Area.

Cons

I enjoyed my time at NAI Northern California from start to finish. Going to miss the people.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work. I'm confident your team will continue to grow and thrive.

Mar 14, 2016 – President

Glad you had such a positive experience. With your positive outlook, we're certain you'll go to far and fantastic places.

"Good Place to work"

Pros

Great team to work with, and lost of potential to move up

Cons

Can get high pressure as you move up, and a lot of big egos to deal with

Feb 1, 2016 – President

Thank you for the 5 stars! Glad you love the team! We love you...anonymous! In a fast-paced space like brokerage, pressure is likely somewhat of a given, although our hope would be that it's... More

8. "Intense Atmosphere, Great Learning"

Pros

There are great learning opportunities here. Because the interns are unpaid, they compensate with a variety of rotations and lecture-style presentations.

Cons

CEO is really intense, they put you in direct competition with the other interns (and as they are unpaid, it's pointless), and they make you do some menial task.

Feb 22, 2016 – President

Thanks for your comments. We are always glad to see someone recognizing the opportunities we provide!

As far as the President's intensity, your feedback is interesting. Perhaps the takeaway is... More

"A Great Culture with Really Good People"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at NAI Northern California full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Commitment to CRE deals in a high collaboration environment. Truly unique!

Transparency and true partnership - however, just as any good partner or friend might do, you're not going to get what you want to hear all the time. Make no mistake we're here to be successful and not just talk about it.

Politics is not the name of the game here. And, you should expect direct communication.

Cons

This is a mid-sized firm with aggressive growth strategies in place. Many people think they deal with change well, but when faced with it might not realize the difficulties.

Advice to Management

With growth comes interesting challenges. Scaling ones growth takes thoughtful leadership which I believe we have. What may be another challenge is identifying and being patient when others are struggling to cope. Keep up the great job of being flexible and soliciting feedback!

"Unprofessional Work Environment"

I worked at NAI Northern California full-time

Pros

The company is growing so fast that everyone is kind of running around like chicken without heads. If you can handle the lack of leadership and the chaotic environment you will be okay. You are able to shape your role and move your career in a direction you want. Just be patient as you will need to herd the sheep and get everyone to move together. Everyone seems to be on a different page.

Cons

The president says inappropriate things. He often freely talks about who he wants to fire while boasting about his wealthy life to those who are less fortunate. People like transparency, but that kind of transparency leaves people uneasy. The president also likes to use his employees for personal projects that involve his investments in new buildings or maybe property that he has purchased.

This company underpays their workers by at least 30%-35%. As an agent, there is no base and you will have to work for rather arrogant senior agents. As an intern you get paid $0 while working 40 hours a week. This can't be legal, right? Overall it is kind of like a frat house with a lot of unhappy people at the bottom. Definitely a top heavy company. No benefits what so ever. Nothing. This company will chew you up and spit you out. Definitely not for those who are soft.

Advice to Management

Treat your agents and employees with respect and with better compensation; management could use some training as well. Keep the office professional. It's rather childish with all those nerf guns.

Jan 11, 2016 – President

Thank you for your feedback and you’re correct in some areas: we're grateful for a successful 2015 with strong growth. Two areas where we have made numerous improvements are hiring and training. We... More