NAPCO Media Reviews | Glassdoor

"Event Manager"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Philadelphia, PA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Philadelphia, PA

I worked at NAPCO Media full-time (More than a year)

Pros

NAPCO was great at getting you a ton of hands on experience. From the time I started to the time I left I learned so much about the industry and was able to advance my marketing and event knowledge considerably. I was given quite a bit of responsibility that I hadn't had in previous roles which very much helped me advance my career to where I am now.

Cons

As mentioned in some of the other reviews, the work load between people within a department tends to be lopsided. Although it was great getting the experience, unless something changes, it is very easy to get burned.

Also, NAPCO is set up as a flat organization. This hierarchy type has a ton of perks, however I found it difficult to move up long term because of it.

"So much potential"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Ridley Park, PA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Ridley Park, PA

I worked at NAPCO Media full-time (More than a year)

Pros

There is some amazing talent with fresh, innovative ideas, and there are always new and exciting projects to work on. Some of the brands are very solid and will definitely stand the test of time.

Cons

This place has so much potential, but can't seem to get it together. Communication is a constant struggle and there are a ton of inequities. Some people are drowning in work while others slide under the radar.

Advice to Management

Pay closer attention to what is really going on from the ground up. Make sure managers are in the trenches enough to REALLY understand the issues people are dealing with. Don't ask people to share & then criticize them when they do. Take action. Don't be all talk.

"Managing Editor"

Former Employee - Managing Editor in Philadelphia, PA
    Former Employee - Managing Editor in Philadelphia, PA

I worked at NAPCO Media full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Total creative freedom, awesome work environment, they trust you with lots of power and responsibility, can work from home some days if needed, rarely need to stay at the office past 5.

Cons

Not a ton of upward mobility.

"True Cinderella story"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Philadelphia, PA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Philadelphia, PA

I have been working at NAPCO Media full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Napco Media (as of last week) is a completely different Napco than I knew it to be this time last year...in a impressive and absolutely positive way. I took the job leaving a start-up as the first employee for a more corporate job which scared me, but I made the move because I was introduced to the now CEO who had a vision for Napco.

Years later, Napco Media has become so much more than anyone envisioned. Together as a company, we have reinvested into the workplace, our people, a complete re-branding of name and values. We are no longer a publishing company, but a new media company and have all the resources at the tip of our fingers to support the new and very much improved Napco Media. I have never been more proud to be apart of an organization that doesn't just talk about change but IS a change agent.

We work hard, we play hard and have a WHOLE lot of fun doing it! Our new website, name and 2015 initiatives will make us a force to reckon with!

Cons

With drastic change, comes some hardships. We are still very much seen as a traditional publishing company and it is hard at times to embrace the plethora of changes that have happened in the past 11 months. But I know we have the people in place to continue our growth and investment in the people and workplace.

Being a Philadelphia based company, we do not get as much recognition in our own community as we should nor have we as a company made as much of an effort to become more community based. But Rome was not build in a day!!!

6. "Challenging, fast-paced company with great potential"

Current Employee - Senior Executive in Phila, PA
    Current Employee - Senior Executive in Phila, PA

I have been working at NAPCO Media full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great location. Smart, focused people. Competitive pay.

Cons

Challenging industry of publishing reinventing itself.

"Doesn't pretend to be anything else"

Former Employee - Senior Editor in Philadelphia, PA
    Former Employee - Senior Editor in Philadelphia, PA

I worked at NAPCO Media full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Promotes from within; very nice, fun people work here; great spot in the city near the Art Museum; decent benefits (but could be better); good team atmosphere; new leadership that's promising; adapting nicely to digital era. Hours are NOT insane and place is not a political mess like so many publishing companies.

Cons

Compensation could be better, so negotiate well upfront. Better benefits would be nice, such as better 401K match or gym membership. Sometimes too many meetings, but what company isn't guilt of that?

"Made no progress in my career, company is not going to survive"

Current Employee - Sales in Philadelphia, PA
    Current Employee - Sales in Philadelphia, PA

I have been working at NAPCO Media full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Nice office (but it's half empty from lots of people quitting or being let go, so I doubt they'll be there long), some nice people

Cons

Company is doing very poorly, they are losing money and won't survive for an extended future, they've been letting tons of valuable employees go not to do performance, but due to them hemorrhaging money; lots people have been quitting; they'll let you go before they give you a raise - even if you've agreed on it; not progressive at all, unwilling to change despite saying they want to; to the interns: don't do it, they'll work you 50-60 hours, not pay you well and I've never seen them hire one; it's really boring and not fulfilling at all; it's definitely a boys club, don't expect to be promoted; many incompetent employees including managers who are there solely because they are friends with the very high placed people in the company; salary is poor, benefits are worse; health insurance was cut to save money and is now pretty much nonexistent, I've had to pay thousands of my own money for prescriptions; talking behind each other's backs in encouraged; promotions don't happen often; not understanding or reasonable about personal matters; some inappropriate upper level management going way over the line of sexual harassment, nothing is done to address this

Advice to Management

Let managers that aren't doing well go, even if they're your friends; I don't even think you can fix it at this point, sell everything and try not to go bankrupt

9. "Decent Company"

Former Employee - Technical Support in Ann Arbor, MI
    Former Employee - Technical Support in Ann Arbor, MI

I worked at NAPCO Media full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

There are reasonably good opportunities to grow and learn with this company. There is a decent work/life balance.

Cons

The pay is not particularly great, and expectations can be a bit unreasonable during busy times.

"Great Company, good management"

Former Employee - Marketing Director in Philadelphia, PA
    Former Employee - Marketing Director in Philadelphia, PA

I worked at NAPCO Media full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

There has been a definite positive shift in team moral at NAPCO. My management team was great. They are supportive, and they encourage employees to better themselves and take their position to the next level. They trust their employees and do not micro manage. I have definitely grown and improved my skills at this company. I would recommend working here, I am actually very sad to go. I cannot believe the number of negative reviews below.

Cons

I really don't have any. Maybe benefits.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you are doing!

"Beware"

Former Employee - Production in Philadelphia, PA
    Former Employee - Production in Philadelphia, PA

I worked at NAPCO Media full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Close proximity to the art museum

Cons

After working there for a several years I realized that it was a boys club, lacked diversity in upper management, and actually seemed to prefer the status quo.

Advice to Management

You have some xenophobic managers that talk out loud in public spaces about things and groups of people (ethnic slurs) that could cause you some legal problems. But then again I find it very hard to believe that the upper management is unaware of this- so oh well carry on.