NAPCO Media Reviews | Glassdoor

Dave Leskusky

Sort: PopularRatingDate

"Great work culture."

I worked at NAPCO Media full-time

Pros

- Had a lot of room to run my own campaigns
    - Developed a ton of really valuable marketing skills and core competencies
    - Little to no micromanagement
    - Marketing department had a clear vision, which is so much rarer than you'd think
    - Patty Perkins was one of the best managers I've ever had. She was performance-oriented and seem genuinely to be interested in cultivating the best in her staff.
    - Company leadership fostered a positive culture without forcing you to "drink the koolaid"
    - Leadership was easier to access than I would have expected and treated me like a respected peer (even when I was younger and inexperienced.)
    - Lots of diversity, especially in terms of age and generation which I found to be extremely valuable experience later on in my career.

Cons

Sometimes change was a slow-moving ship
    Mobility was rather elusive
    Compensation was not competitive at the time, but benefits were pretty generous
    Some moderate turnover periods

Advice to Management

Keep this positive trajectory going!

"Good company"

I have been working at NAPCO Media full-time

Pros

Casual environment. People are friendly and truly care about you and your success. A wide range of products and services make for an ever changing work day. Keeps you on your toes and gives you a wide range of experience.

Cons

Conservative with wage increases. Lacking in communication on larger, company wide goals. Certain departments are treated better than others.

Advice to Management

Make sure everyone from the executive team down has a base level of knowledge. It's hard to respect your supervisor when they can't even switch an image in powerpoint or attach something to an email.

3. "Great place to work!"

Current Employee - Events
    Current Employee - Events

I have been working at NAPCO Media full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Events is a work hard play hard business, but NAPCO really allows hands-on experience and learning. The events department is stacked with a great team that is always willing to pitch in and help each other whenever needed. The company has great culture and friendly employees.

Cons

Can't think of any downsides

"Excellent place to work"

I have been working at NAPCO Media full-time

Pros

The people are wonderful, the work is challenging and interesting, and maintaining a positive culture that is in keeping with the family oriented business is top priority for management. Work-life balance is very important to the organization.

Cons

Too much opportunity for growth, sometimes it can be hard to prioritize what to go after.

Mar 8, 2017 – Human Resources Representative

We are thrilled that your experience at NAPCO Media reflects the energetic and rewarding work environment we set out to create! It can be difficult to maintain a healthy work-life balance amidst such... More

"Decent entry level, not a place to make a career"

I have been working at NAPCO Media full-time

Pros

You can learn a lot about publishing, writing, new media and design. Entry- and middle-level staff are helpful, kind and happy to teach

Cons

Sales-oriented leadership who goals are very short-term. Frequent conflicts between sales and editorial. Editorial is always second place.

Mar 8, 2017 – Human Resources Representative

Thank you for taking the time to share about your experiences at NAPCO Media. We are glad that during your time with us, you were able to learn about the industry and had positive experiences with... More

6. "Slow to adjust to changing media landscape"

I worked at NAPCO Media full-time

Pros

mid-level people were always helpful

Cons

Upper level management slow moving

Feb 7, 2017

Thank you for sharing this feedback. As a company who has recently taken the leap from a traditional publisher to a dynamic media company, we recognize there are many exciting opportunities ahead of... More

7. "AD"

I have been working at NAPCO Media full-time

Pros

community, honesty, enjoyable, trustworthy, fun

Cons

there are no down sides

Dec 23, 2016 – Human Resources Representative

We work hard to make sure our work environment is comprised of open and honest communication between a network of trustworthy employees. We are thrilled to hear that has been your experience and that... More

"Better than most publishing gigs in Philly"

I have been working at NAPCO Media full-time

Pros

If you have drive, you will be able to run with your ideas. The teams are small (both a pro and con), and the president makes sure he knows everyone, which is nice.

Cons

Typical office bureaucracy, there aren't always opportunities to advance, and the workload can get out of hand at times.

Advice to Management

Invest in resources, and don't say yes to all the things. Be choosy about what projects we take on to be sure they're the RIGHT ones.

"Event Manager"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Philadelphia, PA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Philadelphia, PA

I worked at NAPCO Media full-time (More than a year)

Pros

NAPCO was great at getting you a ton of hands on experience. From the time I started to the time I left I learned so much about the industry and was able to advance my marketing and event knowledge considerably. I was given quite a bit of responsibility that I hadn't had in previous roles which very much helped me advance my career to where I am now.

Cons

As mentioned in some of the other reviews, the work load between people within a department tends to be lopsided. Although it was great getting the experience, unless something changes, it is very easy to get burned.

Also, NAPCO is set up as a flat organization. This hierarchy type has a ton of perks, however I found it difficult to move up long term because of it.

"A company on the rise"

I worked at NAPCO Media full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The move from North American Publishing Company to NAPCO Media was a reflection of the work the company was already doing. The company has a lot of creative talent and they are regularly coming up with new ideas to stay relevant in each of the B2B markets the company serves.

Cons

Compensation and workload are uneven. Base salaries sound fair if you are working a 40-hour work week, but some client projects require closer to 60 hours a week. The company is still figuring out how to fairly compensate the people who work on those projects.