NASA Jet Propulsion Laboratory Employee Reviews about "work life balance"
89% would recommend to a friend
(107 total reviews)
Dr. Laurie Leshin
90% approve of CEO
Found 107 of over 1K reviews
Updated Dec 6, 2023
- Most Recent
- Highest Rating
- Lowest Rating
What people are saying about NASA Jet Propulsion Laboratory
The Work-Life Bowl
9 months ago
Does anyone work for the Jet Propulsion Lab? I recently interviewed for a cybersec position and very much enjoyed the interview, work team, and culture. If offered the position, I’d love to know how strong the JPL BRAND is in regards to future opportunities— like in tech? I ask bc I was told by a one tech co that they didn’t want to hire me bc I “didn’t have any BRAND name companies” on my resume yet. How does JPL stack against other top tier companies? Will they be a good doorway to tomorrow?
Salaries in Tech
9 months ago
I recently interviewed for a cybersec position with the Jet Propulsion Lab (JPL/NASA) and very much enjoyed the interview, work team, and culture. If offered the position, I’d love to know how strong the JPL BRAND is in regards to future opportunities— like in tech? I ask bc I was told by a one tech recruiter that I “didn’t have any BRAND name orgs” on my resume, hence why I didn’t get hired. So how does JPL stack? Is JPL a good “doorway” to future tech industry job opps?
Got a burning question about NASA Jet Propulsion Laboratory? Just ask!
On Glassdoor, you can share insights and advice anonymously with NASA Jet Propulsion Laboratory employees and get real answers from people on the inside.
Top Review Highlights by Sentiment
Excerpts from user reviews, not authored by Glassdoor
- "Full of open minded and great people willing to help" (in 147 reviews)
- "Great work/life balance (if flight project deadline is not coming up soon)" (in 53 reviews)
- "The JPL campus is beautiful as well." (in 36 reviews)
- "Good benefits when properly employed (is what I heard)" (in 35 reviews)
- "Everyone was friendly and knowledgable." (in 31 reviews)
- "Low pay and quite stressful at times" (in 71 reviews)
- "Low salary paid to entry level engineers compared to industry." (in 33 reviews)
- "Management and bureaucracy do their best to keep you from doing your job" (in 33 reviews)
- "No or limited parking for interns" (in 32 reviews)
- "Some managers have no business being managers because they can't delegate (this is true across NASA)." (in 19 reviews)
Ratings by Demographics
This rating reflects the overall rating of NASA Jet Propulsion Laboratory and is not affected by filters.
Reviews about "work life balance"Return to all Reviews
- 5.0Nov 29, 2021Engineering Undergraduate IVCurrent Employee, less than 1 yearPasadena, CA
Salary is competitive and the amount of experience gained is priceless. A very diverse workplace that emphasizes inclusion and the importance of work/life balance.
Academic part-time has a minimum of 10 hours per week and a maximum of 30 hours per week
- 5.0Aug 23, 2019Robotics EngineerCurrent Employee, more than 8 yearsPasadena, CA
You can be part of amazing project that aren't done anywhere else in the world. Lots of mobility between different projects and roles so that you are constantly learning new skills and working on new challenges. You have lots of autonomy in how you get your job done, the hours that you work. A good work/life balance with a 9/80 schedule where you work 9 hours each work day and get every other Friday off.
A large organization where things sometimes take longer than they should.1
- 5.0Jan 20, 2020Systems Software EngineerFormer Intern, less than 1 yearPasadena, CA
- The work done is incredibly valuable and educational - Lots of opportunities/events for interns - Great work/life balance (if flight project deadline is not coming up soon)
- Pay is very low compared to other aerospace companies - Chance to get a full-time return offer extremely low
- 5.0Oct 3, 2022Signal Analysis EngineerCurrent Employee, more than 1 yearPasadena, CA
- Unique opportunity to explore research interests without being tied solely to other project commitments - Ability to strike work-life balance and work from home - 401K contribution offered without having to match
- Good salary, but not keeping face with other academic institutions, let alone private industries - Lack of flexibility/employer contribution with spartan PPO plan1
- 4.0Aug 24, 2018Aerospace EngineerCurrent Employee, more than 10 yearsPasadena, CA
Exciting place to work at, and interesting tasks and duties. Great work and life balance.
Job growth for mid-level engineers is slow. Most people either leave after 10 years or stick it out for the rest of their career.3
- 3.0Dec 12, 2019Mechanical EngineerCurrent Employee, more than 8 yearsPasadena, CA
Work life balance is great....if you get the chance to take advantage of it.... cool projects.
They will work you hard, not give you credit for your critical contributions to projects, not promote you, not pay you what the "market" truly is, and then gaslight you when you ask good questions about it... seems they are trying to do the "spaceX thing" where they take advantage of the "coolness" factor of working here. The tax you pay for getting to work at JPL...8
- 5.0May 15, 2015Anonymous EmployeeCurrent Employee, more than 1 year
Good balance of work and life. Amazing people, ready to help others.
Can't think of anything at the moment. Best place I have worked so far in may career.