NAWC Computer Scientist Reviews | Glassdoor

NAWC Computer Scientist Reviews

Updated Feb 4, 2019

3.1
  1. "Good Work, Horrible Location"

Current Employee - Computer Scientist in China Lake, CA

I have been working at NAWC full-time for more than a year

Pros

Fun exciting work Doing exactly what I went to school for Flexible hours. (Can choose the times you work as long as you do the required amount of hours) Earn 2.5 weeks of annual leave a year

Cons

Just hate the location. This particular site is in China Lake, CA which is the desert. There is really nothing to do here. Its an isolated location with the nearest city to do things 1.5 hrs away. Gets extremely hot here during the summer. The location just sucks to the max.

Advice to Management

My experience with management has been pleasant. They are very helpful, and want to see you succeed. So keep up the good work

NAWC2016-06-02
  2. "Slow paced"

Current Employee - Computer Scientist in Ridgecrest, CA

I have been working at NAWC full-time for less than a year

Pros

9/80 schedule, work life balance. Most teams are pretty relaxed and people are friendly.

Cons

Slow processes to get anything done. Wouldn't recommend working here more than a few years if you're just starting your career. Most work is updating ancient things.

Advice to Management

Invest more in new tools and training. It feels like there's never enough time to learn to do things right, but there's always time to do things twice.

NAWC2019-02-05

"Decent place to work and good place to start your career - but needs serious reformation"

Current Employee - Computer Scientist in Ventura, CA

I have been working at NAWC full-time for more than a year

Pros

- infinite job security unless you lack common sense - essentially guaranteed (very small) raises - extremely good & affordable healthcare and benefits - a bunch of other benefits that I don't even know about (paid or part time still being paid masters/phd in any field you'd like, Navy facility use, etc) - 9/80 work schedule - ridiculously good work-life balance - very relaxed and low-stress environment... (for the most part) - you can work and learn and develop yourself at your own pace - great place to start your career - flexibility wealth of experiences through new grad (ESDP) program, allowing you to do rotations between departments and pick the one you like the best - actually very interesting and meaningful work that really needs to get done and SHOULD be done by you (the government employee) - strong potential for advancement in the ladder if you stick around long enough

Cons

- pay is way below market average, raises are by seniority/time and not by performance - you essentially do not get any recognition for your performance unless you play politics - large bureaucratic inefficiencies overall - multiple departments are essentially building the same thing over and over again and competing against each other - technology CAN be very outdated and potential to get to industry standard is... slow - you might be doing NO work at all depending on what department you're working at - following on that, you have to do an extremely large amount of worthless mind-bogging government training - the location is terrible if you're in China Lake (unless you like that kinda thing)

Advice to Management

You need to communicate properly between departments to build something useful instead of having zero coordination. MOST importantly, you need to get rid of the seniority pay system/salary ceilings if you actually want to keep anyone - every good candidate that starts out as a new grad will leave and just use this place as a stepping stone. This is very unfortunate in the grand scheme of things, because all... the real military technology work SHOULD be done in-house in the government instead of being outsourced out to defense contractors, who inefficiently utilize taxpayer money to do work that could be done in a much more cost and time-efficient manner. I actually WANT to keep working here for moral reasons, since if defense work will continue to need to be done, it SHOULD be done within the government and not by politicians giving out fat contracts to contractors.

NAWC2018-05-13
  4. "NAVAIR Review"

Former Employee - Computer Scientist in Lexington Park, MD

I worked at NAWC full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Supporting the war fighter and travel.

Cons

Lack of modern technology as compared to industry

Advice to Management

None

NAWC2018-02-07
  5. "Great for a stepping stone out of school -- no reason to stay if you are good."

Current Employee - Computer Scientist in Ventura, CA

I have been working at NAWC full-time for less than a year

Pros

- Excellent time off (4 hrs sick + 4 hrs annual leave every 2 weeks + all holidays) - Many opportunities to learn different technologies on different projects with minimal commitment - Relaxed/understanding work environment - Great way to get a Secret (or higher) clearance and then move to private industry - many low level managers are great people and the work is "for a good cause"

Cons

- SUPER slow work environment - EXTREME adversity to change. Higher ups talk big game - then no execution or money where their mouth is. Or there will be... 3-4 years from now. Why wait when you can go somewhere that does it right and timely? - older working just waiting for retirement - most projects are old sustainment, not new technology - many folks get in late and leave early - you'll make many thousands... less $$ than the guy on Facebook all day who has worked there for 10+ years - Good work is not rewarded while bad work on high visibility projects is. End of year write-ups for salary increase are on how well you write about your high visibility project, not the quality of your work.

Advice to Management

No CS major worth their salt would stay working for NAWCWD when industry provides significantly better benefits.

NAWC2018-02-17

"Little support from upper management."

Computer Scientist in Ridgecrest, CA

I worked at NAWC

Pros

There are good benefits like health care and government tenure. There was also comp time granted for travel and work time. Some really great people on the team who care about the work and the mission to support the warfighter.

Cons

I worked with some very wonderful individual contributors, who are smart, capable and worked very hard, we were a good team within the larger team. I was very sad to leave them, but management were not supportive. Upper management didn't ever have a good handle on who it was actually making things happen. They relied too much on reports from middle management who also didn't always know how things were being... accomplished. Merit was not based on what was being accomplished, my NSPS rating was not based on my contribution, I assume it was not given any consideration, when I filed for reconsideration it was granted. The hiring process applied by Human Resources is odd, the interviewer was not allowed to interact with the candidate, just ask a pre-determined set of questions with no feedback. It made for a awkward interviews. Work distribution was not equitable, some people had very little to do while others were overloaded and could never catch up. I was so enthusiastic when I started, I was excited to see the program through BRAC and establish a strong cohesive team, but I was thwarted at every turn. There were people in unsuitable positions but there was never any buy-in to help get these people in positions that would be better for the team and themselves.

Advice to Management

Take a closer look at what is actually going on in your programs. Don't just assume what you hear in meeting is what is really happening.

NAWC2012-05-04