NAWC Reviews | Glassdoor

NAWC Reviews

Updated Oct 8, 2019

Found 70 reviews

3.5
  1. "Top Perfromers are not always recognized"

Current Employee - Cybersecurity in Patuxent River, MD

I have been working at NAWC full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

- Flex Fridays - Benefits - Stability

Cons

The Scientific and Technology Reinvention Laboratory (STRL) pay plan hinders top performers from earning a higher salary once the upper limit of a pay band is reached. NAWCAD does not seem to be awarding large bonuses for performance to competent cybersecurity workforce members. The Federal Cybersecurity Workforce Strategy issued on July 12, 2016, details Government wide actions to identify, expand, recruit, develop..., retain, and sustain a capable and competent cybersecurity workforce in key functional areas to address complex and ever-evolving cyber threats. Agency leaders can award up to 25 percent of annual pay bonus for retaining a top performing employee. Being capped out in my current pay band getting a rating of 3 and a bonus of 4K just seems odd and a bit of a backhanded gesture. I had no reason to receive a 3 rating when I have been a 4 for several years other than I am at a control point in my band and no salary increase will be awarded but on the other hand let’s give a 4K bonus which is a slap in the face to someone with advanced degrees and certifications in cybersecurity. That small of a bonus is not a retention incentive if anything it sends a clear message that I can do better elsewhere.

Advice to Management

Break down the competency fiefdoms that have been put in place by the deadwood senior leaders that exists within the organization. Recognize performance with meaningful awards/compensation. Look at the controls points within pay bands and get away from the GS mindset.

NAWC2019-01-08
  2. "Electrical Engineer"

Current Employee - Electrical Engineer in Patuxent River, MD

I have been working at NAWC full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Flexible work hours. Great working environment. A lot of recreational activities.

Cons

New employees process is tedious.

NAWC2018-09-08
  3. "Good place to start"

I worked at NAWC full-time

Pros

Very good work/life balance. I never worked more than my scheduled time. Good benefits package.

Cons

There is very little upward mobility in some NAWC organizations. Salaries for similar positions are inconsistent.

Advice to Management

Offer more upward mobility to attract the best talent.

NAWC2018-09-04
  4. "Either you love it or you hate it"

Current Employee - Computer Engineer in Ridgecrest, CA

I have been working at NAWC full-time for less than a year

Pros

Laid back environment, taking long weeks off is not looked down upon, you can spend alot of time doing nothing since the base is huge

Cons

The pay is LOW, your promotions take forever and its barely anything, there is nothing to do in the China Lake area at all, they hire you onto the job then you got to look for jobs in the job (picture it like looking for internships).

Advice to Management

Throw away the ESDP program or make a program where graduated that know what they want to do, can get into working right away.

NAWC2018-08-18
  5. "Not bad - boring though"

I have been working at NAWC

Pros

Good pay for military vets needing somewhere to go

Cons

Boring and routine, slow advancement.

NAWC2018-08-09
  6. "Engineer"

Current Employee - Engineer

I have been working at NAWC full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Great work life balance, overtime

Cons

Bureaucracy gets in the way with a lot of what you are trying to do, lower pay than industry.

NAWC2018-06-27

"Life and work at NAWCWD - China Lake"

Current Employee - Electrical Engineer in China Lake, CA

I have been working at NAWC full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Endless opportunities for different work Challenging, unique work Good supervisors Opportunity to do a lot of travel and see your work in the battle arena Opportunity to acquire a government passport and secret/top secret clearance Most supervisors are very flexible to suit your personal/professional needs Great place to live if you are an outdoors person Excellent night sky (for amateur astronomers) Very... religious, quiet, military-friendly, and conservative town (if those are important to you) Income to COLA/mortgage/rent is perhaps the best in the country Commute is minimal with minimal traffic

Cons

Social life is difficult here (hard to date, better off going to date in the larger cities) Most significant others will not like it here Air is very dry/weather is very hot in summer and it is very windy throughout the year an it is very dusty Restaurants are not as good as they can be A lot of roads need maintenance

Advice to Management

Be as flexible as possible; lots of people go government because it is generally a more flexible work environment. We have lost a lot of good people because of lack of flexibility. Be sure to make everyone's tenure here a memorable one; that way they will stay and if they leave they will perhaps return.

NAWC2018-06-20
  8. "Materials Engineer"

Current Employee - Materials Engineer in Patuxent River, MD

I have been working at NAWC full-time for less than a year

Pros

A lot of flexibility, benefits, you mold your career to accommodate your goals and desires, there's something for everyone, really easy to move around. A lot of developing opportunities. I got funded to do a rotation with Boeing for 6 months as part of my developedmental program

Cons

Slow paced, you don't really see the fruits of your work and contributions.

Advice to Management

Work on getting employees motivated and engaged, acknowledge their contributions and handwork , it's really easy to get by doing just the bare minimum.

NAWC2018-06-24
  9. "Decent Place, terrible location"

Current Employee - Program Manager in Lakehurst, NJ

I have been working at NAWC full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Plenty of room for growth

Cons

Wish it was in a better part of NJ.

NAWC2018-05-22
  10. "Mechanical Engineer"

Current Employee - Mechanical Engineer in Lakehurst, NJ

I have been working at NAWC full-time for more than a year

Pros

The people who work here are very friendly. The enviroment is set up to make you feel comftorable and appreciated. The amenities provided such as the gym are also great

Cons

There is not much to say here, but one thing working with the goverment is that everything is slow. Everyone moves slow so when you need something done quick, it will not be done quick.

Advice to Management

With my expereince the managment has been very helpful and understanding of all situations. I know that this may not speak to every manager.

NAWC2018-05-14