NAWC Reviews | Glassdoor

NAWC Reviews

Updated Oct 8, 2019

3.5
  1. "Great Opportunities with NAWC"

I have been working at NAWC full-time

Pros

Job security and opportunities for job rotations

Cons

Lower salary in comparison to private industry

NAWC2017-11-20

"Great Benefits, Slow work"

Current Employee - Physicist ESDP in Point Mugu NAWC, CA

I have been working at NAWC full-time for more than a year

Pros

You work less than 40 hours a week, get 2 fridays per month off because its a flex friday schedule, and 10 federal holidays. It's very easy and pretty common for people to have a moonlighting gig or serious hobby after work which is cool. In addition every paycheck comes with 8 hours of paid leave and you'd be surprised how fast that adds up. The work for a new ESDP (Engineering Scientist Development Program) is... pretty chill and not very stressful at all. They rotate you around different departments and I've done everything from Geophysics, Electronic Warfare, and GPS Systems in that order. No one gets fired except for timecard fraud or physical violence so you have even more job security than a tenured professor or CPA. You get military discounts for everything from gas, to haircuts, to lift tickets, and even basketball games. This is the most tolerant place I've ever worked. People assume there's political talk and beef working in the military but contrary to popular beleif the government treats all its employees like grey cubes and no one ever gets mistreated. People are friendly, from around the country, and extremely respectful.

Cons

There's a pretty good chance eventually you'll start coming into work with nothing to do, literally nothing on your task list from the chain of command. This can be seen as a pro but it also leads to boredom, and the unsatisfying feeling when someone asks "What do you do at work?" And the first thing that pops into my head is "nothing..." Not to mention the slow pace of the acquisition cycle: Let's say you work... on a project that gets approved and funded in 2020. You won't see it materialize or even begin to get deployed until 2025. Your pay is lower than average for this type of work, if you were working at a giant defense contractor or in the private sector you'd probably be getting about $10,000 more per year. If you end up working here you're going to have the choice to work in Ridgecrest, CA or Point Mugu, CA. I would choose the latter, Ridgecrest is in the middle of f***ing nowhere where they do ordinance testing and cooler projects, but after the workday you're in this tiny hick desert town with nothing to do.

NAWC2017-11-14
  3. "Program analyst"

Former Employee - Program Analyst in Patuxent River, MD

I worked at NAWC full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Very secure employment with good protection from layoffs.

Cons

Almost complete lack of managerial accountability.

Advice to Management

Need to invest more in training employees in latest techniques and software. You can’t expect proficiency when training funds are used for cost savings purposes.

NAWC2017-11-25
  4. "NATEC REVIEW"

Management Analyst in San Diego, CA

I have been working at NAWC for more than 3 years

Pros

The company has a very competitive salary, great employees and outstanding benefits.

Cons

HR is slower than expected in some areas but other than that, I haven't found any Cons.

Advice to Management

Offer more incentives for employees to submit recommended business changes, recommendations and ideas that they feel will benefit the organizatons.

NAWC2017-10-24
  5. "Navy agency"

I worked at NAWC full-time

Pros

benefits, growth opportunities, excellent training, team work, leadership

Cons

Very fast paces. Could be very stressful. Oppsition and challenges with other integrated product team members are common due to different work knowledge and objectives even though it is to accomplish the same end goal.

Advice to Management

Support role of the contract specilist as an integral part of the IPT from the liability and legal responsibility we hold.

NAWC2017-10-21
  6. "Electrical Engineer"

I have been working at NAWC

Pros

Salary may low but if you adds up all the benefits, you actually get more money than from anywhere else

Cons

There are so many trainings that you have to go through and that would cause you hate your life.

NAWC2017-05-21

"Good 1st job"

Current Employee - Principal Researcher in Lakehurst, NJ

I have been working at NAWC full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Easy going, opportunities for training and certifications, automatic salary increases due to the steps in the GS payscale, great job security, excellent work-life balance

Cons

Depending on your location, upward mobility can be difficult (especially true for Lakehurst). Very political culture, innovation is hindered due to "swimlane" issues. Scope of work is limited as contractors due most of the hands on engineering and design so NAWC employees are stuck with the systems engineering and reviews. Some of the trainings are a waste of time. Paperwork as usual since it is a government... agency/institution

Advice to Management

Get rid of the toxic political culture so you can foster innovation. Provide opportunities for growth.

NAWC2017-03-04

"NAVAIR employee"

Current Employee - Project Engineer in Patuxent River, MD

I have been working at NAWC full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Fantastic developmental programs for engineers in all stages of life. Relatively quick promotions... The work life balance is awesome... 40 hour weeks unless you are in the test department.

Cons

Tons of bureaucracy, little to no engineering work, it doesn't feel like you are actually contributing to anything, and program managers do not value your input.

Advice to Management

Stop boxing in your employees. Young, talented, and driven employees cannot be appropriately compensated via STRL... there will be a mass exodus of up and comers once they realize the new downward pressures being placed on salaries and promotions.

NAWC2016-12-28

"Systems Engineer"

I worked at NAWC full-time

Pros

Great training programs, rotations, motivated to help employees find their ideal position; plenty of meaningful work; great people; good location; good work-life balance; great continuing education program options

Cons

Just my limited observations: not much energy, excitement, motivation, drive; process and procedure oriented which comes with working in any large company, but it makes it difficult to be creative and motivated

NAWC2016-12-28

"Good government stability, but painful government bureaucracy"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Ridgecrest, CA

I have been working at NAWC full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

NAVAIR has been a great place to start my career, and has given me the opportunity to work in a number of diverse fields, ranging from design and development to test and evaluation, as well as taking ownership of tasking from conception to delivery. The big bonus is seeing that your work matters and has a place in the national defense. A few bullet points are: * Leadership/Management - We get to hear from... senior leadership periodically, and I am always impressed by their competency and passion to serve the warfighter. My direct supervisor is also * Unique problems - Getting to work on naval air systems is pretty sweet. * Cost of living - Ridgecrest leaves much to be desired, but the cost of living here is about as low as it can get in California * Commute - being a small town the commute is nothing, and lends itself to cycling very well * Job stability - being nearly guaranteed a job year after year is quite nice * Work/life balance - Overtime is uncommon (unless you want it), and you can take time off almost whenever you want. Having sick leave is also quite nice, so you don't have to burn your vacation time to see the doctor or stay home sick.

Cons

As with all government agencies, there are far too many employees who have hung around doing nothing way too long that should have been let go LONG ago, which is one of the costs of government stability. I'll try and bulletize a few more: * Management - I know this was a pro, but it is definitely a con for many. My direct supervisor is great, but the layers of management we have are absurd and are destroying... the organization. The higher the manager the less connected to what's going on they are, which is why we still have such awful training and development plans. * Location - The desert is for some people, but I'm getting tired of 110F heat in the summer. * Tedious tasking - a lot of what I've done has been great, but the contractors do most of the "fun stuff" a.k.a. design work, and we're thrown the leftovers. * Training - the absurd amount of irrelevant training we're forced to go through is ridiculous, and the lack of ability to take classes relevant to my field is a significant hinderance to my career.

Advice to Management

Fire the slackers or fire yourself. One of you needs to go. Bring in some more real engineering work, because most of what I do I could accomplish with only my high school education.

NAWC2017-01-05