NAWC "work life balance" Reviews | Glassdoor

NAWC Employee Reviews about "work life balance"

Updated Oct 8, 2019

3.4
Pros
  • "Lots of professional development opportunities; good benefits; variety of opportunities for work/research; good work/life balance(in 10 reviews)

• "Job security and opportunities for job rotations(in 9 reviews)

Cons
  • "(in 3 reviews)

• "Also, upper management tends to work against the worker bee, while lower managements tends to go to bat for us(in 3 reviews)

Reviews about "work life balance"

Return to all Reviews
  1. "good and bad"

Current Employee - Chemical Engineer in China Lake, CA

I have been working at NAWC full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Cons

Burden of "additional duties" with no added benefit to employee; no paid maternity leave (just FMLA); not mission funded/Navy working capital fund; distance to airport for travel

NAWC2019-05-09
  2. "Slow paced"

Current Employee - Computer Scientist in Ridgecrest, CA

I have been working at NAWC full-time for less than a year

Pros

9/80 schedule, work life balance. Most teams are pretty relaxed and people are friendly.

Cons

Slow processes to get anything done. Wouldn't recommend working here more than a few years if you're just starting your career. Most work is updating ancient things.

Advice to Management

Invest more in new tools and training. It feels like there's never enough time to learn to do things right, but there's always time to do things twice.

NAWC2019-02-05
  3. "Good place to start"

I worked at NAWC full-time

Pros

Very good work/life balance. I never worked more than my scheduled time. Good benefits package.

Cons

There is very little upward mobility in some NAWC organizations. Salaries for similar positions are inconsistent.

Advice to Management

Offer more upward mobility to attract the best talent.

NAWC2018-09-04

"Decent place to work and good place to start your career - but needs serious reformation"

Current Employee - Computer Scientist in Ventura, CA

I have been working at NAWC full-time for more than a year

Pros

- infinite job security unless you lack common sense - essentially guaranteed (very small) raises - extremely good & affordable healthcare and benefits - a bunch of other benefits that I don't even know about (paid or part time still being paid masters/phd in any field you'd like, Navy facility use, etc) - 9/80 work schedule - ridiculously good work-life balance - very relaxed and low-stress environment... (for the most part) - you can work and learn and develop yourself at your own pace - great place to start your career - flexibility wealth of experiences through new grad (ESDP) program, allowing you to do rotations between departments and pick the one you like the best - actually very interesting and meaningful work that really needs to get done and SHOULD be done by you (the government employee) - strong potential for advancement in the ladder if you stick around long enough

Cons

- pay is way below market average, raises are by seniority/time and not by performance - you essentially do not get any recognition for your performance unless you play politics - large bureaucratic inefficiencies overall - multiple departments are essentially building the same thing over and over again and competing against each other - technology CAN be very outdated and potential to get to industry standard is... slow - you might be doing NO work at all depending on what department you're working at - following on that, you have to do an extremely large amount of worthless mind-bogging government training - the location is terrible if you're in China Lake (unless you like that kinda thing)

Advice to Management

You need to communicate properly between departments to build something useful instead of having zero coordination. MOST importantly, you need to get rid of the seniority pay system/salary ceilings if you actually want to keep anyone - every good candidate that starts out as a new grad will leave and just use this place as a stepping stone. This is very unfortunate in the grand scheme of things, because all... the real military technology work SHOULD be done in-house in the government instead of being outsourced out to defense contractors, who inefficiently utilize taxpayer money to do work that could be done in a much more cost and time-efficient manner. I actually WANT to keep working here for moral reasons, since if defense work will continue to need to be done, it SHOULD be done within the government and not by politicians giving out fat contracts to contractors.

NAWC2018-05-13

"Good 1st job"

Current Employee - Principal Researcher in Lakehurst, NJ

I have been working at NAWC full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Easy going, opportunities for training and certifications, automatic salary increases due to the steps in the GS payscale, great job security, excellent work-life balance

Cons

Depending on your location, upward mobility can be difficult (especially true for Lakehurst). Very political culture, innovation is hindered due to "swimlane" issues. Scope of work is limited as contractors due most of the hands on engineering and design so NAWC employees are stuck with the systems engineering and reviews. Some of the trainings are a waste of time. Paperwork as usual since it is a government... agency/institution

Advice to Management

Get rid of the toxic political culture so you can foster innovation. Provide opportunities for growth.

NAWC2017-03-04

"NAVAIR employee"

Current Employee - Project Engineer in Patuxent River, MD

I have been working at NAWC full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Fantastic developmental programs for engineers in all stages of life. Relatively quick promotions... The work life balance is awesome... 40 hour weeks unless you are in the test department.

Cons

Tons of bureaucracy, little to no engineering work, it doesn't feel like you are actually contributing to anything, and program managers do not value your input.

Advice to Management

Stop boxing in your employees. Young, talented, and driven employees cannot be appropriately compensated via STRL... there will be a mass exodus of up and comers once they realize the new downward pressures being placed on salaries and promotions.

NAWC2016-12-28

"Systems Engineer"

I worked at NAWC full-time

Pros

Great training programs, rotations, motivated to help employees find their ideal position; plenty of meaningful work; great people; good location; good work-life balance; great continuing education program options

Cons

Just my limited observations: not much energy, excitement, motivation, drive; process and procedure oriented which comes with working in any large company, but it makes it difficult to be creative and motivated

NAWC2016-12-28

"Good government stability, but painful government bureaucracy"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Ridgecrest, CA

I have been working at NAWC full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

NAVAIR has been a great place to start my career, and has given me the opportunity to work in a number of diverse fields, ranging from design and development to test and evaluation, as well as taking ownership of tasking from conception to delivery. The big bonus is seeing that your work matters and has a place in the national defense. A few bullet points are: * Leadership/Management - We get to hear from... senior leadership periodically, and I am always impressed by their competency and passion to serve the warfighter. My direct supervisor is also * Unique problems - Getting to work on naval air systems is pretty sweet. * Cost of living - Ridgecrest leaves much to be desired, but the cost of living here is about as low as it can get in California * Commute - being a small town the commute is nothing, and lends itself to cycling very well * Job stability - being nearly guaranteed a job year after year is quite nice * Work/life balance - Overtime is uncommon (unless you want it), and you can take time off almost whenever you want. Having sick leave is also quite nice, so you don't have to burn your vacation time to see the doctor or stay home sick.

Cons

As with all government agencies, there are far too many employees who have hung around doing nothing way too long that should have been let go LONG ago, which is one of the costs of government stability. I'll try and bulletize a few more: * Management - I know this was a pro, but it is definitely a con for many. My direct supervisor is great, but the layers of management we have are absurd and are destroying... the organization. The higher the manager the less connected to what's going on they are, which is why we still have such awful training and development plans. * Location - The desert is for some people, but I'm getting tired of 110F heat in the summer. * Tedious tasking - a lot of what I've done has been great, but the contractors do most of the "fun stuff" a.k.a. design work, and we're thrown the leftovers. * Training - the absurd amount of irrelevant training we're forced to go through is ridiculous, and the lack of ability to take classes relevant to my field is a significant hinderance to my career.

Advice to Management

Fire the slackers or fire yourself. One of you needs to go. Bring in some more real engineering work, because most of what I do I could accomplish with only my high school education.

NAWC2017-01-05
  9. "electronics engineer"

in Ventura, CA

I have been working at NAWC

Pros

benefits, flexibility, durable, and work life balance

Cons

politics, hard to move up, blunt skills

Advice to Management

give promotion early

NAWC2016-12-15
  10. "great place to work"

I have been working at NAWC

Pros

benefits, work-life balance, positive impact

Cons

very dependent upon project or group.

NAWC2016-03-30