NBCUniversal Reviews | Glassdoor

3.8

1,417 Employee Reviews

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Cons

1. "NBC Universal is GE...Great & Exceptional!!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Pros

NBC Universal, owned by General Electric, is an extraordinary company to work for. There are a vast number of reasons for this. For one, employees receive an excellent benefits package. GE coverage includes health & medical, dental and vision. Nowadays, with the price of virtually everything skyrocketing through the roof (have you seen gas prices lately?), it becomes increasingly imperative to have sufficient coverage. As a fairly recent graduate, I'm proud to say that my package with NBC Universal is better than any of my peers, and even a great number of family members, who have worked for the same company for years. They also offer a 401k plan. Likewise, I feel that my pay is fair and decent for a position just above entry level.

I get 11 sick days, 5 personal days and a week off in the unfortunate case of bereavement. I am afforded two weeks off, paid, during the holiday season in December. Between the months of late April to the end of August, when we are not in the middle of the tape season, I have every Friday off. This means I work Monday-Thursday, and I only work between the hours of 10:00 am - 5:00 pm. Finally, I have three weeks off, paid, during these months. Therefore, although during the regular season I am expected at the studio by 7:00 am three days a week (9:00 am two days a week), it is well worth it for the generally relaxing summer hours that I am allotted.

NBC Universal employees are also privy to a great number of discounts. This includes hotels, theatre tickets, sporting events, travel cell phones, rental cars, etc. I was surprised to find that just mentioning that I work for NBC Universal has gotten me a massive amount of discounts, many times in cases that I was not even expecting. Of course, we also get discounts at the Universal Studios theme parks, including Islands of Adventure, as well as on GE appliances. I just booked a trip to Orlando, utilizing my discounts on park tickets, hotels and even saved $30 per day on a car rental, merely by working for the company.

The company, and namely president and CEO Jeff Zucker, are very big on communication and organizing employee events. There are mass emails sent out to everyone within the network informing us of recent news, new programming, exciting changes, various opportunities to do volunteer work with fellow employees, concerns that employees have expressed and much more. They also encourage every employee to "go green" and strive to make efforts to further the cause, something that I personally find commendable and very important right now. On Earth Day this past year, there was a huge NBC wide event in New York City that included employees from multiple NBC Universal offices planting trees at various parks around the city. Celebrities, such as Bette Midler, came out to show support for a greener, healthier environment. They also express a desire for employees to get involved with charities, as they are willing to match donations. It is inspiring to work for a company that attempts to do good in the world.

To conclude, one can't go without mentioning the prestige of the very name "NBC Universal." Individually, NBC and Universal were both extremely successful, highly respected companies. Together, they are a powerhouse of accomplishment. Producing some of my favorite programs such as "Friends," "Will & Grace," "The Office," etc., there is no denying the high level of quality that is delivered by the network. I am truly proud to be an employee of NBC Universal and hope to grow within the company for many years to come.

Cons

Honestly, the downsides are few and far between. I suppose the only thing I could consider to be a downside (although it could also be considered a pro in some instances, rather than a con) is that it is such a massive company. This could certainly be intimidating to someone who is not used to working for a large corporation. It can make a person feel slightly more expendable than if they were to work for a smaller company in which the president and/or CEO is actually accessible and working within the same building. Employees of NBC Universal are not only spread throughout various offices in New York City, but in various offices around the world. If you prefer more personal, small scale operations, this may not be the place for you. But if you are looking to grow within a big, well established company with a great number of people to learn from, I certainly wouldn't consider its grand size too much of a downside.

Advice to Management

Again, NBC Universal is a huge company. Therefore, I certainly could not speak for the senior management all throughout. However, from my personal experience, I have worked with and for very knowledgeable, fair, motivating people who encourage a productive, yet fun working environment. They are adamant about everyone learning and doing their jobs to the best of their ability, but are also available to teach the appropriate skills needed to succeed within the company. My employers communicate with the staff regularly and work to keep morale up by celebrating birthdays, throwing wrap parties, and arranging baby showers. Everyone, from the Executive Producer to the janitors, are all included. One such janitor was surprised by the whole staff and crew as we presented him with a cake and a dessert spread for his last day before he returned to his native country. Therefore, I have no feedback for the Senior Management that I work with on a daily basis. I can only say that if certain NBC Universal employers are not communicating regularly with their staff, providing constructive criticism while also praising a job well done, and instilling confidence in their employees, I'd highly recommend that they do so. The executives that I work for have done all of the above and it has made for a great experience and a job that I don't dread doing.

2. "A great place to work."

Current Employee - IT Director in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - IT Director in Los Angeles, CA

Pros

The leadership training at GE is the best in the business. This training gives employees the opportunity capitalize on the limitless career paths that can be taken in the business.

Cons

If you are not the best at what you do, you will stand out and the leadership will correct the problem.

Advice to Management

Keep us going on the right path! In this uncertain world, there are many opportunities to grow our business.

3. "Overall a great place to work!"

Current Employee - Market Development Coordinator in Hialeah, FL
    Current Employee - Market Development Coordinator in Hialeah, FL

Pros

It's a huge comany with several branches in which to grow towards. Great benefits, and an excellent mentor program. I feel that that the company is interested in my professional growth. I've only been here a few months, but already I see a career path that I can work towards. I can see how in a few years I can really grow.

Cons

In my particular office, a downside is the facility. It's pretty old and doesn't have very many windows and things to make the work atmosphere a little more pleasent.

Advice to Management

If we are going to stay here, let's remodel!! If not..let's get moving!

4. "THE UNIVERSE IS YOURS AT NBC/UNIVERSAL"

Current Employee - Finance in Universal City, CA
    Current Employee - Finance in Universal City, CA

Pros

The best reason to work for NBC Universal is that our parent company GE has folded in amazing development tools to take any career to the next level. GE is a GLOBAL company which means if you do the work you can go anywhere in the universe with the company. They even pay for all of your college if you want.

Cons

The downside is that it's a very political culture and there are the "do you know who I am" LA LA attitudes here. I dont know that it would be like that somewhere else in the company probably only here in Los Angeles. Maybe NY.

Advice to Management

Relax.

5. "Good Match!"

Pros

Very nice benefits. There is a gym on the lot and you get to see movies before the come out!

Cons

Parking is terrible. They need way more spaces. I would advise you to get to work early if you want a decent park.

Advice to Management

Management seemed to care and that is what I liked about the job and why I would reccomend it to someone else.

6. "Awesome!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"

Current Employee - Anchor in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Anchor in New York, NY

Pros

great oppurtunities. Tons of fun and traveling experiences. Never a dull moment. You get to meet so many great people. Great pay. Lots of Fun.

Cons

hectic, very busy, long hours, you should work close to NBC, you must get your work in by deadline, !

Advice to Management

Very good spirits. Lots of praise to each other, uplifting spirits are very encouraging, Great Workplace to be a part of

7. "Cool place to work"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Pros

Creative environment to work and great co-workers. The content is pretty cool.

Cons

Upcoming Comcast merger doesn't seem to be closing anytime soon. Time will tell.

Advice to Management

The best advice for management is to focus on better programming on the NBC network would make the company better overall.

8. "Superior"

Former Employee - Marketing Intern in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Marketing Intern in New York, NY

Pros

Very organized and helpful internship program

Cons

Little to no assistance in post-graduate job search

Advice to Management

Continue Campus Relations Director assistance after graduation

"Great internship, no room to grow"

Former Employee - Intern in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Intern in Chicago, IL

Pros

Great internship experience with plenty of hands on learning.

Cons

No room to grow. in company from internship

Advice to Management

Hire more entry level college graduates

10. "It was very educational and helpful."

Current Employee - Intern in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Intern in New York, NY

Pros

The people are so nice and the work is fun.

Cons

The internship was not paid.

Showing 1,417 of 1,854 reviews